The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Pokémon Essentials

Notices

Pokémon Essentials All questions and discussion about Pokémon Essentials, the Pokémon game kit for RPG Maker XP, go in here. Also contains links to the latest downloads and the Essentials Wiki.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 21st, 2013, 03:12 PM
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

Advertise here
The only restriction on evolution is that, if you have convergent evolution (i.e. two different species can both evolve into the same species), then breeding that convergent species will only ever result in the lower-numbered pre-evolution species.

This scenario doesn't exist, of course.
Old November 21st, 2013, 04:00 PM
Worldslayer608
ಥдಥ
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
So is this idea pretty much out the window at this point? My understanding is that the only thing really stopping this from being included is the screen size would need adjusting which means all the screens and picture need to be redone and so forth. Right?

Pokemon Pillars of Destiny - Starters
To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...

Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
Old November 21st, 2013, 04:40 PM
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

Finding somewhere to squeeze a "Mega Evolve" button is the least of the problems.

At the moment, using an item is hard-coded to work immediately. Not "first", but "as part of choosing an action for the round". That is, before the opponent makes their action choice. This behaviour has a few problems with it, notably in double battles, such as if you use an item with your first Pokémon and then cancel your choice of what your second Pokémon does. The battle system requires a significant change in order to make item usage work as it should.

I mention item usage because Mega Evolution happens before it. So should switching Pokémon, actually. This major change to the battle system is required first before Mega Evolution can be added. This is the "biggie", the main obstacle. I wouldn't want to just ignore it because I'm not a half-arse kind of person and because it's actually not working quite the way it should anyway.

There's then the matter of how the Mega Evolution button should work. Should it be selectable like a move is? It'd be easier to have it as a separate option ("Press Z to register Mega Evolution") and keep the moves as the only things you can select. Even so, that functionality needs to be created out of nowhere and, yes, graphics fiddled with. Ideally it wouldn't interfere with the existing design, since not every game will have Mega Evolutions and we don't want a blatant meaningless space in the GUI for a button that will never appear.

Then there's implementing the Mega Evolution forms in the first place. Implementation has been discussed previously, and I maintain that forms would be the way to go (rather than creating some new form-like system specially for Mega Evolutions). Since the base for this actually exists, implementing that is relatively straightforward.

There are some other things too that need to be done, which I'm sure I've mentioned previously. AI, for example.

I would be interested to hear how people who claim to have implemented Mega Evolution in their games have managed it.
Old November 21st, 2013, 04:50 PM
Worldslayer608
ಥдಥ
Community Supporter

I myself am not using Mega Evolutions as they are in the original X Y. They function differently and as normal evolution forms atm. As far as I know, the other individuals putting them into the game are just adding them as forms or evolutions atm.

Old November 21st, 2013, 05:22 PM
lauerolus

That's my plan, branching evolution paths with their stats toned down a bit.

Other will be straight up event pokemon.
Old November 21st, 2013, 10:34 PM
p.claydon

Originally Posted by Dingyuan View Post
Can we actually add fourth evolutions to evolution lines? Never tried that one out :D
i dont see why we can not have as many evolution lines as we want as its just an entry in the pokemon.txt file
Old November 22nd, 2013, 12:54 AM
Worldslayer608
ಥдಥ
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
Finding somewhere to squeeze a "Mega Evolve" button is the least of the problems.

At the moment, using an item is hard-coded to work immediately. Not "first", but "as part of choosing an action for the round". That is, before the opponent makes their action choice. This behaviour has a few problems with it, notably in double battles, such as if you use an item with your first Pokémon and then cancel your choice of what your second Pokémon does. The battle system requires a significant change in order to make item usage work as it should.

I mention item usage because Mega Evolution happens before it. So should switching Pokémon, actually. This major change to the battle system is required first before Mega Evolution can be added. This is the "biggie", the main obstacle. I wouldn't want to just ignore it because I'm not a half-arse kind of person and because it's actually not working quite the way it should anyway.

There's then the matter of how the Mega Evolution button should work. Should it be selectable like a move is? It'd be easier to have it as a separate option ("Press Z to register Mega Evolution") and keep the moves as the only things you can select. Even so, that functionality needs to be created out of nowhere and, yes, graphics fiddled with. Ideally it wouldn't interfere with the existing design, since not every game will have Mega Evolutions and we don't want a blatant meaningless space in the GUI for a button that will never appear.

Then there's implementing the Mega Evolution forms in the first place. Implementation has been discussed previously, and I maintain that forms would be the way to go (rather than creating some new form-like system specially for Mega Evolutions). Since the base for this actually exists, implementing that is relatively straightforward.

There are some other things too that need to be done, which I'm sure I've mentioned previously. AI, for example.

I would be interested to hear how people who claim to have implemented Mega Evolution in their games have managed it.
I guess I am just wondering what your plans are for this feature. Do you plan on trying to actively figure something out? Or are you just going to let it lay? If it was a graphics issue holding it back above anything else I would be more than happy to redo the screens, but it sounds like you would like to take a less invasive approach to the interface and even then there are other hurdles in the way, which unfortunately I am unable to really help with it seems.

Old November 22nd, 2013, 05:15 AM
AlexTCGPro

Nature: Timid
Hey! I managed to add MegaEvolutions into my project, here's a video I made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5xooFXuD30

Here's how it works:

Your Pokémon needs to be holding a specific item (PurpleStone for Mewtwo) and have +220 of happiness.

Then during battle you use the MegaStone from your bag and your Pokémon will megaevolve and then attack in the same turn.

You can only MegaEvolve one Pokémon per Battle and it will return to normal after the battle is over.

Last edited by AlexTCGPro; November 22nd, 2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 07:18 AM
Dingyuan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTCGPro View Post

Here's how it works:

Your Pokémon needs to be holding a specific item (PurpleStone for Mewtwo) and have +220 of happiness.

Then during battle you use the MegaStone from your bag and your Pokémon will megaevolve and then attack in the same turn.

You can only MegaEvolve one Pokémon per Battle and it will return to normal after the battle is over.
That's pretty awesome, man! Could you provide some details on how you implemented this into the game? The item activation part I get, but how do you utilize an item in battle without your opponent immediately reacting to it (i.e. how do you Mega Evolve without that costing you a turn?)
Old November 22nd, 2013, 07:28 AM
AlexTCGPro

Quote:
That's pretty awesome, man! Could you provide some details on how you implemented this into the game? The item activation part I get, but how do you utilize an item in battle without your opponent immediately reacting to it (i.e. how do you Mega Evolve without that costing you a turn?)
In PokeBattle_Battler I have this

Code:
# Blastoise
    if isConst?(self.species,PBSpecies,:BLASTOISE) && hp>0
      if self.form!=@pokemon.form
      self.form=@pokemon.form
      megaevolved=true
      end
    end
    if megaevolved
      pbUpdate(true)
      @battle.scene.pbChangePokemon(self,@pokemon)
      @battle.pbDisplay(_INTL("¡{1} mega evoluciono!",pbThis))
      pbEndTurn(choice)
      pbBeginTurn(choice)
    end
So when the Pokémon MegaEvolves its turns ends and begins again, It's not the best solution because if the opponent uses a high priority move like quick attack or there's a weather active the Pokémon will be affected before it can attack but I can't figure out how to fix that and I tried everything.

Last edited by AlexTCGPro; November 22nd, 2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 07:34 AM
Dingyuan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTCGPro View Post
In PokeBattle_Battler I have this

Code:
# Blastoise
    if isConst?(self.species,PBSpecies,:BLASTOISE) && hp>0
      if self.form!=@pokemon.form
      self.form=@pokemon.form
      megaevolved=true
      end
    end
    if megaevolved
      pbUpdate(true)
      @battle.scene.pbChangePokemon(self,@pokemon)
      @battle.pbDisplay(_INTL("¡{1} mega evoluciono!",pbThis))
      pbEndTurn(choice)
      pbBeginTurn(choice)
    end
So when the Pokémon MegaEvolves its turns ends and begins again, It's not the best solution because if the opponent uses a hight priority move like quick attack or there's a weather active the Pokémon will be affected before it can attack but I can't figure out how to fix that and I tried everything.
Well, I guess that makes increased priority moves even more broken than they already are :D
Just kidding, though. This is amazing, man
Thanks for sharing this amazing code snippet.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 07:38 AM
AlexTCGPro

Quote:
Well, I guess that makes increased priority moves even more broken than they already are :D
Just kidding, though. This is amazing, man
Thanks for sharing this amazing code snippet.
No problem, its not perfect but I think its not a bad thing, I doubt a Pokémon will stay still while its opponent evolves, maybe its better this way.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 08:04 AM
Zeak6464
The MMO bringer

Send a message via Skype™ to Zeak6464
Now I my self don't understand how the Item thing works , still new to coding..
Thank you for releasing the code tho for during battle !
But Mega-Kang is going to be hard to do sense it atk 2x in a row...
Old November 22nd, 2013, 08:09 AM
AlexTCGPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeak6464 View Post
The item part its not that hard, just check the code for the pokeflute and you will figure everything yourself.
I have no idea how to add MegaKanga's ability, perhaps doubling damage instead of attacking twice or maybe not adding it at all.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 10:55 AM
Zeak6464
The MMO bringer

Thank you for the help , i didn't even think to look at the pokeflute lol
Old November 23rd, 2013, 01:24 AM
Dingyuan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeak6464 View Post
I implemented Mega-Kang by creating an ability that makes all moves hit twice in a row (like Twineedle). You might also have the first move it uses work the same way as Mega-Evolution -- first it strikes, then you end and restart the turn.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 05:17 PM
Zeak6464
The MMO bringer

Can some one Release the KeyItem they are using ??
I'm having trouble with Changing them to there mega form ....
And Mega-Kang ? WOW I so want it !
Old November 23rd, 2013, 05:29 PM
p.claydon

the thing with mega kangaskhan isnt the second attack meant to be half as strong
how can this be done?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here