• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Graphics.

3D Graphics good or Bad?

• Good

Votes: 103 88.8%
  • Bad

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Dosen't Matter

Votes: 6 5.2%

• Total voters

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
Now in 3D

With the drop of sprites and the rise of 3D models for all pokemon, what Pokemon can't you wait to see and battle in the upcoming game?

I can't wait to see a Mightyena battle in 3D. It would be very cool to see it attack. Another is an Archeops. Since it is new to 3D model battles, I can't wait how it's attack is animated.

What Pokemon can't you wait to see in 3D battling?

Discuss!

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
I am actually thinking that they will improve the textures later on in the year, 'cause I remember how Castelia City looked like when they first revealed the screenshots for Pokémon Black and White.

So I do assume there will be many things becoming more smoothed out.

And while I've been looking at the games, I've noticed how they're not using any texture blending things which the 3DS is capable of doing. So the textures still look pixelated, but I do assume they might end up using the texture blending capability later in the year though. Which would give the textures better detail in the game itself.

Shiny Bidoof

On fire
Years
  • Age 32
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jun 14, 2013
Pokemon should have gone full 3d years ago, so this was a long time coming IMO, but like I said, I'll go easy on em for X and Y. I'm just happy it finally has gone 3d. Better late than never, right?

I agree. I sort of expected it with Black and White, but I'm glad they finally went there. The game is looking beautiful already! I can't wait to see the finished product!

PsychoJigglypuff

Crazy and Loving It!
Years
I like the switch to 3D and even though it's a new look, it still feels like a Pokemon game.

The graphics will look better when you're playing the game compared to videos of it, especially when the game has months to be finished. Games always look better then their trailers.

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2013
After playing the Fire Emblem demo is was blown away by how good the graphics looked on the 3ds. If X and Y reach half the graphical beauty of that game, call me impressed. So excited.

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2014
I am actually thinking that they will improve the textures later on in the year, 'cause I remember how Castelia City looked like when they first revealed the screenshots for Pokémon Black and White.

So I do assume there will be many things becoming more smoothed out.

And while I've been looking at the games, I've noticed how they're not using any texture blending things which the 3DS is capable of doing. So the textures still look pixelated, but I do assume they might end up using the texture blending capability later in the year though. Which would give the textures better detail in the game itself.

The 3DS is capable of much more than the X and Y demo showed. Maybe it's just because the world is so big in Pokemon, and routes / towns can be quite large. Also, there is a larger rendering area because of the perspective. 3DS game carts are also limited to 8GB, which is a good amount for a portable game, but Pokemon B2/W2 was half a GB and DS games are usually much smaller than 3DS Games.

Also RE: Castelia City, all they did was change the colours. The textures in the final version were just as low-res. I don't think the graphics of Pokemon X and Y will benefit from that kind of tiny change.

blue

gucci
Years
It will be interesting to compare graphics from this months trailer next to a trailer in October, surely they've some alterations to make and in nine months things can improve.

Years
  • Seen Feb 26, 2022
Guys stop complaining about the graphics, they'll get better, and if you dont beleive me just look at castelia city before and after the game came out
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Worth noting - none of us have seen 3D versions of those graphics.
But what about 3D? All it does is add depth, and if anything you NEED good visuals for the 3D to be anything significant. Games that have the best 3D (MGS3, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Mario Kart 7 and Mario 3D Land) are already gorgeous games graphically and that's why they were so great on 3D. Also, 3D has drawbacks, mainly no anti-aliasing and lower framerate, and the game right now already is jagged and has pretty bad framerate.

3D didn't save NSMB2's visuals, in fact it made it worse. I've no doubt that they would up everything come release, but I'm setting my expectations fairly low.
Guys stop complaining about the graphics, they'll get better, and if you dont beleive me just look at castelia city before and after the game came out
All they did was add details. Frankly, it still looks ugly.

Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2013
I really liked the graphics of X and Y. Okay, it's a huge difference between BW2 to XY and it may looks a bit weird, but I think it's a matter of getting used to. I think battle graphics are awesome and I can't wait to see how battle menu will be. Overall, I'm impressed.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 11, 2023
I hope they improve the 3D models during development, certain blocks and models appear to be blurry and rugged, but this was just the first trailer, I'm sure the graphics would improve. If GameFreak made the graphics as good as Fire Emblem: Awakening, that would be awesome.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
The overworld looks odd and it could be improved on. It's also kind of weird seeing a full figure model for the trainer and that also looks a bit off. But there is 9 months for them to be improved on and I'm certain Gamefreak can make them look better. I guess I'm not use to seeing a full 3Ds overworld rather than the top-down view we've been used to all this time, but I'm sure I'll get used to it in nine months time. I'm keeping in mind that these are the first core Pokemon games for 3DS and that they still need to get used to the new hardware. Just looking at how much the graphics from BW2 were when looking at the graphics in DP (the 3D in particular).
The battles look even spectacular. I never thought battles would feel so real and I love the detail in the background and how attacks feel like they're gonna come right at us. And I love the usage of multiple camera angles though I hope that doesn't slow down battling. It's much of a step up from BW/BW2 and it's what basically got me sold on these games.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
All they did was add details. Frankly, it still looks ugly.

Well then, that's an opinion I don't really share. I would not call the improvement to be "details" (honestly, I forgot the Castelia City we saw in the first few screenshots and trailers was so ugly, because the final product was pretty good). If you disagree, that's fine. But I would not say it still looks ugly, and that's just me.

Like other people have said, they have a full nine months to improve the graphics. And as Shivamwazhere demonstrated, Gamefreak has been able to majorly and significantly improve the aesthetic appeal of areas such as Castelia City, from the first time we saw them to the final product within the game (which you apparently think of as "details", but honestly, I consider to be a major improvement). Besides, when it comes to Pokemon, the graphics themselves aren't the most important thing, which is why many of us still cherish games like G/S/C and the Stadium titles to this day.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
With 3D being the major factor in the game, how would the trainers look in battle and if they would be animated like BW2?

Animated for sure, but maybe not even a reduced size of the current protagonists. I remember in Pokemon games they get shrunk down but in these ones I don't think anyone will get shrunk down, so it'll be them kind of looking like they did in Colosseum/XD imo.

Years
  • Seen Feb 16, 2013
I don't get why people are complaining about how long the attacks took in Coliseum, XD Gale of Darkness and Battle Revolution. Didn't you all feel like awesome badasses as your avatar commanded your pokemon by pointing, and then your pokemon RESPONDED? The extra time of each attack allowed you to savor the fireblast that was being sent out. Heck, fireblast is a huge blast of fire, a big deal SHOULD be made of it.

This new game moving into 3D means that it is so much more engaging in the battles, and it looks as if battling will actually give me a real sense of satisfaction after each attack. This isn't perfect yet, but I can definitely see this moving towards the style of Coliseum. Actually having the trainer standing there in the battle is pretty darn satisfying, I have to say, and I hope this is added in a future game. I guess in a few months we might find out how battles look a little more. Note that double battles have not been shown yet, nor how attacks are selected. We'll find that out soon I hope!

Y'all need to quit complaining. This game is a million times more engaging than sprites. You can actually PARTICIPATE in the game, rather than feeling more like a bystander.

Victini

I personally feel it's a positive switch from the 2D we had with mainstream Pokemon handheld games for the longest time. The switch to 3D graphics was bound to occur eventually, and goodness am I happy that they went ahead with it on this new generation. The way the graphics look at the moment seem a bit confusing and not as bright and cheery as the other games, though... I'm hoping that they'll fix this in the final product. It just seems a little too realistic now... and I dunno about you guys, but I don't want the environment to be that way. ;__;

I want it to stay cartoon-y like it always has been...

Oh, and a note about the 'choppy' graphics... We haven't seen the game on a 3DS screen. Just on a video and screenshots that probably just came from a clearer video.

If the models for the Pokemon we've seen so far are final, or at least mostly final, the graphics will probably come up way less pixel-y and choppy on an actual 3DS.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
I don't get why people are complaining about how long the attacks took in Coliseum, XD Gale of Darkness and Battle Revolution. Didn't you all feel like awesome badasses as your avatar commanded your pokemon by pointing, and then your pokemon RESPONDED? The extra time of each attack allowed you to savor the fireblast that was being sent out. Heck, fireblast is a huge blast of fire, a big deal SHOULD be made of it.

This new game moving into 3D means that it is so much more engaging in the battles, and it looks as if battling will actually give me a real sense of satisfaction after each attack. This isn't perfect yet, but I can definitely see this moving towards the style of Coliseum. Actually having the trainer standing there in the battle is pretty darn satisfying, I have to say, and I hope this is added in a future game. I guess in a few months we might find out how battles look a little more. Note that double battles have not been shown yet, nor how attacks are selected. We'll find that out soon I hope!

Y'all need to quit complaining. This game is a million times more engaging than sprites. You can actually PARTICIPATE in the game, rather than feeling more like a bystander.

Even then, they'll most likely be an option to turn off battle animations to possibly speed up the battle. I will definitely be keeping them on personally because I agree with what you've said there. I can see why people who constantly grind would find it tedious though.

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2014
With 3D being the major factor in the game, how would the trainers look in battle and if they would be animated like BW2?

Do you remember in B/W2 when Bianca is giving you the Pokemon and it shows a 3D model of her? I imagine the trainers will look something like that in-battle. There's just no way they're going to show us fully-detailed Pokemon and have chibi trainers.

And for those saying you can't judge by the trailer and it will look better on the 3DS screen, you can at least compare it to other trailers of 3DS games. You will see quite clearly that the environment really looks crappy, even when compared to the new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game.

Last edited:
Back