• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: General Questions & Answers Thread

Have you ever found a shiny?

• Yes

Votes: 30 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Yes, but I lost it!

Votes: 14 23.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 3, 2017
Okay guys so I have been debating for a while, Having not purchased a 3DS (sticking to playing Rom Hacks lately) Do you think that I should get one so I will be able to play Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire as well as Pokemon X & Y? Thoughts please!
That depends on how you derive fun from games. Specifically Pokemon games, in this case.

Do you play for the story? Maybe you could just watch a Lets Play.
Do you play for the adventure? Maybe just stick with the original Generation III games.
Do you play for the community? You'd probably be best picking up a 3DS or 2DS.

I think we'd need to know a little bit more about you and how you play and what kind of games you gravitate towards.

If you do decide you want the games, keep in mind that you can get a 2DS. If you don't mind the top screen not folding down to fit in your pocket (Making it less convenient for travel) and you don't mind not having the 3D (Which is pretty minimal for these games) then it might be a worthwhile option.

Years
Okay guys so I have been debating for a while, Having not purchased a 3DS (sticking to playing Rom Hacks lately) Do you think that I should get one so I will be able to play Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire as well as Pokemon X & Y? Thoughts please!

Well if you want to play those game you need the console...

.Missingno

Viridian City Gym Leader
Years
Well if you want to play those game you need the console...

Well I understand that lol mainly asking because of Not having played X or Y, I know I'll like OR and AS but wouldn't want to get the 3DS for just those two ya know? How is X and Y??

Years
Well I understand that lol mainly asking because of Not having played X or Y, I know I'll like OR and AS but wouldn't want to get the 3DS for just those two ya know? How is X and Y??

I haven't played it but it looks awesome. I'll buy it some point just for those two as well so yeah.

.Missingno

Viridian City Gym Leader
Years
I haven't played it but it looks awesome. I'll buy it some point just for those two as well so yeah.

To Be Honest I am thinking I will. Mainly just trying to decide between 3DS and 2DS I don't really travel much (unless to work or what not) so not worried about the 2DS not closing but I'm not sure if the 2DS would take away from the experience

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
To Be Honest I am thinking I will. Mainly just trying to decide between 3DS and 2DS I don't really travel much (unless to work or what not) so not worried about the 2DS not closing but I'm not sure if the 2DS would take away from the experience

I've had my 2DS for a little over a week now and I'm not disappointed that I bought it at all. While it may be a bit of a shame that it can't close, the fact that it's cheaper and the fact that it's basically a 3DS without the 3D features (which barely anyone uses anyway) make it a good choice in comparison to the 3DS, especially if you're someone who doesn't travel often...it means the folding won't hinder you much at all. You could get a carry case with it anyway, like I did, but that costs a bit extra. X/Y plays basically the same without the aforementioned 3D, really. There's not much difference.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years

Trust me, not having 3D won't take away from your experience. I own a 3DS and haven't turned the 3D on in a long, long time. It's a headache to play with especially with the action games I like to play, so when I turn it on it's mostly just to see how it looks haha. Never for extended periods of time.

So what does that L=A function does?

If I recall correctly, it turns the L button (the one on the top left) into the A button, so if you are more comfortable keeping your finger on top of the 3DS it would be useful, especially since the A button is one you'll be pressing a lot.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
Can you still get ranger net on the first Pokemon Ranger game?

Is the Ranger Net on the first Pokemon Ranger game a wi-fi thing? Or can I still do it and get the Manaphy egg? I haven't beaten the game yet.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I will have to confirm, but I believe once the missions are downloaded you can still replay them without Wifi. However, the Ranger Net missions aren't loaded onto the game files and you would have needed to download them while they were still available. The Manaphy Egg mission stopped being available for download in 2009 (Almia) and 2011 (Guardian Signs).

If you're talking about the original Ranger, I did some reading and apparently they gave out a code (P8M2-9D6F-43H7) for its download, so maybe that will work? But only if you have Pokemon Ranger and not Shadows of Almia or Guardian Signs.

Neil Peart

Learn to swim
Years
Checking your Pokédex online

Is there any way to check your Pokedexes online? I'm doing a friend safari on X to transfer Pokes to Y, and I can't remember exactly what I need.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Is there any way to check your Pokedexes online? I'm doing a friend safari on X to transfer Pokes to Y, and I can't remember exactly what I need.

There's a variety of online PokéDexes, which you could use to gather info on certain Pokémon, if that's what you mean! My recommendation would be Pokémon Database; personally, I find it to be extremely descriptive. If you like, you're also free to use Serebii. If you're talking about your in-game PokéDex, then I don't think there's any way to check it, unfortunately, aside from looking into it yourself by turning your game on.

I know latter sounds like a bit of hassle, but if you're looking forward to completing your PokéDex, it should definitely be worth it.

Neil Peart

Learn to swim
Years
If you're talking about your in-game PokéDex, then I don't think there's any way to check it, unfortunately, aside from looking into it yourself by turning your game on.

I know latter sounds like a bit of hassle, but if you're looking forward to completing your PokéDex, it should definitely be worth it.

Yeah, that's what I was hoping for... ah well, thanks for the response.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 20, 2014
hey i have a question: Pokemon really worried about his territory. Live bands are underground labyrinths and a metallic armor to protect it (what pokemon is it?).

sorry if this question is not should be in this thread

Years
I will have to confirm, but I believe once the missions are downloaded you can still replay them without Wifi. However, the Ranger Net missions aren't loaded onto the game files and you would have needed to download them while they were still available. The Manaphy Egg mission stopped being available for download in 2009 (Almia) and 2011 (Guardian Signs).

If you're talking about the original Ranger, I did some reading and apparently they gave out a code (P8M2-9D6F-43H7) for its download, so maybe that will work? But only if you have Pokemon Ranger and not Shadows of Almia or Guardian Signs.

Yeah I am talking about he original Ranger game. That's pretty cool, I'll try it out when I get the game, would be really cool if you can still get the egg :D

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
hey i have a question: Pokemon really worried about his territory. Live bands are underground labyrinths and a metallic armor to protect it (what pokemon is it?).

Hmm... to me, it sort of sounds like Relicanth. What game are you playing, exactly? Maybe then, we could be more of a help, haha.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday

I wanna say it's Durant.

But, uh, this isn't really the place for games. You'll want to go to this section if you wanna start a Pokemon game like this:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=116

Years
Pokemon shininess, Personality value, Pseudorandom number generator

Basically, from what I've picked up from some websites, Pokemon shininess depends on: TrainerID, SecretID and Personality value of a Pokemon.

And if I got it right, Personality value depends on something called Pseudorandom number generator ( http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pseudorandom_number_generation_in_Pokémon )

And here is the part that confuses me.

"First, the generator must have a seed, a number to start with. This number is usually a date and time referring to the first time that the algorithm is called during the usage of the device or the software's active session. Seeds are also occasionally derived from user input, as it is highly improbable to do the exact same thing more than once, making it appear 'random'."

Does this mean that this "seed" starts when we turn on the console? Or when we turn on the game? Or when it was first turned up? or maybe it's based on the time we set up at the beginning of the game, or the time on the console?
I know it's really puzzling and I am not making it any easier, but in case someone's into this kind of stuff, pls do clarify it. :D

(PS., I already posted this in one of the Q&A thread, but I wanted to try this way too. MOD, feel free to erase the topic if no one replies. :D )

Years
  • Seen Jun 17, 2017
I know this might be an obvious question, but what happens if a Pokémon uses Switcheroo while holding Choice Specs? Do they immediately lose the 50% SAtk bonus and regain the ability to use all their moves? Thanks

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I know this might be an obvious question, but what happens if a Pokémon uses Switcheroo while holding Choice Specs? Do they immediately lose the 50% SAtk bonus and regain the ability to use all their moves? Thanks

If it's the same with Trick, then I'm pretty sure that all of this happens after the turn ends and the item has been given away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back