• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ruby hack: [Hack of the Year 2011] Pokémon Ruby Destiny - Life of Guardians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Aug 10, 2012
Help

Okay so I just downloaded the game and I patched the ips to the us Ruby gba rom but it still doesn't work. It stays on a blank black screen, did I do it wrong?

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Ah, gotcha. Just used Perish Song to take it out.

I just dislike playing like that. :/
You dislike using every legitimate move available to you in order to gain the advantage? I used Hypnosis and Dream Eater against a Lv.68 Purugly early this morning; this was with a Lv.48 Musharna (in Black obviously, not this hack). It's the same idea, you're thrown into battle and you need to have a battle strategy even when you're not ready to battle (or you can lose and shell out chump change). Heck, you could take in a Ghost type and use Curse, then stall while the Curse works down the opponent's HP. I'm sure there are even more strategies.

Cyclone

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
perish song is less of a strategy and more of a gimmick move since in reality your opponent wont be dumb enough to hang around too long and so the move is just to force switches. and there are very few pokemon that are both good and can learn it.

In contrast, stall moves like toxic and taunt are viable strategies competitively. hell DJG should just remove the perish song lapras, if not for nuzlockers. It would teach players how to use stall strategies., rather than just spamming your strongest moves.

Last edited:

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
Toxic was vital for me. I couldn't have beaten the final boss without it. I actually beat the final boss without save states recently, I honestly didn't think that was possible. Now if someone were to beat it without legendaries or cheap moves like Perish Song, I would love to see that.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
perish song is less of a strategy and more of a gimmick move since in reality your opponent wont be dumb enough to hang around too long and so the move is just to force switches. and there are very few pokemon that are both good and can learn it.

In contrast, stall moves like toxic and taunt are viable strategies competitively. hell DJG should just remove the perish song lapras, if not for nuzlockers. It would teach players how to use stall strategies., rather than just spamming your strongest moves.
It still causes strategy, particularly because the user must remember that Perish Song affects him as well. It's handy to force a switch on the opponent (of course you are already planning a swap during the countdown), and if he doesn't swap, you witness the collapse of a giant, hypothetically speaking.

I ran into Perish Song for the first time in Black yesterday, with the opponent Jynx using it immediately; I found myself knocked out before the Perish Song countdown took effect (hence I never got to swap), but when her countdown on the Jynx in question reached one, she immediately swapped it; in fact, the Jynx used it on my new entrant, so I immediately swapped at the same time before losing a turn. Eventually the Jynx was left by itself and Perish Song would have effectively caused the loss, so it had to lose the normal way.

It's a good way to impart some strategy into the battle. I have no issue with it being left in, but sparingly. One boss battle is definitely good as it introduces the move at least once in the game and also points out a Pokémon you can have learn the move if you ever capture it.

Cyclone

Years
  • Seen Aug 10, 2012
I got to the part where the High Grunt takes all my Pokemon, my Pokedex, and my Symbols and it showed me my Party and I selected my first Pokemon and then it froze right after that. Now it won't do anything else, how do I fix this? )':

Pecilia

Best Witch
Years
First post doesn't mention the major bug of Combee crashing the game. I heard it was worse before but it's still annoying, now I know bugs aren't just something that can be fixed quickly but at least remove Combee if it's causing that much trouble. It crashed my game after getting Riolu and I accidently hit Shift+F1 instead of F1 putting me in a loop. This is a problem that should be mentioned in the OP to warn people.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
It still causes strategy, particularly because the user must remember that Perish Song affects him as well. It's handy to force a switch on the opponent (of course you are already planning a swap during the countdown), and if he doesn't swap, you witness the collapse of a giant, hypothetically speaking.

I ran into Perish Song for the first time in Black yesterday, with the opponent Jynx using it immediately; I found myself knocked out before the Perish Song countdown took effect (hence I never got to swap), but when her countdown on the Jynx in question reached one, she immediately swapped it; in fact, the Jynx used it on my new entrant, so I immediately swapped at the same time before losing a turn. Eventually the Jynx was left by itself and Perish Song would have effectively caused the loss, so it had to lose the normal way.

It's a good way to impart some strategy into the battle. I have no issue with it being left in, but sparingly. One boss battle is definitely good as it introduces the move at least once in the game and also points out a Pokémon you can have learn the move if you ever capture it.

Cyclone

are you playing against AI? In that case strategy is invalid since AI is too dumb to take full advantage of anything anyway. AI knows how to switch away from perish song at the last second but nothing else.

If else your opponent is bad at utilising Perish song properly. Imagine if Jynx had used perish song and you decide to stay on. until the second turn, he switches into a Dugtrio with arena trap. You try to attack it but it just used Protect/subtitute instead. Then ha, you are going down.

Outside of using trap along with perish song, its just a phazing move. Hence its gimmickiness, as it require entire pokemon team dedicated to stall/trapping to pull off kills with perish song.

Its good against against the AI boss as it cant switch (its only that one boss anyway) but you can, enough said.

First post doesn't mention the major bug of Combee crashing the game. I heard it was worse before but it's still annoying, now I know bugs aren't just something that can be fixed quickly but at least remove Combee if it's causing that much trouble. It crashed my game after getting Riolu and I accidently hit Shift+F1 instead of F1 putting me in a loop. This is a problem that should be mentioned in the OP to warn people.

are you using a clean ruby rom to patch. This never happened if everything is done properly.

Last edited:

Pecilia

Best Witch
Years
are you using a clean ruby rom to patch. This never happened if everything is done properly.
Actually a friend told me about it on Skype and sent me the file through Skype, anything that went wrong would've been something they did. Could you explain how I can do this right? I really liked the story and thought it was interesting, didn't want to start over due to the fact that I knew it would just happen again but if it's going to be fixed for me I would totally play it. This time with a better starter pokemon.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
If else your opponent is bad at utilising Perish song properly. Imagine if Jynx had used perish song and you decide to stay on. until the second turn, he switches into a Dugtrio with arena trap. You try to attack it but it just used Protect/subtitute instead. Then ha, you are going down.
If you do that, Dugtrio will take a hit that was aimed at Jynx. And the possibility of Electric attack used against Jynx is pretty low...
With half-assed defense stats Dugtrio has, there's a high chance it will be killed off before setting up Substitute and stalling for Perish Song to activate.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023

If you do that, Dugtrio will take a hit that was aimed at Jynx. And the possibility of Electric attack used against Jynx is pretty low...
With half-assed defense stats Dugtrio has, there's a high chance it will be killed off before setting up Substitute and stalling for Perish Song to activate.

oh silly me. thought too much about perish song/baton pass celebi. you need baton passers to pull that off.

greenmoon just getanother ruby rom from somewhere and try again. cant divulge where to get it just use google. your old save might be corrupted so you might have to restart

Last edited:

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Facing a Jynx? Use "Mean Look" as it uses "Perish Song", then swap out. Victory.

Cyclone

Pecilia

Best Witch
Years
greenmoon just getanother ruby rom from somewhere and try again. cant divulge where to get it just use google. your old save might be corrupted so you might have to restart
I was using save states since they take little time. I'm going to work on this on though.

Pecilia

Best Witch
Years
Okay, so I got a fresh Ruby, added the patch, and confirmed that Combee is no longer crashing the game. This is good. Now I tease my friend about how I can get Combee. >: ) Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back