• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

What is hell?

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
What is hell?
Is it the stereotypical fiery landscape, or is it personalized, like in the book, No Exit; In the sense that hell is a realm, in which a torture exist uniquely for that person. Is there even a hell, or is that an ideal, to scare people in to believing in cretin doctrines, and when life ends, there is no hell. Can there be hell on earth? If hell does exist, why does it, and why do humans end up there?

What do you think? :3

droomph

weeb
Years
As heaven is the presence of God, hell is the absence of God.

Just as heaven doesn't necessarily reside on clouds, hell is not necessarily full of fire.

However, there is a pool of burning fire (or was it sulfur?) in hell, that's for sure - the Bible says so.

But honestly I think being eternally locked out of heaven would be the worst punishment.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
Years
There's lots of different perceptions of hell. My perception of hell doesn't really go further than what I see in cartoons, because I don't believe that the fiery, lava filled hell that is explained in religious teachings exists at all, be it in the real world or in the afterlife.

I suppose the closest thing to describe as hell would be the effect of a great crisis or extreme poverty in certain countries.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Hell is a concept created by religions to describe the "wrong" end of life (eternal punishments and all).

But I do agree that living in the large amount of freedom-less, war-filled, hunger-struck countries sounds a lot worse for someone who doesn't believe in any religions such as me.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
I would be disappointed if I went to hell and there was no lava.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Um okay well, I'm afraid of almost everything lmao well, I question things a lot, I think about afterlife a lot and so on, but there's never any Hell in my mind. Like I'm afraid it might exist but I think it's more that I'm so sure it doesn't that it doesn't ever enter my mind. Why would God want us to suffer - effectively a nicer thing would be to remove all the bad and only remember the good/only the good sides of you are in Heaven, a much nicer thought than sending someone to Hell. That was just something I thought of, though, so I don't believe it yet or whether it's logical or not. XD;

Renpuu

Gengar !
Years
If you're speaking in terms of religion, Hell for me would be no afterlife. I've had alot of friends and family pass away and it would pain me to find out there is nothing left after death and that I can't see them anymore.

There is already a hell, it's called living in the third world.

Years
"Hell is other people."

But my real answer is basically what Went said. I don't believe in any religious/afterlife version of hell.

I do rather like the idea I've read here and there that says that we are in hell right now - the whole "separate from god" idea. Were I religious and believed in hell I think this is how I would form my ideas around it. A pit of fire seems silly.

Years
Hell is whatever you want it to be, there is no way we can actually find out what it is until we get there other than following whatever your religion's scripture says
also this is interesting and semi relevant

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
I really hope that there isn't a hell. I hope God offers those who go to hell redemption. It just sounds far too horrid, even for horrendous people.

I am a Christian so I believe on heaven and hell.

outfox

in
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2013
The concept of "Hell" was taught to me as a spatial destination where various kinds of torture, via material instruments such as fire, takes place. That seems to be the mental image that pops up in most people's minds, where I live anyway. Personally, I find that description difficult to accept. I've been exploring Zen Buddhism and Eastern Orthodox Catholicism, and although I adhere to neither, I believe in the mutual teachings that we are inseparable from oneness. It is taught in the East that hell is the experience of God's presence depending on your spiritual state. A friend of mine who's versed with the subject explained it like, those who have rejected love will be eternally pervaded with the potent love of God, and to them it will excruciatingly burn. An interesting perspective and one I can perceive logically, given my personal beliefs about the soul/body/mind. Anyway, I suppose until 'the end' Hell is nothing but a concept to man.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2019
Hell is where Plato, Aristotle, Buddha, Voltaire, Lagrange, Edison, Hilbert, Einstein, Bohr, Schrodinger, Dirac, Plank, Curie, Feynman, Russel, and Sagan are.

Heaven is starting to sound like the place where I'd hate to be.

Years
  • Seen Jul 12, 2014
Hell, was an idea thought up by men who wanted a way to control the population by using scare tactics. It is a place where good or bad people can go because they only way to avoid it is to truly accept Jesus Christ as your savior. But, with all due respect to any religious people out there, your god sounds VERY insecure.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
I think it was something made up to scare people into behaving a certain way for whatever reason the people that invented it wanted, back when people didn't know any better. I don't believe in hell at all.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
My belief for afterlife and all that are really complex to explain, but put simply, I've convinced myself that this is hell.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
I do not believe in heaven, nor hell.

I believe you fall asleep in the last 7 minutes of your life, and that dream you relive your live, but time in dreams can be longer than reality, so you live your life again, start afresh.

Which makes me think?
Have I died yet?

Back