• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

March Maaaadness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gideon Jeremiah

The giving Pokèmon breeder
Years
These posts. Just...wow.
Somehow a forum of teenagers/adults that play a childrens video game have ended up in a deep religious discussion. :x

I don't really have anything to add to said discussion, though, our of wariness to potentially start a fight. o;

I'm sorry, I've been fanning this.
I love a friendly discussion & the people here seem very open to debate without negativity.
If you'd like me to stop, I will.

Sir Codin

I never got the impression there was ever any negativity in this discussion.

It seemed perfectly civil to me.

By the way, my goals in life?

- Getting out of college with a degree
- Getting a good biology job (hopefully in marine bio, thought I don't suppose I'd mind others)
- Visiting a few more foreign countries before I keel over and turn into maggot food.
- Lose my virginity before I keel over and turn into maggot food
- Get my own house before I keel over and turn into maggot food
- Turn at least 85 before keeling over and turning into maggot food
- Keep being awesome.

Gideon Jeremiah

Years
I never got the impression there was ever any negativity in this discussion.

It seemed perfectly civil to me.

By the way, my goals in life?

- Getting out of college with a degree
- Getting a good biology job (hopefully in marine bio, thought I don't suppose I'd mind others)
- Visiting a few more foreign countries before I keel over and turn into maggot food.

My auto-correct removed the "out", that was a typo ^///^

Biology sounds incredibly interesting!
Why are you interested in Marine Biology?

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
I'm sorry, I've been fanning this.
I love a friendly discussion & the people here seem very open to debate without negativity.
If you'd like me to stop, I will.
Wait, what?
I meant that I was wary of saying the wrong thing and causing a fight. Not because of what other people are saying. (:

I also just don't have much to throw into the discussion, either. Which is why I'm just kind of watching.

Sir Codin

Sharks fascinated me when I was in middle school. I decided to study marine biology in college, but since that was pretty narrow for the job market, I've broadened myself to general biology.

Gideon Jeremiah

Years
Wait, what?
I meant that I was wary of saying the wrong thing and causing a fight. Not because of what other people are saying. (:

I also just don't have much to throw into the discussion, either. Which is why I'm just kind of watching.

Well alright than :) .

Sharks fascinated me when I was in middle school. I decided to study marine biology in college, but since that was pretty narrow for the job market, I've broadened myself to general biology.

What particular aspects of biology fascinate you?
Is it the advancing idea of red-blood cells with self-contained Mitochondria? :D

outfox

in
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2013
I remember the first time I read it actually.
My grandpapa had a deal with me; if I read it through entirely in Sanskrit (Hindu along with German are my native tongues), & translated it into English "somewhat accurately", he would take me to visit our relatives every other weekend in Toronto.
It was absolutely worth it; I love the entire book.

Specifically Ch. 4 - verse 33;
The sacrifice of knowledge, O Parantapa, is greater than any material sacrifice. Knowledge is that in which all this action culminates (not any lower knowledge, but the highest self-knowledge & God-knowledge), O Partha!

Why thank you :D !
Mathematics are rather fantastic, but... I believe a career as a Linguist would be superior.
It's as comparing Noam Chomsky & Leslie Groves.

:o How exciting. Did you meet your end of the deal?
Me too, man. I read it more than I read my Bible >__> shh don't tell God.

I love the Gita philosophy on actions. Ooh, ooh, have you ever read The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran?

I'm sure you'd be successful in both fields. :) We can all do anything we want! I just didn't want to comprehend the Reimann Hypothesis. That's what I tell myself.

I hate to miss all these other posts but replying in edits never seems to work out.

Sir Codin

What particular aspects of biology fascinate you?
Is it the advancing idea of red-blood cells with self-contained Mitochondria? :D
No, but that does sound interesting. I want to talk with my cellular biology professor about that now. XD

Aside from marine biology, evolution has fascinated me. Once applied, it amazed me how much natural selection explained how species can have their allele frequencies change either through natural or artificial means based on their environment or through beneficial mutation. I have Charles Darwin's Origin of the Species, but I've yet to finish reading the entire thing. I need to get on that, but I'm reading Lord of the Rings at the moment. XD

Also, once I was able to get the basics of a Punnett square for a 2+ trait cross, Mendelian genetics became interesting as well.

Gideon Jeremiah

Years
:o How exciting. Did you meet your end of the deal?
Me too, man. I read it more than I read my Bible >__> shh don't tell God.

I love the Gita philosophy on actions. Ooh, ooh, have you ever read The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran?

I'm sure you'd be successful in both fields. :) We can all do anything we want! I just didn't want to comprehend the Reimann Hypothesis. That's what I tell myself.

I hate to miss all these other posts but replying in edits never seems to work out.

Why yes I did, Grandpapa Kashe & I visited relatives eventually every-weekend, for the 2 years he lived here :D .

Oh it wouldn't be a problem; why Buddhism itself is fully compatible with Christianity.
Hinduism is just as compatible, it's simply a naming issue, haha.

Oh I love the Prophet;

"And a woman spoke, saying, "Tell us of Pain."
And he said: Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding.
Even as the stone of the fruit must break, that its heart may stand in the sun, so must you know pain.
And could you keep your heart in wonder at the daily miracles of your life, your pain would not seem less wondrous than your joy;
And you would accept the seasons of your heart, even as you have always accepted the seasons that pass over your fields.
And you would watch with serenity through the winters of your grief.
Much of your pain is self-chosen.
It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self.
Therefore trust the physician, and drink his remedy in silence and tranquillity:
For his hand, though heavy and hard, is guided by the tender hand of the Unseen,
And the cup he brings, though it burn your lips, has been fashioned of the clay which the
Potter has moistened with His own sacred tears."

'Tis the beauty of the modern world, so many avenues are open.
You simply must possess the aptitude &/or desire :D .

No, but that does sound interesting. I want to talk with my cellular biology professor about that now. XD

Aside from marine biology, evolution has fascinated me. Once applied, it amazed me how much natural selection explained how species can have their allele frequencies change either through natural or artificial means based on their environment or through beneficial mutation. I have Charles Darwin's Origin of the Species, but I've yet to finish reading the entire thing. I need to get on that, but I'm reading Lord of the Rings at the moment. XD

Also, once I was able to get the basics of a Punnett square for a 2+ trait cross, Mendelian genetics became interesting as well.

It is the idea that with genetic tampering, red-blood cells can contain their own Mitochondria.
If so, it would be literal regenerative properties within biological organisms!

... Lord of the Rings takes precedence.
Don't let anyone tell you different :laugh: !

Ahhhh~
Mendelian Genetics!
We could talk for years about that! :D

Last edited:

outfox

in
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2013
UGH my post deleted itself entirely. Grumble grumble.

That's so cool, Gideon! I wish I had Hindu relatives. Born and raised by and around Southern Baptists. May I ask what your real name is, Gideon? Too late, I already did. You don't have to answer, though. I'm just being nosy.

God moves in passion, God rests in reason. One of my favorite lines. I can't decide which prophecy I prefer over the others. Pain is a great one. Religion, too. "And the old priest said: 'Speak to us of Religion.' And he said: 'Have I spoken this day of aught else?'"

Gideon Jeremiah

Years
UGH my post deleted itself entirely. Grumble grumble.

That's so cool, Gideon! I wish I had Hindu relatives. Born and raised by and around Southern Baptists. May I ask what your real name is, Gideon? Too late, I already did. You don't have to answer, though. I'm just being nosy.

God moves in passion, God rests in reason. One of my favorite lines. I can't decide which prophecy I prefer over the others. Pain is a great one. Religion, too. "And the old priest said: 'Speak to us of Religion.' And he said: 'Have I spoken this day of aught else?'"

Gideon Emmanuel Jeremiah ^_^.
Be as nosy as you like, I have a pretty plain life; nothing to hide.

I have a bit of an "odd", philosophy on life.
I imagine you'd call me crazy for sharing it xD

outfox

in
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2013
Oh, nice! Such a good name I thought you'd invented it :D

Please, do share :o

Sir Codin

My username is an amalgamation of the Norse God ODIN and the genus for the Great White Shark.

Fits my avi to a tee.

Sir Codin

I found vikings cool to some degree, but I never studied Norse mythology that much. Though I did read some snippets of the Prose Edda and found it interesting. Unfortunately, I procrastinate on a lot of things, especially reading and I had to return it to the library.

Gideon Jeremiah

Years
I found vikings cool to some degree, but I never studied Norse mythology that much. Though I did read some snippets of the Prose Edda and found it interesting. Unfortunately, I procrastinate on a lot of things, especially reading and I had to return it to the library.

Hmm... what are you reading (or planning to), aside from LoTR right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back