• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PC WiFi Tournament

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
Jeez, I spent more times reading the posts from the past twenty-four hours then I did when coming back from a week of being in no-computer-land. XD

Anyways, while I agree with points from both sides of the issue, I'm going to have to grant xXscytherXx the win. As was mentioned, it was a rule stated in the first post, and I don't like changing things up part-way through.

Most of you should remember what happened a few months back, when I decided to change the rule allowing non-Uber legends into play. This was changed back to the way it is now because the majority of you wanted it as such. Now it seems as though this has changed yet again, >_>.

However, after seeing how some things have worked out, I will be editing the rules after this tournament is over. As I said before, they will not be changed part-way through it, as this will cause confusion.

And in closing, I apologize to Bluekikatana for having to leave under these circumstances, and I hope to see you participating in the next tournament.

Law07 said:
So are these battles allowed to go ahead yeah? Whats the deadline?
That'll be the 21st of this month. And yes.

Last edited:

Ichida

The Zealous Blue Partizan
Years
Most of you should remember what happened a few months back, when I decided to change the rule allowing non-Uber legends into play. This was changed back to the way it is now because the majority of you wanted it as such. Now it seems as though this has changed yet again, >_>.

However, after seeing how some things have worked out, I will be editing the rules after this tournament is over. As I said before, they will not be changed part-way through it, as this will cause confusion.

If you're allowing legends in the next tourney, then I won't bother entering.

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
Years
I'll probably enter just for the challenge, there's nothing more satisfying than beating a noob with a team of legends.

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
Years
Yeah please don't...regardless of the arguments, there's just no reason. It doesn't matter if you like particular legendaries and want to use them here, or if you think it's "unfair" to ban them, it's just better and more fun if you actually make the effort to train a non-legend team. We can always vote on it. If it comes down to it, Alakazam, you could even just split it so there's two 32 person tourneys: one non-legend, one with. You'd get the same signups as this one, maybe more.

Years
  • Seen Mar 25, 2008
That Ichida guy I'm about to slander and apologize to in advance to avoid a ban-shaped hammer said:
If you're allowing legends in the next tourney, then I won't bother entering.

That's because you're a twit and don't realize that all legendaries are not ubers.

Unless you're talking about pokemon like those god damn Phiones.

Always and Never

Nick // Always and Never
Years
Who cares? Who likes iPhones Phiones anyways? Pokecommunity is famous for NOT using them, can't we keep it that way instead of giving into like three people whining?

It's what makes us different than disgusting smogon, and every other battle site. So, no legends, please.

Years
  • Seen Mar 25, 2008
Since when is Smogon 'disgusting', and pkmncommunity so exalted?

I'm pretty sure Smogon's main focus is competitive battling while pkmncommunity's is anime. Unless pokemon like Phione completely steal the show, explaining your inexplicable angst towards entertaining the concept of allowing a pokemon with one of the worst movepools ever and base stats totalling 480 into a battle. (Quick comparison: Tyranitar, Metagross, Salamence, and Garchomp, all allowed, have stats totaling 600, most starters have 530, the Eevees have 525, and even Porygon2 caps at 515).

That's not to say stats are everything, but given its awful learnset, you should be more inclined to ban something like Tyranitar. You know all these standards like Blissey everyone has on their team? How is it any worse that everyone would have, say, Jirachi too? A great wishpasser, a pain to hit with Uturn, but setup fodder in every meaning of the word and a sitting duck late game. No mind, its sterling counter Gyarados should still be allowed on the merits of being catchable in game. The dude can tear through entire teams and menace with name alone, but the one that needs its teammates to survive and is crippled if left by itself is broken.

Let me rephrase: legendaries are not overpowered by default. By which I mean, how many of you would ever risk bringing out Calmcune anymore with stuff like PZ and Heracross that can go manic on it before forcing it to rest and become helpless?

Whereas this gen, Slowbro does the same thing better with Slack Off. If he purified north winds though, nobody would use him. Shame.

Also, you shouldn't assume that just because someone isn't saying anything they approve of your argument by default. Why, all of a sudden, is it just 3 users who want legends to be included? Do you know everyone else's stance on this issue since the vote you took eons ago? I glanced back after the discussion, by the way, and it seemed like you were mostly goading everyone else to agreeing with you, with the temptation of candy and social acceptance. Basically it was a small group of people (as a quick recollection of the argument I read weeks ago I'd put the number at 3, Ichida, Scyther, Ichaste) and one or two tag-a-longs (who were probably no-shows anyway) going along with what you said.

That's excluding a few late entrants who had no say whatsoever in the rules, not wanting to sift through a few hundred posts in the off chance anything immediately relevant to the tournament was said.

If you had any logic, you could make a logic sandwhich but unfortunately, your picnic will be one logic sandwhich short of...a picnic.

Right here, right now, I say we poll to see if legends should be allowed. Note that legends do not include 'ubers'.

If Alakazam would do the honors of attaching a poll to his original post...

Last edited:

Always and Never

Nick // Always and Never
Years

I'm pretty sure Smogon's main focus is competitive battling while pkmncommunity's is anime. Unless pokemon like Phione completely steal the show, explaining your inexplicable angst towards entertaining the concept of allowing a pokemon with one of the worst movepools ever and base stats totalling 480 into a battle. (Quick comparison: Tyranitar, Metagross, Salamence, and Garchomp, all allowed, have stats totaling 600, most starters have 530, the Eevees have 525, and even Porygon2 caps at 515).

That's not to say stats are everything, but given its awful learnset, you should be more inclined to ban something like Tyranitar.

Also, you shouldn't assume that just because someone isn't saying anything they approve of your argument by default. Why, all of a sudden, is it just 3 users who want legends to be included? Do you know everyone else's stance on this issue since the vote you took eons ago? I glanced back after the discussion, by the way, and it seemed like you were mostly goading everyone else to agreeing with you, with the temptation of candy and social acceptance. Basically it was a small group of people (as a quick recollection of the argument I read weeks ago I'd put the number at 3, Ichida, Scyther, Ichaste) and one or two tag-a-longs (who were probably no-shows anyway) going along with what you said.

That's excluding a few late entrants who had no say whatsoever in the rules, not wanting to sift through a few hundred posts for any relevant point

If you had any logic, you could make a logic sandwhich but unfortunately, your picnic will be one logic sandwhich short of...a picnic.

Right here, right

That's not to say stats are everything, but given its awful learnset, you should be more inclined to ban something like Tyranitar. You know all these standards like Blissey everyone has on their team? How is it any worse that everyone would have, say, Jirachi too? A great wishpasser, a pain to hit with Uturn, but setup fodder in every meaning of the word and a sitting duck late game. No mind, its sterling counter Gyarados should still be allowed on the merits of being catchable in game. The dude can tear through entire teams and menace with name alone, but the one that needs its teammates to survive and is crippled if left by itself is broken.

Let me rephrase: legendaries are not overpowered by default. By which I mean, how many of you would ever risk bringing out Calmcune anymore with stuff like PZ and Heracross that can go manic on it before forcing it to rest and become helpless?

Whereas this gen, Slowbro does the same thing better with Slack Off. If he purified north winds though, nobody would use him. Shame.

That's excluding a few late entrants who had no say whatsoever in the rules, not wanting to sift through a few hundred posts in the off chance anything immediately relevant to the tournament was said.

Right here, right now, I say we poll to see if legends should be allowed. Note that legends do not include 'ubers'.

If Alakazam would do the honors of attaching a poll to his original post...

...ok. It's kind of odd how someone can talk so "intelligent" and be so completely misunderstandable O.o

There is a group of people, and it is called "pokecommunity." You don't make the laws of the land, so posting back to this has absolutely no point. Plus, why would you want change such a big part of the site just because you want it that way? Go to Smogon if you want legendaries, come here if you want to be unique :p

Ichida

Years
genus said:
That's because you're a twit and don't realize that all legendaries are not ubers.

Unless you're talking about pokemon like those god damn Phiones.

I realize that. I just don't care.

genus said:
That's not to say stats are everything, but given its awful learnset, you should be more inclined to ban something like Tyranitar.

Who has become no longer worth using since D/P came out.

genus said:
You know all these standards like Blissey everyone has on their team?

*shakes fist angrily at Blissey, but remembers whittling his last opponent down to nothing but Blissey, then OHKOing them while cackling evilly*

genus said:

I don't care who agrees or disagrees with me. I was simply stating that if legendaries of any rank are allowed, I'm not going to play. It's the principle. I know I can beat them, I have beaten teams of hacked legendaries before *shakes fist at no-Slowstart Sacred Fire-using Regigigas* so there's no question in my mind I can win. Again, it's simply how I decide to play.

genus said:

You all know my vote. Doi.

xXscytherXx said:
...ok. It's kind of odd how someone can talk so "intelligent" and be so completely misunderstandable O.o

*Scyther levels up!*

To save loading time, I'll just post this once here:

ichidad.png

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
Years
i'm no mod, but you guys should really stop ._. you're ruining the thread.

alakazam, the next time you modify the rules on your thread, you should probably consider adding rules FOR your thread. this endless wave of argumentation is getting a little out of hand, and is spoiling the friendly-competitive aura that was once emphasized.

Ichida

Years
I was simply answering a challenge to my opinion and beliefs. Do what you will, mods.

Yoshistar64

Kanrinin-saaannnnnn!!!
Years
Ooookay. The last 2 or 3 pages was "All argument, no competition." We don't need that. What started this is the fact that Scyther's rival took out Cresselia. What ended this is Alakazam's post about him/her being disqualified. End of story. This isn't necessary right now.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
Samson said:
i'm no mod, but you guys should really stop ._. you're ruining the thread.
Niether am I, but I'll second you at that.

genus said:
That is exactly what I have in mind, if you must know. But not now, when the current tournament is complete. We can fight about the rules after that.

Ichida said:
I know I can beat them, I have beaten teams of hacked legendaries before *shakes fist at no-Slowstart Sacred Fire-using Regigigas* so there's no question in my mind I can win. Again, it's simply how I decide to play.
I completely agree with you, actually. I prefer to ban all legendaries outright, even the non-Uber ones. Though I won't go as far as to say I refuse to battle anyone with them, heh.

And, in closing, let us get back to the tournament. What's done is done. What should have been a friendly competiton is turning into something short of a flame war. As I said, nothing will be changed until we have a winner.

Zam out.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 16, 2020
Okay, this discussion stops now. Anybody who starts yet another argument on top of this will get a warning.

And Yoshistar64, nobody told you to mini-mod. Your post is spam and is definitely unneeded.

Years
  • Seen Mar 25, 2008
Fair enough, after one last caviat. Probably not the best place to analyze this, but it's ok because I have more to my post!

Really!

In DP, Tyranitar only got better with physical dark moves, stone edge, and taunt getting extended by a turn. Its main counters (Skarmory, Hippowdon, potentially Rhyperior) are easily dealt with through the use of a mixed sweeper set, unless you'd rather plow through them in 2-3 turns of choice banded attacks. Only respond by nesting your opinion in a post containing other substance! And truce, though I refuse to contend I have been Ichida'd.

You should all start completing your matches, as I look forward to the next round starting before the deadline. For the next tournament, the 2 week delay would do well to get cut down a bit. I don't remember any matches getting finished right before the 2 week delay, and a round 1.5 after the initial period of, say, a week would provide more than ample time for anyone interested in competing.

I also suggest that you all be a tad more active in chat, so some more matches get in...it's much more timely to ask if so-and-so is around then it is to stake out their profile to see when they were last active.

On that note, anyone in the finals should write a summary of the battle, and I should learn how to close a post.

Edit: I don't think this warrants a second post, but I figured I'd respond anyways since someone is clearly flaming me for fun. Not going to bother dignifying the personal attacks.

Crunch from choice band Tyranitar does less than 40% damage to Hippowdon, who can then ohko with Earthquake, or instead opt to Slack Off the damage. Rhyperior can also switch in for less than 50% damage on Crunch, and then ko with earthquake. Skarmory too is able to come in, and barring a critical, Stone Edge is a 2hko (assuming you accurately predict the switch, and it doesn't miss). From there, Skarm can do a few things, mainly Spiking or Roosting. So basically, you've got 3 pokemon Tyranitar does nothing to. That does usually qualify something as a counter. In other words, no, I did not come up with 3 pokemon out of nowhere. Gliscor deserves mentioning too, though in this case it's inferior to Hippo in spite of its higher speed, which really isn't as important for a wall as you're making it sound.

If you are running the mixed sweeper set I mentioned above, then yes, Tyranitar's main counters are in for a beating. However, most players opt for the choice bander. So what's your point in saying that Tyranitar's main counters are countered themselves by a certain set, which I allready mentioned? Tyranitar is unpredictable, which makes it even scarier to come across.

4x weakness to fighting is rather lame, but Tyranitar can safely switch in after one of your pokemon is down and beat up on whatever wants to try to wreck it with a switch. 605 attack is obscenely high, so anyone risking the switch to a no-defense nelly sweeper type with focus blast as their only move will take a heavy hit, unless of course you opt instead for Pursuit that turn or get outpredicted. Used as a revenge killer, Tyranitar can do scary things with Focus Punch or Pursuit.

Typing alone is not everything. Garchomp, Salamence, and Dragonite all have a 4x weakness to ice, though they're still usable. Basically, the presence of a counter is not sufficient to render a pokemon useless. If anyone brings in something that totes a fighting move, switch to something that walls the set that pokemon usually packs, or a ghost type. All responses should be composed in an existing post via editing.

Anyways, drop the assault on reason, and stop disagreeing just to disagree. At least I made it so you all have an "unskilled" archenemy to root against.

I really do need to learn how to finish posts.

Last edited:

Always and Never

Nick // Always and Never
Years
Fair enough, after one last caviat. Probably not the best place to analyze this, but it's ok because I have more to my post!

Really!

In DP, Tyranitar only got better with physical dark moves, stone edge, and taunt getting extended by a turn. Its main counters (Skarmory, Hippowdon, potentially Rhyperior) are easily dealt with through the use of a mixed sweeper set, unless you'd rather plow through them in 2-3 turns of choice banded attacks. Only respond by nesting your opinion in a post containing other substance! And truce, though I refuse to contend I have been Ichida'd.

You should all start completing your matches, as I look forward to the next round starting before the deadline. For the next tournament, the 2 week delay would do well to get cut down a bit. I don't remember any matches getting finished right before the 2 week delay, and a round 1.5 after the initial period of, say, a week would provide more than ample time for anyone interested in competing.

I also suggest that you all be a tad more active in chat, so some more matches get in...it's much more timely to ask if so-and-so is around then it is to stake out their profile to see when they were last active.

On that note, anyone in the finals should write a summary of the battle, and I should learn how to close a post.
You really shouldn't criticize how Alakazam does these things. Leave him alone, it's not his fault people come and people go.

Did anyone else finish their matches today?

Faceless*

YES!
Years
  • Age 34
  • ?
  • Seen Jan 17, 2013
genus said:

Tyranitar has been reduced so much because of the new toy Special Sweepers got for a present O_o (Focus Blast)
and as well as the new ultimate fighting move Close Combat. These moves are very likely to OHKO Tyraniter at times even without STAB. These sweepers WILL outrun Tyranitar without breaking a sweat. And how EXACTLY is Rhyperior or even Hippowdon a damn counter to Tyranitar? Dark Pulse completely obliterates them while Tyranitar outspeeds them. You have just stated an answer to your own question which is NOT needed in your post, only to make you look intellegent. (refusing that your nothing more than an annoying dictionary-addict)

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2009
Paranoia and I should have our battle done in the evening today or Thursday...at least, that's when I said I was available. The fact that we're FIFTEEN hours apart probably doesn't help matters >.>;...

...Yes, he was online, and I sent him a PM requesting to battle...but then he logged off.

I'm pretty sure Smogon's main focus is competitive battling [S-HIGHLIGHT]while pkmncommunity's is anime.[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

>_> I stopped reading there.

Last edited:
Back