• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Anybody know where I can find .iee Pokemon Icons to use for IconEd? That's the only type of file you can import...

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
The most obvious reason for this is that the pointers that should point to two separate names, point to a single one instead.

As an example;

Code:
Original FireRed [I](false values!)[/I]
[I]----------------------------[/I]
10 A7 4B 08 ---> Pallet Town
31 A7 4B 08 ---> Viridian Forest

Code:
In your hacked rom (again, false values too of course)
---------------------------
2A B4 8C 08 --> Cobalt Town
2A B4 8C 08 --> Cobalt Town (but should be Cobalt Forest)

The solution to fixing the problem is as simple as getting a hex editor, a table file and searching for the pointer to the text string "Cobalt Town". There are two of them since both Cobalt Town and Cobalt Forest share the same pointer. Change either one of them to point to blank space and write either "Cobalt Town" or "Cobalt Forest" there. You're done.

There is a tutorial about text editing (by hacking Pokemon FireRed) with a hex editor in romhacking(dot)net.

Thanks for the help, I did what you said but the problem is that there are more than two "Cobalt Town" in the hex editor. Wouldn't things like the world map have it as well?

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Thanks for the help, I did what you said but the problem is that there are more than two "Cobalt Town" in the hex editor. Wouldn't things like the world map have it as well?
There was supposed to be only one "Cobalt Town" unless you have mentioned it elsewhere in the game as well. For example in the intro "Welcome to Cobalt Town!" or making people talk about it etc. Though for example worldmap could have its own name but it wouldn't make any sense if it did (due to a thing called disassembly which I shouldn't try to explain here).

But sometimes, it's better to just play around and start doing crazy changes. (Of course, making backup files before this!)
As an example, you could try to change half of the "Cobalt Town"s first, then check if that affects the town map names. If it doesn't, the town map name is in the other half. And keep using this kind of a method until you find it. There are better ways! But they often require knowing how to read program's code - assembly.

By the way, where in the rom are these text strings located exactly? If they're in the end of it (after 0x7A... or wherever the FF FF FF FF... data starts in original FireRed), they are written by you, and most likely, as text data loaded through some script. If even one them is somewhere before the FF FF data, they're edited from the original data without repointing. These that are located before this FF FF... data, probably belong to things such as world map, or town map names.

Though I have to admit that it's almost impossible for me to help out from here. If you can give more information, like offsets where "Cobalt Town" is mentioned, that would already help out a lot.

And by the way, make a table file which you can use alongside hex editor if you didn't yet.
You can make a table file by copy pasting the table file data (which was in the url I linked to djg in my previous post here) to a text document (.txt), saving it and finally, changing the file extension from .txt to .tbl.

Last edited:

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
In Emerald, I know that tag team battles are possible like with Steven against team plasma with specials. Is this possible in ruby?

Years
  • Seen Feb 16, 2019
Hi, I'm relatively new to hacking. I'm looking for some advice/help on the topic of changing an items use in fire red. I'm looking to have an item that can be used in battle to deal damage. (I should mention I'm not exactly making a "true pokemon" hack. So I can spare the loss of certain existing items and attacks.) So right now my plan is to edit an attack to designate for the purpose of said item. Then edit the script of an item like "X Attack" to use the designated attack, instead of giving a buff. My problem is, I'm not exactly sure where or how to find the offset or pointers for attack & item scripts. I've found a few item editing tutorials, but I've not found one that sheds light on my issue. So if anyone could direct me to a tutorial or provide some advice, I would be very grateful. Thanks!

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Hi, I'm relatively new to hacking. I'm looking for some advice/help on the topic of changing an items use in fire red. I'm looking to have an item that can be used in battle to deal damage. (I should mention I'm not exactly making a "true pokemon" hack. So I can spare the loss of certain existing items and attacks.) So right now my plan is to edit an attack to designate for the purpose of said item. Then edit the script of an item like "X Attack" to use the designated attack, instead of giving a buff. My problem is, I'm not exactly sure where or how to find the offset or pointers for attack & item scripts. I've found a few item editing tutorials, but I've not found one that sheds light on my issue. So if anyone could direct me to a tutorial or provide some advice, I would be very grateful. Thanks!

You have no idea what you are getting into. In a game right now, can you deal damage with an item? No. That means that there is no coding in the game to allow this, so, you need to code your own. Items have two effects: in-battle and out-of-battle. You need to find a way to write a new in battle effect that subtracts HP from the opponents pokemon.

I have never looked at in-battle effects of items, but out-of-battle ones are coded in mostly pure ASM. I would assume it would be the same for in-battle, though those might use battle scripting.

Years
Is it safe to edit the already compiled scripts, and then re-compiled it? I have compiled a script, and i realized there's a small mistakes, if i open it in xse, edit it, and then compiled it again, will it messed up my rom?

daniilS

busy trying to do stuff not done yet
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 29, 2024
Is there a cheat engine-like program that scans the gba ram of an emulator for a certain byte, and then scans the found bytes again for something else, so you can locate stuff? Or is there maybe a way to convert the offsets from cheat engine when used on vba-m to gba ram offsets?

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
Years
  • Age 39
  • NC
  • Seen Nov 20, 2023
Anyone got any gameshark codes that will allow me to have my player's name have up to 9 characters in the name? Cause my name is Stephanie and I want to use my name in the game but can never fit it in the spaces available.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Anyone got any gameshark codes that will allow me to have my player's name have up to 9 characters in the name? Cause my name is Stephanie and I want to use my name in the game but can never fit it in the spaces available.
Gameshark codes don't work that way - they can't be used to hack the game to function in a way that it's not made to do. There is a huge difference with a code that can be used to change the encountered wild pokemon for instance.
There is a memory slot in ram where the encountered pokemon is stored, so you can use a gameshark code to modify the values there. However, for example naming the main character is a whole asm routine that would have to be hacked to allow more characters for the main player. This can't be achieved by editing ram data with gameshark codes, but rather by hacking the game itself (hex editors, asm editors, such).

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
[EMERALD] How do you change the town map to add a second region and display that region's map when in it? (like in ShinyGold/LiquidCrystal or some equivalent) Not quite a simple question, but I didn't know where to ask :\ I know this might be is probably way out of my league, but I figure if anyone knows how, they would be here.

I've googled and searched extensively, but cannot find anything on the subject so I made a PC account to ask ;)

You need ASM knowledge, and if you noticed, those hacks are FR hacks (Better since the engines and all that)

karatekid552

Years
Is there a cheat engine-like program that scans the gba ram of an emulator for a certain byte, and then scans the found bytes again for something else, so you can locate stuff? Or is there maybe a way to convert the offsets from cheat engine when used on vba-m to gba ram offsets?

There is a cheat engine built right into VBA that gives out RAM offsets....

Have fun recodeing the storage of the game. It can be done, but the game only allocates 8 bytes to naming the player (I have seen the storage area myself personally and changed it manually), so it won't be easy. You would also have to go in and edit the all of the name input screens.

This stuff is required to be hard coded to the rom, if it is done. There is no way possible that gameshark could do it alone... (Well, maybe, but the code would be absolutely massive and not worth it.)

Is it safe to edit the already compiled scripts, and then re-compiled it? I have compiled a script, and i realized there's a small mistakes, if i open it in xse, edit it, and then compiled it again, will it messed up my rom?

As long as the script is shorter or the same size (in bytes, not lines) than the original. Hit F1 in XSE to bring up the command database, which tells you how many bytes each command needs.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 20, 2018
Hey I am making a hack and was wondering if there is a way to change it so you dont need to use a pokemons move SURF or CUT to go on water or cut down those trees, i want the player to get items to do these things, is that possible if so what would i need to do?

Years
Hey I am making a hack and was wondering if there is a way to change it so you dont need to use a pokemons move SURF or CUT to go on water or cut down those trees, i want the player to get items to do these things, is that possible if so what would i need to do?

Well, the easiest thing is you can go into AdvanceMap, into the Movement Permissions tab, and change the permissions so you can, like, walk on water I guess?? But you say you want the player to use items to activate those powers. I know in RSE there was one item called Go-Goggles that allowed you to pass through the harsh desert winds in Route 111, so there is functionality built into the game for Key Items allowing you to pass through certain tiles.

I took a quick look at Route 111 in AdvanceMap, and it seems that the functionality to get into the desert dependent on whether you have the right item is not based on Movement Permissions, but on a bevy of Scripts on all the tiles leading to all entrances/exits to the sandy part of the route.

So, I guess try diving into those scripts? I'm a total noob at this stuff, though, so those are just my ideas. Hopefully someone less ignorant than I can help you!

Also I have some questions to ask of the thread:
(But I didn't want to double post - also, please note that I'm hacking Emerald)

1. Here's the big one: So, I'm editing Littleroot Town in AdvanceMap, and after a couple slow hours of learning the various shortcuts to the program and such, I cobbled together a decent town:
tumblr_inline_mtpqx86PrF1rwtmhn.png

Now, it's not perfect (I can't believe I forgot to put the little door spot thingy for that fourth house), but it's a start. Unfortunately, when I open it up in the actual game:

tumblr_inline_mtpqywigbI1rwtmhn.png

I'm traipsing through a featureless black void, which strangely appears to be filled with tall grass. I have limited mobility, and I can see the homeless fat man in the blue shirt sometimes, but it's obviously not what I'm looking for.

Now, I think I know what caused this, but it's something that I'm going to do anyway - I removed all the scripts from the Littleroot overworld map (not any of the houses yet). I also removed the vans. I wanted to be able to just wander around my new starter town without triggering any events beyond talking to people, signposts, and entering warps.

So, realizing what happened, I went into the Van Interior map, and noticed that the warp was going to some strange map bank - the warp number, map bank, and map are all 127. Seeing as the highest map bank I could find was Route 124 on 33.0, I changed the Van Interior warps to go to Littleroot at 0.9, and made a new warp to just chill kind of in the middle, to see if it worked. It didn't.

Also, even though I removed all the scripts, from both the Littleroot map and the Van Interior, I still automagically follow my Mom into my house (through the void), and I can't figure out why. Ultimately, I want to remove the entire van sequence, but for now, I would just settle for magically warping out of the middle of a van into the middle of vanless small town that ISN'T an inescapable black void of soul-crushing terror.

Any help would be immensely appreciated.

2. As you'll notice in the first picture, the exits to my new starter town are on the sides - to the left is the first route, and to the right is a small copse of trees in which you wake up from a dream and begin the game. I've finished making the map of the copse, and am ready to make a warp/edit the map connections to connect it to the main part of my starter town. However, I made a new map instead of editing an old one for this. I named it BRIGHTROOST TOWN (1.5) (that's the name of my new starter town), but it's in the "Map Files" folder instead of "From Header". Is there a way for me to move it to the Brightroost Town folder in "From Header", for organizational purposes? Also, is just naming it with "(1.5)" enough, or do I have to set the map bank and stuff some other way? How do I go about doing that?

Sorry for the long and complicated questions, but I'm hoping that to someone more experienced than I, they do seem like simple questions. If this was the wrong place to post this, then I'm sorry and it'd be great if someone could tell me where.

Also, if someone could make it be October 12th already, I would be much obliged. My wanting for X/Y has morphed from simple need to an all-consuming desire.
11.%20wink.gif

Years
As long as the script is shorter or the same size (in bytes, not lines) than the original. Hit F1 in XSE to bring up the command database, which tells you how many bytes each command needs.

So, if i only change small things, like Pokemon ID, or levels, or Music ID, or anything that involve "0x(blahblah)" it would not affect? Thx for your answer anyway :D

karatekid552

Years
So, if i only change small things, like Pokemon ID, or levels, or Music ID, or anything that involve "0x(blahblah)" it would not affect? Thx for your answer anyway :D

Yes, corruption only takes place when the number of new bytes is greater than the number of old. So, if you only change the existing bytes, and not the commands, you will be fine.

Sliter

Gaijin Trainer
Years
There is any way to export the text files from platinum in separated files for each .bin file in pl_msg.narc ?
getting in .bin with crystal title I couldn't find a way to open/convert them to xml or editable text
With thenewpoketext I can only get all the game text in one file(And it make my oldy pc frooze when I want to open), should be better if I could get them apart, like we can see in some editors like in SDSME or Ds text editor but I can't export/import them from there, there's any way?

Hacker Bisharp

Bug reporter
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 28, 2019
I'm trying to transalte an hack. I want to transalte this test:

But when i search it on advance text there are some weird "thing" before the test.

Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back