• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
Water monotype - B2
Defeated Iris. Super easy! (okay not really) But yeah. Cleared time: 16:38, faster than my dragon run.

Final team:
Spoiler:

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
Years
Finished Sinnoh!!
Spoiler:
Team:
Spoiler:

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
Years
Okay so in sometime last year, or quite possibly towards the end of 2011 (?), I started my Bug Monotype Runthrough (Ultimate). I made it to the Elite four on Diamond, and sort of fell off the face of the Earth for a while there. I'm pretty sure my last post is page 11. I was having trouble with Aaran, who kept demolishing me with his Drapion's high speed and attack. It was rather embarrassing actually, and I had to do a lot of grinding in Victory Road.

Last time on Lt. Col. Fantastic's Ultimate Bug monotype Runthrough! said:
So now I have

Vespiqueen
Heracross
Skorupi
Mothim
Kricketune

All lvl 50

That's the gist of my last reported situation. I did actually finish Sinnoh, and I guess I never posted it because, well, its not anywhere in the thread! So I'm going to give the major points of my final Test in Sinnoh. If Necrum (or anyone really) wants me to do the run through again due to how long it took to post this, and the fact that I don't remember exactly what happened, I will!

Here goes....

Okay, my team of highly trained Bug pokemon were level 50
I tried to beat the Elite Four with that, but was stopped by a certain Fire Type Trainer (actually, his steelix was the thing that stumped me. Even with Heracross's close combat)
So I went back to the drawing board. I brought Heracross up to around 55 I believe, and finally was able to one shot Steelix.
The rest of the E4 fell quite easily, I must say. But, Cynthia. Oh my god Cynthia was a nightmare.

I had a very elaborate trap for the Garchomp, but I never got to use it because all of my pokemon were either killed before they could attack it or had died to her other pokemon. So I just said "Screw it. I'm gonna grind."

I also said "Skorupi does like no damage. Meat shield status [on]"

So I pumped Heracross up to 64 (or maybe a bit lower. That is his current and final level). Ho snap. Two megahorns later, no more Garchomp. And after that it was pretty easy to defeat the champ and move on.

I started Black, I dont remember how far I got or anything really. So I'm just going to restart that region.

Also, the little dragon runthrough I was doing will continue after Bug is done. I do not know if I will start another type along side it. However, expect some more after the dragons are done. I'm thinking Ghost right now.

Tune in next time to hear me talk about how much I hate trying to level up a sewaddle.

Harmonixer3500

Pokémon Master
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 19, 2018
Longer update this time since I canceled all my other challenges(yay!). Anyway after beating Misty (see last update), I went north and kicked Gary's tuckus after which Zubat evolved into Golbat. Proceeded north across Nugget bridge beating each one easily. By the time I was ready for the Rocket boss Nidorino had learned Horn Attack so I evolved him into Nidoking. I defeated all the other trainers north of Cerulean, went through the Bill event, defeated all the trainers on my way to Vermillion City. Got on the S.S. Anne and beat all of those trainers. Taught Beedrill Cut, and then at the Gym taught Nidoking Dig. Used Nidoking to own the Vermillion Gym including defeating Surge in record breaking time.

Years
I would like to restart my water challenge or i would like to make it into a bug challenge since i was at silph co and i accedentaly restarted

Name:Blaziken153
Challenge: Ultimate
Game: Fire Red, Heart Gold, Emerald, Diamond, White
Mono Type: Bug

Years
First update:

-got a squirtle as a starter
-did the parcel thing
-got to viridian forest and captured Caterpie and Weedle
-dumped squirtle in the PC
-Both evolved into Metapod and Kakuna
-Got to pewter city
-went back and trained
-Metapod and Kakuna evolved into Butterfree and Beedrill
-took a while to beat Brock, had to be lucky so Butterfree could use confusion on onix which used Rock Tomb a lot
-got to Mt.Moon where i captured Paras
-Got to Cerulean City
-Defeated misty
-Got to S.S Anne Ticket
-Got to Vermilion City
-Went on the S.S Anne and Paras Evolved into Parasect
-Got Cut
-Defeated Lt.Surge
-Got to Lavender where i saved

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Hrm. I guess I haven't updated my Water Monotype since the first time, so yeah...

Some time after beating Brock, I spent a good bit of time training my Magikarp until it finally evolved into Gyarados. Squirtle became Wartortle along the way. Misty was pretty easy. It's not that hard to beat the water Leader with Water types tbh. So, after that was Surge. By that point I was pretty over powered. So, after that I was pretty much working on other challenges for a long while. Eventually, I made it to Rocket Game Corner and retrieved the Silph Scope. Then I avoided most of the trainers in Pokemon Tower until I saved Mr. Fuji. Once I had the Pokeflute, I woke up the Eastern Snorlax and got the Super Rod. I went and caught a Poliwhirl and a Staryu and began training. I pretty much evolved them both right away and loaded them with TMs. Once I had my two new Pokemon up to lvl 30, I took on Erika. Starmie's Psychic made quick work of them. Then I made my way along the Bicycle path, and challenged Koga, once again, a victory.

Current progress: 5/8

Team:
Spoiler:

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
Years
Type: Flying
Game: SoulSilver
Badges: 3

I never thought I would do this this early in the main game, and certainly not during a Monotype Challenge, but for the past two days, I found myself breeding for a Modest Yanma with Speed Boost, grinding casually in the meantime, evolving everyone in the process, even Magikarp. Zubat twice. (****ING YES) Eventually, I did hatch a beautiful Modest Yanma with Speed Boost, put it in the Day-Care for a short while, then took on Whitney. As expected, her Miltank was a pain in the ass, but nothing we couldn't handle. Skiploom Leech Seeded her and put Miltank to sleep. For some annoying reason, though, her Miltank refused to stay asleep, so Skiploom was eventually put down, and I switched to Crobat, having forgot about Miltank's Milk Drink. When that got too annoying, I U-Turned to Noctowl, who managed to put it to sleep, then use Confusion until it went down. Meanwhile, Yanma gained a bunch of levels in the Day-Care.

My team so far:
Spoiler:

BugBoyTroy

Professor in-training
Years
Username: trotz59
Type: Electric
Challenge: Ultimate
Game(s): LG, HG, E, Pt, W, W2

I will be making a playthrough on my youtube channel, so you can all see how it goes.

Last edited:
Years
After defeating Byron I went to iron island to get the hm Strength
defeated the two commanders at the lakes
Made my way to snowpoint city catching a snover/ Frost
I am dreading this gym battle...

Team

Spr_4p_389.png

Shellshock
Level 39
Quirky
Overgrow
None
-Bite
-Earthquake
-Leech Seed
-Grass Knot

Spr_4p_465_m.png

Kuriboh
Level 39
Relaxed
Leaf Guard
Exp Share
-Poisonpowder
-AncientPower
-Shock Wave
-Mega Drain

Spr_4p_357.png

Banana
Level 32
Modest
Chlorophyll
None
-Magical leaf
-Stomp
-Fly
-Roost

Spr_4p_470.png

Leafgreen
Level 40
Hardy
Leaf Guard
None
-Rock smash
-Strength
-Sand attack
-Quick attack

Spr_4p_421.png

Strawberry
Level 35
Careful
Flower gift
None
-Take down
-Sunny Day
-Leech Seed
-Petal Dance

Spr_4p_459_f.png

Frost
Level 32
Bashful
Snow Warning
-Swagger
-Mist
-Ice shard
-Ingrain

TrollShammy80

Loved all Pokemon Since 98'
Years
Haha Love the new sig, Necrum :D

Small Update on Mono-Fighting on Yin Black (sorry been busy)

1-Defeated Cress got first badge (was a bit difficult)
2-Defeated Cheren in the 3rd batle (recorded)
3-Saved the girls Pokemon from Team Plasma with help from Cheren, farmed the cave looking for the fighting types the appear there.

Captured-
NoLady (Mankey) f
Ruby (Machop) m

Still looking for a Timburr..

Team:
Mephiss the Pignite (m) Level 22
Arken the Kirlia (m) Level 21
NoLady the Mankey (f) Level 15
Ruby the Machop (m) Level 17

NoLady and Ruby are minor team mates...don't know if they'll be premanent at this point time will tell :)

Harmonixer3500

Pokémon Master
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 19, 2018
Another lengthy update. After beating Surge went back north to Cerulean City and went through Rock Tunnel (took longer than usual because I couldn't get Flash HM). After my trip through Rock tunnel went to Celadon after beating all the trainers on the way. Got to Celadon city and wiped the walls with the trainers there. Golbat easily dispatched Vileplume and Victreebel while Beedrill made short work of Tangela. After I healed up I took on Team Rocket making sure to beat them all. Faced Giovanni after which my Ivysaur evolved into Venusaur. Then I went to Pokemon Tower and had Golbat absolutely destroy the channelers. Beat Team Rocket in the tower and then beat all the trainers on routes 12 and 13 and then stopped at the top of route 14.

Years
  • Seen Aug 17, 2018
dark run update

I have finally finished Platinum

Final Team:
Spoiler:

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
On VoltWhite 2, Skyla's difficulty on challenge mode was killing me so I switched to Normal Mode for that battle. Here is my team:

Butterfree
Staraptor
Charizard
Salamence
Swanna

All level 51. And I am getting my last team member in a moment. It will be my protection against Electric types.

Harmonixer3500

Pokémon Master
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 19, 2018
I have another question regarding Fire Red/ Leaf Green. Since it's possible to get the national dex before the Elite 4 would it be within the parameters of the challenge to get the national dex so my Golbat can evolve before the Elite 4?

Years
  • Seen Apr 1, 2020
First post. Type: Normal. Challenge: Ultimate. Game: Currently LeafGreen.

In this playthrough I'm a girl, my name is Hero (it's a girl's name, look it up) and my rival's name is Rival. Started with Charmander (it was Modest! Seriously, game? The number of times I've soft-resetted for modest Charmanders and now you're giving me one and I'm not even using it AARGH- alright, alright, rant over.) Named it Abnormal and defeated rival's Squirtle with it. Caught female Pidgey (named Nina). Boxed Abnormal. Caught female Rattata (named Fangs) and male Spearow (named Beaky). Grinded to about level ten, defeated rival Rival again, and then watched obligatory How To Catch A Pokemon tutorial :-/. Proceeded to Viridian Forest, where Fangs killed all the bugs. I put emphasis in training Fangs because I was worried about Brock having Rock Tomb. Proceeded to Pewter City, defeated smartass gym underling, however Brock, who did have Rock Tomb, kicked my butt. Grinded Fangs and Nina to level 15 and Beaky to level 12. It was a close fight, but Nina managed to defeat Geodude, leaving Fangs to handle Onix. Brock bowed to my superiority and gave me the badge.

Current team:

Spoiler:

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
Years
I made some progress on making my hack so I thought I would continue my Rock challenge now.

After beating Burgh I went over to Route 4 and beat both Bianca and Cheren.
Then I caught the remainder of my team on Route 4, Desert Resort, and Relic Castle.
I caught an Omanyte, Slugma, Crustle, and Archen.
I grinded them up to the rest of my team then Omanyte, Slugma, and Archen all evolved!
Finally I challenged Elesa
vs
ElesaBWsprite.png

Spoiler:
Team:
Spoiler:

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
I've been anticipating this post for a while now: I'm finally finished with my Ground UMC! My last update was a while ago, detailing my completion of the gym challenge in every region as well as the defeat of N and Ghestis in Black. Shortly after that update I was able to complete LeafGreen, but I quickly got bogged down in school. However, this week my spring break started and one of my major goals was to finish this challenge. The first thing I did was complete Ruby, since it didn't require as much grinding as HeartGold. Then I went ahead finished Platinum yesterday for the same reason. After that, the only two games I had left were HeartGold and Black, which both required a fair amount of grinding before I was comfortable with taking on the final bosses. Yesterday I got my team in HeartGold to level 65 and my team in Black to level 73. This morning I woke up and worked on my movesets a little bit then decided to try to take on Red with failure expected. However, I actually managed to pull a victory out of the jaws of defeat! I started with Steelix, setting up Stealth Rocks (mainly to help defeat Lapras) them OHKOing Pikachu with Earthquake. I then stalled out Blastoise until it used all of its Blizzards, and managed to take it down after that. I used the same method to defeat both Lapras and Snorlax, getting lucky with a critical hit Earthquake that knocked out Snorlax. Next, Charizard was extremely easy with half of its HP lost upon entry and a Stone Edge by Golem. Finally, Venusaur managed to give my team a run for its money so I had to stall until it ran out of Giga Drain PP so I was able to take it out with a few Blizzards and Earthquakes in between Frenzy Plants and failed Sleep Powders! After my miraculous defeat of Red, I could see the end of the challenge so clearly so I quickly defeated the Elite Four and Alder in Black, which proved to be much less difficult.

Now that I'm finished with my second UMC, I'm going to take a small break before doing a Monotype on Black 2 (which I haven't opened in the 3 months since I've gotten it..) which will likely be expanded into another Ultimate Monotype. Any suggestions for a good type to mono on Black 2 (as in good team choices early in the game)?

Anyways, here are the point by point updates and final teams for each game for my Ground UMC:

LeafGreen
Spoiler:

- Traveled through Victory Road
- Arrived at Indigo Plateau
- Grinded the team to level 55
- Boutht some TM's at the Game Corner and adjusted movesets
- Defeated Lorelei - MVP Sandslash
- Defeated Bruno
- Defeated Agatha
- Defeated Lance - MVP Nidoking
- Defeated Blue - MVP Nidoking
Ground UMC Kanto: Complete! Time 23:08

Team:
golem.png
Golem / lv57 / Strength, Earthquake, Rock Blast, Rock Throw
nidoking.png
Nidoking / lv58 / Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt, Surf, Ice Beam Kanto MVP
sandslash.png
Sandslash / lv57 / Aerial Ace, Earthquake, Strength, Brick Break
dugtrio.png
Dugtrio / lv57 / Earthquake, Magnitude, Dig, Slash

HeartGold
Spoiler:

- Grinded the team to level 65
- Adjusted the team's movesets
- Defeated Red!
Ground UMC Johto: Complete! Time 48:26

Team:
golem.png
Golem / lv65 / Earthquake, Stone Edge, Rock Blast, Flamethrower
quagsire.png
Quagsire / lv65 / Waterfall, Earthquake, Headbutt, Sludge Bomb
steelix.png
Steelix / lv65 / Fire Fang, Earthquake, Stealth Rock, Crunch
nidoking.png
Nidoking / lv65 / Poison Jab, Earth Power, Shadow Claw, Thunderbolt
mamoswine.png
Mamoswine / lv65 / AncientPower, Strength, Blizzard, Earthquake Johto MVP

Ruby
Spoiler:

- Traveled to Ever Grande City
- Defeated Wally
- Arrived at the Pokemon League
- Grinded the team to level 53
- Defeated Sidney - MVP Swampert
- Defeated Phoebe - MVP Flygon
- Defeated Glacia - MVP Swampert
- Defeated Drake - MVP Flygon
- Defeated Steven - MVP Swampert
Ground UMC Hoenn: Complete! Time 17:56

Team:
swampert.png
Swampert / lv55 / Surf, Ice Beam, Earthquake, Brick Break Hoenn MVP
camerupt.png
Camerupt / lv54 / Earthquake, Rock Slide, Eruption, Flamethrower
flygon.png
Flygon / lv54 / Crunch, Dragon Claw, Earthquake, Fly

Platinum
Spoiler:

- Got HM07 Waterfall
- Defeated Barry
- Defeated Aaron - MVP Gliscor
- Defeated Bertha - MVP Garchomp
- Defeated Flint - MVP Rhyperior
- Defeated Lucian - MVP Garchomp
- Defeated Cynthia - MVP Garchomp
Ground UMC Sinnoh: Complete! Time 28:52

Team:
torterra.png
Torterra / lv52 / Earthquake, Crunch, Giga Drain, Razor Leaf
gliscor.png
Gliscor / lv54 / X-Scissor, Rock Slide, Brick Break, Aerial Ace
garchomp.png
Garchomp / lv57 / Dragon Claw, Surf, Shadow Claw, Earthquke Sinnoh MVP
rhyperior.png
Rhyperior / lv54 / Surf, Earthquake, Hammer Arm, Stone Edge

Black
Spoiler:

- Traveled around to get some TM's and adjusted movesets
- Grinded the team to level 73
- Defeated Marshal - MVP Golurk
- Defeated Shauntal
- Defeated Grimsley - MVP Krookodile
- Defeated Caitlin - MVP Excadrill
- Defeated Alder - co-MVP's Excadrill and Golurk
Ground UMC Unova: Complete! Time 25:02

Team:
excadrill.png
Excadrill / lv76 / Earthquake, Aerial Ace, Rock Slide, X-Scissor Unova MVP
seismitoad.png
Seismitoad / lv74 / Surf, Earthquake, Sludge Bomb, Drain Punch Endgame MVP
krookodile.png
Krookodile / lv74 / Crunch, Earthquake, Dragon Claw, Hidden Power (Ice)
golurk.png
Golurk / lv75 / Shadow Punch, Earthquake, Psychic, Thunderbolt

Pokemon LeafGreen Version
golem.png
nidoking.png
sandslash.png
dugtrio.png

Pokemon HeartGold Version
golem.png
quagsire.png
steelix.png
nidoking.png