• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

16x16 and 32x32 Pokemon Overworld Sprites

Status
Not open for further replies.

SneakerTheOtter

Otter Power!
Years
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 21, 2015
I've seen a few threads resizing Pokemon and Trainer sprites from later generations for use in a Gen 3 hack. I haven't see anything to do with the Pokemon overworld sprites yet, though. So, here it is, the resizing of Pokemon Overworld Sprites.

First up, here's the lowdown of what this is all about:

-All overworld sprites in Gen 3 are 16x16 or 32x32 (Alright that's not strictly true, most Trainers are 16x32, but you get the idea).

-In Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, as well as Black/White/2, the overworld sprites for Pokemon are considerably larger. Notable examples include Giratina, Reshiram, etc.

-I'm resizing these sprites to fit into either 16x16, or 32x32 (Large Pokemon, like most legendaries, will be 32x32; smaller Pokemon, like Shaymin or Victini and most non-legendaries, will be 16x16)

-I don't know if it is possible to add overworld sprites that are bigger than 32x32, I've never tried, but that's not really the point of this. The point is that the overworld sprites used in Gen 3 are 16x16 or 32x32, so it would be quite nice to have some Gen 4/5 ones of the same sizes as well. I find that using the massive sprite of BW Zekrom looks way out of proportion with RSE Groudon.

If you want to help contribute to this, feel free to post your sprites below. However, and I'll just make this a little bigger so you can't miss it, the sprites must obey the guidelines below. It is fine to ask why your sprite wasn't used so you may improve, but please do not spam or bug me both here and in pm's about whether your sprite will be used or not. If the sprite will be used, it will most likely be added to the list below, so there is no need to ask. If I'm not using a sprite, I will usually tell you that I'm not as well as tell you why.

All people who's sprites are used will be credited :3

Ok, so here are the guidelines:

1. If possible (usually the case with non-legendaries/small legendaries), try to get the sprite to fit 16x16. I will make a list of sprites that can be 32x32, although this list may be edited as some non-legendary Pokemon may be too big for 16x16. These will be added in time.

2. After resizing, the sprite MUST be cleaned up. I cannot stress this enough - just resizing will not do. Any posts with resized sprites that are not cleaned up will just be ignored, simple as that.

3. Try to avoid using the DPPt sprites, as they are not really as good quality-wise as the HG/SS ones. A lot of Unova Pokemon do not have overworld sprites, so custom ones will have to be created.

4. Less of a guideline and more of a quick note - every single Pokemon and their forms will need a resized overworld sprite. This includes the ones that already have overworld sprites in RSE, since the HG/SS sprites look much nicer.

Last thing, these sprites are open for anyone to use in their hack. That's what this thread is for.

Actually, this is the last thing - please read this whole block of uninteresting text before posting here, thanks :3

Last last thing, I might add overworld sprites for Trainers eventually. For now though, it's just the Pokemon.

16x16 Sprites:

Gen 1:
Spoiler:

Gen 2:
Spoiler:

Gen 3:
Spoiler:

Gen 4:
Spoiler:

Gen 5:
Spoiler:

32x32 Sprites:
Spoiler:

Undetermined:
Spoiler:

Here's a montage of what I've done so far:
33o79jn.png

CREDITS:
SneakerTheOtter
Tajaros

Last edited:

cmbeke

Just Plain Crazy
Years
  • Seen Oct 29, 2017
How do you want resizing done? I got hg/ss overworld sprites from veekun.com and the treeco that is included is exactly the same size with some minor changes, but no extra space around it. Do you want the sprite resized so the sprite just fits within 16x16 box or do you want the whole image proportionality changed. You don't want it proportionality changed - just cropped right?

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
This is really helpful for hackers out there, but maybe instead of just Pokemon OW's maybe you should include the Human/Trainer OW's... :)

Well anyway good luck with this I might help you if I had some free time... :)

SneakerTheOtter

Otter Power!
Years
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 21, 2015
That. and will there be walking animations? (I doubt it.)

I'm working on the standard standing animations for now. Once they're done (or once I'm sick to death of them) I'll probably move on to do side sprites, and eventually animations may be possible.

How do you want resizing done? I got hg/ss overworld sprites from veekun.com and the treeco that is included is exactly the same size with some minor changes, but no extra space around it. Do you want the sprite resized so the sprite just fits within 16x16 box or do you want the whole image proportionality changed. You don't want it proportionality changed - just cropped right?

Although it would be nice to have the sprites resized in proportion to each other, it just isn't possible, as they would be too small. So if it fits into 16x16, leave it as it is. But don't crop, resize. Cropping as in removing a few pixels from a leg or something looks horrible. Also, the HG/SS sprites have 2 animations - left foot forward, and right foot forward. The two need combining to make the sprite just standing still, as I will be doing walking animations sometime in the future.

This is really helpful for hackers out there, but maybe instead of just Pokemon OW's maybe you should include the Human/Trainer OW's...

Well anyway good luck with this I might help you if I had some free time...

If you look in the original post, I said that I was doing Pokemon for now, but I will move on to include Trainers and NPC's at a later date.

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
If you look in the original post, I said that I was doing Pokemon for now, but I will move on to include Trainers and NPC's at a later date.

Oh ok, and also if you're doing the other frames be sure that they stick in one pallete and be sure also to have them indexed... :)

And you can insert sprites bigger than 32x32 for example the boat OW and there's a setting that allows you to change that in NSE... :)

SneakerTheOtter

Otter Power!
Years
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 21, 2015
And you can insert sprites bigger than 32x32 for example the boat OW and there's a setting that allows you to change that in NSE... :)

Ah didn't know that. But the trainers and Pokemon OW sprites from Gen 3 are all 32x32 or less, so I'd like to keep them that size.

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
Hey I tried on making my Bulbasaur Sprite I'm too lazy to submit them one by one so I did them in one sheet (All of these sprites are from BW2)

Spoiler:

I can do a redo if you want... :)

I almost forgot it's also Indexed so all that is left is to crop it and insert... :)

cmbeke

Just Plain Crazy
Years
  • Seen Oct 29, 2017
...Cropping as in removing a few pixels from a leg or something looks horrible. Also, the HG/SS sprites have 2 animations - left foot forward, and right foot forward. The two need combining to make the sprite just standing still, as I will be doing walking animations sometime in the future...

I know that, I meant just cropping out all the empty space and then resizing if needed. How do you want pokemon that have no legs handled? Some thing like shellder doesn't walk, its animation is the shell opening and closing. Just resize it to make it smaller?

SneakerTheOtter

Otter Power!
Years
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 21, 2015
How do you want pokemon that have no legs handled? Some thing like shellder doesn't walk, its animation is the shell opening and closing. Just resize it to make it smaller?

Pretty much, yeah. Just take the sprite of it standing still, and resize it until it fits in 16x16.

Also Tajaros, those Bulbasaur sprites are pretty good, however they're all in a walking animation. I will be using those, but is it ok for me to edit a few of them to have some standing sprites as well?

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
Pretty much, yeah. Just take the sprite of it standing still, and resize it until it fits in 16x16.

Also Tajaros, those Bulbasaur sprites are pretty good, however they're all in a walking animation. I will be using those, but is it ok for me to edit a few of them to have some standing sprites as well?

Sure, sorry I can't find standing sprites in the BW2 OW sheet, I'll submit one's with standing sprites next time... :)

SneakerTheOtter

Otter Power!
Years
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 21, 2015
Added Bulbasaur =D

I think it would be better to do all 12 sprites for each Pokemon before uploading them. Gets it done ;P. By 12, I mean the 4 standing sprites (up, down, left, right) and the 8 sprites of the same direction in a walking animation. Bulbasaur's in the list, use that if you don't get my awful attempt at explaining.

Also, don't worry about finding standing sprites for Gen 1-4 Pokemon. In HG/SS they just had the two walking sprites - left foot forward and right foot forward. To get a standing sprite I usually just combine the two so neither foot is forward, but you can leave that bit out if you want and I'll add it in later ;3

EDIT: Also added Victini :3

Last edited:

BLOOOD-La-ti-

This is the place to try!
Years
GOOD LUCK with the project!anywayz i'm bringing u some OW I made a hack a long time ago i used it,it was pretty awesome,but their old and their from hg ss,
so i decided to bring u B2W2 OW's but i wouldn't make customs im too lazy,
and anywayz latias and latios will be first!(always hoenn).

Here u go latias and latios OW sprite
hope this helps here u go:

19xwud.jpg

alrbix.jpg

They may look resized but they aren't...(cuz u might think i really resized them D: )
anywayz i'll give u the regis soon
Post or PM me if something's wrong..k..

Last edited:

SneakerTheOtter

Otter Power!
Years
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 21, 2015
19xwud.jpg

alrbix.jpg

Post or PM me if something's wrong..k..

Latias isn't bad, but Latios looks like it's been made bigger. It's also very blocky and not tidied up.

Also on second thoughts, Latias and Latios could possibly fit into 16x16. I'll try that first, and if it works, then I'm afraid I won't be using either of these, sorry. But if I can't get them into 16x16, I might be using Latias =D

BLOOOD-La-ti-

This is the place to try!
Years
k!

Latias isn't bad, but Latios looks like it's been made bigger. It's also very blocky and not tidied up.

Also on second thoughts, Latias and Latios could possibly fit into 16x16. I'll try that first, and if it works, then I'm afraid I won't be using either of these, sorry. But if I can't get them into 16x16, I might be using Latias =D

k,but i'll try regis in 16x16..oh wait that's impossible
EDIT:Here are the regis(they're in attachments)
I couldn't find a free imagehosting web I don't like registering in any of those,tinypic only uploads it to jpg which is bad..
btw,regis in 16x16 is not possible!Oh they shouldn't look resized now cuz they're smaller than 32x32 if u selected it in a smaller image,but if u make it a little bigger they fit 32x32 perfectly. :D

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 4, 2012
I just discovered that this forum is what I'm looking for, the pixel art forum! Well, I'm looking for your trainer overworld sprites!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back