• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

IMPORTANT: Regarding under-13s and COPPA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Can I not get banned until my mom/dad gets home? They're both at work right now and I'm not ready to say goodbye yet. Pretty please? :(

You're r showing good faith in getting parental consent but if we don't have it by the end of the night we will have to unfortunately ban you.

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
Your showing good faith in getting parental consent but if we don't have it by the end of the night we will have to unfortunately ban you.

Okay, okay. But our time zones are completely different -- my mom and dad'll be home around seven or eight P.M. here in the Philippines, and it's only 9 o' clock.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
As long as she's getting her consent from her parents, and they already know she's here anyway and I'm assuming they'll have no problem giving her written consent when they get home, I don't see the point in threatening a time limit before we ban her, especially when you consider the time zones. She'll get it done.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Unfortunately you might be banned but you can appeal when you have consent. I can't give a solid time limit or anything but you are showing good faith in getting consent so IMO I wouldn't ban you but it's not my decision.

Verifiable Parental Consent

Before collecting, using or disclosing personal information from a child, an operator must obtain verifiable parental consent from the child's parent. This means an operator must make reasonable efforts (taking into consideration available technology) to ensure that before personal information is collected from a child, a parent of the child receives notice of the operator's information practices and consents to those practices.

Until April 2002, the FTC will use a sliding scale approach to parental consent in which the required method of consent will vary based on how the operator uses the child's personal information. That is, if the operator uses the information for internal purposes, a less rigorous method of consent is required. If the operator discloses the information to others , the situation presents greater dangers to children, and a more reliable method of consent is required. The sliding scale approach will sunset in April 2002 subject to a Commission review planned for October 2001.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
Okay, okay. But our time zones are completely different -- my mom and dad'll be home around seven or eight P.M. here in the Philippines, and it's only 9 o' clock.
If you do get banned you should still be able to contact the administrator, by emailing them the consent letter. Once that's done it might take a few days but then you should be clear.

I've had issues with my account before (not banning, getting locked out) and it takes a few days.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Since she was a supporter I wouldn't be surprised if she got it.

Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2015
I hate this ****ing law. Dumbest piece of **** law bill the US government's ever passed. And they've passed a lot of ****** laws.

Really? Have you ever met someone in their pre-teens exposed to an online gaming community of an M-rated multi-player game? *coughCallofDutycough* These guys have some of the dirtiest mouths ever found on anyone. They're a disgrace towards the future generation!

Thus, I do find a lot of wisdom in COPPA, & anyone else that says otherwise either has a corrupt mindset, or hasn't met anyone who's like that.

Last edited:

SomaQL

The Varia Suit
Years
These laws are passed for a reason, some of those reasons are dumb, and it sucks that they affect our friends.

COPPA was passed specifically for forums like this, as well as sites like ChatRoulette and other admittedly dangerous websites as such. There are/could be people surfing these forums and other websites looking specifically for younger children. You or I may not have these intentions, but taking advantage of a child is quite a bit easier than taking advantage of adults, and I'm not talking about molestation or rape (although those are possible outcomes of interactions with adults (again, risks the parents and guardians of the minors should be deciding for their children)).

COPPA is not banning children under 13 from the internet. It is regulating their interactions with older members of these communities. A lot of you feel children are already exposed to worse material than Pokemon battles, but it isn't about the site's material or the nature of the community. Children WILL be exposed to inappropriate and vulgar material unless laws like COPPA prevent it.

I pose this question to you: Would you rather have to get parental consent (note that this isn't "Fine, my kid can go on this site", clearance, this is, "Yes, I understand my child my be exposed to older kids, or even adults, and I accept the risks and consequences of their actions) to access websites like Youtube, Reddit, and other forums websites which preserve the right of Free Speech, meaning that ANY form of unmoderated vulgarity can and will arise there. Or would you like a response to such vulgarity? Something to protect children from the internet, which is far and away the least restricted entity in the world, ever.

Again, THIS DOES NOT BAN CHILDREN FROM THE INTERNET. It's a measure of PREVENTION to help ensure that they are not exposed to content and people that their parent/guardians would otherwise forbid them from observing or taking part in. There are ways to circumvent this, but there are also ways to get around just about every rule or regulation that has or will ever exist. That doesn't make the law wrong or useless, merely like every other. You can break it, and, though I am currently unaware of the punishment associated with breaking the law, it is like every other, not cruel or unusual.

It is very difficult to explain this in a post, rather than through words, so I'll leave it at that. If you would like me to elaborate on my opinion, feel free to VM, PM, or find me on the server.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2015
Steve hosts PC in America, so yeah, not much can really be done about that unless he moves lol.

Yeah, & that's going to be really unfeasible, since it's going to cost him more money that would've been better spent maintaining this site, if not improving it.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
why can't we just transfer pc on a different country? i hate seeing ppl younger than me go, and i have many friends ;-;

Besides, tbqh COPPA isn't a terrible law it's just hard to enforce. We're doing our best to enforce it now and we are more than willing to accept parental consent.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Despite how "crappy" these laws are, they're there to protect young minors from manipulation or worse, they do a lot more good protecting children, than bad. Law is law, the bill was passed, just find the silver lining; security for children who need it is working at least a little bit on the internet.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
this is the first time i've seen COPPA being enforced in over half a decade lmao
i imagine that it'll only be a few months until y'all forget about enforcing this rigidly anyway

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
this is the first time i've seen COPPA being enforced in over half a decade lmao
i imagine that it'll only be a few months until y'all forget about enforcing this rigidly anyway
It's more a case that if ever something happened involving a minor on the forum, and it ended up being investigated, we could be shut down or worse for not abiding by law. And while it's not common that things get reported to authorities when it comes to forums, it has happened, and even in our past too.

We may be a bit late on actually enforcing this properly, but it's certainly a case where running the risk of prosecution because an angry parent or guardian reported the forum for allowing their child to present information about themselves unlawfully, isn't worth the consequences it would present.

No matter how unlikely a scenario, you need to consider what you can do about the risks it presents. In this case, abiding by this law covers our asses in case of an unlikely, but unfortunate event involving a minor.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
So, apparently, for a minor under 13, getting registered with parental consent isn't an option for this forum.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
Unfortunately, no. You need physical proof of consent to do so. Maybe PC is a bit late to the game but I know of several other sites that enforce COPPA. One site I frequent prevents anyone under age 13 from registering at all and bans immediately upon discovery of the account. And sidestepping the ban by creating another account usually results in an IP ban. A permanent one.

A really recent enforcement of COPPA: http://www.nj.gov/oag/newsreleases12/pr20120606a.html
A not-so-recent one: https://www.oag.state.tx.us/oagnews/release.php?id=2288

Last edited:

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
You know the saddest part about it?

That staff have decided to start enforcing this law after more then a decade since this forum's creation.

This law was on the books before this site even existed. You'd think that this would have been one of the things talked about when the site was first created, not a decade after the fact.

So all of you saying that we are a bit 'late' to the game? No. We are not late to the game. We missed the game. We never cared enough to show up for the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back