• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pokémon & Trainer Sprite Changes?

KingDrapion

dual-type Poison/Dark Pokémon.
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2014
I don't know if this has been speculated yet, but does anyone think that Game Freak will update the sprite animations for the Unova Pokemon (or even all the older generation pokemon) for B2 and W2? Looking at the scans, the sprites have not changed. I actually hope they do, even though it may seem pointless to a lot of people, but some sprite animations I did not like. E.g Flygon's where it did that weird dance or Ho oh where it looks like it's struggling to fly. Well, what do you guys think? They most likely won't change it, but for every new game they have.

EDIT:
The Unova Pokemon have new sprite animations.
Have a look here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_mZKeD0Eag&feature=related

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I don't think they will, because the graphics aren't updated and the animations were so complex this generation that it would take a ton of time to update them, lol.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
^ sadly. :( Perhaps maybe some colour changes, or just animation changes for only Unova Pokemon, but really I think that's all there will be if anything. Oh well, if not, then we can always wait for gen 6!

Magnificence

That's me in the corner
Years
I'm happy with the current sprites. Considering it takes like 5-6 different sprites to make the animations for each Pokemon (don't forget the backsprites as well), I don't mind if we stick with the same sprites from BW1.

However, I am hoping for some animated gym leader sprites

KingDrapion

Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2014
I don't think they will, because the graphics aren't updated and the animations were so complex this generation that it would take a ton of time to update them, lol.
Yeah true, but hopefully they will be able to atleast improve their pixels

^ sadly. :( Perhaps maybe some colour changes, or just animation changes for only Unova Pokemon, but really I think that's all there will be if anything. Oh well, if not, then we can always wait for gen 6!

Colour changing could happen, but I guess waiting for gen 6 is where its at for improved sprites.

I'm happy with the current sprites. Considering it takes like 5-6 different sprites to make the animations for each Pokemon (don't forget the backsprites as well), I don't mind if we stick with the same sprites from BW1.

However, I am hoping for some animated gym leader sprites

Well, backsprites atleast would be good. Like you, i'm also hoping gym leaders get animated. Don't know why they didn't do it in the 1st Black and White

Yeah they should update some of the sprites, especially the back sprites, they were pixelated and well, bad.

Finally someone who agrees with me

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I am not too confident of it happening. As the style is the same from assumptions from the coro coro scans (animated sprites - don't see them removing the animations after all) I doubt they'll revamp them. Still, it's possible and I wouldn't mind seeing some improvements on a few of them as well.

Wouldn't be surprised to see human sprites to be redone though, as that's not too much for them to do in comparison to changing a significant portion of 649 Pokemon species.

gunnerpow7

☆ キレイハナ Kireihana ☆
Years
It is possible that we will have updated sprites but fully animated sprites... done 649 times... That doesn't even cover the forms... Well, for me, I'm 50/50 on this one..

Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2013
They could do something like intro animation. I mean, there could be single animation appearing only once after Pokemon is sent out and it will lead to loop animation from original B/W.

luke

Master of the Elements
Years
Come Gen 6, they probably won't even use sprites.

Here's to hoping this is true. If Game Freak was smart they'd finally upgrade to 3D.

Anyway we saw in the scans they were using the old sprites. Not to say anything in them is final (Excadrill was a different color in his initial scan appearance) but as everyone else said, too much work for a company as lazy as Game Freak.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Doubt they'd wanna change it. If the sprites were stationary, then I could see it happening. They did it for Platinum anyway. But since they're actually animated this time around, then it probably won't happen. Besides, we're getting enough changes between BW and these games to really complain about something as meaningless as sprite updates.

blue

gucci
Years
They're fine as they are and besides that would be way too time consuming for the space they have to fully develop and release these pair of games.

KingDrapion

Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2014
They could do something like intro animation. I mean, there could be single animation appearing only once after Pokemon is sent out and it will lead to loop animation from original B/W.

This would be a good idea, game freak could atleast do this.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
I don't really mind if the sprites and animations change or not, they're pretty fine to me. Plus if these games are to be epic as we make it sound, I'd rather GameFreak focus on the parts of the game we'll really study. Otherwise, the sprites are good as new. d("d)

bobandbill

one more time
Years
They have however given some trainer sprite animations.

EDIT: Some people are claiming that Serperior actually got a different (back) animation...

Last edited:
Back