• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Quick Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

|Torch|

Fire Trainer!
Years
Um.. is there a video forum here that we can post on?.. for pokemon black and white? Just to share videos.. I don't want to be posting in the wrong place you know?

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
Um...I arrived in Black City, but...there's no one there. O.o
"The appearance of Black City varies with the number of characters residing there. When the player enters the city for the very first time, the total number of residents is determined by the number of days it took the player to reach Black City. The number of residents can vary between 12 (minimum occupancy) and 45 (maximum occupancy)"
I don't know how much this helps.

Um.. is there a video forum here that we can post on?.. for pokemon black and white? Just to share videos..
http://www.pokecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=210
There is a Lets Play Forum here^

Neiko Star

Dancing rain
Years
  • Seen Nov 18, 2012
...there's absolutely NO one here. It's empty. D:

And where can I find the TM Flamethrower?

Years
  • Seen Jan 15, 2015
Really beginning to struggle...

When I first started Black I thought it seemed more balanced and less difficult than other generations, but things have slowly shifted as I have progressed and I now find myself hitting a wall. Part of this is simple frustration at the encounter rate. I am sick of fighting every two-to-three squares (sometimes twice on the same square), and Repels are a waste of highly-limited-cash (with no VS Seeker) when you are going to face a trainer in 10 steps. Part of it, however, just seems inexplicable. Basically, almost every Pokemon I have seems utterly and completely useless. I have tried to grind them, but they either need to be rushed to a PokeCenter after the first battle, or they do not live that long even. What is really absurd is that I am making sure to stick with type-advantage against Pokemon of the same level. Grass Pokemon are being pummelled by Water or Ground Pokemon, for example (eg a same-level Pansage was one-shotted by Basculin with a Water-type attack earlier today). Because of this, I gave up trying and keep having the rely on the same few Pokemon. As such, I have completed the sixth gym and have three Pokemon nearing level 40, two around level 30. Pretty well everything else is around levels 15-20, with a couple captured in the mid-20s and not moving (eg Joltik). Even with these `powerful' options, I am constantly seeing absurd scenarios. Earlier today, my level 37 Samurott (Surf/Megahorn/Revenge) went from full health to fainting against a level 34 Bouldor! Even when this does not happen, with so few viable options, and so many battles, I run out of PP before I get anywhere and find myself constantly using Repels and running back to PokeCenters, adding to the frustration. I was really enjoying the game before, so I want to get over this hurdle and continue on my way. Now, plenty of people have finished the game, so obviously the problem is with me, not the game. The only Pokemon I feel I can rely on are Samurott, Zebstrika and Sawk, and I am not able to trade with anyone (so no Conkeldurr, or non-Unova/non-Black Pokemon). I suspect I need to find somewhere I can sit down and grind with the Exp. Share until my other Pokemon hit level 30-35 and become capable of contributing, or somewhere lower-level where I can have these Pokemon fight for themselves. Where would be the best place to do this, and which Pokemon are actually worth the effort (since all of them currently seem useless)?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
When I first started Black I thought it seemed more balanced and less difficult than other generations, but things have slowly shifted as I have progressed and I now find myself hitting a wall. Part of this is simple frustration at the encounter rate. I am sick of fighting every two-to-three squares (sometimes twice on the same square), and Repels are a waste of highly-limited-cash (with no VS Seeker) when you are going to face a trainer in 10 steps. Part of it, however, just seems inexplicable. Basically, almost every Pokemon I have seems utterly and completely useless. I have tried to grind them, but they either need to be rushed to a PokeCenter after the first battle, or they do not live that long even. What is really absurd is that I am making sure to stick with type-advantage against Pokemon of the same level. Grass Pokemon are being pummelled by Water or Ground Pokemon, for example (eg a same-level Pansage was one-shotted by Basculin with a Water-type attack earlier today). Because of this, I gave up trying and keep having the rely on the same few Pokemon. As such, I have completed the sixth gym and have three Pokemon nearing level 40, two around level 30. Pretty well everything else is around levels 15-20, with a couple captured in the mid-20s and not moving (eg Joltik). Even with these `powerful' options, I am constantly seeing absurd scenarios. Earlier today, my level 37 Samurott (Surf/Megahorn/Revenge) went from full health to fainting against a level 34 Bouldor! Even when this does not happen, with so few viable options, and so many battles, I run out of PP before I get anywhere and find myself constantly using Repels and running back to PokeCenters, adding to the frustration. I was really enjoying the game before, so I want to get over this hurdle and continue on my way. Now, plenty of people have finished the game, so obviously the problem is with me, not the game. The only Pokemon I feel I can rely on are Samurott, Zebstrika and Sawk, and I am not able to trade with anyone (so no Conkeldurr, or non-Unova/non-Black Pokemon). I suspect I need to find somewhere I can sit down and grind with the Exp. Share until my other Pokemon hit level 30-35 and become capable of contributing, or somewhere lower-level where I can have these Pokemon fight for themselves. Where would be the best place to do this, and which Pokemon are actually worth the effort (since all of them currently seem useless)?

Considering your amount of badges, Twist Mountain is probably the best place to train at, considering you have a Samurott, which should be able to stand up to the Pokemon there. Though when it comes to lower level Pokemon, most of the time I go to Route 3 to train them up, since you can find Pokemon around 15 or so, as well as Audinos, and some strong fighting types who give somewhat good exp.

Merged with Simple Questions anyway for more input.

Neiko Star

Dancing rain
Years
  • Seen Nov 18, 2012
Argh...I really don't get it. I looked it up online and apparently the number of trainers at Black City depends on the amount of time it took you to reach it...does this mean my game time? The city is COMPLETELY empty for me. There's absolutely nobody here. ; u ;

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Argh...I really don't get it. I looked it up online and apparently the number of trainers at Black City depends on the amount of time it took you to reach it...does this mean my game time? The city is COMPLETELY empty for me. There's absolutely nobody here. ; u ;

If you use Extralink (that feature I think it was) with someone who has the opposite to you - so if you have Black, and the other has White, then you can fill it up again with trainers. :)

Neiko Star

Dancing rain
Years
  • Seen Nov 18, 2012
How does the Entralink work? Sorry for all my questions. :/ But I'm sure zero trainers isn't normal. I know that with the Entralink you can add more trainers, but I had none to begin with...

Sasuke.

Hope | Less
Years
How does the Entralink work? Sorry for all my questions. :/ But I'm sure zero trainers isn't normal. I know that with the Entralink you can add more trainers, but I had none to begin with...
Entralink you have to know someone with B/W that is physically near you. Then you use wireless to do little "missions" with the person. Honestly my black city filled up with 10 trainers when I did a trade with my Japanese White.

fire woven

Erif Nevow, my RP name
Years
Supposedly messing with the clock removes the traners from there.

Entralink works by using the touch screen at teh bottom, and electing the wireless option, is the yellow one. Then you have your freind turn on his/her CGear, and you cross a bridge to there world. I have never used it before, but this is how it seems to work.

DayDreamer

Pokemon Gamer
Years
Part of this is simple frustration at the encounter rate. I am sick of fighting every two-to-three squares (sometimes twice on the same square), and Repels are a waste of highly-limited-cash (with no VS Seeker) when you are going to face a trainer in 10 steps. Part of it, however, just seems inexplicable. Basically, almost every Pokemon I have seems utterly and completely useless. I have tried to grind them, but they either need to be rushed to a PokeCenter after the first battle, or they do not live that long even. What is really absurd is that I am making sure to stick with type-advantage against Pokemon of the same level. Grass Pokemon are being pummelled by Water or Ground Pokemon, for example (eg a same-level Pansage was one-shotted by Basculin with a Water-type attack earlier today). Because of this, I gave up trying and keep having the rely on the same few Pokemon. As such, I have completed the sixth gym and have three Pokemon nearing level 40, two around level 30. Pretty well everything else is around levels 15-20, with a couple captured in the mid-20s and not moving (eg Joltik). Even with these `powerful' options, I am constantly seeing absurd scenarios. Earlier today, my level 37 Samurott (Surf/Megahorn/Revenge) went from full health to fainting against a level 34 Bouldor! Even when this does not happen, with so few viable options, and so many battles, I run out of PP before I get anywhere and find myself constantly using Repels and running back to PokeCenters, adding to the frustration. I was really enjoying the game before, so I want to get over this hurdle and continue on my way. Now, plenty of people have finished the game, so obviously the problem is with me, not the game.
It's not you lol. It's this game. It's definitely a lot harder than previous generations. I had to run back and forth between pokemon centers too. I'm also guessing this is why there are so many doctors and nurses around xD. This is the first pokemon game that I have ever had to play with repels. Encounter rate is insane. But I still fought most of them for exp. I never had level difference problems until elite four to be honest. For the most part I was at least 2~3 levels above everything I was up against (and they still hurt me quite a bit). If you keep switching your team you'll lag behind in levels.

Make sure you don't buy potions. Buy drinks from vending machines instead. It's cheaper so you'll have cash for repels. And give the first pokemon in the party amulet coin if you have for more cash. Make sure you buy super repels over max repels as it works out cheaper overall (I tend to always try and pay less as possible in this game ><).

The only Pokemon I feel I can rely on are Samurott, Zebstrika and Sawk, and I am not able to trade with anyone (so no Conkeldurr, or non-Unova/non-Black Pokemon). I suspect I need to find somewhere I can sit down and grind with the Exp. Share until my other Pokemon hit level 30-35 and become capable of contributing, or somewhere lower-level where I can have these Pokemon fight for themselves. Where would be the best place to do this, and which Pokemon are actually worth the effort (since all of them currently seem useless)?
If you have surf and fly you can back track some old places that will give you trainer battles. Notably route 17 and 18 that's west of route 1.

Years
Tirtouga

I picked the feather fossil, which I think will come out to be Archen. Is there any way to get Tirtouga also, or will I have to trade via WiFi for it?

I have White Version by the way.

Another Question:
About how much of a "big damage" does Wake-Up Slap do to a sleeping Pokemon?

Last edited:

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
I picked the feather fossil, which I think will come out to be Archen. Is there any way to get Tirtouga also, or will I have to trade via WiFi for it?

I have White Version by the way.
No just one Unova Fossil per game. So you will have to go through Wifi to get or know somebody in person. Other Fossils are given at Twist Mountain upon obtaining National Dex.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Oh thanks. Do you obtain the National Dex by catching them all or just seeing them all?

You get the National Dex after beating the Elite Four, when the other generations start appearing in long grass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back