• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon as a Trainer?

Years
  • Seen Mar 24, 2018
I've seen two different hacks, both using Pokemon Ruby as the base, which feature an actual Pokemon as the main character. In Super Rising Thunder, the main character is a Pichu, who has to go out into the world as a rite of passage. In Ruby Destiny: Rescue Rangers, you are a Pikachu, having become one after falling asleep and waking up in a different dimension.

I think more of this type of game should be made, because it allows for some rather interesting stories to be told. Super Rising Thunder, for example, is rather dark in content, and even includes bloodshed on a couple of occasions (I would rate the game T, ESRB-wise). Rescue Rangers is a more light-hearted game, with a lot of Mystery Dungeon elements, but is played in the same fashion as a mainstream game (turn-based battles).

Imagine this story arc, which I'm not sure has been done before:

Bill develops a handheld version of his original PC system, and asks you to test it out on your quest to fill up the Pokedex. Of course, the darn thing malfunctions, and turns you into a young Mewtwo. Otherwise, it works normally. Seems Bill accidentally overlooked a bug in the handheld PC--it can only be used by a Pokemon, hence the reason it turned you into a Mewtwo (it decided that was the best match, given that 'Two has a bit of human DNA, already).

The changes to gameplay would be as follows: instead of using various types of Balls, you will be occasionally asked to recruit Pokemon you defeat in battle. You will not be able to use various types of Potions, Elixirs, Ethers and anything else man-made. You will still be able to enter these Pokemon into the Pokedex, and store them on your handheld PC, as well as visit Pokemon Centers and Marts (Pokemon can still use cash, as demonstrated in the Mystery Dungeon games).

The recruitment rate for Pokemon will be determined by two ratios: your level versus theirs, and your catch rate versus theirs. If the combined ratio is high enough, the Pokemon will ask you to recruit them. Yes, as a Mewtwo, you will be able to understand what Pokemon are saying. This will factor greatly into the general storyline, as Pokemon will be able to give you clues as to how to proceed. Thus, don't just talk to people. Talk to whatever Pokemon you meet. This will create a deeper story than an ordinary Pokemon game.

Last edited:
Back