• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Female professor!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
So these games were the first to introduce a female professor (and assistant) team (of pretty much Bianca and Juniper). How did you like the change from the usual male professor and assistant? Do you think they were believable at those roles? Would've you preferred a male? Or maybe changed Juniper's design or personality? Share yo thoughts.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
I'm so use to Professors coming and going, the difference in gender didn't affect me in the least. In terms of personality, she certainly didn't bother me and was very helpful and is one of the few characters in Black and Black 2 that I actually liked.

I didn't realize how revolutionary this change was until you mentioned it, Forever.

After four generations of Professors, they've become a small and insignificant role in my book. I meet them, take their Pokémon and check in with them occasionally for a PokéDex check-up and some story elements.

In conclusion, Juniper was just another professor to me. But I certainly didn't mind her.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
It didn't make a difference within the game itself. However, I noticed she is far more doting than previous main series professors. Although this has been a gradual trend, finally making the 'tutorial girl' an actual girl ultimately plays into a feminine stereotype undeserving of the sort of positive reception that an "omg first female X" remark implies. Given that, a female professor represents a regression of standards, if anything. I acknowledge that this is rather an over-analysis of the matter.

Last edited:
Years
I honestly never thought too much into this, but I guess it is a nice change after having four straight male professors. Her role does seem a little diluted though, seeing as how Cedric Juniper (her dad) shows up almost as frequently throughout the games to check in with the player.

Much like Timothy though, I didn't pay much mind to any of the past professors, and Professor Juniper was no different. Still, I liked her character, and I wouldn't be surprised if she makes an appearance in future games (much like Professor Oak has).

Years
I actually liked this change, I did get a bit bored of having male professors for four straight generations and adding a female to the mix was something well needed because 5th Generation was a very revolutionary generation to Pokemon imo. Also, I liked the fact her father Cedric works as a professor too.

I did like Juniper's personality, she was something I wanted to see in a good Pokemon Professor. And the fact she studies the origins of Pokemon was what made Unova even more interesting and the games fun to play.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 18, 2015
Personally I agree with Cassino to point. It seems kinda sexist to make a big deal about "First Female (Insert job title here)" or "First Male (Insert job title)".

Warning: Personal opinions about future professors to follow.

That said, I'm kind of hoping for a more flamboyant professor by the name of "Willow". I think from an aesthetics standpoint it would make sense to have it be a woman at this point, though it would be interesting to see how they could make it work with a man.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
To me, Professor Juniper was a little flat. We all know Oak well enough, Elm was sort of the ditzy young professor, Birch was a little too curious for his own good, and Rowan intimidated the hell out of everyone. Juniper was sort of just... there.

It was nice that her dad made an appearance and had a part in the story, but really, they should have added more to Juniper than what we got, especially with her being the first female professor.

Years
While it was an interesting change to the norm, I really think that Professor Juniper was just female for the sake of it- which seems a bit brash, but I'll go on. Generally, I can't remember all that much of her character- and I don't mean in the sense that I don't remember enough to analyse things, I mean that there wasn't too much to go on regarding what kind of a character she was. She met the player at various points throughout both games, and was generally helpful (giving the Lucky Egg in BW, and telling an awesome story about Kyurem in BW2), but more or less, nothing in particular stood out about her.

At the very least she can be distinguished from the other professors because she's a.. she, though. The inclusion of her father as a character was also nice- although now I think of it, it's not uncommon for Pokémon games to introduce family members of professors. (With that said.. what was the story with Rowan? Huh!)

Magnetic

Underground Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jan 29, 2018
Equality is the name of the game man! Doesn't matter to me who it is, as long as they're giving me stuff! haha

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Female professor isn't out of the ordinary. After all, the DW has one!

Cyclone

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
I was really glad to see a female professor. It was a nice change and kind of broke the stereotype that only men can be scholars. I also liked how Bianca became her assistant. Girl power! ^.^

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
She was just a generic Oak clone who just happened to be female. At least with the other scientists they were at least unique, but this one was just boring.

Years
To me, Professor Juniper was a little flat. We all know Oak well enough, Elm was sort of the ditzy young professor, Birch was a little too curious for his own good, and Rowan intimidated the hell out of everyone. Juniper was sort of just... there.

^ THIS.
I honestly didn't feel her there at all! her role in the game is very minimum. in the previous games the professor would usually give you some important stuff so you can progress in the game (an HM or some crucial key item for example) but Juniper doesn't offer anything of that sort! she doesn't even update your pokedex, her dad does lol! in addition she doesn't show up after you beat the champion unlike the previous professors....

I like to believe that they noticed this and therefore she's the one to give you that item that increases the appearance of shiny pokemon, but still; very very minor role..

Back