• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sierra's MEGA-HUGE XSE Scripting Tutorial

Rickk12345

Wants to Map and Sprite!!
Years
No, Amap now supports 32mb ROMs, you just need to paste the offset after the two 0s at the beginning.

Thanks for the fast reply, but before I posted I already tried putting the two zeros up front and at the end, it dopesn't work, when I go ingame and try to talk to the dude, nothing happens, no freezes, nog msgbox :(

Years
If your offset is 0x812345 in XSE, in AMap you should put $00812345.
If not, there's a problem with your script, in which case you should post it in the Script Help Thread.

Rickk12345

Years
If your offset is 0x812345 in XSE, in AMap you should put $00812345.
If not, there's a problem with your script, in which case you should post it in the Script Help Thread.

Yes that's how I did it. Problem is not even this works (did the scripting change ?)

Code:
#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
lock
faceplayer
msgbox @1 0x6
release
end

#org @1
= Hi!

Rickk12345

Years
Well the script's fine. Are you sure you set the Unknown of the script to 03 and the Var of the script to 4050?

Well, I didn't do that, because it isn't a script tile, but a sprite tile. You can give a sprite tile a unknown number but you can't give it a var number. So that's probably where it went wrong?

Btw thanks for all your help!!!!

Rickk12345

Years
Hey I have a problem. I can't make text scripts. But when I make a script which moves the player, and then display a message (textbox) only thing that happens, is the moving part. It works smooth and correct, only no message :( Any help?

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Hey I have a problem. I can't make text scripts. But when I make a script which moves the player, and then display a message (textbox) only thing that happens, is the moving part. It works smooth and correct, only no message :( Any help?
We'd like to see your script. That way we can help you more.

How can you find Flags value and know which ones are being used??? is there a tool 4 that???
Just check diegoisawesome's scripting tutorial thread =)
I think it's in XSE but that thread is easier :D

[I]-Hac*ker.

Touko Fan <3
Years
We'd like to see your script. That way we can help you more.

Just check diegoisawesome's scripting tutorial thread =)
I think it's in XSE but that thread is easier :D

Thanks! It's just a simple script like this:

Code:
#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
lock
faceplayer
msgbox @hi 0x6
release
end

#org @hi
= Hi!

And when I made a script with applymovement and a textbox, the applymovement part went great, but still no textbox. I also tried replacing msbox with message, didn't help either. And I also used another ROM: still no luck :(

aperso

Please feel free to VM random fruit types.
Years
Thanks! It's just a simple script like this:

Code:
#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
lock
faceplayer
msgbox @hi 0x6
release
end

#org @hi
= Hi!

And when I made a script with applymovement and a textbox, the applymovement part went great, but still no textbox. I also tried replacing msbox with message, didn't help either. And I also used another ROM: still no luck :(

there should be nothing wrong with that script. must be a bug on the rom

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
It must be ROM because there's really nothing wrong with it...
But there is one thing you can try.
Instead of msgbox @hi 0x6 write this:
Code:
msgbox @hi
callstd 0x6
I know callstd is additional command and it occupies 1 byte more but it might fix your problem.

Mr.Alabas

The Beloved, The Esteemed
Years
Hm. Script Problems.

Okay so I made this script for a character in the protagonist's house at the beginning of the game, but every time I click "New Game" to start the ROM returns to the opening screen. I'm sure that I've done something wrong with the script, but can someone tell me what that might be? Thanks.

Btw, the top script is the one I get when I click VIEW SCRIPT on Advance Map of the character I've inserted. The one I wrote is below it.

'---------------
#org 0x8007E5
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x201
if 0x1 goto 0x8800865
msgbox 0x8800808 0x6 '"Oh, hello there.\pYou must be the ..."
applymovement 0x2 0x880085B
waitmovement 0x0
setflag 0x201
release
end

'---------------
#org 0x800865
release
end

'---------
' Strings
'---------
#org 0x800808
= Oh, hello there.\pYou must be the owner of this house.\n...\pI'll be on my way now.

'-----------
' Movements
'-----------
#org 0x80085B
#raw 0x8 'Step Down (Normal)
#raw 0xB 'Step Right (Normal)
#raw 0x9 'Step Up (Normal)
#raw 0xFE 'End of Movements
#dynamic 0x8007D7
#org @start
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x201
if 0x1 go to @done
msgbox @1 0x6
applymovement 0x02 @move
waitmovement 0x0
release
end

#org @1
= Oh, hello there.\pYou must be the owner of this house.\n...\pI'll be on my way now.

#org @move
#raw 0x08
#raw 0x0B
#raw 0x0B
#raw 0x0B
#raw 0x0B
#raw 0x09
#raw 0x09
#raw 0x09
#raw 0xFE

And, of course, there's a

#org @done
release
end

at the end of both scripts.

Last edited:

[I]-Hac*ker.

Touko Fan <3
Years
Okay so I made this script for a character in the protagonist's house at the beginning of the game, but every time I click "New Game" to start the ROM returns to the opening screen. I'm sure that I've done something wrong with the script, but can someone tell me what that might be? Thanks.

Btw, the top script is the one I get when I click VIEW SCRIPT on Advance Map of the character I've inserted. The one I wrote is below it.

And, of course, there's a

#org @done
release
end

at the end of both scripts.

In my experience, it only works when I'd do this:

Code:
#dynamic 0x8007D7
#org @start
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x201
if [B]0x0[/B] go to [B]@notdone[/B]
release
end

[B]#org @notdone
msgbox @1 0x6
applymovement 0x02 @move
waitmovement 0x0
release
end[/B]

#org @1

#org @move
#raw 0x08
#raw 0x0B
#raw 0x0B
#raw 0x0B
#raw 0x0B
#raw 0x09
#raw 0x09
#raw 0x09
#raw 0xFE

So instead of pointing it to @done (where it won't do anything) when the flag is set, I made it go to notdone when the flag isn't set.
I can't tell you why, but out of personal experience I can say that pointing to somewhere where it doesn't have to do anything, doesn't work (with me). I hope this helped you.

I have got a question myself. Great guide, and good tutorial on Level scripts. But how can I make 2 level scripts in 1 map? I set different variables, but when I put level script 1 at the left of the map, I test it, works fine, and if I would put level script 2 at the right, when I'd test it, on the left (where script 1 would be) it will run script 2. So it overwrites the previous level script on that map, I'm guessing. But I can't believe there can only be one level script on a map... And also, the second script has to be activated after a trainer battle, are the settings the same as when entering a house etc.?
I tried messing around with it, no luck.
How can I implement 2 level scripts in 1 map?

Tranitar

Working on Pokémon Wraith
Years
This is the script i'm trying to get a person to use
#dynamic 0xE3D000

#org @start
lock
faceplayer
msgbox @test
release
end

#org @test
= My tests wont\nwork, if they\lkeep failing i'm\lgoing to eat\ltheir babies.

but whenever i try to talk to them it goes "beep" and ends... so i have do idea whats going on...

[I]-Hac*ker.

Touko Fan <3
Years
This is the script i'm trying to get a person to use
#dynamic 0xE3D000

#org @start
lock
faceplayer
msgbox @test
release
end

#org @test
= My tests wont\nwork, if they\lkeep failing i'm\lgoing to eat\ltheir babies.

but whenever i try to talk to them it goes "beep" and ends... so i have do idea whats going on...
Side Note: it has to be msgbox @test 0x6 (or 0x4)
I had the same problem. You have the wrong version of XSE. Open up XSE, goto help, then info. In the popup window, look to the bottom right, I had v1.0.1 or something, it didn't work. I downloaded v1.1.1 and now it does. So you need to download v1.1.1.
Search this thread, that's where I got the DL link.

Back