• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: Pokémon Black/White mapping engine

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
I've been very fancinated by how 'more' improved the mapping engine really is in Pokémon Black/White. So far what I've noticed just by using the Walk Through Walls code... is the fact that the maps have their boundries. Could the whole mapping engine be based on designing the layout then inserting the movement area? What I've noticed during my research on a Pokémon Black ROM is the fact that every movement area consists of 32x32 blocks. It is quite different from Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum in how every map piece consisted of 24x24 blocks. Something that everyone would possibly like to see ways of knowing how to edit that mapping engine... then maybe one day if a map editor was made for Black/White, then we might see Ruby/Sapphire remakes, eh? So far as what I've noticed when using the walk through walls code... is that the movement permissions that require surf cannot be passed through, I guess the game prompts for the character to use surf in order for the wild Pokémon encounters? In Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver, the wild Pokémon encounters on water were activated via the texture, not the movement permission. And there's layouts of maps that extend out into areas that have no movement area (in other words is an unpassible area). Nobody has managed to go into a Mystery Zone as of yet (not even I can), however I've found the Mystery Zone music for Pokémon Black/White, it sounds exactly the same as Icirrus City. The name "Mystery Zone" is found while using PPTEXT. And there's still many things we yet have to confirm about the mapping engine in Pokémon Black/White.

Remember... "nothing is impossible".

There are things that I don't even know about either... such as the locations of the 3D Model data and the map layout/land data. And prahaps also finding out how the movement of curving around in places such as the Skyarrow Bridge, Castelia City, Village Bridge. I aren't even sure if they are movement permissions. It surely is something we need to research. First off... knowing the location of the land data/map layouts in Pokémon Black/White. Once we learn about them... then we'll have fun messing around with the ROM and changing many portions of it and learning even more stuff about the mapping engine. This will be a brillient step in Pokémon Black/White hacking. After all... research is something that is shared across everyone on the world wide web.

The Author

The Hero of Knothole Glade
Years
There are things that I don't even know about either... such as the locations of the 3D Model data and the map layout/land data. And prahaps also finding out how the movement of curving around in places such as the Skyarrow Bridge, Castelia City, Village Bridge. I aren't even sure if they are movement permissions. It surely is something we need to research. First off... knowing the location of the land data/map layouts in Pokémon Black/White. Once we learn about them... then we'll have fun messing around with the ROM and changing many portions of it and learning even more stuff about the mapping engine. This will be a brillient step in Pokémon Black/White hacking. After all... research is something that is shared across everyone on the world wide web.

Haha. You sound like me. I totally agree with you. Creating a BW map editor would be revolutionary. Some day we'll be editing things like crazy with some DPPtHGSSBW map editor. And then we'll wonder why we didn't figure it out sooner! :D

Years
  • Seen Aug 15, 2020
No wonder game freak takes so long to release games, they are afride of you guys cracking them! You have my full support guys :D

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Hm... it appears the Pokémon Black/White mapping engine uses triangular polygons as well as square ones. In generation 4, it seemed like it could only use square polygons. During my research I zeroed out some of the values.

And so I started off with turning the bytes from 0x2A30 - 0x316C into "00", which then resulted in this:
Spoiler:

But then after I continued to "00" the bytes from 0x316C - 0x331E, this was the result:
Spoiler:

When we discover something new, we always research further into it. ^^

looper

German Hacker
Years
I attached a Screenshot. Don't ask me, how that happened, but it seems that some textures were randomly replaced by rock-textures. That happens in several places, but it looks interesting!

Attachments

• maphack.png
    maphack.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 149

renekokkie

Dragon Trainer
Years
I attached a Screenshot. Don't ask me, how that happened, but it seems that some textures were randomly replaced by rock-textures. That happens in several places, but it looks interesting!

This happens when you use walktrough walls and you will not enter a gate.
so a gate will have something to do with a maplink.
but after I refresh my screen. likes using the bag of the trainercard.
looks everything normal

Back