• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon: Pikachu's Tale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barker

I'm drifting in deep waters..
Years
  • Age 32
  • Utah
  • Seen Dec 31, 2016
Pikachu's Tale

Bringing the Anime to Life... NOT a Yellow Remake... It's...

PT-Logo-VOne.png

Yes, it's a pun. :sleeping:

A Firered Hack by Barker

story.png
We've all played and enjoyed Pokémon Yellow. We loved it. I loved it. Unfortunately, the original game is now nearing a decade old, and in my opinion, deserves the updates the series has offered in the about nine years since it's been released. However, one small problem I had with the original game was that it didn't seem to take the whole "Anime Experience" far enough; sure, it had Team Rocket and Pikachu, but where were the separate story lines I grew to love from the original series?

My idea is a hack that's based more into the anime, essentially a deeper version of Yellow, with the same basic idea. This would be a hack that includes the small things we remember from the our first glimpses of the anime: the Samurai Bug Catcher in Viridian Forest, Mt. Hideaway and the Bulbasaur Garden; it would include the Giant Pokemon and the Spearow from the first episode. Basically, if you can think of it being in the Anime, (And it's not too small/picky), it would be in the game. Each Episode would have at least one individual event dedicated to it in the game. This makes for totally immersible gameplay that I hope will make an impression on any players. Sure, the idea is hardly groundbreaking or unique, but I haven't seen a super focused attempt at something exactly like this.

features.png

• An emphasis on bringing the Anime Story into RPG format, while keeping continuity as high as possible. Obviously, some things will need to be updated, but for the most part, yes, Continuity is the very highest priority. This of course means no D/P Pokemon (lolwat?), no G/S/R/S/E Pokemon (Besides Ho Oh in the first episode, Togepi, whatever) until much later, if at all.
  • The going idea at the moment for Pikachu is to have him perched on your shoulder, and actually happens in the Anime from time to time. If not, a fix would be found, perhaps in the form of simply having Ash carry Pikachu on his back. Something akin to this. (Lovingly dubbed "Backpackachu" by Zel :P)
  • As many of us are jaded of Kanto after R/B/Y/G/G/S/FR/LG, I think it would be entirely necessary to remap the routes and Cities to be bigger, and more accurate to the Anime. Hopefully, this will help to combat the "Been here, done that" attitude some might have. Also included, obviously, would be cities seen in the Anime but not in the Original Kanto Map. This adds a numerous amount of cities/towns to the game.
  • In all, the main attraction of the hack won't be amazing graphics, or a custom region. It will be, of course, the Events and continuity I hope to offer. A hack with great events beats a hack with great graphics every time, in my eyes.
progress.png

As of February 22, 2009, the project is dead. Anyone interested in taking over the project can PM Woofer. It must be noted, however, that Woofer still wishes to be a part of the hack.
media.png
Media, as it turned out, was limited to just a few maps. These screenshots constitute the entire progress of Pikachu's Tale, from it's start in March 2008 to it's death in February 2009.

Pallet Town (32kb)

Route One (37kb)
Route One and Event/Comparison (148kb)

Viridan City (34kb)
(Wow, I just noticed a huge error here, too.)

Full Map (Pallet Town, Route One, and Viridian City) (106kb)

Support:

pikataleunderbannertranxk9.png

Thanks to Blue Pikachu!
Code:
[URL]http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/9681/pikataleunderbannertranxk9.png[/URL]
30kadxj.jpg

Thanks to Islander Jon!
Code:
[URL="http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/9681/pikataleunderbannertranxk9.png"]http://i26.tinypic.com/30kadxj.jpg[/URL]
2uh2006.jpg

Thanks to Islander Jon!
Code:
http://i28.tinypic.com/2uh2006.jpg

Last edited:

Binary

え?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
Wow, I love your idea, its fantastic.
I'd love to help you in any way possible.

Barker

Years
  • Age 32
  • Utah
  • Seen Dec 31, 2016
Thanks Celebi, PH.

atoms, if it was "given" to Ash in the Anime, it will be "given" to him in the game, yes. However, you have to remember that he was never really just given anything outright. He had to, for example, earn the Bulbasaur's trust, save Misty from the Squirtle Squad, and get the Charmander to realize his original trainer was a douche. It'll be this way in the game too.

Sarcastic Prince

Starting anew...
Years
I know in Anime that Bubasaur, Charmander and Squirtle doesn't evolve, but it will be
boring if you don't let them evolve.(And, yes, I watched Anime A LOT. I'm still watching them now.)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 19, 2021
Actually, ur wrong abour charmander.
Ash gets a charizard in the fossil episode.

Barker

Years
  • Age 32
  • Utah
  • Seen Dec 31, 2016
I know in Anime that Bubasaur, Charmander and Squirtle doesn't evolve, but it will be
boring if you don't let them evolve.(And, yes, I watched Anime A LOT. I'm still watching them now.)
Yeah, that would obviously be an exception to the continuity thing.

I also can't force the player to catch a specific Pokemon either or have it with him at a certain time, which would be another difference, as far as "Metapod, use Harden to kill his Pinsur!" and things like that go. tl;dr: Variables will force me to deviate a little from the actual story, though nothing major will change.

And shiny, Ash's Charmander was gotten from a bad trainer. This Charmander evolved into Charmeleon, and then into Charizard, in the episode you mentioned.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
yeah probably.
the old anime was much better.
Topic:i'm guessing your pikachu can't evolve into raichu.
but one thing...
how will you make it impossible to release your pikachu?
If you release it,the characters will be wondering why a pikachu is still on your back.

Antwhan

setting up for the big beta
Years
well i guess then it would be a pikachu backpack? personally, i dont know who would release their starter but it's a good form of critism. anyway. yellow remakes/expansions require a bit of diligence and devotion more than most other games. if only because it shud be true to the anime, best of luck to ya mate.

would liek to see more of this

Barker

Years
  • Age 32
  • Utah
  • Seen Dec 31, 2016
yeah probably.
the old anime was much better.
Topic:i'm guessing your pikachu can't evolve into raichu.
but one thing...
how will you make it impossible to release your pikachu?
If you release it,the characters will be wondering why a pikachu is still on your back.
Well, there's that problem, and what happens if you just don't have Pikachu in your party.

For now, I'll just have to assume that the player will not release the Pikachu and will always have it with him, which is the entire point of playing the "anime" story. If the player doesn't want to use the Pikachu, as he is "supposed" to do, dealing with the now-unrealistic sprite is his problem, not mine.

well i guess then it would be a pikachu backpack? personally, i dont know who would release their starter but it's a good form of critism. anyway. yellow remakes/expansions require a bit of diligence and devotion more than most other games. if only because it shud be true to the anime, best of luck to ya mate.

would liek to see more of this
Haha, not necessarily. I can think of "a few" times in the anime where Pikachu travels on Ash. This is just a way for the whole "Pikachu follows you" thing to work; it's a sloppy fix, but it is indeed a fix.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks man.

~Red

Meh. Hate me if you will.
Years
What about when you start the game? Will pikachu be already on your back?

Barker

Years
  • Age 32
  • Utah
  • Seen Dec 31, 2016
What about when you start the game? Will pikachu be already on your back?
Yeah. My hope is that people won't freak out over a minute or two of "WHY DO I HAVE PIKACHU ALREADY?".

If this sprite thing is going to be a problem, maybe we can just forget having Pikachu in the OW.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
why not just make a backpack that pikachu supposedly rides in?
The pikachu head sticks out of the backpack but before you get the pikachu,its just an ordinary doll.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 19, 2021
May be u could use the D/P pikachu that thethethethe used.
They gave it a fast-walking OW too, for when u run.

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
Years
eah, I think you can like... edit it and also be able to have you and Pikachuu follows you..... I'll show you in a sec.

zel 2.0

Gold Remaker
Years
Well, we know that people can get a bit exigent about the "Pikachu following you", which is something that always makes most Yellow remakes fail at the end. Dont let that drive you crazy, because I guess the only solution is to make it part of the overworld as you planned. Although I wouldnt put Pikachu on Ash's back, but on his shoulder (at least I think most of the time Pika is there)
Putting Pikachu behind always has the problem of certain tiles being in the way of Pikachu, dont forget that.

Barker

Years
  • Age 32
  • Utah
  • Seen Dec 31, 2016
makunouchi - That could work, though what I have "planned" now is basically that, only defiently not a backpack.

shinypkmnfan13 - The spritesheet in the Resources thread? I used that, and Shooped some mock-ups. This is the best idea I could get out of it, since I can't individually script a Pikachu sprite to follow.

~KiTsUnE - I'm actually interested in this. Let's see..

zel - <insert funny looking award here> Yeah, I noticed that, and I plan to keep a level head about it. I can see how annoying it can be though. The thing is, we have to think of a clever workaround when hacking to remake, such as your Phonebooth idea to replace the Pokegear. Genius.

Oh, and I want to be clear about this while this is still in the scrapbox stages, this isn't a Yellow Remake. At all. Same concept, but my planned project is far from a remake.

Going on.. Haha, yeah, I always thought of him as more of a shoulder rider, but when I put the sprite together in Photoshop, just to see, Pikachu on one side of the shoulder didn't look right. If I found a smaller sprite (Or, gasp, tried to do my own :cheeky:), maybe, but for now, we get to deal with the "Pika-Backpack". (It sounds so stupid to me, but at the same time, a little lulsworthy. :P)

Anyway, thanks fellas. You're making me think before I act.

/Circa

a face in the clouds.
Years
It's nice too see someone using my rombase :). (looking at your avatar)
I'm looking forward to this, the feature that caught my eyes was the towns being remapped, maybe you'll make them more realistic? Like larger and more adventerous? I'm thinking cities will have more houses, even if you cant get in them.

I'm thinking of updating that rombase soon. So maybe you'll be interested? :).
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back