• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Competitive Team Questions (and Incomplete Team Help)

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 7, 2013
EV Training my team

Hey everyone!
I've been a long-time lover of Pokémon, but this is my first time getting serious about competitive battling, and I'd like some advice on how best to EV train my new team.

Here's the team as it stands. I've bred them all so they're at level 1, but I'll denote them as their final evolutions:

Arcanine:
Nature - jolly
Ability - intimidate

Kingdra:
Nature - Modest
Ability - Sniper

Salamence:
Nature - Careful
Ability - Intimidate

Tyranitar:
Nature - Adamant
Ability - Sand stream

Lucario:
Nature - Adamant
Ability - Inner Focus

Magnezone:
Nature - Modest
Ability - Sturdy/Magnet pull

I'm pretty new to the whole competitive terminology thing, so if you guys could give me some suggestions as to what role each of these should play in my team, that'd be great. I think Kingdra should be a DD'er, but that's about all. Which one should be my wall? And which for a sweeper? Stuff like that would be great.
Then if you can give me some ideas as to where I should place my EV points for each of them, I'd be very grateful. I was planning on spreading them pretty evenly for each of them, buffing up defences if weak and then focussing on attack for something like Tyranitar... Dunno.

Thanks for your time and help guys!

Morph x

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
To let you know, we can't really build your Pokémon's movesets for you; a good place to search would be Smogon.

Arcanine is best off being Adamant, since 95 Speed may not really cut it at times and it would be outsped by a lot of stuff even if Jolly:
-Flare Blitz
-ExtremeSpeed
-Wild Charge/Crunch
-Close Combat/Morning Sun
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 72 HP/252 Atk/4 SDef/176 Spe
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire/Intimidate

Kingdra is better off with Swift Swim to help it check opposing rain teams, which are common nowadays (not so sure about Wi-Fi matches having loads of rain teams, but I think they do). It can also do physical sets to good effect.:
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Outrage
-Substitute
EVs: 40 HP/228 Atk/12 Def/228 Spe
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Swift Swim

or
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Outrage
-Rest
EVs: 152 HP/96 Atk/32 SDef/228 Spe
Item: Chesto Berry

or
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-Waterfall/Hydro Pump
-Hidden Power (Fire)/Draco Meteor
Nature: Naughty/Lonely
EVs: 136 Atk/136 SAtk/236 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry

But since Kingdra's offensive stats are rather average, and you're not guaranteed to face Rain teams, Hydreigon is a better special attacker:
-Draco Meteor
-Fire Blast
-Superpower
-Roost/Dark Pulse/Earthquake/Earth Power
Nature: Mild/Rash
EVs: 4 Atk/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Expert Belt

or
-Substitute
-Dragon Pulse
-Focus Blast
-Fire Blast/Roost
Nature: Modest
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb

or
-Draco Meteor
-Fire Blast
-Focus Blast
-U-turn/Dark Pulse
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Specs

A Careful nature on Salamence? Don't bother with that nature. Salamence's stats are leaning towards offensive sets, and it should be Adamant/Jolly (or somewhere on those lines):
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage/Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Fire Blast/Roost
Nature: Naughty/Naive/Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry

or
-Outrage
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Fire Blast/Aqua Tail
Nature: Naive/Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie

or
-Draco Meteor
-Outrage
-Fire Blast
-Earthquake
Nature: Naive
EVs: 64 Atk/192 SAtk/252 Spe

Tyranitar is better off on dedicated sandstorm teams or anti-weather teams, and this team doesn't seem like one. Ferrothorn or Forretress are better walls to use here and the latter has Rapid Spin to take care of Arcanine's and Salamence's Stealth Rock weakness:

Ferrothorn:
-Spikes/Stealth Rock
-Leech Seed
-Power Whip
-Gyro Ball/Protect/Thunder Wave
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef
Item: Leftovers/Shed Shell

Forretress:
-Spikes/Stealth Rock/Toxic Spikes
-Rapid Spin
-Volt Switch
-Gyro Ball/Hidden Power (Ice)
Nature: Relaxed/Bold
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef

Lucario's set should be:
-Swords Dance
-Close Combat
-ExtremeSpeed
-Crunch/Shadow Claw/Ice Punch/Bullet Punch
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe

Magnezone's main gimmick is Magnet Pull. Don't bother with Sturdy (even though it's a good ability itself):
-Thunderbolt
-Volt Switch
-Flash Cannon
-Hidden Power (Fire/Ice)
EVs: 172 HP/252 SAtk/84 Spe
Item: Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull

or
-Substitute
-Thunderbolt
-Flash Cannon
-Hidden Power (Fire/Ice)
Nature: Timid
EVs: 36 HP/252 SAtk/220 Spe

or
-Substitute
-Charge Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Flash Cannon/Hidden Power (Ice/Fire)
EVs: 172 HP/252 SAtk/88 Spe

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
While I dont normally disagree with you PD. I think Sturdy should be used for its ability. For the simple fact if you get hit with Mean Look type of move or simply you are about to be One hit KOed. at least you can get one good shot in before it faints. I dk how many times Ive pulled out a win with just that ability alone.

Thats just my thought but feel free to do what ever youd like :)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
should I consider mamoswine for my team?

c/ping to make it easier,

1.blaziken

2.swampert

3.alakazam

4.dusknoir

5.hydregion

6.?

From looking at your team posted in NU/W (which isn't meant to go there as you now probably know!) I'd say no. You have Swampert for ground + SR, Hydreigon can hit Dragon types which ice would cover, Grass is covered by Blaziken, and flying types shouldn't really pose an issue to you. However, keep in mind that if you want to play online competitive with simulators, Blaziken is in Ubers, therefore can't be used in most play, and Dusknoir doesn't really sit well in OverUsed, the most common tier unfortunately (and the same would apply in-game, in fact, Cresselia is seen as a better wall competitively and is used on the in-game scene anyway from what I've heard). So to Mamoswine, not really, it's pretty much covered.

Years
  • Seen May 29, 2013
I'm looking for some good movesets for a weather team that consists of, Roserade, Froslass, Weavile. I also have Gallade as a back up for psychic moves. Any suggests?:cool:

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
I'm looking for some good movesets for a weather team that consists of, Roserade, Froslass, Weavile. I also have Gallade as a back up for psychic moves. Any suggests?:cool:

You'd have to tell us what weather you're going to utilize, whether it be sun, rain, hail, or sandstorm. I don't think you have a weather-inducer yet, so I suggest figuring that out should be your primary objective after you've decided what weather to workaround with.

Years
  • Seen Oct 19, 2015
Help with my team?

So,this is my 1st time here.I hope the community is not the typical 'IF U DON PLAY META U VIRGINZ' guys,cause that sucks.

Anyways,I loved pokemon since I was a kid but just got into them more seriously.

So so far I am using the following team

Arcanine (physical sweeper?)
Rhyperior (physical wall?)
Electavile (special sweeper?)
---------
And the following pokemon I use but do not really like
Dragonite
Slowking
Gengar

I also like the desgin of staraptor but I dont know what his role is.

The team is going to be somewhat competitive but not in a meta level.

Wielie

Die Deutschtrainer
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2013
Which move do I pick?

Alright, so I'm trying to decide on something, and I need something that will let me input the move's type, power, and the stat behind it independently so that I can determine whether I should go with Ice type Hidden Power, or Ice Punch.

If there is nothing, then I need help deciding from you.

Ice Punch with 294 Atk behind it (Base 75 power)

or

Ice Type Hidden Power with 326 SpA behind it (Base 70 power)

I'm thinking Hidden Power, but I'm not entirely sure.

Wielie

Die Deutschtrainer
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2013
Quagsire and/or Gastrodon will eat that team alive, especially Gastrodon equiped with ice beam, of which there are plenty.

I suggest using a mixed wall, like Cresselia or since you don't really seem to be into legendaries, maybe Glaceon.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Alright, so I'm trying to decide on something, and I need something that will let me input the move's type, power, and the stat behind it independently so that I can determine whether I should go with Ice type Hidden Power, or Ice Punch.

If there is nothing, then I need help deciding from you.

Ice Punch with 294 Atk behind it (Base 75 power)

or

Ice Type Hidden Power with 326 SpA behind it (Base 70 power)

I'm thinking Hidden Power, but I'm not entirely sure.

It also depends upon what Pokemon it is and what nature it is. Some Pokemon are fine mixed, however from the looks of it you're better off with HP Ice, given that I'm assuming you have a +sPA nature, or a higher sPA IV, or the fact that the Pokemon has higher sPA overall.

Sooo what Pokemon/nature is it?

Wielie

Die Deutschtrainer
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2013
It also depends upon what Pokemon it is and what nature it is. Some Pokemon are fine mixed, however from the looks of it you're better off with HP Ice, given that I'm assuming you have a +sPA nature, or a higher sPA IV, or the fact that the Pokemon has higher sPA overall.

Sooo what Pokemon/nature is it?

Serious/Modest Azelf. I have both, and the Modest one has the right IVs for HP Ice.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Serious/Modest Azelf. I have both, and the Modest one has the right IVs for HP Ice.

Okay, definitely go for HP Ice then. :) You'll have a higher sPA overall in comparison to the base power of Ice Punch which is lowered by the Modest nature!

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
is there any mixed wall water type to take place of slowking?
If you're playing RU, Slowking is one of the best walls there is. I see no reason of replacing it unless you have a terrible grass/electric weakness. There's not much mixed-walls in RU, Quagsire is more-often than not physically-defensive.

Years
Poliwrath. Best cb escavalier check and cb entei check, as well as being able to check a lot of other things(absol, aggron, offensive cryogonal etc), but it cannot check moltres(number one used fire type iirc) because of stab airslash/hurricane. If you're going to use Poliwrath as your water type "mixed wall", your team is going to have a lot of trouble against the ever so popular moltres. 

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Can a sub par speed IV be made up? Like being able to compensate for a sub par IV. I have this Deino thats speed IV is 15 but its IV on HP is 31 and Sp. Atk is 26( which isnt the greatest I know).

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Can a sub par speed IV be made up? Like being able to compensate for a sub par IV. I have this Deino thats speed IV is 15 but its IV on HP is 31 and Sp. Atk is 26( which isnt the greatest I know).

Not really unless you EV train it to its full capacity and give it a Choice Scarf, otherwise you're better off getting a new one, even still, things will outspeed you more that wouldn't if you had higher IVs and such. Anything above 25-ish IVs in the desired stat should be around good enough for competitive play if you can't RNG (although 30-31 is preferred), while 15 would be okay for in-game.

Back