• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Promoting Bullfighting..?

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
The Spanish government is currently considering passing a law which would protect and promote bullfighting, an outdated spectacle which causes extreme suffering and a slow and tortuous death for the bulls used.
The majority of Spanish citizens don't support bullfighting. Nor do they want their taxes spent protecting it.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you enjoy watching bull fighting yourself? Do you support it or you absolutely despise the idea?

Every opinion is welcome, especially the ones of Tauros & Bouffalant, if you guys are reading this.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
Dogfighting happens regardless of whether it is legal or illegal. I don't know how I feel about this, but perhaps by legalizing it, they can at least regulate it to make it less akin to torture and more akin to the kind of fighting dogs and wolves do naturally amongst themselves.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
No. No kind of animal cruelty should be promoted or encouraged. Its cruelty to animals plain and simple, I think that's wrong.

Rain Dancer

Wanderer
Years
Dogfighting happens regardless of whether it is legal or illegal. I don't know how I feel about this, but perhaps by legalizing it, they can at least regulate it to make it less akin to torture and more akin to the kind of fighting dogs and wolves do naturally amongst themselves.
No, it's not dogs, this is what was meant:

Spains-Catalonia-bids-farewell-to-bullfighting-O5DQU3F-x-large.jpg

It's pretty sad, cowardly and unfair, really, when they stick those blood-sucking stick artifacts on the bull's backs, just so they can get slow and bleed to death.

Talk about unessesary and cruel. :\

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
The conservative media sees bullfighting as a tradition that "reflects the spirit of Spain" and thus banning it would be akin to banning bagguettes in France, pizza in Italy or rain in the UK. In fact, one of the worst conservative media around here (think anything from Rupert Murdoch) has a bull as a logo. It got worse when the State of Catalonia did ban bullfighting within their borders as a form of "animal torture", which spurred even moderate conservative media to headline "Animals win" next to a picture of the Governor and the leaders of the two other parties who supported the law- subtlety.

So when the conservatives won the 2011 election, the pro-bullfighting loby (mostly bullfighters and bull stock breeders) pushed for a federal law promoting and protecting it in the hopes that it would override the Catalan law- and that's where we are.

But bullfighting is not popular anymore- the number of events has been cut in half in the last 5 years (2000 to 1000), the assistence is barely 3,000 people per event (contrast: 30,000 average for football) and, in general, they depend on Government funds to survive. That's why they hope that making it a "protetcted cultural event" will help promote it- otherwise it will continue fading away until it's rightly gone.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
My father tells me that the Bull is slaughtered after the fight (unless it beat the man) so that it doesn't run mad and stuff. It's an extreme psychological damage on the Bull, not to mention rage. I don't think it's anything nice and protective.

Years
Normally I would support this "cultural protection" because kosher and halal are pretty scary too. But since it's dying anyways and it needs government help to survive, it can go on its way.

Back