• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: EVAN PETERS HAVE MY BABIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I really, really liked it. A lot more than I was expecting. It doesn't look as nice as other Ghibli films, and I didn't realise it was essentially a teen-melodrama until halfway in, but I felt most of the emotion that it was trying to go for. I get what you mean about the story: there seemed to be a lot of plot, but that was an interesting development and I think it was mostly pulled off. Indeed, Miyazaki Sr's involvement in the screenplay is probably the biggest evidence of this. AND THEN THE MUSIC! OMG I really, really loved the score for this film. I do love Joe Hisaishi, but Satoshi Takebe did a really great job with it. So... yeah. It wasn't anything like I was expecting, but I ended up really enjoying myself. :D

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Scarfy I'm sorry to trample on your topic here, but I really have no idea what you're talking about and I have some serious lols for you guys:

James Cameron said:
I'm not interested in developing anything. I'm in the Avatar business. Period. That's it. I'm making Avatar, Avatar 2, Avatar 3, maybe Avatar 4.

He's in the Avatar business. Period. That's it. Full article here.

It is the most hilarious thing I think I've read all week - I don't think anybody's taken him aside and broken the news that Avatar really wasn't that good.

Years
You... you trampler, you! I was talking about books.

Yeah, but he said business. Avatar made a mountain of money. It doesn't have to be good as long as people will still give him handful's of cash.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
See, I'll do you guys one better and respond to both on-going topics. Like a good mod!

Scarfy: My relationship with 1Q84 is really mercurial. I liked the first book, for the most part. The second book got bogged down in lots of graphic sexual politics, but was still readable. The third book, however, I couldn't finish. I got about five chapters in and just put it down, never to pick it up again so far. In the future I'll probably read it, just to say I've finished it... but, to me, the worst parts of it become more prevalent as the book goes along. Sorry to say, as I normally love Murakami.

Andrew: Avatar wasn't that good at being a subtle film, but it was good at raking craploads of cash in at the box office. While I don't think he'll get to Avatar 4 - diminishing returns and whatnot - I have optimistic hopes for Avatar 2. Cameron's sequels always tend to be better than the original films - Aliens, Terminator 2: Judgment Day - and I hope that streak continues with this.

Shining Raichu

Years
The thing about Avatar though, was that it was spellbinding while you watched it and then you left the cinema thinking "OMFG THAT WAS AWESOME" but the more time you spend away from it, the more the pronounced the flaws become. There was not one character in the entire film who was not a walking 2D cliché. And as more people have started mentioning this, the news spread like wildfire that it really wasn't all that good after all.

Then everybody stopped caring. There was a huge buzz for it, then as quickly as it came, it left. I know I don't give a crap about Avatar anymore, and taking five years to come out with Avatar 2 is only likely to make people care less and less. Strike while the iron's hot and all that.

I honestly don't think Avatar 2 will be half as successful as the first was lol.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
I think the Avatar 2 would rake in about $200 million from the people who just want to see it to compare to the first film or watch it just out of curiosity, but not much more. Hell, it'd be likely to rake in less than what I expect, unless James Cameron manages to do what he's done before and pull a magically great sequel out of his arse. Otherwise, I hope he gets struck down by lightning or something before he can unleash this cataclysm upon cinema.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
I'm looking forward for seeing that, looks more interesting than a lot of Ghibli films if I'm being honest. Will certainly watch that in the near future.

As for Akira I only watched that for the first time last week, it felt somewhat rushed to me but it was still a really enjoyable couple of hours. If you're like me you'll be giving that manga a download as soon as you get in.

Years
I wouldn't mind an Avatar 2 if he let someone else write the script for it. Someone with talent. There's something kind of unforgivable about making a sequel to movie with a glaring flaw and not addressing that in the next installation.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I understand what you mean about the manga. The guy sitting next to me in the cinema said that it was twice as long as the film (and also wished that there'd be a sequel made... a guy can dream, at least)! But... yeah. I really, really liked it. The beginning especially: those first ten minutes were pretty much perfect. The ending got a bit drowned in all of the spectacle that was going on, but it was still a really, really good film that deserves its reputation.

One thing, though: was it just me or do all of the main characters look exactly the same? By that I mean Kaneda, Tetsuo, Kei and... well, Akira. I dunno if this was intentional or just a happy coincidence - or whether I'm just imagining things - but it'd be interesting if other people felt the same way! :D

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
They certainly did look alike, I don't think there was any 2deep4u reason for it I just presumed it was what the mangaka wanted. Character designs really fit the story really quite well so I have no complaints.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
Already found the basis for an Avatar 2 script.
220px-PIIJTANW.jpg

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I have no complaints about it, but I was a little confused when Kaneda got introduced to Kei. I thought he'd found his long-lost twin or something... and then when he started hitting on her, it all started to make sense! :D

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
How long will it be until Hollywood announces a movie sequel after this book comes out (assuming it's great)? 0.3 milliseconds? 0.4?

Shining Raichu

Years
No! Why would that be a bad thing? The movie was fantastic! This is one of those rare cases where I found the movie was better than the book, but that's only because the ending in the book was less satisfying than the ending in the movie. But now that there's a sequel that entire point is moot, because it means that wasn't the end after all!

Years
That movie had no substance. Rather like the fashion industry, but even if that was done on purpose it doesn't make the movie any better. Zoolander is a better movie about the ridiculousness of the fashion world.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
There are surprisingly few Blue Steel gifs on Google Images. This was the best I could find at short notice:

blue-steel.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back