• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: How did you discover Rom Hacking?

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
How did you discover Rom Hacking?

I discovered Rom Hacking when I was on youtube. I discovered a few Pokemon hacks, and I was interested, so I googled "Pokemon hacks". I found WAH and downloaded Pokemon Naranja there. Then I discovered PC.

So how did you discover hacking?

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
I remember being on another Pokemon forum that didn't allow the discussion of ROM hacking. At that time I didn't know that it meant making your own game, instead I thought it was solely based around making codes for the games such as allowing the player to walk through walls, get x99 Master Balls etc. One day I got bored so I decided to investigate and see if my suspicions were correct, only to find PC and the ROM Hacking section. From then on, I was hooked :3

That is my grand epic of tragedy and woe.

Last edited:

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
I stumbled upon some German site with a bunch of EliteMaps tools for download, and then I lost all of those, and when trying to find the site again, I found this forum.

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
I stumbled upon ROM hacking when I was an immature, worthless idiot. A petulant child. I grew to appreciate it -- indeed, my aspirations at the time were to become a game programmer -- but my naivety and stupidity got me banned from the relevant forum before I could learn anything interesting. At around the same time, I learned of the... illegitimacy... of the design medium, and that -- given my naivety at the time -- frightened me out of my mind.

Many years later, I decided to try and research glitch Pokemon in Pokemon Red, back when I actually cared about places like Wikia's PokeWiki. ROMs seemed well-suited for the purpose, so I downloaded them and -- just for the heck of it -- several modding tools as well. I quickly grew bored of my investigations, however, and stopped. I'd barely even touched the hacking tools.

Many, many months later -- about two and a half weeks ago, could be more (my memory has no sense of time) -- I decided to try out hacking again, seeing as I had plenty of ROMs, numerous tools well-suited for the purpose, and a large amount of boredom. My favourite kind of design is environment design, so I started in AMap. Google brought me here; I used this site mostly for documentation for a week or two, and I eventually created an account so that I could download tools more easily. I quickly graduated into scripting with XSE, and I've dabbled in more advanced fields as well. Here I am, weeks later, still hacking and still enjoying it. We'll see how long that lasts.

ZxC Mirai

Huh?
Years
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

I discovered rom hacking when i am Watching how to make a Cheat in GBA

but suddenly i found the "Pokemon Hacking Part 1"
then i found WAH..

when i was Searching tools...it always show PC....but i dont mind it..becuz i though it was just a Forum...

then my Hacking adventure BEGINS!

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
This guy on Youtube was playing Bloody Platinum, so I searched it and it eventually led me here for GBA ROM hacks.

Fire Blazer

Gomu Gomu no...
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2011
Let's see... uh, hmm... Well, I'm not a huge Pokemon hacker like the rest of you, so my story's very different... I was on a forum called GameTalk I believe and one way or another that led to me being introduced to "Nightmare Modules", a way to edit stats and such in the strategy RPG Fire Emblem... that led to me wanting to do more and more and create my own story/game, and I eventually wanted to do things people hadn't done, leading me to delve more and more into hacking,

until I became the hopeless hacker who feels like he'll never finish his hacks that I am now >_>

Years
  • Seen Aug 5, 2013
My friend and I were on youtube one day, and stumbled upon some videos displaying pokemon hacks. I'm a computer nerd type of guy, so my friend told me that it would be cool if I could do stuff like this. Then, I said that I would look into it, and look where I am now! Haha

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
Two or so years ago, me and PwnageMew were trying to figure out how to make Pokemon games. I found a site that advertised tools for making Pokemon games, and discovered AdvanceMap. From then, I discovered more. :)

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Well if you could say... my grand adventure of ROM Hacking began back in late 2007. So you'd wonder to yourself "how'd I discover it in the first place?". It all started back when I was basically watching YouTube videos of gameplay on some video games that I have never played before, apart from also watching some of the Australian TV identifications, since I'm dignosed with autism... and you could probably say it was very high back then, I was an immature sort of person who couldn't understand how to get along with others. During the time I was watching video games... I gradually came across Pokémon ShinyGold, I have trouble remembering exactly how I did or anything like that, but I then learned that downloading the ROM and of course downloading the Emulator was how I managed to be able to play it. But I didn't play ShinyGold for very long though, since I very soon discovered the tools to edit the maps, which was none other than... yep you guessed it, AdvanceMap! When I downloaded AdvanceMap... it was the version earlier than 1.90, I started to play around with this ROM hacking tool editing the maps on Pokémon ShinyGold... the good old FireRed ROM hack. I messed around with it such as fixing the map and making the map bigger than it was, to suit the style of mapping in how FireRed and LeafGreen was done, like 3-square pathways instead of being exactly like Gold/Silver. I did those experiments with ShinyGold and that's pretty much how it started. Then I later on discovered other ROM hacking tools, but the problem was... that I had to be a registered user in order to download the tools. So PC was indeed my first ever website that I created an account on, but knowing back then... I was very much the sort that would avoid creating an account on a website/forum. So when I did... I got more into ROM hacking and I did even more simple experiments on ShinyGold with the tools. Then on April 1st 2008, I noticed how everyone was made to look like staff for April Fools Day. I was yet outstanded... but I noticed how that badge didn't appear until posted in that celebration thread, yet before I knew it... there was a user that spammed saying "I like this alot" several times in a post, something like that anyways. And of course... the user was indeed breaking the innapropiate content rule in his signature and knowing me back then... I was kinda a mini-mod in how I posted stating that I was reporting the user and all that, then a few minutes later... the user was banned, and I gradually started to post more in the thread. My username back then was indeed "PokémonShinySilver", and I had an avatar of that DS Pokémon silver remake box, that I assume was fanmade. Then later on in April 2008, someone posted in my visitor messages. I remember back when I first created my account... there was no visitor messages back then. That someone who posted in my visitor messages... was none other than my first ever friend on the internet that I got along with on PC, his name's Kyle and his username was chimchar 9, which it is today. Though there was times when we both changed our usernames and all that, I still remember when I changed it to "Silver Riolu" then "Platinum Lucario", we were both into ROM hacking and that was how I also started looking into other things and meeting new friends. Over the years... I matured and got more into doing DS ROM hacking and seeing ways of editing the ROMs. And today... some of my memories of ROM hacking might've rusted away a bit since I went onto a chat site called xat.com. But I did return again and now I'm back into wanting to learn to ROM hack more on the DS and on the GBA. And that's pretty much how my history of how I discovered ROM hacking was like, it just felt like a brand new adventure which it just feels the same way for researching the Nintendo DS ROMs.

~Davin (aka Platinum Lucario)

Jacob .F.

rookie hacker
Years
my pokemon ruby (gba) broke and i wanted to find out if there was a way to fix it and instead of a fix i found out about vba and eventually rom hacking. i still miss my lv. 83 blaziken though.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I was bored with original games since I've beaten all of them so I was trying to find new challenge and then I found some old good hacked ROMs and that was the first step I took in the path of ROM hacking =D

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
Well, it began when I wanted to start playing Pokémon on my computer, and I found VBA and Pokémon Crystal. Then I discovered the built-in GSA/CB in VBA, and really got engrossed in cheating. However, what those simplistic codes were doing for me wasn't enough; I eventually discovered a way to edit the game permanently, and that my friend, was Advance Map 1.92. Nowadays, I'm working on an unreleased and nameless Pokémon Emerald hack, and my skill is proving valuable too!

Truality

Left for good
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 17, 2013
Simply put, I played Shiny Gold. I was so amazed that when I finished playing it, I instantly started searching for its base site and find information about how I could make a similar pokemon game based on Fire Red, and so here I am.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2011
I remember looking for a video on Youtube about Pokemon Ruby, and in the related videos I saw a Ruby Destiny video. So after watching it I looked it up and eventually found out about other Pokehacks.

The Corrupt Plague

Missingno. hunter
Years
I watched some random video of Quartz on Youtube many years ago and thought it was really cool that people were able to make custom Pokemon games.

Tcoppy

Favorite Stand
Years
I was around ten years old and I started spriteing a year before,anyway I was on youtube and I looked up pokemon sprites to see other peoples work and be like them,and I clicked different videos after and I found this video of pokemon chaos black,and I wondered how people can make hacks and stuff so I found out how and that day I found out how to make my own version of a game I will keep in a special memory forever.:)

Melloeta_Step

I love Fat and Cute Pokemon.
Years
After i learned how to patch games. I searched "Pokemon Ruby Destiny" and saw this site and i signed up..

Back