• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I need some "constructive" criticism.

xXCoach LazyXx

Coach needs Coaching
Years
So I want to start competitive battling soon and I want someone to rate my team.If a pokemon doesn't fit well with the rest of my team tell me what would best suit it.Tell me what role each should play.Also tell me if I should replace a move.I want to use mostly UU's and like 10% OU's.
The pokemon I want to use are:

Samurott
Adamant nature
Life Orb
Torrent
EVs 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Speed
Swords Dance, Waterfall, Megahorn, Aqua Jet

Jellicent
Bold nature
Leftovers
Water Absorb
EVs 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Speed
Surf, Will-O-Wisp, Recover, Taunt

Typhlosion
Timid nature
Heat Rock
Blaze
EVs 252 Sp. Atk / 4 Sp. Def / 252 Speed
Sunny Day, Fire Blast, SolarBeam, Focus Blast

Tyranitar
Jolly nature
Choice Scarf
Sand Stream
EVs 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
Substitute, Focus Punch, Superpower, Pursuit

Exeggutor
Bold Nature
Sitrus Berry
Harvest
EVs 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 Speed
Substitute, Leech Seed, Psychic, HP Fire

Cryogonal
Calm Nature
Leftovers
Levitate
EVs 252 HP / 6 Def / 252 Speed
Light Screen, Recover, Ice Beam, Rapid Spin

I'd appreciate the advice.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
I know i'm basically telling you to do all the work
Yeah, we don't allow that here, but it's not a big deal. All you have to do is find your preferred movesets on Smogon, change them to your liking, and post your team. After that, there will be enough substance for raters to improve on. If you have any minor questions regarding team help, you may ask in the Simple Q&A Thread. I'll leave this thread open, so you can edit your thread with your movesets.

Years
So I want to start competitive battling soon and I want someone to rate my team before I start investing time trying to catch and raise the perfect one.I don't want to use hacks of any sort just in case I want to enter a competition in the future.I want some suggestions on which pokemon should learn which moves.If a pokemon doesn't fit well with the rest of my team tell me what I should replace it with.Tell me what nature I should go for and which stats I should EV train it in.Also tell me what role each should play.
The pokemon I want to use are:
Samurott
Jellicent
Cryogonal
Typhlosion
Exeggutor
Tyranitar

I know i'm basically telling you to do all the work but it's my first competitive team.I'd appreciate the advice.

Well, I can give you some good movesets for your team courtesy of Smogon!

503.gif

Adamant nature
Life Orb / Leftovers
Torrent
EVs 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Speed
Swords Dance, Waterfall, Megahorn, Aqua Jet

Samurott abuses Swords Dance really well so that's why I chose this for you. Its pure Water typing gives only 2 weaknesses and it has good bulky stats. Megahorn is a good counter for most Grass-types as well as giving you an edge on Dark and Psychic-types, Waterfall for a strong solid attack and Aqua Jet to bypass that near-mediocre Speed stat. Aqua Jet will hit hard with a Swords Dance boost and Torrent active. You can try Aqua Tail but Waterfall is more reliable.

593.gif

Bold nature
Leftovers
Water Absorb
EVs 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Speed
Scald or Surf, Will-O-Wisp or Toxic, Recover, Taunt

Jellicent is amazing due to its interesting Water/Ghost typing. With the right strategy, it can take out big names like Jirachi and Heatran. Water Absorb also can help you trick a Choice-locked Azumarill into healing yourself with its Water attacks. Surf if you want a strong attack or Scald for a secondary burn effect. Toxic is good for breaking down walls (except Steel and Poison-types), Will-O-Wisp can cripple physical attackers, giving you a good advantage. Recover is recommended for healing and Taunt to cripple those that rely on recovery moves.

157.gif

Timid nature
Life Orb / Heat Rock
Blaze
EVs 252 Sp. Atk / 4 Sp. Def / 252 Speed
Sunny Day, Fire Blast, SolarBeam, Focus Blast or HP Rock

Although this may be outclassed by Solar Power Charizard, this is still a good Typhlosion set. What makes Typhlosion better than Charizard is that Charizard has the dreaded 4x Stealth Rock weakness and with Solar Power, it sacrifices a bit of HP every turn. Sunny Day will ensure Fire Blast one-shots everything that doesn't resist it (Water, Rock, Dragon, Fire and Pokemon with Thick Fat). Hidden Power Rock can help against Flying and Bug-types along with taking down Charizard effectively. Since Sunny Day is on the set, SolarBeam will hit in a single turn when sunlight is up, helping you take down Water, Rock and Ground-types.

248.gif

Jolly nature
Choice Scarf
Sand Stream
EVs 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
Stone Edge, Crunch, Pursuit, Superpower

Choice Scarf is one of the many sets Tyranitar can use, and I well recommend it. Stone Edge and Crunch for your main attacks, Pursuit to catch out Ghost and Psychic attackers and Superpower for that edge on Normal, Steel, Rock and Ice-types. Superpower can help against opponents using Terrakion, Ferrothorn or other Tyranitar. Just watch out for Fighting-types.

103.gif

Modest nature
Choice Specs
Chlorophyll
EVs 132 HP / 252 Sp. Atk / 124 Speed
Leaf Storm, Psychic, Sleep Powder, HP Ice

Even though Exeggutor's Grass/Psychic typing grants it 7 weaknesses, there's still some tricks it can do. Leaf Storm and Psychic for STAB moves, Sleep Powder to disable the opponent into sleeping and Hidden Power Ice for some counter against Dragon, Flying and other Grass-types. It's pretty bulky and since Typhlosion will serve as your Sunny Day user, Exeggutor's Chlorophyll will make it likely to move first due to the Speed increase. Just keep Exeggutor away from Fire and especially Bug-types.

615.gif

Timid nature
Light Clay
Levitate
EVs 252 HP / 88 Sp. Def / 168 Speed
Ice Beam, Light Screen, Reflect, Recover

Cryogonal's role will be your Dual Screen user, Recover is there to heal. Light Clay helps extend the duration of Reflect and Light Screen. Since Cryogonal has low Defense, Reflect is definitely what you want to set up, Ice Beam is there so you don't get crippled by Taunt users.

Hope you like these sets!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 4, 2012
Hello!! Youve got a great team here, but let me offer some very minor tweaks.
Samurott: Aqua jet being 40 power is a bit weak, and it has waterfall. Switch aqua jet with Focus Energy, and Megahorn with X-Scissor. X-Scissor has a high Crit Ratio, and abuses Focus energy well, meaning a more powerful combo than Aqua jet and Megahorn.
Jellicent: Taunt is good. But trading it for Hex, allows it to work off of Will-o-Wisp.
Typlosion: Is good
Tyranitar: Switch either Focus Punch or SuperPower with Earthquake so it has a high powered STAB move, and so you dont have two moves that damage of the same type.
Exeggutor: The guy above me got to it first lol
Cryogonol: Light Screen, Hail, Blizzard, Recover <--- this set makes better use of its type.

Hope this was helpful =)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 4, 2012
Personally i uually lead with my choice set pokemon, or the highest speed. Out of your pokemon... id lead with Typholsion.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
Hikari10 got most of it down although I would use Scald, Recover, Taunt, and either Ice Beam or Shadow Ball on Jellicent there for increased coverage overall.

That and I would also consider going with giving Typhlosion either a Choice Specs or Choice Scarf along with Eruption to replace Sunny Day in its moveset there so it would end up having Eruption, Fire Blast/Flamethrower, Focus Blast, and HP Rock if you decided to go with something along those lines. Not as recommended as the minor Jellicent moveset change there but food for thought nontheless.

Everything else seems to be in order imo so good luck with the team and I hope this helps.

Years
  • Seen Jun 14, 2013
You might wanna take out that Tyranitar. It will hurt your team with its ability and make rock types highly resistant to your special attacks. Anyways, if you need someone to test your team on I'm the man.

Back