• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Showcase and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
random_gs_town_by_nintendork15-d5itqmv.png

Random Town.

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
Years
Thought I'd show the first town of my region.
Credits to UltimoSpriter for the environment tiles
Credits to me for buildings.
Map1.png

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
View attachment 66356
Just a small Town I made (and Yes I know one of the corners in the trees are missing, but it's because of the 3 layer limit.)
View attachment 66366

Route 1 for my upcoming game, I spent a good time on this.
View attachment 66376

And finally I have a 3rd map which is a city near a mountain side.

One of the main thing I like about Pokémon maps is their relative simplicity. You maps don't portray this well at all. While they still look good, I think it would look much better to the players if you squared off the cliffs a little. The design you use now feels like you're trying to make realistically rounded mountains using tile designed to be square, and the two types clash quite badly. Since Pokémon is a tile-based game, it would really make the most sense for tiles to be relatively square.

Other than that, I'd just say maybe their too big, but it's hard to judge without it being in-game. They look nice though, just square off the mountains a little.

Years
@ Ice God

Actually, I think they look nicer when being the round mountains, it gives it a more natural look, besides, if you are making a ball in paint, you don't leave it squared out do you? After all in the end all you are drawing are a bunch of tiny squares.

As for the size, I think they are normal sized maps, they are slightly zoomed out which gives the larger illusion, but in the end none is really that big.

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
Hello everyone. I recently started using new BW styled tiles and remade the home town of my fan game with them. Let me know what you think.

Yuho1.png

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
Years
Today I present to you the start of my games maps :D I've finally managed to sprite enough buildings to get somewhere with Hoenn.
Bit of a big map.
Spoiler:

Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
Years
Just realized this thread existed and decided to get some feed back on a few of my maps. All the maps come from my Touhoumon Fangame in RMXP, save for one which comes from my Touhoumon DevKit.

Pallet Town
I decided to rework it a bit because I was never quite fond of the original layout, but I guess it was understandable from a development standpoint for the starter town.
Spoiler:

Route 1
I needed to have Route 1 reflect Pallet Town's water addition, so I had to alter the map a bit. I kept it close to the original, while throwing in a bit of my own design into it.
Spoiler:

Viridian City
Since the game takes places 7 years after GSC, I decided to keep the Trainer House in this. The design heavily resembles the original, but also has its own bit of flair to it.
Spoiler:

Route 22
I had a bit of a headcanon for Route 22 and Route 23 in the GSC Era. You see, Route 23 wasn't in GSC at all, save for that small sliver of area before the Indigo Plateau. I always wondered "Why isn't it there?" Came up with the theory that there was a mudslide from higher up and a minor earthquake which wrecked the route. Eventually, they cleared the route and fixed it up for trainers challenging the league. Route 22 and 23 were altered to resemble the changes. That gatehouse that is down by the left is also the entry way into the Johto Region.
Spoiler:

Pewter City
Changed a bit for the game. Overall, I wasn't overly fond of most of the design of Kanto's cities and towns, so decided to change a vast majority.
Spoiler:

Border's Edge Village
This map is for the Touhoumon Development Kit. Before the latest version of Essentials, I had an example of a Credits Script here from what they provided. This map has a mart which will contain all items added to the DevKit for purchase. That giant building is my example of a Hotel System, which isn't relevant to this picture at the moment.
Spoiler:

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
@ Ice God

Actually, I think they look nicer when being the round mountains, it gives it a more natural look, besides, if you are making a ball in paint, you don't leave it squared out do you? After all in the end all you are drawing are a bunch of tiny squares.

As for the size, I think they are normal sized maps, they are slightly zoomed out which gives the larger illusion, but in the end none is really that big.

I was taking into account that I'm seeing the whole map, but if your screen size is 512x384, it just seems a little big. But either way, I'm not seeing it in-game, so it's just guesswork.

As for your explanation about the ball, working with a pixel in paint to make a large sphere and working with a collection of tiles that are designed to look square are not the same principle. When you look at a single picture, the pixels around it are what put it all together and tells you if it makes sense. A tile, however is a picture in itself. This picture is put in with a bunch of other pictures to make a map. and individual picture can be round and the area around it can still be more square and look good. However, trying to make a round map of square tiles just looks messy.

Basically, if the player is confined to a grid, you should make your game a little more grid-friendly to reflect that. It's important to consider that attempts at making a heavily rounded or natural looking environment you make will ultimately just make a grid-based map look more clustered. That is why the official games outside of Colosseum/XD(Where the player had full range movement) remain fairly blocky.

I would also advise against the practice of putting grass in inaccessible areas, just another thought. I don't think it's a good thing to give a player a false sense of exploration in this type of game (Unless there actually are entrances into the map from all four directions).

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
a2Z7p.jpg

STarting Home Town Place, for Eon.
Everythign is related to the storyline and such.

@Derxwna Kapsyla
You're mapping skills are good, but it would help if the maps looked remotely like the ones you claim they are.

ptisnjunk95

Made in Portugal
Years
:t059: Hi guys I have here some maps to my game but I don't know if they are looking good... they're in the attachments (I can't show them coz I don't have 15 posts yet)

Nintendork, your map looks great :D but I think the fences around those 2 houses on the bottom are unnecessary.

Ben.

Orange I s l a n d s~
Years
Spoiler:

The mountains are very, very square, there needs to be much more variation in them. same thing with the trees. The fences are over used, there is no real need to mix and match them. The bottom two houses are in a really bad position, If they're only for space filling then break it up with something else. The bench tiles it's self is out of place and doesn't match the style.
Over all the placement of the useable buildings is actually pretty nice, but as a starting town there is too much going on. Street lights don't really work with the grassy town theme. The maps structure really isn't too bad it's just you need to work on the basic things, such as the mountain and tree placement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back