• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Showcase and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Here is a map of mine. I know it is bland, and I have actually spruced it up before but unfortunately, with the destruction of my laptop, that version of the map (which was much better) was lost. This was years ago and so I can't exactly remember what I did to make it look more alive.

fdsxs6.jpg

I can tell you what's missing in my opinion... Long grass, fencing, water, flowers... All that kind of thing.

Years
It has been a loooong while since I've posted on this forum but I suppose I will give it a go.

At first thought I was surprised at the fact that there was a Center, Mart and Gym in a forest. It's unusual.. but I suppose I can't punish you for creativity, right?

Near the Gym, their is a Rock Smash boulder, a Strength boulder and a Cut tree right next to one another. I know what you were going for but I need to be honest in telling you it looks out of place and quite.. stupid. Don't take offense, please, it is not my intention to offend. But it does. Say you can only get Strength after you've received Rock Smash and Cut. In that case, is the additional boulder and tree necessary if you KNOW they have those two HMs already? Also, if you'll look to the SE of the Mart, you will notice a mis-placed flower tile on top of a tree tile.

In addition, those ledges look so out of place/pointless. Fix them so they don't look as such. Overall I would give your map a.. 6/10. It's not awful and after a few fix-me-ups could easily make it to a 7, perhaps an 8. Nice effort and good luck!

Here is a map of mine. I know it is bland, and I have actually spruced it up before but unfortunately, with the destruction of my laptop, that version of the map (which was much better) was lost. This was years ago and so I can't exactly remember what I did to make it look more alive.

fdsxs6.jpg

This is a nice base for a map, if I were you I would begin by adding some minor Fauna, and things of that variety. Small detailed features, that make more of a "pop" when the player is going down the roads. Right now, the grass areas just seem to empty, other that that it is a nicely placed map.

Nickalooose: This is my Edit or Trelum Forest, I will be adding some small road blocks for the Gym, but they are not placed for now. To answer your previous question, yes this is in fact one of the last Tiers of Gyms. Gym 15/18 to be more precise.

4th Gen Matt: With the Poke Center and Poke Mart, this area has a HIGH encounter rate, and has a large variety of Pokemon. Along with these facts it is the first real challenge on the way to the gym. It will have trainers added in eventually, mainly on the way down to the Poke Center, only one of two before the Mart. As to the Gym, I will be having a few Gyms which do not occur in Villages, similar to the Fuscha Gym off the original Anime. That is concept I loved, and was sad to see did not exist in the games(At least Gen I ,II, III)

Now onto my update. This is a newer version of the Map, it is not the final version as it does not have trainers or random items/hidden items quite yet. I used a more complex version of Mapping this time, to try and make it look more like a Forest, and less like a wall of trees with some road in the middle. Let me know what you think ^^.

P.S. The path to the gym is also fixed so it is navigable. I also expanded the Entry-way to the North by one or two blocks, also for navigation issues.

Last edited:

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
I rather like your maps. I wonder though, on the first map are they Pokemon sprites visible retained regardless of game progression; or does it change based on which Pokemon are kept there/taken from there?

Here is my largest map so far. This is Trelum forest, a dense area full of Life. It has one of the harder Gym's in the game; and it is rumored to contain over 15 species of Pokemon. Due to the fact it is composed of Coniferous trees, the most common Pokemon encountered is Pineco.
This link goes to the Map as it is posted on my DA.

Hi everyone, sorry I haven't had time for a while to work on my game. Anyway, I like all the new maps that have been put up, but this one concerns me. I think you have way, way, way too much tall grass. It could take half an hour just to walk through here. Other than that, I like it a lot.
Anyway, you might now remember me, but I posted a screenshot of my games hometown a while ago and got critiqued on the north exit and the ponds. I have fixed those now. I am out of time though and will post it tomorrow.

Years
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
This is my map to my game Pokemon Shadows&Lights (only Polish language version) it name is "Forgom Forest".
Spoiler:

What is your opinion about this map?

Years
This is my map to my game Pokemon Shadows&Lights (only Polish language version) it name is "Forgom Forest".
Spoiler:

What is your opinion about this map?

4/10
The grass looks odd, grass generally doesn't come in little circles. Also, don't know if you ripped the trees, grass, branches, etc yourself, but the shadow/outline should be changed to something to match the grass. It looks really choppy.

As far as the map itself goes, I would probably widen the path just a little for ease of movement. I think the overall layout of the trees looks good (they aren't just in lines, they are natural looking). I also like the river going through the town, there just aren't enough rivers around. However, the buildings, benches, and lights seem somewhat haphazardly placed.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Now onto my update. This is a newer version of the Map, it is not the final version as it does not have trainers or random items/hidden items quite yet. I used a more complex version of Mapping this time, to try and make it look more like a Forest, and less like a wall of trees with some road in the middle. Let me know what you think ^^.

P.S. The path to the gym is also fixed so it is navigable. I also expanded the Entry-way to the North by one or two blocks, also for navigation issues.
4/10
The grass looks odd, grass generally doesn't come in little circles. Also, don't know if you ripped the trees, grass, branches, etc yourself, but the shadow/outline should be changed to something to match the grass. It looks really choppy.

As far as the map itself goes, I would probably widen the path just a little for ease of movement. I think the overall layout of the trees looks good (they aren't just in lines, they are natural looking). I also like the river going through the town, there just aren't enough rivers around. However, the buildings, benches, and lights seem somewhat haphazardly placed.

I think this covers it... There are no shadows for anything however... Plus the guard tower has a random white line underneath, you need to remove that... The lampost shouldn't be positioned like that either.

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
Lily Town (Again)

Ok guys. So I finally got around to remaking and taking a screenshot of my fan games home town again. I posted it a while ago and you gave me some helpful critiques. Those included making the ponds less boxy, making the north path thinner, and making the town as a whole smaller. I did not want to change the size of the map, unless you still think I really should. Anyway, here it is

Lily%20Town(FULL).png

Let me know what you think. I have more maps coming soon.

Aamelo

Reality Bender.
Years
This was my most recent Pokémon Map Made. I have uploaded some new maps for deviantART but those were done before this one. Let me know what you think. The tiles are a courtesy of Hex-el-Grande, Zeikaro and WesleyFG from DeviantART

eeveerfree_forest_by_aamelo-d4xmiij.png

Let me know your opinions. (I am not currently using this for any game)

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
Years
This is a starting town I made for my current project. I have only recently started on this project, so any and all critique is appreciated.
picture.php

Once again, I would really like some feedback, and I am going to post some more maps soon.

mineox100

Hey.
Years
This is a starting town I made for my current project. I have only recently started on this project, so any and all critique is appreciated.
picture.php

Once again, I would really like some feedback, and I am going to post some more maps soon.

Looks pretty good! Since it's an old style, I'd keep it this way since too much details can make look strange IMO.

Years
Ok guys. So I finally got around to remaking and taking a screenshot of my fan games home town again. I posted it a while ago and you gave me some helpful critiques. Those included making the ponds less boxy, making the north path thinner, and making the town as a whole smaller. I did not want to change the size of the map, unless you still think I really should. Anyway, here it is

Spoiler:

Let me know what you think. I have more maps coming soon.

I think the size of the map is fine. My only negative comment is that for a pretty neat, clean town, the branches seem a bit out of place. The branches right by the water are fine, but the rest seem a bit out of place, IMO.

This was my most recent Pokémon Map Made. I have uploaded some new maps for deviantART but those were done before this one. Let me know what you think. The tiles are a courtesy of Hex-el-Grande, Zeikaro and WesleyFG from DeviantART

Spoiler:

Let me know your opinions. (I am not currently using this for any game)

It seems to me like you may be using too many different trees with different styles. They don't all fit together very well, I'd personally take away one or two of them. The large mushrooms, the pillar-like rocks, and the white, blue and black items next to some light posts seem out of place as well. That said, I like how the town itself is mapped, it is well distinguished from the rest of the forest but still has a wild feel to it. I'd consider changing the stone tiling to dirt to make it a little more foresty, but the stone works alright too. Great job on staying away from a boxy looking map.

Spoiler:

Not bad! The only thing I see is the trees - some is all lined up, and some is scattered around. I'd try to keep the style more consistent.

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
Ok, fiOWNya, I will change the branches.

Here is route 1 for my game
Route%201%201-2.png

and the second half
Route%201%202-2.png

And here is the second town
Newera Town
Screen%20Shot%202012-06-18%20at%209.32.14%20PM.png

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
Years
Well, here are some more maps from my project, which I have decided to call Pokèmon Bronze.

Spoiler:

Once again, I am happy with any and all feedback, so please give me your opinion on these maps.

Aamelo

Reality Bender.
Years
Well. This is another of my maps. A Snowy one, that was actually for a non Pokemon Game, even if made in its style. This is Jolly Town and was made up based on a old map of a 'Friend' of Mine. The Building at the Top is a Art Museum.
(Tiles by LighterZein and PrinceLegendario)

old_map__jolly_town_by_aamelo-d50ljl7.png

(The Trees aren't blured out tiles, it just happen do to the Fact it was printed directly from RPG Maker XP, at actual size, they look okay)​

Also my opinions on Unknown Maps. I love to see GSC, and, even if the tiles were actually like that, I don't think the white behind some houses looks that nice. Still, I love the way that you did. This actually makes me want to map a GSC Map :I

Well, Opinions on this map?

Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2021
Well, here are some more maps from my project, which I have decided to call Pokèmon Bronze.

Spoiler:

Once again, I am happy with any and all feedback, so please give me your opinion on these maps.

They look great and I like the GSC style :)

Well. This is another of my maps. A Snowy one, that was actually for a non Pokemon Game, even if made in its style. This is Jolly Town and was made up based on a old map of a 'Friend' of Mine. The Building at the Top is a Art Museum.
(Tiles by LighterZein and PrinceLegendario)

old_map__jolly_town_by_aamelo-d50ljl7.png

(The Trees aren't blured out tiles, it just happen do to the Fact it was printed directly from RPG Maker XP, at actual size, they look okay)​

Also my opinions on Unknown Maps. I love to see GSC, and, even if the tiles were actually like that, I don't think the white behind some houses looks that nice. Still, I love the way that you did. This actually makes me want to map a GSC Map :I

Well, Opinions on this map?

Your map has lots of variety and I think it looks great overall :)
Are you mapping for fangames?

Aamelo

Reality Bender.
Years
Your map has lots of variety and I think it looks great overall :)
Are you mapping for fangames?

Well, I am just programming one called 'Fakemon Celestite' (Is on the Begginer's Showcase), but I am not graphic designer, leader or Mapper of it. I might make a game soon but in RTP Style of RPG Maker maybe.

Anways, here is another map I made back then in Game Maker, with Effects from Photoshop.
remake__crystal_mountain___cristalia_town_by_aamelo-d4h6wuw.png

Comments on this one? :)

Years
  • Seen Jul 12, 2016
Well, I am just programming one called 'Fakemon Celestite' (Is on the Begginer's Showcase), but I am not graphic designer, leader or Mapper of it. I might make a game soon but in RTP Style of RPG Maker maybe.

Anways, here is another map I made back then in Game Maker, with Effects from Photoshop.
Spoiler:

Comments on this one? :)

I think it's a great map. The lighting is a little bit overdone but the map is clean, detailed and it looks easy to navigate. Good job!

Here's a map I made not so long ago.

34zaphe.jpg

Comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back