• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Adding new types into Fire Red without replacing

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I am having trouble importing the Image I created. I get an error message that says "the image loaded was not indexed or used an undefined alpha channel". I am pretty new to this and got no idea what I could be doing wrong. I edited the image in paint, and the size is 128 x 152.

Just a quick note, did you change the height in NSE to 19? Because 152/8=19.

Anyway, other than that, you would just need to index it. There are tutorials out there on how to index things but a quick tut:

Need: Paint, Irfanview
1. Get image, open in Irfanview
2. Go to Image > Decrease Colour Depth > 16 Colours.
3. Then go to Image > Palette > Edit Palette, Swap the first colour with the background colour.
4. Save as a DIFFERENT IMAGE.
5. Take original image, copy, and paste over the decreased palette one.
BAM INDEXED.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 15, 2023
I just tested this in Emerald. Here's the icons:

Image Data: DC4378 7843DC08
Palette Data: DC4338 3843DC08

To edit the pics, the location for the "wall of text" is here: 60F0D4

However, for Emerald, it looks more complicated.

Extremely helpful, thank you. Lurker emerging, here, as he finally gets his first hack off the ground.

Emerald is indeed different. Enough that it took me a fair few hours in between House of Cards to hammer out the details. LCCoolJ95 here was kind enough to present the offsets for the Image and Palette data as well as the one for the image-to-chart matchup thingy (second part of Step 1). I found a couple more useful ones, though.

Effectiveness chart (Step 2): 31ace8

Types Name List (Step 3): 31ae38

The type matchup/effectiveness data is in a different order than FireRed's, though it still starts with Normal and ends with Dark. As for the type names, there's a fairly major difference - in FireRed, each type name ends with FF, allowing for some 00's in there for alignment.

Code:
. . . CC C9 BD C5 FF 00 00 BC CF C1 FF 00 00 00 C1 C2 C9 CD CE FF 00 CD . . .

In Emerald, each type name is capped by FF's - that is to say, it starts and ends with FF, and there are only 00's where there would be 2 or more in a row in Fire Red. Additionally, it'd seem the ending string is FF 00 FF 00.

Code:
. . . CC C9 BD C5 FF 00 FF BC CF C1 FF 00 00 FF C1 C2 C9 CD CE FF FF CD . . . BB CC C5 FF 00 FF 00

One more change that should be noted - in the default image we're working with here, the 5 misc tags are just a touch wider than they are in FireRed - they'll be listed with a width of 2A rather than 28.

So right now, as far as I know, I've got Fairy fully implemented into Emerald. The issue is actually testing/using it. Does anyone know of a way to get the Gen III Rom Hacking Suite to use Fairy as a type? I'd use YAPE, but I've done a little messing around with the Suite, laid groundwork for replacing the ?'s after Celebi with the evolutions introduced in 4th gen, and that's made YAPE crash when opening this particular rom. I could go back and do this from an earlier version, I suppose, but that'd be something of a pain.

I've set numberoftypes = 19 for Emerald in the PokeRoms.ini for the Suite and moved the pointer for the typenames, but it doesn't seem to have helped. It may just be my implementation of Fairy into the name table; I kind of just made something up.

Code:
FF BE BB CC C5 FF 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 FF 00 00 00 00 00 00 FF 00 00 00 00 00 00 FF FF C0 D5 DD E6 ED FF 00 FF 00

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Extremely helpful, thank you. Lurker emerging, here, as he finally gets his first hack off the ground.

Emerald is indeed different. Enough that it took me a fair few hours in between House of Cards to hammer out the details. LCCoolJ95 here was kind enough to present the offsets for the Image and Palette data as well as the one for the image-to-chart matchup thingy (second part of Step 1). I found a couple more useful ones, though.

Effectiveness chart (Step 2): 31ace8

Types Name List (Step 3): 31ae38

The type matchup/effectiveness data is in a different order than FireRed's, though it still starts with Normal and ends with Dark. As for the type names, there's a fairly major difference - in FireRed, each type name ends with FF, allowing for some 00's in there for alignment.

Code:
. . . CC C9 BD C5 FF 00 00 BC CF C1 FF 00 00 00 C1 C2 C9 CD CE FF 00 CD . . .

In Emerald, each type name is capped by FF's - that is to say, it starts and ends with FF, and there are only 00's where there would be 2 or more in a row in Fire Red. Additionally, it'd seem the ending string is FF 00 FF 00.

Code:
. . . CC C9 BD C5 FF 00 FF BC CF C1 FF 00 00 FF C1 C2 C9 CD CE FF FF CD . . . BB CC C5 FF 00 FF 00

One more change that should be noted - in the default image we're working with here, the 5 misc tags are just a touch wider than they are in FireRed - they'll be listed with a width of 2A rather than 28.

So right now, as far as I know, I've got Fairy fully implemented into Emerald. The issue is actually testing/using it. Does anyone know of a way to get the Gen III Rom Hacking Suite to use Fairy as a type? I'd use YAPE, but I've done a little messing around with the Suite, laid groundwork for replacing the ?'s after Celebi with the evolutions introduced in 4th gen, and that's made YAPE crash when opening this particular rom. I could go back and do this from an earlier version, I suppose, but that'd be something of a pain.

I've set numberoftypes = 19 for Emerald in the PokeRoms.ini for the Suite and moved the pointer for the typenames, but it doesn't seem to have helped. It may just be my implementation of Fairy into the name table; I kind of just made something up.

Code:
FF BE BB CC C5 FF 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 FF 00 00 00 00 00 00 FF 00 00 00 00 00 00 FF FF C0 D5 DD E6 ED FF 00 FF 00

Seeing as the original is 18 and you added 4 extra slots. It should be 22 types. To account for the blank spaces.

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
does this work with unLZ.gba?

For Ruby, yes, as seen in DestinedJagold's tut. For Fire Red? I've looked through UnLZ and I can say that, no, you need NSE 2.X.
Though, I may be wrong, because there are a LOT of pics in UnLZ

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Oct 18, 2014
For Ruby, yes, as seen in DestinedJagold's tut. For Fire Red? I've looked through UnLZ and I can say that, no, you need NSE 2.X.
Though, I may be wrong, because there are a LOT of pics in UnLZ

I can say that I've searched through everything in the FireRed Rom and all that's in there is jumbled pixels and some sprites. Occasionally there is important stuff, like the copyright in the opening.

So now that we've sorta confirmed this, can I ask you to send me a link to a rom with this already done? My computer (Windows XP) doesn't support it. You can PM me if it works better than posting on here.

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I can say that I've searched through everything in the FireRed Rom and all that's in there is jumbled pixels and some sprites. Occasionally there is important stuff, like the copyright in the opening.

So now that we've sorta confirmed this, can I ask you to send me a link to a rom with this already done? My computer (Windows XP) doesn't support it. You can PM me if it works better than posting on here.

Sorry, FORUM RULES state no sending roms. However, you can use MrDollSteak's patch which already includes Fairy Type + Other cool stuff.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 5, 2016
Don't think you mentioned this, and no one has asked so far.
After you finished your process, did you replace the old table with FF's to open
up some more space for other things later? Or did you leave as it was?

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Don't think you mentioned this, and no one has asked so far.
After you finished your process, did you replace the old table with FF's to open
up some more space for other things later? Or did you leave as it was?

Well, I don't personally do it, but its just a matter of personal preference. You can if you want.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Oct 18, 2014
Sorry, FORUM RULES state no sending roms. However, you can use MrDollSteak's patch which already includes Fairy Type + Other cool stuff.

Can you send me a link to the patch then? Or is that still against the rules? I can't find the thread.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 29, 2017
First, I would like to thank you for this post. It was insanely helpful.
I am encountering a slight problem though. I finish editing the image (with Paint.NET) and import it, but the image ends up distorted. Some parts are cut off, some pixels are moved around.
I'm new to this, so am I just missing something? or should I use a different graphics editor?

Thanks for any help!

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I am encountering a slight problem though. I finish editing the image (with Paint.NET) and import it, but the image ends up distorted. Some parts are cut off, some pixels are moved around.
I'm new to this, so am I just missing something? or should I use a different graphics editor?

Thanks for any help!

Did you change the width of the image? Or is your height and/or width not divisble by 8? Just double check either of these.
If the dimensions are good, maybe it is Paint.NET. Try Paint MS Vista. Definitely the best simple image editing tool.

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
Years

Thanks for any help!

Paint.net does not support indexing.
Do as ShyRayq suggests and use XP or Vista Paint.

Years
I've finally got it to work in emerald after testing and testing

the fairy type works the effectiveness against dragon types is awesome

i also am working on getting the gen VI pokemon in the rom...animations and all

all are finished except for the legendaries

i will post a download as soon as i successfully get them all into the rom hacke and with
the fairy type all squared away should take a few days if not faster

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 21, 2023
Alright. So, this is a great tutorial so far, but I'm importing my file into NSE and all of the dark grey (like the shadows of the letters and the backgrounds of Power/type/Effect/etc.) is showing up transparent. I did try to index it, but I simply did it in IrfanView, which I'm not sure can index. AS far as I can tell, I've done all the steps completely right.

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Alright. So, this is a great tutorial so far, but I'm importing my file into NSE and all of the dark grey (like the shadows of the letters and the backgrounds of Power/type/Effect/etc.) is showing up transparent. I did try to index it, but I simply did it in IrfanView, which I'm not sure can index. AS far as I can tell, I've done all the steps completely right.

Uhh, can't really think of anything right now. Remember, when indexing, make sure the first colour of the palette is the background, if it isn't:
Swap the colours, and save the new image in the same folder.
Open old image and copypaste on the new image. It should look like normal, then save.
If you already did that, well...there's always doing it again, and being careful I guess. Also Paint Vista or XP.

Mr.Mako

Resident Edgelord Troll
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 10, 2023
I was following this to the letter and I was working on the Icon part and it did a thing that I can't figure out. I added an image with as much relevant stuff as possible. I need help cause I'm making a hack with all 700 some pokemon in it as a bday present for a friend, and I need to have the Fairy type.

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I was following this to the letter and I was working on the Icon part and it did a thing that I can't figure out. I added an image with as much relevant stuff as possible. I need help cause I'm making a hack with all 700 some pokemon in it as a bday present for a friend, and I need to have the Fairy type.

I think the problem..is you're using Paint for Windows 7. Don't do that.
Like I said..Paint Vista/XP

Back