• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiniMinun

Azumarill Lover Since Gen II!
Years
WinterWonderland said:
Map Name: Mt. Andy
Game: The Leola Project; base FR
Credits: Game Freak
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Beautiful and great map. The tree and grass placement gives the map a really natural look, and the way you scattered the flowers was a nice touch. I also appreciate the gradual flow upwards toward the mountains. I don't really see many negatives, other than 1 tile error and the mouth of the right cave. But other than that, awesome job! 9.5/10

Here's another map from me:
Map Name: Unknown
Map Game: Emerald
Comments: Started a big cave project but eventually slowly started to hate it so I instead did a smaller one. The name is Unknown cause it really is just a random cave I decided to make. A few pokeballs, smashable rocks and boulders are missing, however. In the 3rd section, the bright rocks represent boulders.
Map:
First Section:
Spoiler:

Second Section:
Spoiler:

Third Section:
Spoiler:

(The lower-left opening in section 1 connects to the lower-left one in section 2. The top right ladder in section 1 connects to section 3 ladder, and the opening in section 3 connects to the upper opening in section 2 :D )

Last edited:

demondismon

Booted out - don't be like me!
Years
Beautiful and great map. The tree and grass placement gives the map a really natural look, and the way you scattered the flowers was a nice touch. I also appreciate the gradual flow upwards toward the mountains. I don't really see many negatives, other than 1 tile error and the mouth of the right cave. But other than that, awesome job! 9.5/10

Here's another map from me:
Map Name: Unknown
Comments: Started a big cave project but eventually slowly started to hate it so I instead did a smaller one. The name is Unknown cause it really is just a random cave I decided to make. A few pokeballs, smashable rocks and boulders are missing, however. In the 3rd section, the bright rocks represent boulders.
Map:
First Section:
Spoiler:

Second Section:
Spoiler:

Third Section:
Spoiler:

(The lower-left opening in section 1 connects to the lower-left one in section 2. The top right ladder in section 1 connects to section 3 ladder, and the opening in section 3 connects to the upper opening in section 2 :D )
I think the map is good it seems a little too square however, it is still a good map. if i had to rate it i would say its a 7/10 congrates.

map name:unknown
game:pokemon fire red
comments: i dont know what to call this map quite yet so please dont mention its non exhisting name, i will take suggestion's for nams though.
credits: idk who to credit cause i got the tiles off of google images and the pic i found just had a TON of tree's, grass, etc. (if you know who made the tree's pm me and ill credit them)
extra:i made the pallets myself so please tell me who bad/good/ok my map is, i think its pretty good for not mapping in awhile, i inserted all tiles that are new myself :P
2ecku4j.png

Last edited:

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
I think the map is good it seems a little too square however, it is still a good map. if i had to rate it i would say its a 7/10 congrates.

map name:unknown
game:pokemon fire red
comments: i dont know what to call this map quite yet so please dont mention its non exhisting name, i will take suggestion's for nams though.
credits: idk who to credit cause i got the tiles off of google images and the pic i found just had a TON of tree's, grass, etc. (if you know who made the tree's pm me and ill credit them)
extra:i made the pallets myself so please tell me who bad/good/ok my map is, i think its pretty good for not mapping in awhile, i inserted all tiles that are new myself :P
2ecku4j.png

I'd say 7/10 because I like the new tree tiles and grass tile. Not a big fan of new tiles meeting old tiles and I don't believe this particular building looks well with the trees. Also, be careful with what images you rip. If you google images, you might pick up fanmade tiles that are from deviantart and they might not want their tiles to be used. Always ask for permission unless you can see on the site with the image the owner or creator stating they don't mind the use of the tiles.

Here are three maps I need rating on for my hack. Just wondering where they stand and if I should change it up. The maps take place near the beaches of an unknown and uncharted land ... or so you think.

Map 2:
Spoiler:

Map 3 (besides obvious tile errors which the player won't see):
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
Here are two maps I need rating on for my hack. Just wondering where they stand and if I should change it up. The maps take place near the beaches of an unknown and uncharted land ... or so you think.

Map 1:
Spoiler:

Map 2 (besides obvious tile errors which the player won't see):
Spoiler:
I would give your first map a 9/10. I find that it's just a bit tooo green. Also I find the north enterence seems a bit too bland. You did a very good job on mot making the trees linear at some parts, but at other parts the trees DO look too linear (example the top left of your map). All in all it's a great map and I gave it a 9/10 because I am picky.

I would give your second map a 10/10. I think it's a perfect map. Other then the tile errors (which people can't see anyway so it doesn't matter) there is nothing else I can say other then keep up the good work!

Map Name:
Route 1

Map Game: Fire Red

Comments: This is the first map I made. It is the route 1 of my game 'POKEMON BATTLE BROWN'. NOTE: I didn't make these tiles. I found these tiles on this website and if you could like to see who made the tiles, go to my POKEMON BATTLE BROWN page to see the full list. I only put together the tileset.

Mapshot:
Spoiler:

mapshotgz7.png

Last edited:

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
I would give your first map a 9/10. I find that it's just a bit tooo green. Also I find the north enterence seems a bit too bland. You did a very good job on mot making the trees linear at some parts, but at other parts the trees DO look too linear (example the top left of your map). All in all it's a great map and I gave it a 9/10 because I am picky.

I would give your second map a 10/10. I think it's a perfect map. Other then the tile errors (which people can't see anyway so it doesn't matter) there is nothing else I can say other then keep up the good work!

Map Name:
Route 1

Comments: This is the first map I made. It is the route 1 of my game 'POKEMON BATTLE BROWN'. NOTE: I didn't make these tiles. I found these tiles on this website and if you could like to see who made the tiles, go to my POKEMON BATTLE BROWN page to see the full list. I only put together the tileset.

Mapshot:
Spoiler:

mapshotgz7.png

At first I was curious to see why my first map wasn't rated then I saw that there was a linking error -_- so ill post it again for the next map rater. But ANYWAYS! You're too kind, thank you for your reviews and I too believe the first map is too green. Trying to figure out a good way to brighten it up (believe it or not I actually had the palettes darker than what they appear now!)

As far as your map goes, I've always been a fan of those water tiles and I plan to implement them myself, I think you did a really good job with the routes the player would take and I love the blend of everything and how nicely everything comes together. I never give 10s because I mean most maps can always be updated in some way but your map makes me want to play your game right now! A solid 10/10.

As for the map I tried to link before, this is a map (I know they are fake-version tiles of platinum but I prefer them) and in this map it is a dream state almost, where you are at while you are knocked out from a blow you took right before this event. Let me know pretty much if you like the layout and all that good stuff. I have it to where at any point you keep walking off the edge, you warp back the the beginning and the warp circles take you to other circles and so it is a puzzle which at the same time will determine which -eon (or eevee) you want to have in your party.

Spoiler:

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
As for the map I tried to link before, this is a map (I know they are fake-version tiles of platinum but I prefer them) and in this map it is a dream state almost, where you are at while you are knocked out from a blow you took right before this event. Let me know pretty much if you like the layout and all that good stuff. I have it to where at any point you keep walking off the edge, you warp back the the beginning and the warp circles take you to other circles and so it is a puzzle which at the same time will determine which -eon (or eevee) you want to have in your party.

Spoiler:

As a Dream World I understand it is meant to be bizarre but this map seems incredibly empty, only maybe 60% of this map has solid ground, you should include more ground and include some form of a puzzle, I don't quite understand why you bothered with the Eeveelution because you could have just had statues of the eeveelutions. Overall this map is pretty Barren, I mean the closest thing I can compare this to are the Distortion World. Which had much more plant life and water as well. This map is a reasonable start to something which I hope you can expand and elaborate on.

6.2/10

This is a map I made when I looked over my previous maps of routes I realized I had not made any Large Routes. So here it is.

Map Name: Route 73

Map Game: FireRed Version

Spoiler:

Also Two more maps, The first is a cave which is home to several fire types while the other is home to many Ice Types.

Map Name: Inferno Cave

Spoiler:

Map Name: Chilled Cavern

Spoiler:

Last edited:

demondismon

Years
As a Dream World I understand it is meant to be bizarre but this map seems incredibly empty, only maybe 60% of this map has solid ground, you should include more ground and include some form of a puzzle, I don't quite understand why you bothered with the Eeveelution because you could have just had statues of the eeveelutions. Overall this map is pretty Barren, I mean the closest thing I can compare this to are the Distortion World. Which had much more plant life and water as well. This map is a reasonable start to something which I hope you can expand and elaborate on.

6.2/10

This is a map I made when I looked over my previous maps of routes I realized I had not made any Large Routes. So here it is.

Map Name: Route 73

Spoiler:

Also Two more maps, The first is a cave which is home to several fire types while the other is home to many Ice Types.

Map Name: Inferno Cave

Spoiler:

Map Name: Chilled Cavern

Spoiler:
the maps above are very good, im not a huge fan of using in game tiles but the map it self are good 7/10

map name:route 1
game:fire red
29cov2w.png

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
@ Demondismon

For a first route this one is rather interesting since I can only assume the other tall Grass is Dark Grass. Also I think it is a rather interesting idea to have the Professor's Lab out in the field instead of in a small town. If you are gonna have more realistic versions of FR/LG tiles you may as well upgrade the rest, I mean don't hesitate to change that path so it looks like a real dirt path and give the Prof. Lab a custom design instead of Prof. Oak's 2 Window, Chimney from nowhere lab. Other than that there isn't much else to say other than the amount of Tall Grass a player could access is to heavily weighed towards Dark Grass which is bad, also there is a water body and other Tall Grass which is inaccessible, also bad. I recommend also separating Dark Grass from Tall Grass it just seems off the way it is.

Overall a pretty good idea but there are just some things which need to change

7.4/10

Guys I'm hoping for anyone to rate my Gyms even just one I'm reposting them here

Gyms

Gym 1
Spoiler:

Gym 2
Spoiler:

Gym 3
Spoiler:

Gym 4
Spoiler:

Gym 5
Spoiler:

Gym 6
Spoiler:

Gym 7
Spoiler:

Gym 8
Spoiler:

demondismon

Years
@ Demondismon

For a first route this one is rather interesting since I can only assume the other tall Grass is Dark Grass. Also I think it is a rather interesting idea to have the Professor's Lab out in the field instead of in a small town. If you are gonna have more realistic versions of FR/LG tiles you may as well upgrade the rest, I mean don't hesitate to change that path so it looks like a real dirt path and give the Prof. Lab a custom design instead of Prof. Oak's 2 Window, Chimney from nowhere lab. Other than that there isn't much else to say other than the amount of Tall Grass a player could access is to heavily weighed towards Dark Grass which is bad, also there is a water body and other Tall Grass which is inaccessible, also bad. I recommend also separating Dark Grass from Tall Grass it just seems off the way it is.

Overall a pretty good idea but there are just some things which need to change

7.4/10

Guys I'm hoping for anyone to rate my Gyms even just one I'm reposting them here

Gyms

Gym 1
Spoiler:

Gym 2
Spoiler:

Gym 3
Spoiler:

Gym 4
Spoiler:

Gym 5
Spoiler:

Gym 6
Spoiler:

Gym 7
Spoiler:

Gym 8
Spoiler:
well ill rate them seperatly if im gonna have to rate them. gym 1: is good i think it looks fine so 7/10
gym 2: also looks ok im not a huge fan of the wood color's you have there so 6/10
gym 3: ...i persoanlly dont like this map at all it seems empty and the color dont agree with me or my eye's it kinda hurts too look at it 4/10
gym 4: 7/10
gym 5: 8/10
gym 6: is good i like the color's alot 8/10
gym 7: i like how the map got bigger, the colors are really good 9.7/10
gym 8: i like the map but the black area's with the white.. thing makes me kinda want to say it has no purpose,(your sprite can even fit on it) 9.4/10

srry but gym 3 is just really badly colored and set up, i dont me too be rude, but try something different with it.

map name:route 1 (edit)
game: firered
description: i posted this earlier but i was told i should change a few things on it so here is the edited one
credits: the dead hero alister for the new lab tile
map:
240zo94.png

Sliter

Gaijin Trainer
Years
My first time here I hope I can be helpfull xD
Le me see...
> Demondismon, I was going to say about the inaccessible area but since you changed that XD
It's looks good, the new tile for the lab made a lot of difference, just these rocks seens a bit out of the place, unless if you are planning to do something with they, the one in front the lab door looks that will make the way a bit bad becaue the need of turn on it ...
It's all, 9/10

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
map name:route 1 (edit)
game: firered
description: i posted this earlier but i was told i should change a few things on it so here is the edited one
credits: the dead hero alister for the new lab tile
map:
240zo94.png

Hmm... I definetly like the new building you've made as well as fixing up those things on the West Tree Section and might I just suggest the puddle a different look, the style is correct it just needs to have the same detail level as the trees. The thing I find odd is you've removed the Grass patches from before I'm not sure why you decided this but just saying it is a Route after all. Also I noticed you have a small hidden path right before the North Exit on the Left side I'm not sure if you knew that already or not but I think that's a really good idea.

Overall this map has really actually quite drastically improved from before I think you've done a fine job. 9.3/10

Also in your ratings of My gyms here are some responses to some things I probably should have explained:

also looks ok im not a huge fan of the wood color's you have there so 6/10

Ok the wall used here is actually Mud due to it being a Ground-Type Gym I'll probably change it to have a stronger Blue to it so it doesn't look so wooden.

...i persoanlly dont like this map at all it seems empty and the color dont agree with me or my eye's it kinda hurts too look at it 4/10

If you could elaborate on what particular section like the Gym Leader's Podium, The wall or whatever the actual colour is that would be great.

i like the map but the black area's with the white.. thing makes me kinda want to say it has no purpose,(your sprite can even fit on it) 9.4/10

Ahh, this one is a bit tricky to explain but this gym as you probably knew already is a Grass Gym, so the theme was around Nature. The White Ropes across the Black Pits are actually Silk walkways similar to the Azalea Gym from Gen IV however you can walk on these ones and if you fall in the pit you get sent back to the start. The Red Round objects are Trampolines (gotta re-do the top) and the player is required to Run onto the Trampoline to jump over the gap. The Trees with the Pit below them are actually a sort of Vine Swing, I just didn't include a Vine to show.

So that should clear up everything on that Gym.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Hello, I'm the bringer of bad news.

The thing that stands out the most here is the clashing trees. You have some tropical looking trees next to your standard forest-trees. Two types of large trees is the max for a single map and you have you have... four? Ditch the tropical trees and the other type with the exposed trunk - that'll help your map a lot.

Now then, why do we have house (or a lab?) in the middle of this forest? Why is it separate? Why not shut it off with a border fence, give it a bit of a garden on the side, and try and make it separate to the engulfing forest.

Third - space. This is a very cramped map with one very specific route. The path is narrow, there is no room for exploring, future endeavors, and it all looks very... samey. How about some variety? Or another feature point? (pond, hill, more than one route, etc.).

Puddle be gone.

Rocks be gone as well - rocks match with mountainous land, and so should only really be near cliffs (or perhaps ledges). Dotted randomly around a forest = no. If you want a tile for decoration how about some small flowers or mushrooms?

At the end of the day, this map is probably a 6/10 at best. It's not great, but it's not awful either.

Pokémon Trainer 188

I really like the Map it's nice with the variety of Trees instead of one or two I like it too because it's like you're passing through a Route on the way to the next town and there's a place to stop on your way :P

Here's my Map:

Map Name: Genesis Town
Rom Base: FireRed

jpfj.png

There are blank parts but when you are playing the game you can't see them :P

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
Here's my Map:

Map Name: Genesis Town
Rom Base: FireRed

Spoiler:

There are blank parts but when you are playing the game you can't see them :P

By looking at this map I can see you've given a fair amount of consideration to the design however try to never, ever place trees in front of windows. Also the Ridges leading up to the Cave seem a bit off I would say make the entire area elevated and have stairs to connect the Cave to the Town. I just get the off feeling with the amount of Flowers in this map it just is a bit much, try reducing the flower count to very few or none at all (I noticed you had some Grassy Rocks and raised grass which you could replace them with.

Overall this map flows well it just doesn't quite have the little things worked out. Pretty good overall though

8.7/10

Here's my new map

It is of a small town located at the base of a mountain and has a sister town at the peak. The cave seperating the two is filled with Fire types however making it difficult to traverse the Cave because both towns can only find pokemon of the Grass or Ice type.

Map Name: Bassite Town

Spoiler:

Also its Sister town which is located at the peak of the mountain and heavily relies on the few fertile patches of land to grow food as well as transports from Bassite Town.

Map Name: Iceak Town

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
Here's my new map

It is of a small town located at the base of a mountain and has a sister town at the peak. The cave seperating the two is filled with Fire types however making it difficult to traverse the Cave because both towns can only find pokemon of the Grass or Ice type.

Also its Sister town which is located at the peak of the mountain and heavily relies on the few fertile patches of land to grow food as well as transports from Bassite Town.

I can tell you are going for a compact feeling with both of these maps. I think you do a good job for the most part, but I think they could be spaced out a little more for a better player experience. For example, in both towns there are several places with one-tile wide gaps that the player needs to walk through. Generally, one-tile wide openings are annoying to navigate through.

The layout of the towns is organized, though. Nice job. However, I think you should replace one of the buildings in Iceak town with a different type of building because the same style is visually repetitive.

7/10

demondismon

Years
By looking at this map I can see you've given a fair amount of consideration to the design however try to never, ever place trees in front of windows. Also the Ridges leading up to the Cave seem a bit off I would say make the entire area elevated and have stairs to connect the Cave to the Town. I just get the off feeling with the amount of Flowers in this map it just is a bit much, try reducing the flower count to very few or none at all (I noticed you had some Grassy Rocks and raised grass which you could replace them with.

Overall this map flows well it just doesn't quite have the little things worked out. Pretty good overall though

8.7/10

Here's my new map

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
the maps are okay, they are a little too small in my opinion, and im not sure who the border would work on either of these, but other then those facts there better decent so i would give them 6/10

map name:route 1 (this is th second part of route 1 with the grass)
map:
15wec07.png

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
the maps are okay, they are a little too small in my opinion, and im not sure who the border would work on either of these, but other then those facts there better decent so i would give them 6/10

Hmm, I don't think I've ever seen these tiles before.

Anyway, I think this map has the same problem that a lot of maps I see on here have. The route is too restrictive and cramped. They player is forced to walk through narrow gaps, which is generally not good. This route is also incredibly linear, meaning that there is no feeling of exploration. There is essentially one exact path that the player can take to get through here.

Perhaps widening the path will help, and consider adding a branch off the main trail to give the player some more freedom.

4/10

Winter Wonderland

Puts the fun in dysfunctional
Years

map:
15wec07.png

The entirety of this map seems incredibly cramped; almost the entire area is two or one-tiled in width. Not only that, but the route is too linear to seem natural. There's only one way to go through the path, one direct route. I feel that the player needs just a bit more freedom in movement in order to feel like they're actually playing the game instead of just guiding an OW down a line.
5/10.

Map name: Random Route
Game: Fire Red
Credits: tile makers
Notes: Just playing around with some tiles.
Spoiler:

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
Spoiler:

This map is relatively good as long as the first entrance to this map is from the north so it is accessible from the beginning, as much as most of the tiles you've used in this map are good I don't like those flowers they are too dark and look like mushrooms, also remove all the soft branch trees and replece them with spiky branches or thin trees the trio don't go to together at all. You probably should change the sign and water to a custom tile design otherwise it doesn't fit in at all also the path outline is the only on this map I could identify as an actual path, I recommend you lighten the part inside the actual path so it is more obvious. The last thing is that patch where there are two flowers covered by trees doesn't work very well you should probably change it to be open or cover the whole thing up.

Overall the tiles are good aside from the flowers and the design is not bad. It does need some editing however 7.3/10

This is a map I made recently, it is essentially a Pokepark however I have yet to add bins and benches but the basis is there, there is a lookout point in the northern section for looking out over the routes around.

Spoiler:

Another Map I've made, a Town surrounded by a large Mountain, the town flourishes on the resources only found in the secluded area
Spoiler:

Last edited:

MiniMinun

Azumarill Lover Since Gen II!
Years
Winter Wonderland said:
Spoiler:

Very nice map. The tree and grass placement give the map a excellent...natural...touch. I personally like the combination of trees, although the flower tiles are a bit off. One quick comment though; if you were to progress down towards the bottom exit, how would you get back to the start? Of course, this solely depends on the nature of the route and if perhaps you did want it to be one-way. Other than that, no tile errors that I can see, so again, great map! 8,5/10

My Map:
Map Name: (City name here) City
Game: Emerald
Comments: Here's another map in my Laroth project. The inspiration was sorta Eterna City... But anyways, I will probably redo this map sometime soon, but I would like some criticism to know what to do better next time. Thanks! :D
Map:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back