• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your First shiny

Xaldin

Big things come in Nice packages.
Years
Shiny Rhyhorn I found in Emerald.
just doing stuff in the Safari Zone and lo and behold,i find it!

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 29, 2013
Sandshrew in Emerald. It was strange because the day I found out about shinies was the day I found it. Literally like 2 hours later.

Palmer-Granate

The Champion Jester
Years
I caught a shiny Spearow back in Fire Red. I thought it was a glitch and almost ran from it before my little brother told me that it was extremely rare. I then caught it and used it on my main team.

Spearow, huh? That happens to be my only shiny to date. Let's forget Gyarados, he'll always/never count, so he's outside of this domain. I almost mistook it for a glitch, but the Shiny situation is so famous among us gamers, who can ignore it? :P

Nymue

Draconic Neophyte
Years
I just found my first shiny while playing Platinum, a Budew. This is kind of a big deal for me since I don't spend a lot of time playing the games. Now... I want more. D:

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
My first Shiny was fishing for a Carvanha, on Ruby, on Route 119. I missed catching an ordinary Carvanha the first time, and when I saw this Green Carvanha, my reaction was "what is this?" So, trying not to make it faint in any way, brought out my weakest pokemon, got it down to the yellow and used a few ultra balls on it until I caught it. It was then when I looked it up that I caught my first Shiny Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 15, 2013
I have been playing pokemon since red/blue, but my first shiny was Red Gyarados.

After that I found a shiny herdier while going to the elite four in pokemon black, but I accidentally knocked it out :(

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Oct 25, 2013
I had played Gold thrice, replaying the game from the beginning all over again and what was constant to all three was a shiny Tangela. Best one I had though was Butterfree.

Years
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Nidoran♂, Route 35, Pokémon Silver. Never to be seen again since I thought it was some kind of bug at the time...

Years
  • Age 42
  • Ohio
  • Seen Nov 9, 2013
My first shiny was a Weepinbell in Heart Gold. I never liked the Bellsprout tree, but, I did battle a lot with that Weepinbell.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
First shiny?

what was your first shiny?

mine was a ralts. caught it about 2 1/2 hours ago

Raikou

bolt-action thunder
Years
  • Age 34
  • NY
  • Seen Nov 12, 2015
Well, aside from the telltale red Gyrados way back when... My first shiny was a Electrike. That was way back on Sapphire. I still have it on my SoulSiver version, too! Except now, he's a level 100 Manectric.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Technically, Gyarados was my first shiny Pokémon, but that shouldn't really count, as I didn't encounter it by luck—it was part of the main storyline, which forced me to meet up with it. My first shiny was Hoothoot, if I remember correctly. I was able to catch it with only one Poké Ball (without having to weaken it or anything), but it wasn't such a big surprise, though, since its level was quite low. Once I caught it, I kept it on my team and evolved it into Noctowl. When I had beaten the Pokémon League, I eventually decided to have it replaced with a Pidgeot.

My most recent shiny would have to be Litleo, which I've managed to encounter on Route 22 when playing Pokémon Y. I wasn't able to capture it, though. I was trying to weaken the Pokémon a bit, but when I struck it with an attack, it turned out to be a critical hit—making it faint in an instant. ): If I didn't attack it, then I probably would've had it captured by now.

Years
Other than the obligatory shiny Gyarados in GSC, I think my first was a Rattata in one of the Gen II games. But I don't think I have it anymore, shame.

But aside from that, my first shiny in any of the post-GB era games was a shiny Gastly in Fire Red, which was pretty nice.

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
Years
A Pidgey on silver two days before my friend told me what a shiny Pokemon was, I thought something was wrong with my game so naturally I turned it off and back on :(.
Ever since then I've gotten at least 1-2 random shinies on each gen, save the 6th, and countless masuda/radar shinies.

Pikabowser123

The Jack of all Trades
Years
My first shiny happened just today when for the first time I started playing Black 2 and I chose Tepig. It took me awhile to realize that it was a shiny one. But it was AWESOME.

Raikou

bolt-action thunder
Years
  • Age 34
  • NY
  • Seen Nov 12, 2015
My most recent shiny would have to be Litleo, which I've managed to encounter on Route 22 when playing Pokémon Y. I wasn't able to capture it, though. I was trying to weaken the Pokémon a bit, but when I struck it with an attack, it turned out to be a critical hit—making it faint in an instant. ): If I didn't attack it, then I probably would've had it captured by now.

That really sucks! I would have thrown a chair out my window. XD worst comes to worst, I just start pitching ultra balls/quick balls/timer balls until it's caught.

Back