• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Football/Soccer Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2012
Tonight, Wembley invites us to an eventful night with the main dish being the clash between two of Europe's biggest and most successful clubs, Barcelona and Manchester United. I'm hoping to witness a good game and not a one-sided utter-possession side.

I've been thinking of a way United can exploit some of Barcelona's few weakness, and that comes in their defense, mainly the corner-backs. We all know how Dani Alves tends to be a big part in Barcelona's full attack strategy so the right position (left for United) will be empty. In this space, Chicharito can squeeze himself and with some bit of luck the ball falls into Rooney's legs, something can actually come out of this. It seems Mascherano is going to play as a center back, so that's also good for United, and with Puyol not in his usual position, Valencia or an attacking Fabio can do some damage at that side.

I know this is known, but I hope United do something similar to that, or they will completely suffer. United is strong in counterattacks and have the pace and players to go with that. The key is waiting for a mistake from Barcelona's midfield, which is highly improbable, or pressure them in the midfield area (an example is last year's Inter's win). Man-marking Messi can work, but he's too savvy to succumb to that kind of pressure. It will certainly hinder his game, but he is not the only genius that can make a difference in this game. United can also use set-pieces and such to their advantage; Vidic and Ferdinand can make a difference.

Mourinho's tactics and strategy against Barcelona last year with Inter worked like a charm. The midfield was completely shut down, Messi couldn't find any space with Motta and Cambiasso switching turns in marking him, and with a few counterattacks, Inter managed to reach the final. Ferguson might have to play in a similar way to that, but Pep will have something up his sleeves to counter it.

tl;dr - Barcelona will win 2-1, courtesy of goals from Villa, Messi, and Valencia. xD

Years
@Danny, I'm sure Fergie has found something to exploit.

Still no idea over here whether Fergie has opted for 4-5-1 or the 4-4-2 with Rooney deep. He probably has a few surprises up his sleeve.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
tl;dr - Barcelona will win 2-1, courtesy of goals from Villa, Messi, and Valencia. xD

I'd pay anything to see that XD I'm expecing an incredibly tight result, I don't think any of them have enough advantage to run away with it easily. Mascherano and Puyol haven't played many matches in today's positions, but the few times they did, it worked like a charm. The only weak side I see is Alves's, Di María kept beating him in the last matches.

And, for strange it may sound, I can't really see one of Barcelona's strikers doing anything spectacular (although you can't realy say anything with Messi around). I expect at least one goal from a midfielder, if there are any.

I personally bet on 1-0, with Xavi scoring the winner.

Also, I still find it funny that there will be two Javier Hernánez running around, one playing for each team XD

Years
I have permission from Mr Cat Dog to make a cl final discussion thread but I'd rather get an idea of if anyone would actually post as the match goes on?

I'm going to say 2-1, whichever team wins I think that'll be the score, but obviously I will say to United.

Ivysaur

Years
I can get the laptop and comment when something exciting happens, I was already going to be posting on my trusty Spanish football forums XD

EDIT: That is, if I don't end up in a pub watching it with my dear dear friends, who suddenly became lifelong Manchester fans XD

Nah, they don't want to hang out tonight, gee I wonder why :P

Starting squads:

24wu4iu.jpg

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2012
A brilliant performance from the superb Barcelona! It was one of their finest games this season, and fully deserved to lift the cup. The game, like we all expected, was mostly one-sided, albeit Rooney's goal was very nice. I expected a whole lot more from Manchester United, but this just wasn't their night; they were heavily outplayed by a rampant Barcelona. They are literally unstoppable at this stage.

Congratulations Barcelona for this CL cup and thank you for showing us the best football performances ever.

No more football, by the way :( I'm not interested in international football as much as club ones. But oh well.

Edit: Yeah, the referee had his mistakes.

Years
That was painful to watch and not just as a Man Utd fan.

They just play the most annoying football.

Last five minutes were terrible as well, no-one even tried, everytime they just passed back to VDS.

Ref was pretty bad towards the end

They deserve it but they are so annoying to watch.

A brilliant performance from the superb Barcelona! It was one of their finest games this season, and fully deserved to lift the cup. The game, like we all expected, was mostly one-sided, albeit Rooney's goal was very nice. I expected a whole lot more from Manchester United, but this just wasn't their night; they were heavily outplayed by a rampant Barcelona. They are literally unstoppable at this stage.

Congratulations Barcelona for this CL cup and thank you for showing us the best football performances ever.

No more football, by the way :( I'm not interested in international football as much as club ones. But oh well.

It was a good performance but I just want it to be someone else now.

Its been pretty much three seasons of dominance (apart from one game with Inter) and I really want a more entertaining team to just beat them.

It'll be back in a few months and I think we Red Devils will be back with a vengeance (and a fair few new signings).

Years
I hate the fact that people are saying that Pep is a good manager but to tell you the truth he has the best side in the world so he is doing nothing special. Thats why I have to say my side Man U did well to reach the finals with a half as decent as Barca.

Ivysaur

Years
I hate the fact that people are saying that Pep is a good manager but to tell you the truth he has the best side in the world so he is doing nothing special. Thats why I have to say my side Man U did well to reach the finals with a half as decent as Barca.

Well, to win 10 trophies in 3 seasons, including 2 CL's and 3 leagues, you need something else than having the best side in the world- the year before Pep arrived, that same team lost to Manchester on the CL semifinals and ended up 18 points behind Madrid on the league, losing 4-1 at the Bernabéu.

So maybe he isn't the best thing since sliced bread, okay, but I'm also tired of people going all "I could win two CL's in three years if I were there too!". You can't really say Ferguson has a team full of third-class players either, it's not like the best team in the History of the English league, who have played 3 CL finals in 4 years, are some kind of underdogs.

Last edited:
Years

Well, to win 10 trophies in 3 seasons, including 2 CL's and 3 leagues, you need something else than having the best side in the world- the year before Pep arrived, that same team lost to Manchester on the CL semifinals and ended up 18 points behind Madrid on the league, losing 4-1 at the Bernabéu.

So maybe he isn't the best thing since sliced bread, okay, but I'm also tired of people going all "I could win two CL's in three years if I were there too!". You can't really say Ferguson has a team full of third-class players either, it's not like the best team in the History of the English league, who have played 3 CL finals in 4 years, are some kind of underdogs.

Messi and other players have developed a lot since 2008 though.

The only major thing Pep has done for the current team is buy Villa really. I'm not saying I could have won 2 CLs because I am just a random guy but I'm guessing most professional managers could have achieved a similar feat.

Years
Messi and other players have developed a lot since 2008 though.

The only major thing Pep has done for the current team is buy Villa really. I'm not saying I could have won 2 CLs because I am just a random guy but I'm guessing most professional managers could have achieved a similar feat.

I totally agree, Pep did make some changes in the first season when he sold ronaldinho and deco but to tell the truth all he did was got the best out of messi. Maybe i'm biased but I do believe that Sir Alex is a much bigger tactical genius and if he had that barca side he would probably go unbeaten for the season.

Years
I totally agree, Pep did make some changes in the first season when he sold ronaldinho and deco but to tell the truth all he did was got the best out of messi. Maybe i'm biased but I do believe that Sir Alex is a much bigger tactical genius and if he had that barca side he would probably go unbeaten for the season.

Just a bit late replying to this...

I'm not sure about unbeaten because obviously teams do have those off days but Guardiola isn't even close to comparison with Fergie.

Also, it looks like the transfers have really kicked off today.

Henderson -> Liverpool - £20m
Jones -> United - £16m

You have to wonder why both teams are willing to pay such extortionate amounts for English youngsters who haven't really proven themselves yet.

Years
Also, it looks like the transfers have really kicked off today.

Henderson -> Liverpool - £20m
Jones -> United - £16m

You have to wonder why both teams are willing to pay such extortionate amounts for English youngsters who haven't really proven themselves yet.

Was surprised that United signed Phil Jones especially since we already have Vidin Ferdinand Evans and Smalling but not surprised about the fees. English players are always over valued. Example of that Ozil went to Madrid for 15m and Henderson going to Liverpool for 20m but who is the better player.

But glad to see Man U unloading some players: Wes Brown, Darron Gibson and Oshea

Years
I don't think it's a good thing that O'Shea is going, he has been a good utility man and a good squad player for years.

Gibson could still come good but it's becoming increasingly unlikely so why not?

Brown never really came back from that major injury and I'd rather he left to give Evans, Smalling and now Jones a chance.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2012
Manchester United look busy in the transfer market this Summer. It is about time they invest in their team, even if it has to cost them. This also should be the case for Arsenal. Arsene Wenger is too cheap. He's been getting very young players to his team, without any experience whatsoever in major European competitions. It isn't bad, per se, but it's highly improbable for a team with an average age of 22.8 to really compete for any competition. Wenger always claims of a relatively small and stringent transfer budget; he's been qualifying for Champions League for years and being 2nd or 3rd in the Premier League. So, his claims are utterly spurious. He's been investing way too much in his youth system. Again, this is good for the future, but not enough for now.

United need a couple of midfielders to replace the aging Giggs and retired Scholes. And, more importantly, a goalkeeper. I haven't been following the transfer news much, but did De Gea sign any agreement with United? I also just saw something interesting, and hilarious.

Years
I don't think it's a good thing that O'Shea is going, he has been a good utility man and a good squad player for years.

Gibson could still come good but it's becoming increasingly unlikely so why not?

Brown never really came back from that major injury and I'd rather he left to give Evans, Smalling and now Jones a chance.

Oshea: Decent utility player but there are much better players like him out there seeing him on the field sometimes disappoints me since as a player he is so standard. Not a great crosser when at full back and not a great tackler.

Gibson: Could be a good player but not great its the same situation with Oshea. Gibson is very standard with every aspect of his football and the best quality he has is his long shot. I've been following the Man U youth team and there are many better young players in the youth system.

Brown: Injury really messed him up enough said.

United need a couple of midfielders to replace the aging Giggs and retired Scholes. And, more importantly, a goalkeeper. I haven't been following the transfer news much, but did De Gea sign any agreement with United? I also just saw something interesting, and hilarious.

The Kuszczak thing was really funny and yeah I thing we did sign De Gea but its not showing up on the website so I dont know

Years
De gea isn't on at the moment, his agent said he wanted to decide his future after the u21s champ.

The thing about O'shea is he is willing to be a squad player.

The Henderson and Jones transfers have really brought the age old discussion of overpriced English players back. I'm personally starting to think the big clubs just panic and try to force a good English player.

Last edited:
Years
I can't wait until the season begins! It feels like it's been gone forever. xD

I also can't wait for all the south coast derbys in the championship, it's going to be a cracker! COYS! (:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back