• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweet Dreams

[I]are made of these~[/I]
Years
Hi. *waves*

So, since I went on an extended hiatus over the past year and have only just come back, I've noticed an evolution of sorts in the rps. There is a certain preoccupation with levels and levelling that I swear wasn't around before. And the capture of wild Pokemon seems to be more strictly moderated, whereas before both these things were mainly left to the discretion of the RPers.

Does anyone know if this just naturally occurred, or are there some incidences behind this?

What do you usually look for in RPs?

I like an RP with an overall plot, and an interesting backstory. Generally I prefer original storylines or merely borrowed premises as opposed to plots that follow too closely with that of another series. I prefer being in situations where I have to cooperate with fellow RPers as opposed to competing against them, even in teams or groups. Personal conflict is yummy, of course, but structured competitiveness isn't my cup of tea. (Probably because I let myself lose a lot... heh.)

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Oh wow...how long have you been gone? Welcome back!

Not sure how roleplays worked back in the past since I joined this past May, so the whole "leveling up and Pokemon catching" thing isn't as new to me. xD I'm very tempted to research the whole section for old roleplays. lol

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
There are so many RPs you can find in the old part of the section that you would never see slipping through moderation these days, Meg xD They sure did seem to have fun, though. Dem one-liners.

Anyways, welcome back Sweet_Dreams. I think I've seen you RPing here before.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
So, are we only interested in Pokemon rpg's here?

Welcome to PC, Sarah! No, we usually have more Pokémon RPs than non-pokémon, but we always have some non-pokémon RPs running and we are always interested in more of them! Other franchises, genres and even original worlds or games are welcome.

Sweet Dreams

Years
Hi, Sarah! No, some of the best RP premises I'd participated in were ones that had nothing to do with Pokemon. The only problem was that there were fewer interested RPers.

Speaking of which, did the whole "Other RP" section just disappear? Gosh, this is disconcerting.

You do seem familiar, Chibi Pelippers (or whatever everyone else calls you :P). Darn my faulty memory.

Khawill

<3
Years
Red, every time I read you name I learn something new. Sweet just made me realize that the last word was pelippers lol. I didn't notice chibi until a few weeks ago.

Also, Sarah there are a few RPs that are not Pokemon. From what I understand they were separated before but sometime before I joined, the two sections (Pokemon RPs and other RPs) were merged.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Speaking of which, did the whole "Other RP" section just disappear? Gosh, this is disconcerting.
Oh, you've been gone so long that you didn't know that? O.o I took it away when I was the mod because (as I remember it) there were at most a couple of hardly active RPs there over the course of several months. The Roleplay Corner works really well now with pokémon and "other" RPs mixing in the main forum. Actually I think we see more "other" RPs now than we did back then, because now they get as much attention as the pokémon oriented ones instead of being stuffed into some subforum.

@ Khawill... you could have just read my whole username instead of just glancing :p

Khawill

<3
Years
Lol I don't read so well, I have most words memorized so I can look at a word and recognize it. If it is spelled oddly or very closely to another word then I will very likely correct it in my mind and not consciously notice it.

I have just recently sounding out every word I think is spelled oddly, as I remember it I never actually sounded out words, I could usually pronounce it right at a glance.

Sweet Dreams

Years
Well, if it makes you feel any better, Khawill, I keep thinking your name is K(h)awaii at first glance. XD

Right, so people call you Red. That... seems kinda obvious now. :P I did say I was gone for over a year. Which, you know. Kind of a long time, yes.

Yeah, the Other RP section was a lot less active, and RPs died there fairly quickly. Sad, because like I said, they had fantastic potential. It probably is for the best that you merged them, except it's difficult to tell which ones are Pokemon, which ones are not, and which ones are crossovers. Small price to pay. ^^

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Yeah, I know, that's the price to pay. Prefixes is an idea to consider, perhaps, but I honestly think it's a bit redundant. For most RPs, the beginning of the first post or even the title makes it pretty clear if it's a pokémon RP or not :]

Khawill

<3
Years
Lol so many people leave misread my real name that I can hardly blame you (I usually write my last name or some sort of symbol to indicate it is my paper during the first weeks of school, also my name is always last on the roster thus I have no need to correct a sub since I can instantly point my name out)

Well my RP is nonpokemon (in my sig) Swiftsign has a Sword art one, I mean most RPs with a Pokemon theme have something Pokemon related in the title, (Hoenn Reburst, Pokemon Fallout, Pokemon: Revolution, Pokemon: The walking dead) and ones based off of other tv shows have something related to that show in their title (Zelda dimensional rift, Sword art online: Infinity Edition)

Admittedly some do not in their title (Skies of Fruitation, CHECKMATE, years of lies, Game of luck) a quick glance at their first post gives a good idea as to whether Pokemon, original, or other.

A quick scan through the most recent RPs on the lounge area,
there are
3 active (in the last month) "original" RPs (Not based on a show/game)
4 active based on nonpokemon shows/games
4 active crossovers
A load of active original RPs based on the Pokemon world or Pokemon.
I may have missed a few, don't shoot me lol

Sweet Dreams

Years
Like I said, the name thing isn't too great an inconvenience. It's pretty fun reading through the RPs anyway. ^^

Which reminds me... I don't remember there being so many "competitive" RPs before. Some of them seem like they have fantastic, well, everything. Except I really prefer relationship building as opposed to competing. I level-grind enough in the games already, let alone in all these new-fangled RPs.

Anyway, this is just me getting used to feeling like a newbie again. XD I'm sure it'll go away soon.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Does the I N N O C E N C E RP count as competitive? I just kind of wanted it to be casual yet.. adventurous. :3

I do prefer relationship building myself.

Sweet Dreams

Years
To me, it doesn't really. When I use the term "competitive" I basically mean competing player vs player, not player(s) vs NPC. So in I N N O C E N C E we get a choice as to whether we're going to work together to beat X or whether our relationships fall apart and we strike off on our own.

Whereas in some other RPs you're required to form teams or groups or just single-handedly compete with all the other RPers by battling. It's really a matter of preference, but I do prefer overarching plots to "battle each other and win" formulas. It can get kinda blurry sometimes, considering the wide range of RPs available. I like what I like, you know?

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
Hi everyone. I've been looking around this area and think I would like to try out my hand at role playing. The thing is, I don't know where or how to start and I don't have any experience in these type of things. Anyone out here able to help? Thanks.

Sweet Dreams

Years
Well, personally I started with the rules. XP I'm a little do-gooder, me.

What kind of RP are you interested in? It's probably easier to start off with a brand new one as opposed to joining one of the ongoing sandbox types, since it means you've got less to catch up on. But if you've got the time... *shrugs*

I don't know how familiar you are with the process, so I'm going to start from scratch. Basically, just browse around the RP forum and see what catches your eye. Don't forget to check the Out Of Character thread, since that's where they generally post the RP first and get sign ups. This is my preferred method, since it shows the most recent threads, which usually means the newest or most active RPs. You can always look through this discussion thread, because people sometimes advertise new RPs here.

Make sure to read the rules (forum rules and specific RP rules) and know what kind of RP you're getting into, of course. Then you create (or recycle, with some changes) a sign up, commonly referred to as an SU. If it's up to par and doesn't conflict with the RP or Game Master's (person who creates/hosts the RP) wishes, then you will be accepted.

Basically: be polite, follow the rules, avoid Mary Sues/Gary Stus, don't bunny (control another person's character), don't godmod (make your own character uber and invincible), always allow the other person the chance to evade/counterattack in a Pokemon battle, and have fun.

Posts should be at the very least "four lines". Preferably somewhere over that. There's usually both an IC (in character) and OOC (out of character) thread. IC you RP, OOC you can chat with fellow RPers.

Have I missed anything?

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
Spoiler:

I don't really know what I'm interested in. Whatever that's the latest is fine with me. I'd rather join in one of the 'sandbox types' as I'm not confident with the concept of this whole thing yet. I've already read through the rules in the New People thread, so I know more or less on what to do and what not to do. :) Um, I don't think you've missed out on anything..? Thank you very much! I'll see what I can do, and will get back to you if I have any questions/doubts.

Sweet Dreams

Years
Don't worry, you gain experience by RPing. I suggested a new RP because in an already established RP you run the risk of intruding on already established relationships and customs, whereas in a new RP you get to see them develop and possibly participate in the process.

Sandbox types are good for exploration, but there's little to really guide you. You have to learn to make things happen yourself, so you can't really make a loner sulk-by-myself character because then nothing will happen to you. On the other hand, with a plot-based RP there's a direction that the RP is definitely moving toward, but you need to learn to go with the flow and not go against the story.

It's not as difficult as it sounds. It comes pretty naturally to a lot of people. And keep in mind that it's not strictly Column A or Column B; there are a billion shades in between. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back