• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Emerald Decapitalization Patch (D/L Link Fixed)

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
Pokemon Emerald Decapitalization Patch Ver3.0​

First of all, thanks goes out to dkp for doing 90% of the decap patch (original post can be found here).

I figured I'd create a thread for this rather than post it in the unreplied new resources thread because, well, it's more of an in-development patch since it's not 100% complete.

The file download will be available as an attachment to this post. In this updated version I fixed the Yes/No box. Previously in dkp's patch, it was Yes / NO. So there's that.

Also dkp mentioned:
*Electrode misspelled Electrobe
*Gulpin is Guplin
*Milk Drink is Milk Drick.

Well those are fixed as well.
As dkp has said, he doesn't require credits for this patch and neither do I.

Version 2.0 Update

So I updated about 90 entries for you guys. Download from the attachment below. Here is the ini offsets if you want to change them yourselves. This fits for any BPEE A-text Ini.

Some words that were updated: Sting Shot, Flase Fire, KIM, IRIS, POKeMON, StoneS, HallS, BattleS, PRETTY PETAL, TIPS, BREEDER, SAFFRON City, DEWFORD TREND-WATCHER NETWORK, HEX Maniac, Fallarbor Town THROUGH HERE, THEODORE, Genitic, CottonWeed, SuperPower, IceBerg, Lightningrod, Compoundeyes, Sky uppercut, Softboiled, Selfdestruct, Pin Missle, Hairy Bugs, Bugstype.
Spoiler:

Version 2.5 Update

Updated "Bug " Pokedex entry to "Bug"
Updated CONTINUE

Version 3.0 Update

Updated a bug about the Bug-type saying "Bug Ghost"
Updated Pokémon SKILLS
Updated CONTEST Moves
Updated "Ups Bugsmoves in a pinch." --> "Ups Bug moves in a pinch."

DOWNLOAD LINK: Click me

Attachments

• Pokemon Emerald Decap Patch 3.0.ips
    176.3 KB · Views: 369
Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen May 8, 2023
First reply? Wow, this is pretty nice. I think I'll try this out for my hack, but are there any problems or conflicts with other patches?

Le pug

Years
First reply? Wow, this is pretty nice. I think I'll try this out for my hack, but are there any problems or conflicts with other patches?

I've used it with multiple other patches, it shouldn't affect anything else it's just text edits.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen May 8, 2023
I've used it with multiple other patches, it shouldn't affect anything else it's just text edits.
That's what I assumed, but just making sure. This is really convenient, considering only FireRed had a decap ROM base before. Granted, it also has new attacks and the Fairy-type, but that doesn't make this patch any less useful. Cool, thanks!

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen May 3, 2022
Oh hey, nice to see this back!

In my experience working with the original patch for a while (by the way, since someone asked this never causes conflict with any other patches unless different Pokemon/Ability names are involved... and basically their names are just reverted back), here are a few other things. Consider it my personal buglist, just to get everything out there:

-Bug-Type in a lot of cases is BugsType for some reason, and a few others are "Bugs." It goes as far as Swarm's description having a typo. This actually freezes the game whenever you catch a Weedle unless you correct the Pokedex species, because it says "Hairy Bugs" which is one space off and causes a text overflow.

-Flash Fire, Sky Uppercut, and Pin Missile are the move/ability names I know of that have typos.

-Mewtwo's species is misspelled, there's also a couple of weird things looking at species names: for example "IceBerg" when Iceberg is one word (Other possible examples are CottonWeed and SuperPower. A very minor nitpick I know, but these felt really odd to me personally).

-Some Battle Frontier strings, Shoal Shell guy, some random signs, and Trace's in-battle text have a few other capitalization errors.

-dkp mentioned corruption happening, but I've never seen the patch causing this.

Other than that from my experience, it's perfect!

Last edited:

Shufflejoy

Tutturu!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 13, 2015
Minor thing, String Shot is misspelled as Sting Shot. Great patch, thanks!

Queen Azura

Mistress of Midnight
Years
Just wanted to say thanks to both of you for working on this patch! Anything that makes hacking Emerald easier is a great asset to everyone.

Le pug

Years
Hello everyone, I have an updated version here with roughly 92 new entries edited! Below I have attached the file and I'll put it in the main post also. Also, below is the ini text if you just wanna copy and paste it into an A-text ini and edit yourself. Hope this helps!

Sorry for the horrible names LOL.
Spoiler:

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen May 3, 2022
Thanks a bunch for this update. I've been restarting an Emerald project from scratch, and this makes it SO much better than the last patch! No more typos, no more accidents.

A+ fix, highly recommended. Would patch again.

EDIT: Hold on, there's still a couple fixes about.

-Weedle's Pokedex species, even though it isn't Hairy Bugs anymore, has some garbage text after it. This at least appears in YAPE, and I'm not sure why.

-Castform is misspelled as Castfrom.
-Pin Missile is PinMissile and String Shot is StringShot. Any reason for this?

Other than that, the progress here is amazing.

Last edited:

JordanB500

Former Pokemon League Champion
Years
about what percentage would you say is done so far and will there be a 100% version anytime?

i tried to manually remove caps from all the dialogue in the game and so far its has only served to corrupt my hack rom as in scripts malfunctioning icons appearing distorted and music using incorrect instruments for a full section of the audio and sometimes creating an error in the said scripts

im in no hurry just curious

Le pug

Years
about what percentage would you say is done so far and will there be a 100% version anytime?

i tried to manually remove caps from all the dialogue in the game and so far its has only served to corrupt my hack rom as in scripts malfunctioning icons appearing distorted and music using incorrect instruments for a full section of the audio and sometimes creating an error in the said scripts

im in no hurry just curious

Well it's pretty much 99% right now. Don't know if it'll ever be 100% because I only find the capitalized stuff through searching and I can't find anything

JordanB500

Years
ty now may i ask what does the decap patch cover

dialogue, item names, town, route names etc Pokemon names, and Menu names(New Game/Continue Options/Mystery gift and the BOY/GIRL option) if possible

Le pug

Years
ty now may i ask what does the decap patch cover

dialogue, item names, town, route names etc Pokemon names, and Menu names(New Game/Continue Options/Mystery gift and the BOY/GIRL option) if possible

Yes it covers all of this, except I just found that CONTINUE isn't covered so I'll be updating that with a few other things here in a bit

JordanB500

Years
are there any rombases that use this decap patch or any for emerald if you know where i can find some id appreciate it

Edit: i found a bug in the decap patch for emerald
b8oapg.jpg

might wanna fix that

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen today
Weedle's Pokedex species, even though it isn't Hairy Bugs anymore, has some garbage text after it. This at least appears in YAPE, and I'm not sure why.
The string still isn't properly terminated - I'm guessing Le Pug solved the problem by find-and-replacing "Bugs" with "Bug " and didn't test their work afterwards. Changing 0x56B759 to FF fixes it.

Le pug

Years
are there any rombases that use this decap patch or any for emerald if you know where i can find some id appreciate it

Edit: i found a bug in the decap patch for emerald
b8oapg.jpg

might wanna fix that

yPP4myH.png

whatever the problem was, it's fixed now.

I'm using a Emerald with Fairy-type patch. It will conflict with the decap patch ?

No this won't. This doesn't change any bytes besides the bytes already used for the words that are capitalized. Super safe.

The string still isn't properly terminated - I'm guessing Le Pug solved the problem by find-and-replacing "Bugs" with "Bug " and didn't test their work afterwards. Changing 0x56B759 to FF fixes it.

Thanks, I was gone for 3 months on a deployment but I have added that to the newest version. Uploading now, thanks for the notice.

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen May 3, 2022
I checked mine out, it uses the old patch. The above bug wasn't there. Huh. o.O

If you don't mind me asking, where was Continue decapitalized? I want to update mine manually.

Le pug

Years
I checked mine out, it uses the old patch. The above bug wasn't there. Huh. o.O

If you don't mind me asking, where was Continue decapitalized? I want to update mine manually.

It's the only capitalized version of CONTINUE and it's for when you are playing your game and you are going to continue from your save and it says the option Continue or New Game or Option.
If you're looking for the offset just look in the hex editor for hex bytes BD C9 C8 CE C3 C8 CF BF and replace with BD E3 E2 E8 DD E2 E9 D9.

Back