• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Shiny Hunter Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
So sorry I haven't posted since I've joined! I was super busy hunting and with school and family stuff going on - I won't really have much time to post in this thread, but I'll try and keep up.

As for the HGSS thing, I'll be entering it as Heartgold please, as I found the following on there. I am using both to get a shiny before every gym, but hopefully I should get at least one shiny on that game before the 4th/8th gym!

And, to finish off, I recently found my first shiny for this challenge - a shiny Totodile called Jaws! I won't post the whole story here, but if you want to read about it it is in the SHC.

Thanks, good luck everyone!^^

Janske

Shinyhunter - Trance for life
Years
So sorry I haven't posted since I've joined! I was super busy hunting and with school and family stuff going on - I won't really have much time to post in this thread, but I'll try and keep up.

As for the HGSS thing, I'll be entering it as Heartgold please, as I found the following on there. I am using both to get a shiny before every gym, but hopefully I should get at least one shiny on that game before the 4th/8th gym!

And, to finish off, I recently found my first shiny for this challenge - a shiny Totodile called Jaws! I won't post the whole story here, but if you want to read about it it is in the SHC.

Thanks, good luck everyone!^^

No problem haha :D and gratz again :D! I will try tomorrow to do another 500 RE and hope to find it at leastttt before 8k RE because I am up to 7k RE and nothing to show for lol. Please if it shines, don't be a spearow again xD. Also major thanks for making this awesome signature card. I simply love it lol. Hopefully you will need to update it soon because I found another shiny haha, but I doubt it will happen lol.

@ Everyone good luck to you guys and I hope you will post once in a while, even if you aren't so lucky lol.

SoulSilver10112

George the Poliwag
Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2013
I hope you do not mind, but I would like to switch games from Diamond to Soulsilver. (Much easier to reset, no text for picking a starter, and I can see if any of the starters are shiny without waiting.) Also, a question: Can you trade in two Pokemon and breed them in the game via Masuda methood to recieve a shiny?

Last edited:

Kirozane

Frolic and fun~
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 12, 2023
You know what? I accept this challenge! It sounds an awful lot like one I did in HG a whiiiiile back where I got 9 shinies....

I'll be using platinum.

I'm also taking on the latter two rules. I will SR all stationaries (excluding roamers) and gift pokemon (Including the eggs I think) and will finish the game with a full team of shinies.

Janske

Years
I hope you do not mind, but I would like to switch games from Diamond to Soulsilver. (Much easier to reset, no text for picking a starter, and I can see if any of the starters are shiny without waiting.) Also, a question: Can you trade in two Pokemon and breed them in the game via Masuda methood to recieve a shiny?

Ok I read that wrongly haha, yes you are allowed to do so soulsilver. Look at it this way, sure the chance is 1/2046 in gen IV. But the breeding process just takes so much longer that it is at least worth the amount of time/trouble you get yourself into to get a shiny. (Oh and you never replied on my VM though haha :D)

PS: 7700 RE for nidoran and nothing pff, sad days xD.

Welcome Kirozane, hope you will enjoy the challenge as much as we do :D!

Last edited:

fishyfins

Reality Sculptor
Years
As said in the Shiny Hunters Club, ive just started a badgequest on SS, so i would like to sign up

username: Fishyfins
Game: Soul Silver

However, i will be playing a little more hardcore. I will be SRing for a starter, and then getting one shiny before every gym, and the elite 4. so with the starter, 8 gyms, and then the E4, ill have 10 shinies by the end. or thats the plan anyway.

Also, it goes against the grain, but i wont be using my shinies in the game itself. the challenge for me is in finding and catching them, and i have this thing where i hate using shinies i catch, cos i just like them "in as found condition" so to speak. So ill still have them, just not using them XD Is this acceptable?

Kitori

[FONT=impact][COLOR=#000000][I][b] V A L K Y R I E
Years
@TSE: Congrats on the shiny totodile! :D

@SoulSilver10112: Sure, I'll change your challenge info. ^_^ I think that trading in pokemon to breed via madusa method would be acceptable, as long as you're doing the breeding in the game you're doing the challenge on. If anyone else has a different opinion, let me know.

@Kirozane: Welcome! I'll add you to the challenge. Good luck!

@fishyfins: That's kind of a hard question for me! I think it kind of goes against the main rule of the challenge... which is not only having to find the shiny pokemon before continuing, but also not really being able to choose your team -- do you have a way to clone the shiny pokemon so you don't have to use the originals? If not, what if you had to catch a regular pokemon of the shiny species and play with that in replacement of the shiny? Like if you caught a shiny pidgey, you would catch a regular pidgey to replace it in your team. Let me know what you think! I'll add you to to the challenge.

As for me, still on vacation so I'll continue to be scarce until next week but I've got a ton of SRs done on my challenge. I stopped counting because I forgot my calculator at home. u_u; But maybe I'll get my starter before I go home!~

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I'll accept the challenge as well. I will not use anything other than MM maybe. I don't know yet. Just hope I don't forget it. This sounds a bit hard and fun.

Username: Iceman3317
Game: HeartGold.

Last edited:

SoulSilver10112

George the Poliwag
Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2013
So far, no luck on the shiny starter. It has been roughly 6 hours of resetting, at 5 resets a minute.

Paulthagerous

Master of the Dragonites
Years
I will try this one out. I am new to these forums so go easy on me if I make an error in my posting:

Username: Paulthagerous
Game: Soul Silver

I will keep you all updated as I go along. I have never SR'd for a shiny before so this should be interesting :)

[edit - will use the default rules (1 starter, one by 4th gym, one by 8th gym. Will also catch the Shiny Gyarados, but won't count it as one of my captures. Not sure If I will use that one, might depend if my other 2 are completely useless or not.]
[edit 2 - changing to Soul Silver from Heart Gold]

Last edited:

Kitori

Years
I've updated the challenger's list! I don't think I've missed anyone but let me know if you're not on it or you've gotten a shiny or badge that I haven't updated yet! :]

No luck on my starter still! I am back home now which could be a good thing or a bad thing for my challenge. xD No school but I still have work and my business to worry about. I've made shiny hunting my before-bed not-quite-sleepy-yet activity, though so I've gotten at least a half hour of SRing in a night if not more throughout the day. :3

Janske

Years
Wow a lot of people added in this challenge! Sweet! haha xD. All of you guys make me want to restart Soul Silver so badly you don't even know haha xD.

Anyway sry I didn't post so much lol, I had my birthday and all other activities going on lol. Luckily now that is behind me and can hunt a bit more;)!

9500 RE for nidoran and nothing grr, makes me want to give it up and go on haha. Maybe try 2 games at once, I will decide later on lol.

Anyway great to see you back Kitori!! Hope ou had a great holiday;)! I really do wanne see those pics of the anime convention though:O! I'm still jealous lol xD

Paulthagerous

Master of the Dragonites
Years
Well, call it beginner's luck but after 565 SR's I got this wonderful guy:

(Cyndaquil, not allowed to post a URL link to my picture as I am so new. See in my signature!)

Well, my calculator said 565 but I am still getting used to this whole thing, so my guess is more like 700ish. Either way, I am happy :) Wasn't sure if I wanted him or Totodile, Chikorita was my clear last choice though.

Have now beaten the first gym, and on my way down to the second. Not sure who/where I want my second shiny, but I have already thought about the 3rd :)

Do you guys reckon using Red Gyarados would be 'cheating'? I still haven't decided myself...

[edit] So for my number 2 I am hitting the game corner - buy 5 and check them all, then SR. Pretty quick way to do it. Now up to 110 SR's so far, meaning 550 Pokemon seen. I have 3 badges now.

Last edited:

fishyfins

Reality Sculptor
Years
@fishyfins: That's kind of a hard question for me! I think it kind of goes against the main rule of the challenge... which is not only having to find the shiny pokemon before continuing, but also not really being able to choose your team -- do you have a way to clone the shiny pokemon so you don't have to use the originals? If not, what if you had to catch a regular pokemon of the shiny species and play with that in replacement of the shiny? Like if you caught a shiny pidgey, you would catch a regular pidgey to replace it in your team. Let me know what you think! I'll add you to to the challenge.

If i can find a way to clone, then thats perfectly acceptable to me :) ill see what i can do when i get my shiny chikorita. currently on 1820SRs (5460 starters seen) and no sign of it.

Paulthagerous

Master of the Dragonites
Years
If i can find a way to clone, then thats perfectly acceptable to me :) ill see what i can do when i get my shiny chikorita. currently on 1820SRs (5460 starters seen) and no sign of it.

Just out of interest, what would you do if one of the others were shiny? Do you bother checking?

I simply went with whatever turned up, in my case it was one of the 2 I wanted.

Anyway, to solve your dilemma, if you found a shiny Chikorita maybe you could trade it off to another game, then start a new game and take a normal Chikorita. When you find your next shiny (say a Mareep), then as suggested before you box that Mareep and catch a non-shiny one to take its place?

I personally like to raise my shinies to lvl 100, but I can understand people wanting to keep them 'as is'.

fishyfins

Reality Sculptor
Years
Just out of interest, what would you do if one of the others were shiny? Do you bother checking?

I simply went with whatever turned up, in my case it was one of the 2 I wanted.

Anyway, to solve your dilemma, if you found a shiny Chikorita maybe you could trade it off to another game, then start a new game and take a normal Chikorita. When you find your next shiny (say a Mareep), then as suggested before you box that Mareep and catch a non-shiny one to take its place?

I personally like to raise my shinies to lvl 100, but I can understand people wanting to keep them 'as is'.

I check them all. i had a shiny Totodile at 220 or something SRs (cant remember exactly, its in my sig pic). i simply transfered it to my diamond and started again. I just really want Chikorita, so wont start this challenge properly till i have it XD

I like the idea of cloning better, because that way i get to use the shiny in game. however, if i cant work out how to do it, then i will go with the other option, and catch a non-shiny version of the poke to use :)

i just crossed 2000SRs

Paulthagerous

Master of the Dragonites
Years
I like the idea of cloning better, because that way i get to use the shiny in game. however, if i cant work out how to do it, then i will go with the other option, and catch a non-shiny version of the poke to use :)

i just crossed 2000SRs

Otherwise you could hack one on your PC and transfer to your game cartridge. It would get boosted though :(

Last edited:

fishyfins

Reality Sculptor
Years
Otherwise you could hack one on your PC and transfer to your game cartridge. It would get boosted though :(

yeah, i wouldnt wanna benefit from it, cos i really dislike cheating. im fine with the idea of cloning, as im keeping the originals, and then afterwards, ill probably delete the clones. i also dont really know much about hacking (i assume you mean pokesav and stuff), so it would probably take a long time to do it for me XD

Paulthagerous

Master of the Dragonites
Years
yeah, i wouldnt wanna benefit from it, cos i really dislike cheating. im fine with the idea of cloning, as im keeping the originals, and then afterwards, ill probably delete the clones. i also dont really know much about hacking (i assume you mean pokesav and stuff), so it would probably take a long time to do it for me XD

I would be more than happy to make one and send it over to you via normal trade (once you have one yourself of course).

On an unrelated note, up to 131 SR for my 2nd pokemon.

Kitori

Years
Still no chimchar. u___u; I have no idea how many hours I've put in so far, hopefully it will come up soon! I'm kind of going crazy not having a number to go off of, haha. I'll definitely have to count for my next shiny. Good luck on your hunts, everyone!

@Paulthagerous: I don't think using red gyarados in HG/SS is cheating... I'm not sure I would count it as one of the 3, though for the main challenge. I wont count it out, though... I'll let people decide for themselves.

Paulthagerous asked me to post a picture of his shiny cyndaquil for him~
Here it is:
Spoiler:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back