• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

FireRed hack: Pokémon DarkViolet (Full Version Released)

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I in the original on the patch,but to open the game is a white screen,What is the reason?
Well you've hardly given any information. All I can say is make sure your save type is 128k, and make sure you're patching to a FireRed ROM.

The alpha was excellent. The battle backgrounds, hp bar, and text box are all very pleasing to the eye. Not to the mention your sprites from the 64x64 project. The only real problem I have is with the tree. It looks...weird, but that's your choice. Other than that well done. :)
Thank you.

Regardless, going through the Forest with the rival's theme rocked!
mehhhh forget about that glitch!!!!

The trainer theme is cool too! <3
Thank you.

wLMod.jpg

This doesn't look right, is that suppose to happen?
No, it's not. I guess I'll release an Alpha 1.1 to address minor issues once I get more feedback.

Also, The Beta 1 will be eaasy as pie, now that I've got an uber team in line already x3
Actually that won't be possible because for Beta 1, I've already made changes that will render save files from the Alpha incompatible (in the alpha, I did a really cheap solution to the trainer battle music glitch, and thus it became separate from my main file. In my main file, I've done a more stable fix that involves variables, hence why save files won't be compatible). The only reason why I included the "special prize" at the end is so people can see some of the Gen IV/Gen V/custom moves I've inserted by leveling up the Pokemon.

And I'm putting effort to make sure the difficulty is balanced, I would be very disappointed if people cheat in some Rare Candies and played through the game like that -_-

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Well you've hardly given any information. All I can say is make sure your save type is 128k, and make sure you're patching to a FireRed ROM.

Thank you.

mehhhh forget about that glitch!!!!

Thank you.

No, it's not. I guess I'll release an Alpha 1.1 to address minor issues once I get more feedback.

Actually that won't be possible because for Beta 1, I've already made changes that will render save files from the Alpha incompatible (in the alpha, I did a really cheap solution to the trainer battle music glitch, and thus it became separate from my main file. In my main file, I've done a more stable fix that involves variables, hence why save files won't be compatible). The only reason why I included the "special prize" at the end is so people can see some of the Gen IV/Gen V/custom moves I've inserted by leveling up the Pokemon.

And I'm putting effort to make sure the difficulty is balanced, I would be very disappointed if people cheat in some Rare Candies and played through the game like that -_-

I wasn't gonna use them anyway.
Would of started new game, there's most likely bound to be some form of change here or there.
Also, my girlfriend played the hack too, she couldn't get enough of the Mother music and the emulators in Green's Room. x3

She also asks, are you fan of the series? obviously you are.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Also, my girlfriend played the hack too, she couldn't get enough of the Mother music and the emulators in Green's Room. x3
YESYESYESYESYES THANK GOD!!!!!!!!! I was worried that no one would recognize the Mother music quote I put into Red/Green's theme!

She also asks, are you fan of the series? obviously you are.
Yes, I am a huge fan of the Mother series, and I have played through all 3 games. When I was writing the story for DarkViolet, I was playing through Mother 2 (aka EarthBound), and finished the script by the time I was done with Mother 3, so those games rather not-so-happy atmosphere definitely had an influence on the new plot.

Also, I aim for DarkViolet's difficulty to be on par with Mother 2 and Mother 3. Not Mother 1, since that's ridiculously hard (which is pretty common for a NES JRPG) XD. I realized when playing through the Mother series that the Pokemon games have such low difficulty, and that the Mother games proved that its possible to have a higher difficulty without having the game considered broken (although Mother 1 can be argued by many as broken XD)

That's another reason why I don't want people cheating in future betas, because I'm putting effort into balancing the difficulty so that its harder than the average Pokemon game, but its not broken either.

Don't worry, this game will be easier than Mother 1, but on-par with Mother 2 & 3, and B2/W2 Challenge Mode.

metalflygon08

BIG PECKS
Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2016
Amazing, you are not allowed to quit this hack, ever, we will hunt you down lol.

One quip though, the battles at the start of the game, maybe have like 2 potions available? I severly struggled through them (save states to the rescue!) Charmander can't do squat to squirtle.

In all honesty though, I think my charmander has crap IVs.

Also, Fire Fang's animation, maybe instead of ember, the flames from the end animation of Flame Wheel? (the spreading flame burst) Speaking of Flame Burst, wouldn't the fire from Dragon Rage work better than ember too (the large fire ball launched before the eruptions)

Oh and a movement error!
The last set of <->steps before you leave viridian forest, you can walk down off of them (it's the steps that lead to the last item)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Uploaded final Alpha revision. It contains the following changes:
*Your PC now contains 3 Sitrus Berries at the start of the game, which will make the initial battles a bit easier, especially for Charmander people (the main problem was that Charmander became screwed since I updated the attacks to Gen V standard, meaning that Bulbasaur and Squirtle now have 50 power Tackle, while Charmander is stuck with 40 power Scratch. This wasn't a problem in the Unova games because all the Unova starters had Tackle. But I'm basing my movesets closely on B2/W2, and I'm afraid Charmander will be stuck with Scratch).
*Missing signpost on Route 22 added
*Viridian Forest movement permissions edited to remove all tile-related glitches

Check the first post for this final Alpha download.

Beta 1 will have a bit more changes to Viridian Forest, as I just checked on my HeartGold version that it has flowers, which will be added for Beta 1.

One quip though, the battles at the start of the game, maybe have like 2 potions available? I severly struggled through them (save states to the rescue!) Charmander can't do squat to squirtle.
I think 3 Sitrus Berries in today's update will be enough :)

Also, Fire Fang's animation, maybe instead of ember, the flames from the end animation of Flame Wheel? (the spreading flame burst) Speaking of Flame Burst, wouldn't the fire from Dragon Rage work better than ember too (the large fire ball launched before the eruptions)
The problem with that is that Dragon Rage and Flame Burst would have the exact same animation, and I don't want 2 moves having the exact same animation.

Oh and a movement error!
The last set of <->steps before you leave viridian forest, you can walk down off of them (it's the steps that lead to the last item)
Fixed with today's update :)

metalflygon08

BIG PECKS
Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2016
I meant like the Dragon rage fireball, then the self-destruct explosions, it would look the closest to Flame Burst

(so Launch fire ball, then play boom booms, not using the mini eruptions from Dragon Rage)

Cinnabar

Fenniken is godly.
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
Wow, I just realized the use of Pollyanna in Green's theme. I can't explain it, but it fits her very well.

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 10, 2020
I saw it finally had a release by the time I got out of the hospital, I was so exicited to play this! Glad I wasn't wrong.

Played through the alpha, it was a decent challenge. That is very refreshing, it felt like a modern Pokémon game while bringing back some of the feeling of Red/Blue that FR/LG missed. I was so happy to see all 3 trainers be used this time, the music being re-done or having the key changed back to the original one was refreshing. Never hated FR/LG's but, I like the tone and pitch of the original better, there were some awkward key changes in that one. The RSE/HGSS graphic fusion is awesome! This truly feels like a new Pokémon game and the palletes for the Pokémon being the same as the Sugimori art is a nice touch as well! Very professional presentation, will look forward to this being finished.

My team at the end of the alpha was: Charmeleon Lv. 16 and Murkrow Lv. 7.

I know you have your own canon with this game, but, I could totally see Kamon being in this game while still fitting into the actual canon. He simply discarded the Pokémon after the game and wanted to try and cut all ties with Giovanni, haha.

Once this is completed, this may be the definitive Kanto, Pokémon game.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I saw it finally had a release by the time I got out I was so exicited to play this! Glad I wasn't wrong.

Played through the alpha, it was a decent challenge. That is very refreshing, it felt like a modern Pokémon game while bringing back some of the feeling of Red/Blue that FR/LG missed.
That is awesome to hear. My goal is to create a modern Pokemon game taking place in Kanto, and so I'm glad I've achieved that effect.

I was so happy to see all 3 trainers be used this time, the music being re-done or having the key changed back to the original one was refreshing. Never hated FR/LG's but, I like the tone and pitch of the original better, there were some awkward key changes in that one.
I agree with you 100%. I always thought FR/LG's music is weird, and created a completely different atmosphere to Kanto that wasn't exactly better than the atmosphere of the original music. There will be very few songs that won't change from FR/LG, the only ones I'm re-using are the few FR/LG songs that they didn't change the key, such as Celadon City.

The RSE/HGSS graphic fusion is awesome! This truly feels like a new Pokémon game and the palletes for the Pokémon being the same as the Sugimori art is a nice touch as well! Very professional presentation, will look forward to this being finished.
Thank you! My goal is to have R/S/E-style graphics (idgaf what others think, I've fallen in love with R/S/E style) but with all the building designs and map layouts the same as HG/SS's Kanto; except Mt. Moon will be nothing like HG/SS, and Route 23 will be nothing like HG/SS.

My team at the end of the alpha was: Charmeleon Lv. 16 and Murkrow Lv. 7.
Interesting... did you use Murkrow at all or did you just really like training Charmander? When I played through my alpha, I finished with Lv13 Charmander, Lv11 Pidgey, and Lv12 Nidoran.

You see, I don't have all of the Gym Leaders & Elite Four's levels planned out yet, I've only decided their Pokemon. I decided that I will plan out their levels as I make progress with the hack, since that would be the best way to balance the difficulty. I was planning on having Brock top out at Lv15 or Lv16, and it kinda worries me if people are reaching Lv16 already by the end of Viridian Forest. But then again, it appears you only trained Charmander, so I guess it doesn't matter.

I know you have your own canon with this game, but, I could totally see Kamon being in this game while still fitting into the actual canon. He simply discarded the Pokémon after the game and wanted to try and cut all ties with Giovanni, haha.
Well...that is kinda what will happen. Don't worry, I have everything all planned out, and there will be an explanation as to why he loses all of his Pokemon in DarkViolet's planned sequel, Pokemon DarkCrystal.

Once this is completed, this may be the definitive Kanto, Pokémon game.
Thank you :) That's my goal, really

What gave me the idea of putting Kamon in Kanto is the HG/SS Celebi event, which heavily hints that Kamon was in Kanto 3 years prior to HG/SS. I thought I should expand on Kamon and Giovanni's past, and that's what I'm going to do in DarkViolet.

EDIT: Now I'm not one for putting out spoilers, but I'm just going to throw this out there.
http://youtu.be/qyQGjPO_47w?t=1m19s
The Celebi event from HG/SS will also be in DarkViolet. The difference is that in HG/SS, you're going back in time to see the event, but in DarkViolet, you'll see it as it's happening, and that you will know the whole story behind Giovanni and Kamon that got them to that point.

Last edited:

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 10, 2020
I'm exicited to see how the event fully pans out then! Yeah, I did over-train Charmander; but, that's a habit I have in games 'Train the starter first, then work on the rest of the team'. But, I did use Murkrow, just not enough to level up yet.

Haha, actually I forgot I evolved Murkrow, so it's actually a Lv. 7 Honchkrow.

Last edited:

metalflygon08

BIG PECKS
Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2016
Brock capping out at 16 isn't that bad, since it's base Attack is on par with Caterpie, I've played through 3 times now, without speed grinding (really wanted that Butterfree) my team averaged 11-13 with the starter varying depending on who I chose.
Charmander-15 (he get's all the battles in the bug infested forest)
Bulbasaur-13 (not too effective in the woods, but in all my playthroughs, it catches up by soloing Brock's gym)
Squirtle-14 (see Bulbasaur, except you can kinda do damage with water moves)

Not sure if you mentioned it or not, but are TM's changing, like Misty giving Bubblebeam back? (Water Pulse should be Jaun's only) Obviously not replacing all the TM's because some of the original were pointless (really, a TM for Softboiled?)

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Not sure if you mentioned it or not, but are TM's changing, like Misty giving Bubblebeam back? (Water Pulse should be Jaun's only) Obviously not replacing all the TM's because some of the original were pointless (really, a TM for Softboiled?)
Yes, TM's are changing, but they're not going to be the same as in Red/Green/Blue.

I'll post it again, this is the new TM list (and its FINAL):
Spoiler:

metalflygon08

BIG PECKS
Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2016
That's a solid TM list, I like it.

Since you are bringing it up to 5th gen standards, so to speak, is the Gym Guide going to give out a free Fresh Water every gym?

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Things I've worked on since release:
-finished Green's running sprites
-fixed Pokeball palette issues at beginning of battle
-other stuff

Also I was going to move the Viridian Team Rocket event to the top of the city, but after some thinking I decided against it, and here's why: The main point of moving the event is to give you access to Route 22, and allow you to fight Team Rocket and Kamon using some Pokemon from Route 22 if you choose. But the thing is, there's a rival battle on Route 22, and Blue battles you with a Lv8 Pidgey and a Lv10 Kantostarter. It would make no sense level-progression wise to battle a Lv8-10 boss, and then have to battle a Lv7 boss (Kamon's Nidoran). I could lower Blue's levels, but that would be dumb, because if I made him Lv5-7, then he would be significantly weaker than he is in Pokemon Red/Green/Blue, and I don't want that. In Pokemon Red/Green/Blue, the rival battle on Route 22 had a Lv9 Pidgey, and a Lv8 Kantostarter. I am following B/W/B2/W2's rule of "for boss characters, the boss's ace Pokemon must be +2 levels above the rest of the Pokemon, and the rest of the Pokemon must all be at the same level".

What I call "boss characters" are important trainers that are supposed to be tougher than regular trainers, and are to be viewed as the equivalent to a typical boss in a standard RPG. The boss characters are:
*Blue
*Green (if playing as Red)
*Red (if playing as Green)
*Gym Leaders
*Elite Four & Champion
*Ariana
*Archer
*Giovanni
*Kamon

Kamon is a boss character, and making him top out at Lv10 in the Viridian event is a bit overkill. Blue can get away with it because it's an optional fight, just like in the original games.

Not to mention, you get 3 free Sitrus Berries at the start of the gave, 10 free Potions on Route 1, and pseudo-infinite Oran Berries on Route 1 (the Berry tree will refill every time you enter the area), I think I've already made the beginning easy enough :/ So the Team Rocket event in future releases will be unchanged from the alpha.

That's a solid TM list, I like it.

Since you are bringing it up to 5th gen standards, so to speak, is the Gym Guide going to give out a free Fresh Water every gym?
Kinda. I've always thought Fresh Water became rather useless by the time you reach the 4th Gym though. So I'm making it so that:
Gyms 1-2: Fresh Water
Gyms 3-4: Soda Pop
Gyms 5-6: Lemonade
Gyms 7-8: Moomoo Milk

metalflygon08

BIG PECKS
Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2016
Things I've worked on since release:
-finished Green's running sprites
-fixed Pokeball palette issues at beginning of battle
-other stuff

Also I was going to move the Viridian Team Rocket event to the top of the city, but after some thinking I decided against it, and here's why: The main point of moving the event is to give you access to Route 22, and allow you to fight Team Rocket and Kamon using some Pokemon from Route 22 if you choose. But the thing is, there's a rival battle on Route 22, and Blue battles you with a Lv8 Pidgey and a Lv10 Kantostarter. It would make no sense level-progression wise to battle a Lv8-10 boss, and then have to battle a Lv7 boss (Kamon's Nidoran). I could lower Blue's levels, but that would be dumb, because if I made him Lv5-7, then he would be significantly weaker than he is in Pokemon Red/Green/Blue, and I don't want that. In Pokemon Red/Green/Blue, the rival battle on Route 22 had a Lv9 Pidgey, and a Lv8 Kantostarter. I am following B/W/B2/W2's rule of "for boss characters, the boss's ace Pokemon must be +2 levels above the rest of the Pokemon, and the rest of the Pokemon must all be at the same level".

What I call "boss characters" are important trainers that are supposed to be tougher than regular trainers, and are to be viewed as the equivalent to a typical boss in a standard RPG. The boss characters are:
*Blue
*Green (if playing as Red)
*Red (if playing as Green)
*Gym Leaders
*Elite Four & Champion
*Ariana
*Archer
*Giovanni
*Kamon

Kamon is a boss character, and making him top out at Lv10 in the Viridian event is a bit overkill. Blue can get away with it because it's an optional fight, just like in the original games.

Not to mention, you get 3 free Sitrus Berries at the start of the gave, 10 free Potions on Route 1, and pseudo-infinite Oran Berries on Route 1 (the Berry tree will refill every time you enter the area), I think I've already made the beginning easy enough :/ So the Team Rocket event in future releases will be unchanged from the alpha.

Kinda. I've always thought Fresh Water became rather useless by the time you reach the 4th Gym though. So I'm making it so that:
Gyms 1-2: Fresh Water
Gyms 3-4: Soda Pop
Gyms 5-6: Lemonade
Gyms 7-8: Moomoo Milk

That's something I thought BW2 would've done with the free drinks. Water makes sense in a workout-gym sort of way, but is pointless late game.

Also, Daisy giving you the Running Shoes seems kinda sketchy, I can understand the Map (reference to the originals), and even TM 27 (she does measure friendship). But her having a pair of shoes for you is a little creepy.

Maybe have the player's mother wait outside the door and give them to you like in RSE?

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Also, Daisy giving you the Running Shoes seems kinda sketchy, I can understand the Map (reference to the originals), and even TM 27 (she does measure friendship). But her having a pair of shoes for you is a little creepy.

Maybe have the player's mother wait outside the door and give them to you like in RSE?
So Daisy giving you the Running Shoes is "creepy", but the old man in HG/SS in Cherrygrove giving you the Running Shoes isn't "creepy"? wtf?

Daisy is your neighbor and friend, and Red has known her as long as he's known Blue. I don't understand how Daisy giving you Running Shoes is "creepy", it's a friend giving you helpful items. Sorry, that's not going to change.

metalflygon08

BIG PECKS
Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2016
So Daisy giving you the Running Shoes is "creepy", but the old man in HG/SS in Cherrygrove giving you the Running Shoes isn't "creepy"? wtf?

Daisy is your neighbor and friend, and Red has known her as long as he's known Blue. I don't understand how Daisy giving you Running Shoes is "creepy", it's a friend giving you helpful items. Sorry, that's not going to change.

It's creepy there too, more-so that he jokes that they are still warm from him wearing them~

I just know IRL if my best friend's family randomly gave me shoes I'd be a little weirded out.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
It's creepy there too, more-so that he jokes that they are still warm from him wearing them~

I just know IRL if my best friend's family randomly gave me shoes I'd be a little weirded out.

You seem to forget the 'IRL' logic, and 'Pokémon' Logic are two different things.

Back