• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Competitive Team Questions (and Incomplete Team Help)

Years
I have an arcanine with max attack and max speed adamant nature.

Should I use Flare Blitz, Extreme Speed, Crunch, and Outrage? Or should I replace Crunch with Wild Charge? Is Wild Charge ever good for Arcanine? And it's a life orbed/Choice banded/scarfed Arcanine

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I have an arcanine with max attack and max speed adamant nature.

Should I use Flare Blitz, Extreme Speed, Crunch, and Outrage? Or should I replace Crunch with Wild Charge? Is Wild Charge ever good for Arcanine? And it's a life orbed/Choice banded/scarfed Arcanine

I would use Wild Charge. Wild Charge is great on Arcanine; it hits good damage on those common bulky water switch-ins. Then again, you can try Crunch against things like Chandulre or Slowking if they give you trouble.

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 23, 2016
platinumdude i found nothing on smogon, all i found was a page with thought s on doubles on it

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 23, 2016
my bad i want there looking for the wrong info

all right i have finished my ice team, now please bear with me, im not the best at picking out movesets.

1) blizzard
2) avalanch
3) leech seed
4) wood hammer

mamoswine
ability snow cloak
1) earth qauke
2) rest
3) stealth rock
4) snore

froslass
1) thunderbolt
2) wheather ball
3) singnal beam
4) blizzard

heatron
1) magma storm
2) heat wave
3) iron head
4) earth qauke

tentacruel
1) toxic
2) venoshock
3) rain dance
4) hydro pump

cloyster
1) spike
2) shell amash
3) surf
4) aqua ring

Last edited:

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Mind if I give you some help with your movesets then?~

Well, it's just, yeah, your team looks okay, buuuut yeah, the movesets might need just a bit of adjustments~

Well, for your Abomasnow, I recommend Earthquake over Avalanche, to catch switch-ins like Heatran by surprise.

For Mamoswine, Snore is a liiiitle weak on it. How about trying Stone Edge, Ice Shard, or Icicle Crash instead? You also don't need Stealth Rock it, unless it's a lead, and since that you have pokemon that can more comfortably set up Stealth Rock in its stead.

For Froslass, you just don't need Weather Ball if you're running Blizzard. How about Substitute instead? It can be a real annoyance along with it's Snow Cloak ability. I also recommend Shadow Ball over Signal beam, for a STAB move, and to hurt pokemon like Alakazam or Gengar harder.

Now for your Heatran, try Lava Plume over Heat Wave. You'll get the nice "30 chance of a burn" bonus. Plus, I wouldn't recommend Iron Head and Earthquake if you're purely running a special moveset. Well, it's special moveset is preferred anyway. You can try Stealth Rock and Roar for shuffling, or maybe Earth Power against opposing Heatran or other Fire Pokemon.

Tentacruel, you don't need Rain Dance if you are up against opposing Rain teams anyway. Plus, it's a bit... counter - productive for your Hail Team. The Toxic + Venoshock combo is a tad slow and kind of not effective on opposed to Sludge Bomb. You can have Rapid Spin to blow away Stealth Rock, to help out your Ice pokemon instead, as well as Blizzard because of that nice Hail effect of making Blizzard 100% accurate. Plus, an ice move is great on a Tentacruel, on opposed to a Poison move - it has more coverage.

Finally for your cloyster, I wouldn't recommend having Spikes + Shell Smash in the same moveset, as it kiind of makes it worse for Cloyster, because it won't have access to the other moves in it's arsenal. So if you want to have a Shell Smash set, try Surf / Icicle Spear / Rock Blast, or if you want a utility Closyter, try Spikes / Icicle Spear / Rapid Spin / Surf.

Well, in short:

Abomasnow
~ Blizzard
~ Earthquake
~ Leech Seed
~ Wood Hammer

Mamoswine
~ Earthquake
~ Rest / Superpower
~ Ice Shard
~ Stone Edge

Froslass
~ Thunderbolt
~ Subsitute
~ Shadow Ball
~ Blizzard

Heatran
~ Lava Plume
~ Earth Power
~ Stealth Rock
~ Roar

Tentacruel
~ Hydro Pump
~ Blizzard
~ Rapid Spin
~ Sludge Bomb / Toxic Spikes

Cloyster
~ Icicle Spear
~ Shell Smash
~ Surf
~ Rock Blast

or...

~ Spikes
~ Surf
~ Icicle Spear
~ Rapid Spin

Well, those are just some suggestions anyway. Feel free to make use of them, or, try any experimenting that you'd like~! But yeah, if you do use these suggestions, I hope they help! ^^

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Mind if I give you some help with your movesets then?~

Well, it's just, yeah, your team looks okay, buuuut yeah, the movesets might need just a bit of adjustments~

Well, for your Abomasnow, I recommend Earthquake over Avalanche, to catch switch-ins like Heatran by surprise.

For Mamoswine, Snore is a liiiitle weak on it. How about trying Stone Edge, Ice Shard, or Icicle Crash instead? You also don't need Stealth Rock it, unless it's a lead, and since that you have pokemon that can more comfortably set up Stealth Rock in its stead.

For Froslass, you just don't need Weather Ball if you're running Blizzard. How about Substitute instead? It can be a real annoyance along with it's Snow Cloak ability. I also recommend Shadow Ball over Signal beam, for a STAB move, and to hurt pokemon like Alakazam or Gengar harder.

Now for your Heatran, try Lava Plume over Heat Wave. You'll get the nice "30 chance of a burn" bonus. Plus, I wouldn't recommend Iron Head and Earthquake if you're purely running a special moveset. Well, it's special moveset is preferred anyway. You can try Stealth Rock and Roar for shuffling, or maybe Earth Power against opposing Heatran or other Fire Pokemon.

Tentacruel, you don't need Rain Dance if you are up against opposing Rain teams anyway. Plus, it's a bit... counter - productive for your Hail Team. The Toxic + Venoshock combo is a tad slow and kind of not effective on opposed to Sludge Bomb. You can have Rapid Spin to blow away Stealth Rock, to help out your Ice pokemon instead, as well as Blizzard because of that nice Hail effect of making Blizzard 100% accurate. Plus, an ice move is great on a Tentacruel, on opposed to a Poison move - it has more coverage.

Finally for your cloyster, I wouldn't recommend having Spikes + Shell Smash in the same moveset, as it kiind of makes it worse for Cloyster, because it won't have access to the other moves in it's arsenal. So if you want to have a Shell Smash set, try Surf / Icicle Spear / Rock Blast, or if you want a utility Closyter, try Spikes / Icicle Spear / Rapid Spin / Surf.

Well, in short:

Abomasnow
~ Blizzard
~ Earthquake
~ Leech Seed
~ Wood Hammer

Mamoswine
~ Earthquake
~ Stealth Rock
~ Ice Shard
~ Stone Edge

Froslass
~ Thunderbolt
~ Subsitute
~ Shadow Ball
~ Blizzard

Heatran
~ Lava Plume
~ Earth Power
~ Stealth Rock
~ Roar

Tentacruel
~ Hydro Pump
~ Blizzard
~ Rapid Spin
~ Sludge Bomb / Toxic Spikes

Cloyster
~ Icicle Spear
~ Shell Smash
~ Surf
~ Rock Blast

or...

~ Spikes
~ Surf
~ Icicle Spear
~ Rapid Spin

Well, those are just some suggestions anyway. Feel free to make use of them, or, try any experimenting that you'd like~! But yeah, if you do use these suggestions, I hope they help! ^^
To add, natures and EV spreads:

Abomasnow: Sassy, 248 HP/8 Def/252 SDef

Mamoswine: Jolly/Adamant, 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe

Froslass: Timid, 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe

Heatran: Calm, 248 HP/252 SDef/8 Spe

Tentacruel: Timid, 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe or Bold, 252 HP/236 Def/20 Spe

Cloyster: Naive, 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe (1st set) or Relaxed, 248 HP/84 Atk/176 Def. (just saying, Razor Shell and Hydro Pump are the better options on it; if you evolved Shellder too early, Surf is fine)

Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2014
I'm going to create a mostly dragon non-legendary team, and I'm trying to get the best pokemon combination of the following. I've narrowed it down to 9 pokemon, and here they are:
Salamence, Tyranitar, Metagross, Dragonite, Garchomp, Kingdra, (My wild card choices:)) Shedinja, Zoroark and Wobbuffet. I've researched this quite thouroughly but I still can't decide! I've used the Team Builder but there's still many combinations that would work. I'm pretty definite I'll be using Salamence, Tyranitar and Metagross. Thanks alot!

I'm trying to create a non-legendary mostly dragon team, and I just can't narrow it down. I've researched this VERY thouroughly, but I just can't make up my mind. Out of the following, which pokemon would be the best?

Salamence, Metagross, Tyranitar, Dragonite, Garchomp, Kingdra, (1 or more of the following as my wild card/wall) Shedinja, Zoroark, Wobbuffet. I know Shedinja's risky, but I like mind games :P
I also have a level 100 Umbreon and Espeon on my Pokemon Colosseum, and a level 85 Charizard on my Leaf Green, so if they're not as useless as Smogon says let me know if I should transfer them. I'm also quite sure I'm using Salamence, Tyranitar and Metagross. If there are any abilities its very important I use, just tell me in advance please.

Thanks!!!

Last edited:

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Well, it depends on what you want to go for.

The whole Steel + Dragon combo can also work with Dragonite and Garchomp. What's good about Dragonite though, is that even with it's Dragon Dance set, it's even viable with a Choice Band; or a cripple Thunder Wave set! Garchomp can work as a choice Scarfer, choice Bander, or a sub/sd sweeper. Metagross can cover it's dragon/ice weakness too.

What you can try is to have Salamence be a mixed sweeper, and have either a Dragonite, a Garchomp, or hey, even Kingdra as a set-up sweeper, as Salamence can defeat their respective checks like... Skarmory, or Magnezone with Fire Blast.

I wouldn't recommend Shedinja if you're using Tyranitar though. =( If you're using Sand Stream. Although, Zoroark can be quite handy for a lead - if you wanna trick those people who would think that you're leading off with Dragonite, and Wobbuffet can take out those checks that are naturally faster than your preferred Dragon pokemon, like Lati@s.

For abilities, I recommend Multi-Scale on Dragonite, beause it really helps Dragonite's survivablity against Ice attacks at full health. I also recommend Moxie on Salamence for the added sweeping~

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I'm going to create a mostly dragon non-legendary team, and I'm trying to get the best pokemon combination of the following. I've narrowed it down to 9 pokemon, and here they are:
Salamence, Tyranitar, Metagross, Dragonite, Garchomp, Kingdra, (My wild card choices:)) Shedinja, Zoroark and Wobbuffet. I've researched this quite thouroughly but I still can't decide! I've used the Team Builder but there's still many combinations that would work. I'm pretty definite I'll be using Salamence, Tyranitar and Metagross. Thanks alot!

I'm trying to create a non-legendary mostly dragon team, and I just can't narrow it down. I've researched this VERY thouroughly, but I just can't make up my mind. Out of the following, which pokemon would be the best?

Salamence, Metagross, Tyranitar, Dragonite, Garchomp, Kingdra, (1 or more of the following as my wild card/wall) Shedinja, Zoroark, Wobbuffet. I know Shedinja's risky, but I like mind games :P
I also have a level 100 Umbreon and Espeon on my Pokemon Colosseum, and a level 85 Charizard on my Leaf Green, so if they're not as useless as Smogon says let me know if I should transfer them. I'm also quite sure I'm using Salamence, Tyranitar and Metagross. If there are any abilities its very important I use, just tell me in advance please.

Thanks!!!
Shedinja should never be used in OU, as entry hazards, sandstorm, burn , poison and Mold Breaker ruin it. Charizard and Venusaur are only good if they have their Dream World abilities, Solar Power and Chlorophyll, respectively.

Sand Stream should be the default ability on Tyranitar:
-Stealth Rock
-Crunch
-Pursuit
-Fire Blast/Stone Edge/Superpower
Nature: Sassy/Careful
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 SDef
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream

Or
-Stone Edge
-Crunch
-Pursuit
-Superpower
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 180 HP/252 Atk/76 Spe
Item: Choice Band

Or
-Stone Edge
-Crunch
-Pursuit
-Superpower
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Scarf

Salamence is fine with either Intimidate or Moxie:
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Fire Blast/Hydro Pump
Nature: Naive
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Lum Berry/Life Orb/Yache Berry

Or
-Outrage
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Fire Blast/Fire Fang
Nature: Naive/Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie

Or
-Draco Meteor
-Outrage
-Fire Blast
-Earthquake
Nature: Naive
EVs: 64 Atk/192 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb

Metagross can go offensive or defensive:
-Stealth Rock
-Meteor Mash
-Pursuit
-Earthquake/Hammer Arm
EVs: 252 HP/96 Atk/160 SDef
Item: Leftovers

Or
-Meteor Mash
-Bullet Punch
-Earthquake
-Zen Headbutt/ThunderPunch/Ice Punch
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spe
Item: Choice Band

Or
-Agility
-Zen Headbutt
-Earthquake
-Meteor Mash/Ice Punch
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb

Or
-Meteor Mash
-Hidden Power (Fire)
-Grass Knot
-Earthquake/Ice Punch
Nature: Naughty
EVs: 252 Atk/228 SAtk/28 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Expert Belt

I may have more, but I'll stop here for now.

Years
Question on Poitoed Drizzle

Should it have a Timid or Modest nature?
Or should it be a defensive Politoed with a Bold or Calm ability?
Because I want it to be part of a rain team and I need it in the lead

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Question on Poitoed Drizzle

Should it have a Timid or Modest nature?
Or should it be a defensive Politoed with a Bold or Calm ability?
Because I want it to be part of a rain team and I need it in the lead

Well, it depends on your team comp. If you're running an offensive Rain team, I'd lean towards a Timid-Natured Politoad with Choice Scarf. Or, you can have a Modest Politoad with Choice Specs.

If you're running a defensive Rain team, then I recommend a Bold Natured Politoad, for tankiness against things like, Tyranitar.

Hope that helps. ^^

Years
Thanks!
Now Jolteon question

Is a 1 IV in HP and 6 IV in SP DEF okay for Jolteon if it has 31 IV's in SP ATK and Speed? I mean either way it can't take hits well. And even with good HP and SP Def, it still gets 2HKO's correct?

Fire Flyy

metaphysical poet
Years
Thanks!
Now Jolteon question

Is a 1 IV in HP and 6 IV in SP DEF okay for Jolteon if it has 31 IV's in SP ATK and Speed? I mean either way it can't take hits well. And even with good HP and SP Def, it still gets 2HKO's correct?

yeah it can sweep just fine, but it might have trouble taking some attacks, I'd probably just go about using it anyways, Jolteon is super frail as is and the strategy you want to use it for is to weaken everything so it can just pull of a straight sweep, it won't be taking any/many hits

Years
yeah it can sweep just fine, but it might have trouble taking some attacks, I'd probably just go about using it anyways, Jolteon is super frail as is and the strategy you want to use it for is to weaken everything so it can just pull of a straight sweep, it won't be taking any/many hits

Yeah I figure since Jolteon dies after one psychic from an Alakazam/Espeon and a Hydro Pump from Rotom-W, and can still live a Scald from a Vaporeon, it should be just fine. Rebreeding may not be worth it

Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2014
Do the natures matter a whole bunch? My Impish Shellgon is almost a Salamence, do I have to catch a new one? I really like this one :P

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Do the natures matter a whole bunch? My Impish Shellgon is almost a Salamence, do I have to catch a new one? I really like this one :P

Yes. Salamence's stats lean towards offensive sets. Furthermore, when Shelgon evolves into Salamence, it loses some Defense.

Salamence are normally seen Jolly or Naive. You'll have to catch a new one in other words.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years

Yeah, they sort of do.. ;__; In the game mechanics of today, a nature value will always give a 10% increase in one stat and a 10% decrease in another stat. If you know of the neutral natures that give no bonus whatsoever, its because one stat is having a 10% increase and a 10% decrease in the same stat. They cancel each other out basically. Natures will give potential bonuses to every stat except for Hit Points.

I mean look: Salamence's max attack is about 405, but only if it's a attack-oriented nature. Salamence's max speed is 328, but only with a speed-oriented nature. It can't reach those stats with a Impish nature, which is a Defensive-oriented nature. It can only reach a max of 369 in attack, and 299 in speed.

So you know, again, I recommend having an attack oriented nature, or a speed oriented nature for Salamence.

If you wanna learn more, serebii has a great guide on natures here: http://www.serebii.net/games/natures.shtml

Back