• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Raising the legal driving age to 18

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
I don't think raising it would solve anything. People learn stuff from experience driving so if they do raise it to 18 how would a 16 year old know how to drive? I remember when I was 16 I wasn't the best driver, I've had my fair share of accidents but nothing major. I'm 20 now and seem like one of the best drivers where I live. I mean I probably ain't the best where I live because I live in a college town and they don't know the area but they drive like maniacs down here either way. I used to be scared to drive through tight neighborhoods now I feel safe driving through there. I mean come one, I got a 06 Chevy Cobalt with cold air and turbo so I'm used to driving fast. I actually got one not because they're fast but because I live in Chicago and it's a huge city and things are spread out and the highway is the fastest way and I need horsepower to get up and go lol. Tho sometimes I do like to drive really fast when I know the area and know there isn't cops so I'm safe going 120 to 130.
Please don't try this without experience it's very dangerous. I drift around corners using E-brake too so I've learned a lot from experience. That's why they shouldn't change it.

If you up the age to 18 you would actually have more problems because there would be people 16 and 17 driving and getting in accidents so yea. There are just as dangerous adult drivers as teen drivers. It may seem teen drivers are worse but that is not the case. It's actually more 18-24 age with the most accidents cos of parties, texting, stupidity while driving, etc. So raising it wouldn't cause less accidents because starting at 18 is actually where the most accidents start at.

Years
It's 18 in Australia and i have to say i think it works well, for this country anyway. Only 1290 lives were lost across the country last year, and i believe that making the age 18 is contributing to the low road toll.

In which state? Here you're eligible for L's at 16 and for memory red P's at 17.

Anyway...
Raising the driving age to 18 or even 21 is really not going to be effective for three main reasons.
1. Most of the people (at least around my neighbourhood) that get into major car accidents are either very intoxicated (at any age), about 18-22 or both. The majority being in the both category. I assume that this is similar everywhere but please correct me if I'm wrong.

2. You can be stupid at any age. Plenty of irresponsible drivers are in their 30's or even 40's, raising the driving age sure as hell won't keep them of the road so really it doesn't alleviate the danger.

3. Experience. The longer you have been driving the better you'll be at it. if you're 21 and have been driving since 18 you won't be as experienced as someone who is the same age but has been driving since 16.

This is for the soul benefit of anyone being confused by us Australians
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_licence_in_Australia

Years
Okay, so I have a question about driving in America.
When you turn 15 or 16 or however old you need to be to get a license, do you require any prior training to taking the test? (I assume there is some sort of test otherwise that would be crazy.) Like driving with your parents for a certain amount of time? Or is it just "Ohai 16 I go driving nao?"

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
Okay, so I have a question about driving in America.
When you turn 15 or 16 or however old you need to be to get a license, do you require any prior training to taking the test? (I assume there is some sort of test otherwise that would be crazy.) Like driving with your parents for a certain amount of time? Or is it just "Ohai 16 I go driving nao?"

It depends on the state. Where I live you must pass a written exam and complete 40 or 60 hours of driving under the supervision of an adult 21+. I'd assume that most states have a similar set of requirements.

I think that the age to drink alcohol should come before the age to drive a car, so they know what alcohol is like before they start driving.

Many people do drink, illegally, prior to obtaining their licence and it has no positive impact on deterring them from drunk driving.

Last edited:

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
Years

Keeping immature and unseasoned teenagers off the roads where they can't hurt themselves or others isn't a good reason?
Honestly, if someone wants to drive like an idiot then the age that they get their drivers license is not going to stop them. Most kids aren't really hooligans, they just succumb to peer pressure from their mates. Especially in Aus, raising the limit to 18 would be the stupidest thing the Government could do. You can legally buy alcohol at 18 here, so they would be giving someone their license for the first time at the same age that they can legally purchase alcohol. That's the crappest idea to reduce road accidents I've ever heard.

Like I said, just because someone is 2 years older doesn't mean they'll be any less road smart. If they want to make people better drivers they should increase the hours they have to drive before getting their full license rather than the age they can start.

SoulSilver10112

George the Poliwag
Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2013
I don't think so: if the age was 18, then the 18 year olds, being inexperienced, would get into more wrecks, then the people will complain to raise it again. Then the same thing will happen after they raise it again, and it keeps going.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
It should not be raised, 16-17 years old should have the same driving rights as legal adults.

Back