• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

FireRed hack: POKEMON: Dark Rising

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
Good News. I'm almost done with the game. Tajaros just has to script quite a few important events, but after that, it should be ready to be released. Depending on the amount of free time he will have in the upcoming weeks will determine the release date. Who knows, it may be released around early-mid November instead of the Christmas Day release I had planed.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Good News. I'm almost done with the game. Tajaros just has to script quite a few important events, but after that, it should be ready to be released. Depending on the amount of free time he will have in the upcoming weeks will determine the release date. Who knows, it may be released around early-mid November instead of the Christmas Day release I had planed.
So soon? o.O I do hope it won't be rushed...

PokemonMasters

Always Remember Forever&After
Years
i hope you revamp the maps or hire a mapper to enhance some maps xD you should also gather some beta testers so you can fix bugs before releasing the game with lots of bugs. anyways for the second rom will you make a new thread?

Years
Ohhh so early thats good news... Too bad I am stuck now with many projects...

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
Don't worry, it's not being rushed at all. I've still got 3-4 more towns/cities to work on it, and a fair amount of trainers that still need editing. Tajaros still has to make specific scripts I need as well. So it'll be awhile before it's released, but not too long. Everything's already planed out to the end of the hack and I've gotten A Lot done in the pass 3 days. But Yes, DR2 will have it's own thread once this one's fully completed and bug-free. I'll also have a good amount of pre-release pics posted a week before the release of the full hack as well.

I'm working hard, ppl! Also, if anyone has any early ideas for DR2, I'd love to hear em. Like DR1, DR2 will have one special guest that's from another series of anime or video game culture. Some early picks would be welcomed from the community. The only request with this that I have is to make sure it's someone I can fit into the Pokemon world with a reasonable explaination. I can't have Sora from Kingdom Hearts in the hack or something like that. Choose names that are accustomed to controlling their own set of creatures in some way.

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
Don't worry, it's not being rushed at all. I've still got 3-4 more towns/cities to work on it, and a fair amount of trainers that still need editing. Tajaros still has to make specific scripts I need as well. So it'll be awhile before it's released, but not too long. Everything's already planed out to the end of the hack and I've gotten A Lot done in the pass 3 days. But Yes, DR2 will have it's own thread once this one's fully completed and bug-free. I'll also have a good amount of pre-release pics posted a week before the release of the full hack as well.

I'm working hard, ppl! Also, if anyone has any early ideas for DR2, I'd love to hear em. Like DR1, DR2 will have one special guest that's from another series of anime or video game culture. Some early picks would be welcomed from the community. The only request with this that I have is to make sure it's someone I can fit into the Pokemon world with a reasonable explaination. I can't have Sora from Kingdom Hearts in the hack or something like that. Choose names that are accustomed to controlling their own set of creatures in some way.

How about Kirito from SAO? (It's my avatar and sig)

Let's say after they finished floor 100 in Aincrad somehow they got transported to the Pokemon Universe... Something like that... xD then they got teleported in the OMNI Region, maybe Kirito can bring Asuna with him... :)

Years
Wow this is awesome i have already started playing the game and i simply love it the minisprite of the hero needs work but it is okay great job

Years
  • Seen May 30, 2013

What about Shigeki from Telefang? He could be a gym leader and use high-level Denjuu as his Pokemon.

Years

Good to hear that and please be noted from me that keep in mind the balance of levels with our team while battling rivals or other strong trainers.. You know some of them are very over powered... Also I suggest either a character from Beyblade or from Digimon.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Yeah, let's have characters from our favorite anime... guys, think rationally =D
Yami is a king of games, it's normal for him to be able to use Pokémon =D
Kirito is RPG gamer so that might work but having something from no game-like anime is crazy =D
It's like we can have Goku with Vegeta making a fusion and having ultra EPIC fused Pokémon xD

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
Yeah, let's have characters from our favorite anime... guys, think rationally =D
Yami is a king of games, it's normal for him to be able to use Pokémon =D
Kirito is RPG gamer so that might work but having something from no game-like anime is crazy =D
It's like we can have Goku with Vegeta making a fusion and having ultra EPIC fused Pokémon xD

Haha, Imagine Gogeta/Vegito having some Legendary fusemon's... xD

I think we should put on a poll on this, to see everyone's thoughts... :)

Years
  • Seen Aug 26, 2022
I wanna see characters from dragon ball in dark rising ! :D fusemon ? - interesting... :P

Years
I played your hack for a little while yesterday, and I'm here to give a bit of feedback! :)

It's definitely had a lot of effort put into it, and you seem to have great ideas for the story, so that's always great. There are a few small things that I think could improve the overall quality hugely if you did a bit of work on them.

The mapping: it could use a bit of work, to be honest. Firstly there's the movement permissions:
1_zpsa6842b4d.png
2_zpseccc4ad6.png
3_zps55f994f9.png

Basically, all of the tiles I'm facing should be walkable. Since they're just the roof and the tops of trees, they should just cover the player but not be blocked.

4_zpsc0da98de.png

I think the Lab should probably use different tiles, seeing as it's so drastically different inside compared to the houses. This isn't really an issue as such, as it may just be something you haven't gotten around to yet.

5_zpsb1af362b.png

Now, the above screenshot. There's the use of movement permissions that prevent the player from going down the seemingly-clear path to the left, firstly. But what's a bit more problematic is that when I take one step upwards, a sprite appears out of thin air. Because the game doesn't load overworld events in neighbouring maps, he only appears when you enter the map. So you should probably put him a bit further into the map, so he doesn't just.. appear.

6_zps45bf71af.png

The above screenshot just looks a bit weird, to be honest. I know it's the entrance to a forest, but it just looks.. like a lot of tile errors, with the part of the path underneath the doorway, and the fact that the doorway isn't attached to a building. You may want to consider inserting some tiles that are more suitable to entering a forest, as they did in Ruby and Platinum and so on. And again, the gap at the top of the trees make it look spacey and just strange.

Some other things are a little off-putting. For example, the grammar at times is a little off- you tend to use some capital letters in places that just don't make sense. Like when your Rival says "Yeah, They were all pretty weak." That's just one example, but you do it a fair bit throughout the hack, and it's very.. ick looking.

Something else that could use work is the Player's backsprite and so on. I assume it's probably preliminary anyway, but the amount of just.. plain black on his backsprite does not look great, so.. it may be something you want to edit to make it look better.

In general, though, there are some elements that are quite good. I like that you actually incorporated losing a battle into the storyline, as that's something that's NEVER used in official Pokemon games, but is interesting in moving the story along. I think that you should consider having the player character speak, however- well, while I don't think it's the best thing in the world, it's certainly not the worst. One thing you should DEFINITELY look over is the use of coloured text in character's speech. It's all over the place, right off the bat- your mother speaks with blue text, then with red text in the next script. Your player speaks with gray text, sometimes blue text, and it's just.. it should be used so blue = boy and red = girl, or not at all. Otherwise it just makes it hard to follow the text.

With a bit more work, though, you'll have a great hack, as it's certainly got it's good points, so keep it up! :)

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
I played your hack for a little while yesterday, and I'm here to give a bit of feedback! :)

It's definitely had a lot of effort put into it, and you seem to have great ideas for the story, so that's always great. There are a few small things that I think could improve the overall quality hugely if you did a bit of work on them.

The mapping: it could use a bit of work, to be honest. Firstly there's the movement permissions:
1_zpsa6842b4d.png
2_zpseccc4ad6.png
3_zps55f994f9.png

Basically, all of the tiles I'm facing should be walkable. Since they're just the roof and the tops of trees, they should just cover the player but not be blocked.

4_zpsc0da98de.png

I think the Lab should probably use different tiles, seeing as it's so drastically different inside compared to the houses. This isn't really an issue as such, as it may just be something you haven't gotten around to yet.

5_zpsb1af362b.png

Now, the above screenshot. There's the use of movement permissions that prevent the player from going down the seemingly-clear path to the left, firstly. But what's a bit more problematic is that when I take one step upwards, a sprite appears out of thin air. Because the game doesn't load overworld events in neighbouring maps, he only appears when you enter the map. So you should probably put him a bit further into the map, so he doesn't just.. appear.

6_zps45bf71af.png

The above screenshot just looks a bit weird, to be honest. I know it's the entrance to a forest, but it just looks.. like a lot of tile errors, with the part of the path underneath the doorway, and the fact that the doorway isn't attached to a building. You may want to consider inserting some tiles that are more suitable to entering a forest, as they did in Ruby and Platinum and so on. And again, the gap at the top of the trees make it look spacey and just strange.

Some other things are a little off-putting. For example, the grammar at times is a little off- you tend to use some capital letters in places that just don't make sense. Like when your Rival says "Yeah, They were all pretty weak." That's just one example, but you do it a fair bit throughout the hack, and it's very.. ick looking.

Something else that could use work is the Player's backsprite and so on. I assume it's probably preliminary anyway, but the amount of just.. plain black on his backsprite does not look great, so.. it may be something you want to edit to make it look better.

In general, though, there are some elements that are quite good. I like that you actually incorporated losing a battle into the storyline, as that's something that's NEVER used in official Pokemon games, but is interesting in moving the story along. I think that you should consider having the player character speak, however- well, while I don't think it's the best thing in the world, it's certainly not the worst. One thing you should DEFINITELY look over is the use of coloured text in character's speech. It's all over the place, right off the bat- your mother speaks with blue text, then with red text in the next script. Your player speaks with gray text, sometimes blue text, and it's just.. it should be used so blue = boy and red = girl, or not at all. Otherwise it just makes it hard to follow the text.

With a bit more work, though, you'll have a great hack, as it's certainly got it's good points, so keep it up! :)

Thanks for the Feedback. The trees and roofs covering the player is something I completely overlooked and forgot I could do. But yes, the Professor's Lab will be changed by the next release and a lot of maps will be redone, especially Atlantic City. As for the scripting, I write the scripts and Tajaros is the one who adds them into the playable versions. So I will inform him to keep the color texts to a minimum or only have specific colors depending on their gender. 1 thing I didn't understand in your feedback is you said I should have the character player speak. I'm pretty sure the player speaks A LOT. I appreciate the feedback and I'll consider these things while working onward to finishing the hack.

As for the Special Guest being in part 2, it's a really tough choice. All of you picked some pretty cool characters and a poll would narrow things down. I do agree with Ash493 that it'll have to be rational thinking because the character being there has to make sense and the character personally has to be adapted to the type of battling style of Pokemon and controlling monsters in some form. Choosing Shigeki or someone from Digimon and possibly Beyblade would be easier, but idk we'll see. Choices...Choices. No DBZ Characters btw! lol

Last edited:
Years
hmm how about bleach characters?
Ichigo
Rukia
Renji

example ichigo at bankai state using dark type pokemon
rukia using ice
renji using fire

Last edited by a moderator:

mewmasterify

Actual Mew
Years
what about avatar characters:
Aang
Katara
Sokka
Toph

Aang can use Flying types.
Katara can use Water types.
Sokka can use Steel types.
Toph can use Rock and Ground Types.

oh ya Zuko can use Fire Types

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
Another thing Bugs me is the physical/special split available in here seeing that you have added much 4th generation stuff into it.?

Sorry, but it's not. I found out about the physical/special patch when most of the first beta was already complete and patching it that late would result in me loosing a lot of scripts and possibly glitching the hack. The physical/special spilt WILL be in the next installment of the series which is already being worked on by Tajaros.

Also, sorry about the lack of updates everyone. Yesterday was my birthday (Yay me! ^.^) and I have a mid-term this week (Nooooo...) but I have been editing the list of Pokemon to appear in new areas later in the game and editing a lot of NPC scripts that you'll see in towns. I've also been taking snapshots of my test playthrough of the remainder of the hack, so expect to see a post load of pics coming soon. They're nothing too special, but they will showcase a lot of places and events coming up in the next release. Don't worry, I didn't take snapshots of the best events, just some random stuff here and there. I'll be posting up the New List of Pokemon catchable in specific areas at that time as well.

Thanks for the help and support everyone. Wish me luck on my mid-term!

Back