• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
Years
  • Seen Dec 12, 2016
My question:

What Pokemon do you have as the "lead" Pokemon in your fic? In the games, everybody has that "lead" Pokemon that they always use. What Pokemon would you like to see getting a lead role in fan fictions?

To answer my question, my lead Pokemon is the Gallade evolution family. Currently, my character's lead Pokemon has ran away from him (earlier chapter) and won't be seen until the current volume. I enjoy portraying Ralts and Kirlia in an emotional fashion, since they, in my opinion, tend to be emotional.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Should I just copy/paste it over here? Also, I'll need permission to triple post, as the thread contains three topics: the quotations, homonyms, and general comma/semicolon guielines
Permission granted, friend.

Oh yeah, something that's been bothering me. If your characters are flying to another city, would the description of the three hour trip be nesscesary? It might not be three hours...I mean, in the games you zip to point A, but this is writing, so it's gotta take longer. I'm assuming Viridian to Vermilion by flying Mantine and Honchkrow would be three hours, and if I'm wrong correct me. But, would I need to describe the trip? I don't intend on anything happening during this flight, so I wasn't sure. It just sounds irrelevant to me.
If something important happens on the flight, then just write that part and skip the rest of the flight if nothing else happens. Have a scene break and say that the flight lasted three hours. No one is going to hate your fic if you don't describe every small detail that happens in your characters' lives.

And Saff beat me to the punch on the shinies/Eevee part.

What Pokemon do you have as the "lead" Pokemon in your fic? In the games, everybody has that "lead" Pokemon that they always use. What Pokemon would you like to see getting a lead role in fan fictions?
Currently, for version 6 of my fic, I have a Ralts as the lead Pokemon. Before, I had either Cyndaquil or Totodile for my first fic, and then Pikachu for my later fics. But after reworking my character a bit, I found that Ralts fit the role I needed for a starter Pokemon. (My Ralts, however, is portrayed differently from yours, TurtleKing. Mine is immature, loud, and lazy. He's different from any other Ralts I've seen in fanfiction.)

I am looking forward to my next fic, where one of the main Pokemon is going to be a Rattata. I've always held a special place in my heart for the little rodent, and just had to stick one into my fic.

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
Years
  • Seen Dec 12, 2016
I am looking forward to my next fic, where one of the main Pokemon is going to be a Rattata. I've always held a special place in my heart for the little rodent, and just had to stick one into my fic.

-----

Now THERE'S a Pokemon that I've never seen in a fan fic. XD.

Saffire Persian

Feline of Light and Shadow
Years
  • Age 36
  • Utah
  • Seen Nov 7, 2011

It depends on the fiction entirely. In Metamorphosis a Caterpie takes the lead. In "Loyalty", it's a Growlithe. In "Chance", "Loyalty's" sequel, a Meowth takes shares the limelight. In "The Ties that Bind", it's a Charizard; "Anamnesis", a Ralts (as she evolves); "Dividing the Bones" a, well, Cubone. In Finding Courage, there's a Growlithe, Luxio, and a few others.

As to what pokémon I'd like to see take a lead role? No idea. I'm pretty content with whatever pokémon a person choses to use.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
Years
The only reason Eevee and Shinies have been branded as a "big no-no" is because those people who do think up those Mary-Sues tend to use them--it's a trademark. But a person letting their character have one automatically certainly isn't a reason to cry "SUE!" on them, just like it was foolish in the olden days for people to proclaim that a person was a witch just because he or she had a black cat. [And, for the record, not all witches are bad, either, if you get my drift]. The results, in fact, are pretty much the same as it was back in those witch-hating days: people get their characters called Sues for no reason save the fact they have a shiny and/or Eevee and are burned at the stakes because of it. That's rather wrong in my opinion. You are to judge the fiction you're reading by how it's written, not what pokémon a character has.
Sorry if what I was trying to say came off as judgmental, so allow me try again. I've seen authors write about professors giving new trainers shiny, rare Pokemon (like Eevee) as starters without any real explanation. As long as you give an explanation as why such a rare Pokemon would be so carelessly given away, then the character won't be branded as a sue/stu. Unfortunately enough, there are reviewers out there that simply skim through a fic and if they see the name 'Eevee', automatically assume that all aspects of the fic is cliche.

Seeing as DI doesn't have any Pokemon Trainers, this answer applies to SN: I chose an Absol to be the leading Pokemon in this fic for two reason. The first being that you don't usually see Absol in fics and the second is their ability to sense disaster and how it ties into the story. A Pokemon I would like to see used more often is Tyrogue.

Sike_Saner

*aromatisse noise*
Years

In The Origin of Storms, it's a Wobbuffet (there's something else as the lead Pokémon later in the story, but I'll not spoil that here). In Communication, it's a Snorunt/Glalie.

And dangit, I still want to see more Voltorb and/or Electrode in fics, and either one in a lead role is something I'd especially love to see happen. :D

Last edited:

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
Years

The "lead" Pokemon is Augustus the Pidgeot, who basically acts as a foil for the human main character, Gale, despite the fact that they're "partners". He's the kind of person I'd like to have backing me up, because he can tell when other people are getting in over their heads. Gale, of course, is impulsive enough that he doesn't really listen and Augustus has to tag along anyway to make sure that Gale doesn't get hurt.

As for what Pokemon I want to see, probably the Geodude/Graveler/Golem line and Kingler. Seriously, Kingler needs to show up in fanfics more often.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years

Right now, I don't have anyone. My fic is more focused on the tragic romantic life of Silver(not me), but Honchkrow has been used...and I think he'll have the most appearance than any other Pokemon in my fic. I'd love to see Smeargle, Spiritomb, or Ditto get the spotlight.

And thanks, Astinus. :D Nothing really is going to happen in flight. I mean, really, what could you do? All you can do is play 99 Bottles of Beer, and everyone knows that's not fun. >.>

Dang, I just had an hour tornado warning. I had to stay at school. It was...horrible. On the bright side, it inspired a one-shot. I dunno if I'll go through with it, though...but it was good inspiration.

Last edited:

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
Years

In Feral Twilight, my main character has three fakemon that he uses more often than others. And his lead is the brutish Orion the Skunter (a link since my drawings are rather large): http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff58/HuntsmanSkunk/Skunter.jpg

Anyways, I've got kind of a thing that I'm hung up on with a description of one of my other fakemon that the guy has, Incinermyn: http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff58/HuntsmanSkunk/Incinermyn2.jpg , or rather the description of its body.

My question is, I the following description be too bulky?

"The closer of the two several meters from me was a tall mammalian beast. Levitating in a mostly upright position a few inches above the floor, the Pokémon's body easily cleared eight feet tall. His body was fairly slender for his size, though, resembling a large cylinder with fairly short legs and a stubby tail.

This creature's stature alone was enough to set him apart from most, but his pelt also seemed unique. Around the area immediately behind his head, there was a ring of golden fur flaring up from the beast's skin. The hairs were fashioned into triangular spikes, forming a type of sun collar. From the base of this collar down to his shoulders, the Pokémon's pelt was a dark red. The mammal's tube-like forelegs resting at his sides also had this color of fur covering them up to their three-toed paws that had short white claws at their ends. After the shoulders, his fur began to progressively turn to lighter hues of red, eventually becoming pink around the waist. The hips were where the fur finally became a brilliant white. With the exception of the burnt areas of fur atop his thick thighs, the Pokémon's hind legs too were white and appeared to be dragging somewhat as they thinned into a pair of feet that resembled moderate-sized ovals with three claws at their lowest points. Also bearing this white coat was his tail that resembled a cone widening somewhat as it reached away from the creature's rear and then curled upward slightly while again thinned quickly to a fine point."~Excerpt Feral Twilight, Chapter One

This is kind of bugging me because of how much there is for just this one character.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I think it's alright. Especially since it's a fakemon. With regular Pokemon, most people know what they look like by knowing the name, so even reading the description it's just like "Oh, yeah. I know what that is."

I think it's fine. Don't let it bother you too much, though.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
What Pokemon do you have as the "lead" Pokemon in your fic? In the games, everybody has that "lead" Pokemon that they always use.

For Midsummer Knights, it's Haunter, although admittedly, I should give him more screen time (because he's like the polar opposite of every other Haunter ever portrayed in canon). There's not enough fics about Haunter, really, which is a shame because it's such an awesome Pokemon.

For my other pet fic that I'm working on right now (and will be released... eventually), it's a fakemon that I've spoken entirely too much about on my LJ (because it's so creepy I love it), and one other fic that I'm playing with (as in, I've written about half the first chapter for) has an Aipom as a totem and an Alakazam as the main character's actual lead Pokemon.

What Pokemon would you like to see getting a lead role in fan fictions?

A lot of the ones that don't usually get a lot of attention in the Pokemon fandom. Furret, Ponyta, Spinarak, that sort of thing. Just generally something different compared to Eevee, the starters, legendaries, and popular Pokemon of the generation.

Also...

Skunter said:
My question is, I the following description be too bulky?

I don't feel it's too bulky, but I do feel that there's a bit of awkwardness in certain points -- primarily that last sentence. I feel as if you could rephrase the sentence so that it doesn't start with "Also bearing this white coat," as that just feels like you're taking inventory, rather than having the character observe what's in front of him, and "as it reached away from the creature's rear" makes me think it has its own hand. Maybe rephrase the sentence so that you show what it does while describing it? For example:

The creature's white tail curled with the bulbous middle rolling back and forth to swing the narrow tip through the air.

Maybe something like that to make it flow, you know? 'Course, you don't have to do it exactly like that or even remotely like that. I'm just saying you may want to read it aloud a few times once you're done writing the chapter to see if it sounds okay to your ears.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
All of this discussion on lead Pokemon brings me to a new subject:

What Pokemon have you never seen in a Fan Fiction?

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Well, have 'two' lead Pokemon - in Espeon and Umbreon as mentioned before, as my 'established trainer' has those two Pokemon to begin with. There are a few others that have joined that get a good bit of the spotlight as well, and then there's some with more minor or 'cameo' roles...
Ones I would like to see? Ones that are not used that often really... and some that have a good chance for comedy. :)
And dangit, I still want to see more Voltorb and/or Electrode in fics, and either one in a lead role is something I'd especially love to see happen. :D
I do remember a fic a while back that had a Voltorb as a starter - quite amusing. Only the story lasted a few chapters, and haven't seen the author since... which as a pity - really good story there.
BTW, there is a character that will appear *later* on in my fic that has an Electrode that you might like to see - the hint is that he has something to do with Miror B.... that character would only appear in several chapters time however...
Dang, I just had an hour tornado warning. I had to stay at school. It was...horrible. On the bright side, it inspired a one-shot. I dunno if I'll go through with it, though...but it was good inspiration.
A tonado warning? Sounds... interesting - what was it like? We don't get tornados in Australia, execpt toprical cyclones occassionally in Northern Australia, which is nowhere nere me...

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
Years

*cracks fingers*

Banette, Hitmontop, Delibird, Lapras, Kangaskhan, and Primape. Some personal favorites of mine too.

diamondpearl876

you can breathe now. x
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 25, 2022

I've only written four one-shots... "I'm Sorry" featured Chansey and Weavile as the leads (both were pretty equal), "Waiting" had Infernape, "Mirror Image" had Electrike, and "Changes" had Gible/Gabite.

;_; Hitmontop, Banette, and Duskull (and evos, though I prefer Duskull for some reason)! All awesome Pokémon, in my opinion. Hmm... Then there's Smeargle and Ditto, which I think would be interesting to see in a fanfic.

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
Years
In The Quest for the Legends, the lead Pokémon is Chaletwo, whose plan the entire plot revolves around. Scyther's Story and The Fall of a Leader are both focused on Scyther (probably the one I'd most like seeing more of in other fics, too). Morphic has a number of lead Pokémorphs, but no actual lead Pokémon. Not as far as I've planned, anyway.

Considering how little I read, I've never seen most Pokémon in fanfiction, really. :/

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
;_; Hitmontop, Banette, and Duskull (and evos, though I prefer Duskull for some reason)! All awesome Pokémon, in my opinion. Hmm... Then there's Smeargle and Ditto, which I think would be interesting to see in a fanfic.

I luff them. <3 Especially Smeargle, which is kind of a big duh. -pokes username-

A tonado warning? Sounds... interesting - what was it like? We don't get tornados in Australia, execpt toprical cyclones occassionally in Northern Australia, which is nowhere nere me...

Well, it was supposedly in our area. I was passing the main building and the siren went off(I was going to 7th period, which is down a huuuuge hill and into the bandroom). When I got down there, we had to sit in the music hall until 3:25, and we get out at 2:37. So, I went to my bus and we were on for two minutes and we had to go to the annex for about 20 minutes. It was crazy in the annex. Everybody started singing 'If You're Happy and You Know It'. O_o And yes, they did stomp their feet.

*cracks fingers*

Banette, Hitmontop, Delibird, Lapras, Kangaskhan, and Primape. Some personal favorites of mine too.

I l-love Delibird. ;-; Come to think of it, I've never read something with a...Magby, Pupitar, or Cascoon. xD And never Smeargle. Gee, I'm getting lots of inspiration. -jots this down-

Sike_Saner

*aromatisse noise*
Years

Wormadam and Hippowdon for sure. There are surely quite a few others I've yet to see used in a fic (mostly 4th-gen Pokémon), and probably a few that I've seen but have forgotten that I saw them, but those two are the only ones that seem to want to come to my mind right now. XD

Bay

Years

Well, for "Forever Young" it's a Crawdaunt after being inspired by his Pokedex entry. On "Nothing, Everything", it's Balin the Ninetales, though there's a reason why I chose him besides me liking Ninetales, also inspired by its Pokedex entry (seriously, some of the entrie are interesting. XD)

You know, I never saw a Qwlifish. That little guy looks like an interesting Pokemon to write about. XD

Saffire Persian

Feline of Light and Shadow
Years
  • Age 36
  • Utah
  • Seen Nov 7, 2011
Let's see... Banette has been used in several of Kiyohime's works over at SPPF. Kangaskhan was also featured prominently in a one-shot by Mouse Tourmaline called "Keyo". Pupitar was featured in one of Tales's (from SPPF) stories. And there's a very cool set of Smeargle in Sike's The Origin of Storms. 0-o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back