< >
Hello, guest! Please log in or register.

The PokéCommunity

Go Back     The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub Help Thread Map Rating/Review Thread

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Reply Post Reply

Old 4 Weeks Ago (1:05 PM). Edited 4 Weeks Ago by Tobiasu.
Desu intensifies

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwsomeMew View Post
MY MAP:
As you've probably guessed, it is a starter town of mine. I do really like the map myself, but what do you guys think? Any constructive criticism is wanted

EDIT: Just click on the "?"
Okay,here's the thing.The map is nice,clean and simple,but the left part (the grass) is useless.It's just a big patch of grass that shouldn't be there.On the other hand,the tiles you used are very good.

The final verdict : 7.9/10

Okay,my turn.

Name : Monschau Town
Hack of : Pokemon Fire Red 1.0
Hack name : Pokemon Rising Moon
Description : Well,I think it's obvious that this is the starting point of my town.It originaly had an exit to the north,but I thought that there is no need for two different routes that lead to the same city.

Mapshot :

Relevant Advertising!

Old 4 Weeks Ago (1:55 PM).
ModeratorBSCSPokéCommunity Daily Staff

Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiasu View Post
Okay,my turn.

Name : Monschau Town
Hack of : Pokemon Fire Red 1.0
Hack name : Pokemon Rising Moon
Description : Well,I think it's obvious that this is the starting point of my town.It originaly had an exit to the north,but I thought that there is no need for two different routes that lead to the same city.

Mapshot :

I'm not going to give a rating but I will write some comments. There are a few errors with the tree shadows, and you're using way too many flowers. There are only three thin trees in random places and I think they don't really fit, maybe don't use any at all. The random ledge is also out of place and has no use. It looks like you're trying to fill empty space, but empty space isn't bad. You could remove the thin trees, the ledge and some flowers, and your map would still look good.

The paths are nice, I think it'd look better if they were the same width everywhere. I don't like how the path seems to go up but doesn't really lead anywhere. You could add something there, or remove the path completely. There can still be another route north that leads to a different place, and you can block access to it until later in the game. You're using R/S houses and they don't really fit the Fire Red style and the doors are taller. Is the white house different from the other two? If it's just another house it'd look nicer if all three were the same type. I think the lab's fenced area should be bigger with maybe a few thin trees and puddles or a pond in it along with some Pokémon (if there aren't any already).

The sand part is the part I like the least. It seems very plain and rocky for a beach near a town, and looks like it has no purpose. Is an event taking place there? Maybe you could add a dock. Also, it'd be much more exciting if you could use Surf on the water there, and have a water route connect to a different part of the region, or even a small piece of land with an item on it.

Overall I think it's a really nice and simple map, but you shouldn't worry about having too much empty space.
Old 4 Weeks Ago (12:50 AM). Edited 4 Weeks Ago by Tobiasu.
Desu intensifies

@Christos Thanks for the advice mate.I will work on those issues.
PS. The original map had a dock.
Old 4 Weeks Ago (11:01 AM).

Review of AwesomeMew's Starter Town Map

Spoiler:

+ The tilesets you used are awesome - the pallets kind of remind me of Gen 4
+ I really like the field and berry trees at the right - it gives the town a nice, traditional feel.
- Before you get running shoes the paths at the top and bottom would take a while to walk up and down but maybe the hack you are making gives you running shoes straight away, I don't know.

Overall, I think its an 8.5 / 10.0

My Map:

Map Name: Route 1
Map Game: (No name as of yet)
Comment: Its the first route - the player has to meet someone at the bottom of the route near the start of the game but will have to come back later, once they have surf to progress to another route/town. Credit to WesleyFG for tiles - I am only using these tiles whilst my hack is in development. I plan on replacing the tiles when I finish the hack, if I finish.

Spoiler:

I need to make a signature...
Old 4 Weeks Ago (1:01 PM).
LanceKoijer of Pokemon_Addicts

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwsomeMew View Post
I am no expert, but here's my review.
What I don't like about the map, is generally the upper part of the map. The small house next to the Pokémart seems kinda... wierd.
And, if I am right, starter towns does not have either a Pokémart nor Pokécenter. But I that's just me.

Otherwise, I like the lower part of the map except the fountain. I think it should be placed more central.
I really recommend a more "natural touch"; add more trees and flowers and so on, which I believe is the "missing thing" that Crizzle mentioned.
Rating: 6.5

MY MAP:
As you've probably guessed, it is a starter town of mine. I do really like the map myself, but what do you guys think? Any constructive criticism is wanted

EDIT: Just click on the "?"
comment
The map perse is beautiful, one thing I want to point out, the trees in yellow grasses seem to be pointless, as those grew on the top of yellow grasses. You should also add some details on the yellow grasses like small trees or others that won't make the grass patch look empty.
My rating is 7/10

My Map
I have nothing to show for now XD
Please take time clicking this link http://pocketmoneyduty.com/?u=15594

My Threads

Old 3 Weeks Ago (11:05 PM).
Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Crystal Tier

Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanaldRoo View Post
Spoiler:
Review of AwesomeMew's Starter Town Map

Spoiler:

+ The tilesets you used are awesome - the pallets kind of remind me of Gen 4
+ I really like the field and berry trees at the right - it gives the town a nice, traditional feel.
- Before you get running shoes the paths at the top and bottom would take a while to walk up and down but maybe the hack you are making gives you running shoes straight away, I don't know.

Overall, I think its an 8.5 / 10.0

My Map:

Map Name: Route 1
Map Game: (No name as of yet)
Comment: Its the first route - the player has to meet someone at the bottom of the route near the start of the game but will have to come back later, once they have surf to progress to another route/town. Credit to WesleyFG for tiles - I am only using these tiles whilst my hack is in development. I plan on replacing the tiles when I finish the hack, if I finish.

Spoiler:

The tiles look nice, you have distributed your trees greatly, the walking path is clear and seems to have no hassle on the player and also shows a clear direction for the player to travel in, and the wild grass isn't annoyingly spread out. I'm not going to judge the bottom water area since it looks undone. However for tiles, I think the log looks out of place. The palette is too light for this green saturated map ... maybe if the palette for it was darkened? Yeah, to be honest, I can't find anything else; this map is awesome. It's a big one so I hope that the player can run I'm going to give it a solid 9/10.

The map below is just a test map ... I'm currently switching over my hack Discovery to later gen-styled tiles so let me know if they look good or not and what I should change for them.
Credits listed in the thread.
Here's the map:
Spoiler:

/// Pokémon: Discovery
/// Pokémon: Fat Kid
/// Tile Insertion Tutorial For AdvanceMap
/// Pokémon Emerald Specials Resource Thread
/// Pokémon Emerald Decapitalization Patch
/// Emerald Titlescreen Cloud Removal Tutorial
/// Tutorial For Fixing Any ROM-related Bug
Old 3 Weeks Ago (11:15 AM).
Mr. Magius

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le pug View Post
Spoiler:
I definitely think that the striped grass tiles drown out the map and make the trees blend in too much with the ground. My suggestion would be to get rid of the darker stripes, and just use the colors in the lighter stripe to make a pattern for the grass. The bushes look great, but I don't like the skinny trees, nor the log tile. Overall though, I think these tiles are really pretty and work well together.
Old 3 Weeks Ago (3:04 PM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by Le pug.
Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Crystal Tier

Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deokishisu View Post
I definitely think that the striped grass tiles drown out the map and make the trees blend in too much with the ground. My suggestion would be to get rid of the darker stripes, and just use the colors in the lighter stripe to make a pattern for the grass. The bushes look great, but I don't like the skinny trees, nor the log tile. Overall though, I think these tiles are really pretty and work well together.
In terms of the grass, which do you think would fit better then? Image below
Spoiler:

I'm gonna change the log and the smaller bushes to look better as well

Edit: So how do these logs look? Good or should I find new ones?
Spoiler:

/// Pokémon: Discovery
/// Pokémon: Fat Kid
/// Tile Insertion Tutorial For AdvanceMap
/// Pokémon Emerald Specials Resource Thread
/// Pokémon Emerald Decapitalization Patch
/// Emerald Titlescreen Cloud Removal Tutorial
/// Tutorial For Fixing Any ROM-related Bug
Old 3 Weeks Ago (9:27 PM).
Gold Tier

Quote:
In terms of the grass, which do you think would fit better then? Image below
Spoiler:

I'm gonna change the log and the smaller bushes to look better as well

Edit: So how do these logs look? Good or should I find new ones?
Spoiler:
C looks best imo
Old 3 Weeks Ago (3:36 AM).
Focus.

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Small advice, that cave entrance shadow would look better if it was sprited like the forest entrance shadow. Aka lines and not these dotted pixels

Help us to keep progress going.
Old 3 Weeks Ago (12:10 PM).
Mr. Magius

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
...Cut for brevity...
C is definitely the best one. The logs look better as well. Good job! Makes the test map look much better.
Old 1 Week Ago (11:41 AM). Edited 1 Week Ago by snorlaxcare.

Map Name: Mt.Frost

Map Game: Ruby 1.0

Comments: The map takes place deep inside a frozen mountain. I wanted to create an elevated and quite steep-feeling canyon. What do you think of it? How does it appear to you? (I'm feeling lost in what I make of it because I have worked with it for a long time XD )

Mapshot: (press on the picture to enlarge)
Spoiler:
Old 5 Days Ago (5:28 AM). Edited 5 Days Ago by Spherical Ice.

Map Name: Quintial City

Map Game: Pokemon FireRed

Comments: This map is one of the first cities in a ROM Hack that I am helping with. You enter from the bottom while progressing through the story and leave through the top. It has the first gym, which is a water type. The house with the green roof is a pokemon daycare. The house with the gray roof is the pokemon school. Finally, the house with the orange roof is planned to be the mayor's house and he will give you an HM. All of the house tiles will probably change but other than that we will keep the rest of the tiles the same for the most part.

Mapshot:
Spoiler:

If you can't see the image, right click and click open in new tab, that worked for me. Thanks for reading and please give feedback.
Reply Post Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links