• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

☁ Sky High ☁ Flying-type Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Have you ever took Randy's Spearow in GSC/HGSS permanently?
You bet {XD} Every single playthrough; never returned it. Well, maybe once :P
Why does Spearow's neck and beak size differs a lot from Fearow, unlike most avian Pokemon and their evolution forms?
What Lycan said:
Spoiler:
In which aspect is Taillow better than Spearow? And in which part worse than Spearow?
It's colored navy blue, and gets the ability Scrappy. On the other hand, Fearow's line are the only bird Pokemon that can learn Drill Run. Also, that beak is worth every mention so there's that.
Taillow is known for standing up against a foe who's bigger than it. Which Pokemon has a similar trait?
Treecko's Sapphire Dex entry implies a similar trait.
TREECKO is cool, calm, and collected - it never panics under any situation. If a bigger foe were to glare at this POKéMON, it would glare right back without conceding an inch of ground.
Why is that Taillow is able to learn Boomburst as an Egg Move, while unable to learn Hyper Voice permanently though any method?
Unlike Hyper Voice, Boomburst involves producing sound waves; this means that Taillow doesn't have to scream at the top of its lungs to execute the move.

Winner - Spearow; according to Professor Oak, Fearow is even worth throwing your Master Ball at:
yeah-fearow-or-tentacruel_o_1499963.jpg

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
Quoted for notifications.

Quoted for notifications.

Spoiler: My answers to the CLASH
[S-HIGHLIGHT]Since there are only a few active members, we're on Guess Mode. Check the Grand Thread for glossary terms. Grand Thread is referring to our club's original post, in case you aren't aware.[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

• Have you ever took Randy's Spearow in GSC/HGSS permanently?
    I did. -Says proudly with any signs of remorse-
    Spoiler:

Joking aside, I did it out of curiosity as a child.
  • Why does Spearow's neck and beak size differs a lot from Fearow, unlike most avian Pokemon and their evolution forms?
    How do I know? Do I look like a Fearow to you? :v
    Ahem. I think it evolved into that form, so that it can hunt easily?
  • In which aspect is Taillow better than Spearow? And in which part worse than Spearow?
    Taillow is obviously the bae. I mean the Tailow line look classy and handsome, only second to the Rufflet line. Maybe Fearow's long beak makes up for Spearow uninspiring look?
  • Taillow is known for standing up against a foe who's bigger than it. Which Pokemon has a similar trait?
    Rufflet's Gen V Pokedex entries said:
    They crush berries with their talons. They bravely stand up to any opponent, no matter how strong it is. They will challenge anything, even strong opponents, without fear. Their frequent fights help them become stronger. It stands up to massive opponents, not out of courage, but out of recklessness. But that is how it gets stronger.
    I've thought of a better example, but that Pokemon has slipped off my mind. {XD} So I'm going for Rufflet for the time being.
  • Why is that Taillow is able to learn Boomburst as an Egg Move, while unable to learn Hyper Voice permanently though any method?
    I believe both Seth has summed up the points perfectly. I think the logic behind Boomburst works similarly with the whistling sounds from air vents, while Hyper Voice involves a Pokemon screaming/shouting. Thus Taillow is able to inherit the said move.

Vote: Taillow.

Spoiler: Results
zsjw3DO.png

Finally I won my first ever CLASH, after 4 straight loses. -manly tears-

Sun has won 150 Chips!

Additional notice

Members of this club are allowed access to the following clubs without signing up:
@Brain Over Brawn@ Psychic-type Club
The Fighting-type VIP Dojo!

You are also allowed to join their CLASH, Hunt and other activities/events in the future. However you are not allowed to purchase anything from the aforementioned clubs' shop, unless you're a member.

Currency System change

Engaging in a convo! Yeah simple, right? :) - 10 Chips/10 Posts The cancellation is effective immediately.
Every month an active regular member receives 100 Chips, VIP Members gets 200 Chips and 400 Chips for the in-clubs staff. (Please do note that they do not stack up in any ways.)

Feel free to ask for definitions in case you need help.

In case no one replies after this post, I'll be posting the #2 CLASH here, so stay tuned! ;)

Last edited:

Sun

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
*swoops in*

Can I join?

This was creative right? Right?

No you can't

, is what I'm gonna say if you can't!

Welcome to the club! Pick yourself a Flying-type partner. And ahem, you already know the usual rule Mr. Battle Officer. :B

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
So let's go against the deadness curse caused by the Club of the Month. Here are some questions for you:
-Do you think every flying type should be able to learn Fly?
-Why does the move Fly even exist? Why does a bird need a cd to learn it how to Fly?

Oh, and hi Ketsu btw! o/

Years
Do you think every flying type should be able to learn Fly?

Not exactly, because if you look at the learnset for the move, no dual Bug/Flying-types are on there and it is logical they aren't because a little insect would never be able to carry a human (although we then have Yanmega's HG Pokedex entry which would suggest it, but it still doesn't learn the move) but then the question that remains is how a small bird is able to carry a human. We may never know that, because Game Freak seem to never apply realism most of the time.

Lycanthropy

Years
Do you think every flying type should be able to learn Fly?

Not exactly, because if you look at the learnset for the move, no dual Bug/Flying-types are on there and it is logical they aren't because a little insect would never be able to carry a human (although we then have Yanmega's HG Pokedex entry which would suggest it, but it still doesn't learn the move) but then the question that remains is how a small bird is able to carry a human. We may never know that, because Game Freak seem to never apply realism most of the time.

Probably, but on the other hand there are also Pokémon like Vibrava and Golurk who can learn Fly. Vibrava isn't doesn't look much different than the flying insects, yet is able to learn the move without even having the flying type. But I guess that's just Pokémon logic again that loves to make dragons overpowered. Golurk is a completely different story, it's really funny they can learn Fly, giving it a completely different meaning than you would guess on first thought. A shame they're overshadowing the Pokémon like Yanmega though. Yanmega is a great Pokémon and with its Air Slash very useful as flying type, but as it can't learn Fly you almost automatically assume it's worthless.

Sun

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017

Notice

Spoiler: Older announcements
These clubs will be shutting down,
@Brain Over Brawn@ Psychic-type Club
The Fighting-type VIP Dojo!
☁ Sky High ☁ Flying-type Club

... if you are not active!

Now, now hold those angers in! I have 2 things to announce for real.

I'm mainly busy with the event as I've mentioned (to some of you). It's an official event for PokéCommunity, that event will also mark the premiere of Pokémon Hunts! Joining the said Global PC event rewards you with at least 7000 Chips! Stay tuned for Pokemon Community's Get Together event!

Since I'm busy Gothet is going to watch over our Psychic-type Club and Lycan for the Flying-type Club. While there's no official vice-guy for the VIP Dojo, so I'll try my best to help keep the Fighting-type Club. I'll be back around a week, take care guys. :)

Lycan has been authorized to organize a Clash, remember to support him, guys! :)

EDIT:
Do not forget to vote for your favorite Flying-type Pokemon! (Click here to enter the voting thread)

Quote this post and tell me your votes, you'll be rewarded with 1000 Chips for participating the vote.

Don't forget the monthly PGen CoTM votes as well. (Click here to enter the voting thread)

You'll be rewarded with 1000 Chips for participating the CoTM. An additional 3000 Chips if your vote wins.

Last edited:

Lycanthropy

Years
Welcome to Sky High's second CLASH! This time we compare two aquatic birds!

[a id]sh_clash2[/a id]Pokémon Clash #2
279.gif
581.gif

Pelipper vs. Swanna
  1. Doesn't the ability to learn both Fly and Surf make them perfect HM slaves?
  2. If you compare the two gifs above, why does Swanna look so terribly huge compared to Pelipper?
  3. Winona uses Pelipper, whereas Skyla used Swanna. Ever had problem beating either of the two?
  4. In which aspect is Pelipper better than Swanna? And in which part worse than Swanna?
  5. Why is literally every move Swanna learns through levelling blue (either of the flying or water type)? No more diversity, seriously?
  6. Pelipper is said to transport Pokémon and items in its bill. Would risk a flight that way, considering he could just swallow you if you were a small Pokémon? Or is this even the way he carries you with Fly?
    Please check the grand thread for the current mode... is what I wanted to say, but yeah, then there's the problem I'm not able to edit Sun's post.
    Which Pokemon should win this CLASH?
    Don't be shy! Tell us why!

DarkSkys

Still Alone, Still Alive, Still Unbroken
Years
  1. Doesn't the ability to learn both Fly and Surf make them perfect HM slaves?
  2. If you compare the two gifs above, why does Swanna look so terribly huge compared to Pelipper?
  3. Winona uses Pelipper, whereas Skyla used Swanna. Ever had problem beating either of the two?
  4. In which aspect is Pelipper better than Swanna? And in which part worse than Swanna?
  5. Why is literally every move Swanna learns through levelling blue (either of the flying or water type)? No more diversity, seriously?
  6. Pelipper is said to transport Pokémon and items in its bill. Would risk a flight that way, considering he could just swallow you if you were a small Pokémon? Or is this even the way he carries you with Fly?
I wouldn't use them as HM Slaves, though at one point wasn't Defog an HM? Which is where I has 1 that had two HM moves. But other then that, I wouldn't have two HM moves on certain Pokémon, unless it was something like Bidoof or a must need in a small amount of time.

If we were to compare the gifs, Swanna looks taller & Pelipper looks fatter. Most the sizes of the bills.

As for being able to beat them, I never really had a problem. I usually carry a flying type with me and usually have it over level'd before facing a gym leader with Flying types.

#4 is a bit of a trick, I can't really say. Both come from water and air, Wingull is basically a Seagull and Ducklett is a Duck.

The movepool is wraped around its type, same goes for Pidgey (Normal/Flying), Takle, Ouick Attack. Though it learns Sand Attack, that's the only Gound move it can learn.

I'd imange Pokemon are more bulker then the Animals there designed after. If I had to say, I'd have to say you'd ride on its back behind the wings.

As for overall thoughts on the two, personally I'd have to go with Pelipper. Mostly due to the original Gen 3 & remakes Wingull gave me most of my Gym wins and Pelipper gave me the win over the Elite 4 & Champion.

Reactions: Sun

Killua

Starter: scyther!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love flying types, they are speedy, and have some of the coolost desing and are always available pretty early in the game and are great.

Doesn't the ability to learn both Fly and Surf make them perfect HM slaves?
If you compare the two gifs above, why does Swanna look so terribly huge compared to Pelipper?
Winona uses Pelipper, whereas Skyla used Swanna. Ever had problem beating either of the two?
In which aspect is Pelipper better than Swanna? And in which part worse than Swanna?
Why is literally every move Swanna learns through levelling blue (either of the flying or water type)? No more diversity, seriously?
Pelipper is said to transport Pokémon and items in its bill. Would risk a flight that way, considering he could just swallow you if you were a small Pokémon? Or is this even the way he carries you with Fly?

I never used them with Surf at this point I normally had a good leveled water poke, but in both i used fly and it was always good.

Swanna is taller Pelliper fatter

3 Winona, I had to rely in both underleveled Absol and Castform since I couldn't use tentacruel and Blaziken effectively and my other Poke was a level 2 Zigzagoon.

4 I never liked Pelliper, because of the desingn, stats wise they are not very different.

Dunno Maybe because it is a Blue Cisne? (lame answer i know...)

As dark Sky said it is one of the few poke that it makes sense as something were you would fly, and I would risk he doesn't swallow the letters im PMD.

As overall I used Pelliper in Gen 3 but then i starrted using an Altaria

And i used Swanna more so i'll stick with Swanna

Last edited by a moderator:

Sun

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
Spoiler: Clash related
I'm not a fan of the term, so no! XD

If you compare the two gifs above, why does Swanna look so terribly huge compared to Pelipper?
Swanna is bigger, because Swanna is 4'3" while Pelipper is merely 3'11"!

Winona uses Pelipper, whereas Skyla used Swanna. Ever had problem beating either of the two?
I didn't have problems on taking them both down, however, Pelipper took slightly longer due to its bulk and its tendency to spam the move Protect!

In which aspect is Pelipper better than Swanna? And in which part worse than Swanna?
Pelipper is slightly better on movepool, because it pre-evolution form has access to Air Slash and Quick Attack, as a Pelipper it can learn Shock Wave. Not to mention it is bulk as well! Swanna is pretty on the aesthetic and has a prettier cry.

Why is literally every move Swanna learns through levelling blue (either of the flying or water type)? No more diversity, seriously?
It would be great if she has access to Petal Dance, not the best move but definitely something that will set her apart from her fellow Water/Flying comrades. As for the reason behind is idk, hahaha. Well, I guess Game Freak/Creature Inc. didn't know/have any idea how to further expand Swanna's learnable moveset, which is sad.

Pelipper is said to transport Pokémon and items in its bill. Would risk a flight that way, considering he could just swallow you if you were a small Pokémon? Or is this even the way he carries you with Fly?
I love this question btw, but yes it could accidentally swallow the Pokemon in its beak. Or not if it's tongue acts

I vote for Pelipper, I've used this Pokemon for a lot of times in RSE. (:

Quoted for notifications
Lycan has received:
400 Chips for being a staff of this club.

Quoted for notifications
Seth has received:
100 Chips for being a member.

Quoted for notifications
Ketsu has received:
a Swablu as a free starter.
1000 Chips for joining Sky High.

Quoted for notifications
DarkSkys has received:

Quoted for notifications
absol!!! has received:
a Scyther as a free starter.
1000 Chips for joining Sky High.

Members of the Sky High, I'm pleased to announce that we are gathering sign ups for our Pokémon Hunts' grand premiere. Whether you are able to participate the actual event or not, we would like you to support your friends and fellow club allies who participated this event!

We also have promotions for members of this club and its sister clubs, for more details please check out:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=359752

Lycanthropy

Years
I haven't used them as real HM "slaves", because they're both decent Pokémon to use and Surf and Fly are very useful moves to have on your team, both in battles and as field moves. It's annoying Wingull aren't able to learn Surf though.

I asked that as a serious question. It does look huge. It's probably because of that neck: Swanna's tall and Pelipper's head is directly attached to its body.

Nope, Thunderbolt is your solution.

I guess Pelipper looks kinda derpy and has a not-so-great speed stat, but on the other hand it has access to fancy moves such as Stockpile and Swallow. And I like it because of its role it played in Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team. Swanna looks better (although like its irritated in the Gen V games), but has a really limited move pool.

Yeah, like DarkSkys said above, it's just fit around its type. You'd expect it to learn a normal type move though, almost every Pokémon learns one (even if it's just a simple status move).

Sorry for that second question, but it looks like a fun thought. I think that'd be great, because you're probably too big to be swallowed as in one piece, meaning you're safe. Looking at Pelipper's size, a human should be able to fit in there in a fetus posture. It's probably not very comfortable, but you have yourself a nice little cabin.

I vote for Pelipper, mainly for nostalgia reasons.

Alright, ending this CLASH here. You ready?
I roll my twenty-sided dice. Odd means Pelipper, even means Swanna, and the result is...
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Sun

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
Might I ask what the 100 chips is for?

I swear it's not for gambling, it's not the edible kind either.

Our former Scenario Campaign involves post counts, whereas this new Chip system uses an in-club currency.

You use the in-club currency to buy new Pokémon for your club team*, evolutionary items and even evolving Pokémon, so on!

These Pokémon will be used for in-club Battle Showdown as well.*

And for more details check this out:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=352032#sh_shop

DarkSkys

Still Alone, Still Alive, Still Unbroken
Years
I swear it's not for gambling, it's not the edible kind either.

Our former Scenario Campaign involves post counts, whereas this new Chip system uses an in-club currency.

You use the in-club currency to buy new Pokémon for your club team*, evolutionary items and even evolving Pokémon, so on!

These Pokémon will be used for in-club Battle Showdown as well.*

Coming from you it is gambling

So then how much are the Pokémon and how do you obtain one?

Pond

I'm not cute, I'll mess you up.
Years
helloo! i hope I'm doing this right. x:

Your nickname: Pond

Your Flying-Type Club-Campaign Partner: Murkrow

Reason for joining the club: Flying-type pokemon are my favorite! I always love their designs and they never fail me in battle. They're just awesome.

I love both pelipper and swanna, though both don't seem to be amazingly popular or anything. ;o;

Sun

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
Coming from you it is gambling

So then how much are the Pokémon and how do you obtain one?

The co-owners of Fighting Dojo, Brain Over Brawn, Sky High and I are going to have a meeting, we will be deciding the prices soon.

Participating any in-club activities, like the Clash, Hunts and so on, is how you obtain Chips.

As for the Pokémon, you have to buy them from the shop. As I said from my previous response:

helloo! i hope I'm doing this right. x:

Your nickname: Pond

Your Flying-Type Club-Campaign Partner: Murkrow

Reason for joining the club: Flying-type pokemon are my favorite! I always love their designs and they never fail me in battle. They're just awesome.

I love both pelipper and swanna, though both don't seem to be amazingly popular or anything. ;o;

According to club standards, it is! A bit too formal in my opinion, but hey my opinion doesn't really matter that much; whether it's you having fun or not is what truly matters! ;)

Pond has received:
- A Murkrow as a starter partner.
- 1000 Chips for joining Sky High!

If you have the time please join the following GT event as well, you'll gain Chips if you win the said event! (:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=359752

Sun

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
Spoiler: For the precious members of Brain Over Brawn
Quoted for notifications
Quoted for notifications
Quoted for notifications
Quoted for notifications
Quoted for notifications

First, I would love to say a million thanks to those who were part of Brain Over Brawn for the past year. It has been an amazing journey knowing you guys! While the Psychic Club is officially disbanding, it doesn't end right there! If you guys wanna continue your progress from the Psychic Club, your Chips are automatically carried over here to Sky High. Due to the rules, a sign up is still needed in case you haven't yet.

I will ask the permission of Brendino if I'm allowed to make you guys an Emblem. That Emblem is to commemorate all the efforts and support you have all contributed! In case that isn't permitted I guess I can breed you guys the very first starter you have chosen in BOB, with beneficial IV spreads and Nature, haha.

Thanks again!

Spoiler: Sky High notices
Quoted for notifications
Lycan has received:
400 Chips for being a staff of this club.

Quoted for notifications
Seth has received:

Quoted for notifications
Ketsu has received:
200 Chips for being VIP member.

Quoted for notifications
DarkSkys has received:

Quoted for notifications
absol!!! has received:

Due to the closure of Brain Over Brawn and ownership transfer of Fighting Dojo, Battle Officers are no longer needed for Sky High. Lycan's going to take over the said position's responsibilities. To applause Ketsu's efforts as a Battle Officer for three clubs, he will given the title of VIP Member.

With the club changes, the rules have been amended slightly.

Lycan and I are also beginning the price discussions of the items and Pokemon for our Club Shop.

Last but never least, Lycan is introducing a new system for our club, it will be temporarily named as Medals and Trophies. It's going to be our club's highlight, stay tuned!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back