Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing
Reload this Page DCC Random Writing Nonsense

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Fan Fiction and Writing Submit your stories and poems.

Old April 14th, 2015 (08:16 AM).
Not a Baygel

Nature: Sassy
Quote originally posted by Sonata:
I don't know if I'll be as helpful as others but, when I go to name someone or something I just think of what sounds good really. For places I just throw together some random letters and try to make something out of it unless I have a theme for the place or thing. If I'm planning to make a town the personification of Love for example then I'll translate the word into different languages until I find something that sounds nice and then bastardize it a little bit and make it sound more normal and less foreign as well as make it sound like something that would fit in my setting. As for intelligent beings, I usually just give them normal names like Jeff or Steve unless they have a more important role in the story, in which case you might do the same thing that I talked about with places and bastardize a translated word that reveals something about the character.
More or less me when it comes to finding names for places. For instance some fics I base the setting on European countries so I would look up the city names, pick a couple and mash them together into one name (similar how several Pokemon names were localized). As for a person I tend to pick a name out of random, although sometimes I use Behind the Name if I want a specific name that relates to a character.

As for titles, I tend to go if it relates to the story. Sometimes I would think of one right away, sometimes I would just think of a tentative title until a few chapters later there's one that I like. When it comes to my much shorter works I would go for song lyrics if it fits the story well.

Flash Fiction Week #15
Genre of the week (Autobiographies)
Old April 14th, 2015 (03:49 PM).
Remember NovEnder
Super Moderator

Fortunately, the stories that I write have real world places for the settings, so I don't have to think much about names for places. As for characters, I either look up names with meanings that aren't too obvious, or just go with whatever pops into my head in random spurts of inspiration.

For my titles, I actually pulled a few lines from presidential speeches that sounded good and fit my story. An example is "Long Twilight Struggle," which is a phrase from John F. Kennedy's speech that I liked and wrote down to remember. When I looked up the rest of the speech, there were other lines that fit the themes of the four books in the series, and those phrases became the titles.

Other than that, I just choose phrases or words that fir the theme of the story.
Old April 21st, 2015 (08:38 AM).

Quote originally posted by Astinus:
Fortunately, the stories that I write have real world places for the settings, so I don't have to think much about names for places.
There's this unfinished story I did for NaNoWriMo whose setting I hadn't quite decided.
So I wrote and it ended up looking a lot like Paris and its surroundings.
Mostly because I wrote something I could relate too.
But since I hadn't decided, I tended not to name places and the only proper name there is in it is a restaurant "Chez Mathilde" that sounds like the regular "crêperie" in the middle of what could only be St Michel's area... It helped that it was a fantasy story (Werewolves vs Vampires stuff, I was particularly uninspired that year...)

You can indeed make up a lot of things when you write fantasy, but even when it's about the real world, you can take some liberties.
The only instance where I invented less place and insisted on making it as accurate as possible was a romantic story I made for an anonymous fanfiction prompts board about another game.
I was so outraged by them thinking Paris' cabarets in the 1920's were basically brothels (even though most self righteous and very local people from that epoch may have thought so...) that I thoroughly schooled them about proper Parisian culture between 1920 and WWII with real places, real names and a romantic story between two characters torn from their original medieval fantasy setting.

Some of those places are gone though... From the descriptions I read both on Wikipedia and books, some of them looked marvelous, even the less respected establishments.
It was fun looking up the old streets names (and hard too!). I can't believe some of them changed within the century when I passed through them often when I was a student and myself went to drink in a café near the Moulin Rouge...

I think research is truly about 75% of the fun.
Old 1 Week Ago (05:08 AM).
The Master of Pokemon Breeding
Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via ICQ to Konekodemon Send a message via AIM to Konekodemon Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Konekodemon Send a message via Yahoo to Konekodemon Send a message via Skype™ to Konekodemon
This really isn't a sign up post just wanted to find out something. Are any of you reviewers Bleach fans? I was going to ask for a review on my Bleach story but I need someone who knows Bleach to look over it.

Please check out my InuYasha fanfiction and tell me what you think.
Sign up for Vizzard to play free Retro Games online: http://www.vizzed.com/boards/profile.php?id=231549&ref=61528
[/sig-reason]
Old 1 Week Ago (08:41 AM).
Not a Baygel

Quote originally posted by Konekodemon:
This really isn't a sign up post just wanted to find out something. Are any of you reviewers Bleach fans? I was going to ask for a review on my Bleach story but I need someone who knows Bleach to look over it.
Moved this from the Monthly Review Challenge to here as that thread is for sign-ups and keeping track of reviews. If requesting a review, either VM/PM a few active members or here.

Anyways, posting fanfics of other fandoms in a Pokemon forum is usually tough as a lot of Pokemon fans probably aren't/don't follow other fandoms. Me personally I don't follow Bleach, so I can't help you there. If you post your fic in other sites like FFnet and/or Archive of Our Own you might have better luck. You can still ask around, but don't be surprised if several people you asked aren't familiar with Bleach either.

Flash Fiction Week #15
Old 1 Week Ago (05:34 AM).
Crystal Tier

Send a message via ICQ to Konekodemon Send a message via AIM to Konekodemon Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Konekodemon Send a message via Yahoo to Konekodemon Send a message via Skype™ to Konekodemon
Quote originally posted by Bay Alexison:
Moved this from the Monthly Review Challenge to here as that thread is for sign-ups and keeping track of reviews. If requesting a review, either VM/PM a few active members or here.

Anyways, posting fanfics of other fandoms in a Pokemon forum is usually tough as a lot of Pokemon fans probably aren't/don't follow other fandoms. Me personally I don't follow Bleach, so I can't help you there. If you post your fic in other sites like FFnet and/or Archive of Our Own you might have better luck. You can still ask around, but don't be surprised if several people you asked aren't familiar with Bleach either.
It's just I worked very hard on chapter two writing over 8,000 words. I've never written that much before. Well, expect for one time on my DBZ fic and it's a bit disappointing that not a single person on any site i post it to says, "Awesome job! Well done!"

Sign up for Vizzard to play free Retro Games online: http://www.vizzed.com/boards/profile.php?id=231549&ref=61528
[/sig-reason]
Old 1 Week Ago (07:30 AM).
Not a Baygel

It's just I worked very hard on chapter two writing over 8,000 words. I've never written that much before. Well, expect for one time on my DBZ fic and it's a bit disappointing that not a single person on any site i post it to says, "Awesome job! Well done!"
Believe me, I know how it feels to work on a chapter/story you're very excited about but get no comments. You then suddenly think your work is terrible. I struggled with this for several months now.

I totally understand you wanting to get comments and I've also asked around myself. Do be aware though you're likely to not get much comments on your Bleach story in a Pokemon forum. Not sure what else I can say, to be honest.

Flash Fiction Week #15
Old 1 Week Ago (07:48 AM).
Crystal Tier

I don't care about that. If I get even one comment that'll be enough.

[/sig-reason]
Old 1 Week Ago (07:54 AM).
Not a Baygel

I don't care about that. If I get even one comment that'll be enough.
And that's natural to feel that way. I too would like to get at least one on several of my fics, but many of them I got no comments. Everyone experiences that. If you become too persistent in wanting to get just one comment, though, you might drive many people away (I kinda did that unintentionally and that led to some people thinking differently of me).

Flash Fiction Week #15
Old 1 Week Ago (08:08 AM).
Crystal Tier

I guess I could try the trade off switch which is, "I'll review yours if you review mine."

[/sig-reason]
Old 1 Week Ago (05:13 PM).
Not a Baygel

I guess I could try the trade off switch which is, "I'll review yours if you review mine."
I know several people that did that I used to do that myself long ago! Do keep in mind some people might not like that if you're only reviewing a story to get a review back, so I advise also review a story because you want to help and/or give general feedback.

Flash Fiction Week #15
Old 5 Days Ago (12:07 PM).
Across the eons...
Gold Tier

Nature: Quiet
Just wanted to chime in that I've definitely felt what you're feeling. The trade-off idea is a good one. I'd also recommend just getting out there and reading and reviewing other peoples' stories. First of all, it means you've commented on someone else's work, which they will appreciate as much as you would if someone commented on your fic. Second, it makes you more visible within the community. If you post good advice and are generally helpful, people are going to notice you more and are more likely to click the link in your sig. That's a bit selfish, but let's face it: we wouldn't be posting our stuff online if we didn't want people to read it. Last but certainly not least, there's some very good fanfiction out there! You should go find and enjoy as much of it as you can, because that's kind of the point. While you're doing that, look at how other people write. Learn from their successes as well as their mistakes. Think hard about what you've enjoyed reading, and figure out how to translate that into your writing. In my experience, it's hard to write well if you don't also feed your imagination by reading.
Old 3 Days Ago (02:11 PM).
you can breathe now. x

Nature: Careful
Um, hi. I haven't been on pokecommunity for a while, but I'd like to come around again and post if I can. I used to write many one-shots and I also posted my OT journey fic, Survival Project, here years ago. Anyone remember me? Maybe? XD

Either way, good to be back and I hope to see some of you around.
Old 3 Days Ago (06:59 PM).
I'M AN ANGRY SCIENTIST!!
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bobandbill
I do, but then I also see you on sppf. =p Welcome back!

I've actually been kinda inactive, but I'm hoping to change that soon myself.
Old 3 Days Ago (08:56 PM).
Across the eons...
Gold Tier

Yep, I remember you! You were the first person to review the Eon Chronicles when I first posted it back in 2007. Man, peeps from way back when are coming out of the woodwork these days. I'm here, Pokemon_Master_0 is posting his new fic, you're back...so good.

Now to actually write something.
Old 2 Days Ago (01:12 AM).
you can breathe now. x

Hi, bobandbill! I know you!

@txteclipse: I also saw you on the NaNoWriMo forums this year. :~)
Old 2 Days Ago (04:38 AM).

Nature: Adamant
'I don't remember you, but nice to meet you.
Old 2 Days Ago (05:51 AM).
Just Some Average Anthropomorphic Gallade

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to slashtiki
Hey, diamondpearl! I don't know you but I'm pretty sure I will in the coming days. Nice to meet you!
A (Very) Short Dictionary To ROM Hacking Lingo!
Old 2 Days Ago (09:17 AM).
Not a Baygel

I too been seeing you at sppf often diamondpearl, but glad you're here also and happy you got the warm welcomes here!

Also, while I'm still here any of you remember a couple months ago I mention bringing back the Blitz Writing Challenge soon? Heads up, I'll be doing signups May 25th (tomorrow), and the challenge will start June 1st!

Flash Fiction Week #15
Old 2 Days Ago (01:27 PM).
Remember NovEnder
Super Moderator

I remember you, diamondpearl! But...I also sometimes lurk SPPf as a guest, and I keep meaning to read through your new fics. I did read through Survival Project when you finished it!

Can't wait for the writing blitz, Bay! Looking forward to it and the extra burst of inspiration that comes when your fellow writers are cheering/competing!
Old 2 Days Ago (08:25 PM).
I won't let you die
Super Moderator

Nature: Calm
Hey there, Diamondandpearl! I don't think I was around when you were active, but I look forward to seeing you around.

And yes! I'm so looking forward to the writing blitz, haha.

Signature

Alistar
The Minotaur

I'll carry you early game,
So you can carry me late.

Old 2 Days Ago (08:51 PM).
Because fan-fiction matters... to me.

A writing challenge? I better get keyboard insurance!
Old 1 Day Ago (10:30 AM). Edited 1 Day Ago by txteclipse.
Across the eons...
Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by diamondpearl876:
@txteclipse: I also saw you on the NaNoWriMo forums this year. :~)
Ah, right. I knew I had talked to you recently, I just couldn't remember where, lol. How'd your fic go? I got something on the order of 19,000 words in November, then another 22,000 in April.

Also, signed up for the blitz! Looking forward to it.
Old 1 Day Ago (11:16 AM).
you can breathe now. x

Quote originally posted by txteclipse:
Ah, right. I knew I had talked to you recently, I just couldn't remember where, lol. How'd your fic go? I got something on the order of 19,000 words in November, then another 22,000 in April.

Also, signed up for the blitz! Looking forward to it.
Nice! I didn't really have time to do NaNoWriMo officially, but I did rewrite the entire beginning of my fic Love and Other Nightmares as well as a few new chapters.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links