• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELVISTHEGUY

I wouldn't be playing with a Rhyperior in 5th Gen, since it has 6 elemental weaknesses, including ice and water, which would make it get owned by hail and rain teams.
Anyways presuming you're making a Sandstorm team I would be going with Tyranitar as a Lead, since it has an awesome abilty.
Oh and I forgot to state that even though Tyranitar has many elemental weaknesses it could be a beast if played right! (:

Lati-Fan95

I completed my HG Pokedex!^^
Years
How about Trick Room? Rhyperior isn´t really the fastest Pokemon but if you´d be in TR, that would actually be a advantage!^^ Search some good TR user (I usually use Reuniclus for this but that´s your decision), a way to set TR up (Follow Me, Rage Powder or Fake Out will usually do on a partner): I´d suggest Amoonguss since you get almost-priority Spore in TR (if it survives, of course...) or maybe Hitmontop bcause it usually carries Priority Moves only so it´ll usually attack first no matter what!^^

As for movesets:

Reuniclus @Life Orb/White Herb
Trait: Magic Guard
IVs: 0 Spe
Nature: Quiet (+SpA; -Spe)
EVs: 252 SpA, 252 HP, 4 Def/SpD
-Psyshock/Psychic
-Focus Blast/HP Fighting
-Shadow Ball
-Trick Room

Pretty mainstream, I know but it´s very good!^^ Psychic is STAB and if you want 10 points more damage, Psyshock if you want to hit stuff like Jellicent or Blissey. Focus Blast works well against Dark types. Alternatively, you can use HP Fighting but that´d mean a serious strength drop but 100 acc... Choose whatever you prefer!^^ Shadow Ball takes care of Ghosts and other Psychics and TR... Yeah, TR is pretty much the main point of this set because you this lets Reuniclus´ pretty bad speed work for you cuz, yeah, it´ll pretty much always attack first!^^

Oh, and item-wise: Use Life Orb for more power but White Herb if you´re scared of Taunt, Fake Out, Encore etc.

Amoonguss @Focus Sash/White Herb
Trait: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP, 128 Def, 128SpD
Nature: Relaxed (+Def;-Spe), Sassy (+SpD;-Spe)
IVs: 0 Spe
-Spore
-Rage Powder
-Sludge Bomb
-Giga Drain

The strategy is simple: 1st turn: Rage Powder to set TR up, 2nd Turn: Spore the most threatening Pokemon 3rd turn: Recover with Giga Drain or Spore the 2nd Pokemon!^^ Sludge Bomb helps against other Plants!^^
Items: Yeah, Focus Sash ensures that Reuniclus doesn´t take hits (except for spread moves, of course...) and White Herb safes you from Taunt, Fake Out, Encore etc.!^^

Hitmontop @Life Orb/Eject Button
EVs: 252 HP, 200 Atk, 56 SpD/Def (if you don´t want Intimidate)
Nature: Adamant (+Atk;-SpA), Brave (+Atk;-Spe)
Trait: Intimidate/Technician
Attacks:
-Fake Out
-Mach Punch
-Wide Guard/Detect
-Sucker punch

This one is more all-round supporter-ish: Use Fake Out on the TR counter/Reuniclus counter and make sure TR is set up!^^ Then, attack away!^^ Wide Guard is for protection against Spread moves like Water Spout, Surf and Blizzard (^^)... Oh, and Sucker Punch is coverage!^^

Items: Since Priority moves don´t do much damage, Life Orb might be a good option. Or if you feel a little gimmicky today, try out Eject Button+Intimidate: The Eject Button lets you recycle the effects of Fake Out and Intimidate due to forced switch-out!^^ Might come in handy when Hitmontop can´t do much or when you feel like wanting to annoy the opponent with Fake Out later!^^

Last edited:

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
Yeah, but which one then? I don't really have a priority attacker...and Scizor can fill that role very well. But Skarmory can wall Haxorus, although I'd have to watch out for a magnet...Magnezone. Scizor also has problems with it...but U-turn can fix it, right? And then, I can make Magnezone trap its melting steel friend which is also a problem for it...Heatran.
So, I'll just use Scizor, then!

Skarm should ALWAYS run a Shed Shell to escape from Magnezone this gen considering its especially high in usage so its a non issue for a smart Skarmory.

Scizor would be better on an offensive team to counter Haxorus, skarm would fit more on a stallish team. Forretress and Ferrothorn also can beat Haxorus pretty well.

Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2015
Well, finally. I got my team.

LUCARIO
EMPOLEON
STARAPTOR
ROSERADE
HOUNDOOM/ROTOM
GABITE

Yeah, if someone would help me choose Houndoom or Rotom, I'd be VERY appreciative.

Thanks to everyone for all the help!

Years
Well, finally. I got my team.

LUCARIO
EMPOLEON
STARAPTOR
ROSERADE
HOUNDOOM/ROTOM
GABITE

Yeah, if someone would help me choose Houndoom or Rotom, I'd be VERY appreciative.

Thanks to everyone for all the help!

Rotom. It has two double weaknesses, as Houndoom has four. Personally I wouldn't use either, as they are not the best. But with Rotom, it has a lot of resistances. I would have volt switch, thunder, and shadow ball for the moves. Then the rest is up to you. But I am not quite sure how you will run that team, but it seems useful. I hope this helped, good luck with your team!

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
Skarm should ALWAYS run a Shed Shell to escape from Magnezone this gen considering its especially high in usage so its a non issue for a smart Skarmory.

Scizor would be better on an offensive team to counter Haxorus, skarm would fit more on a stallish team. Forretress and Ferrothorn also can beat Haxorus pretty well.
Alright, it's Scizor. Because I'm running an offensive team. I prefer to see my opponents faint from an attack in a split-second rather than seeing it faint due to being tired from attacking my Pokemon and being gradually damaged. And I'll use Forretress too to use Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin (this is fine, right?). And another question...I CAN use revenge killers instantly, right? (As in, revenge killers are supposed to faint the opponent that brought the revenge killer's teammate down. Terrakion's my revenge killer and a good counter to Blissey/Chansey which threatens Celebi, Rotom-W and Heatran, a part of my team. I'm asking whether I could just switch in Terrakion whenever Blissey's around.)
If Forretress wouldn't be good to put Stealth Rock, can I use Ferrothorn to do whatever Forretress was asked to do (Rapid Spin + Stealth Rock)?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Alright, it's Scizor. Because I'm running an offensive team. I prefer to see my opponents faint from an attack in a split-second rather than seeing it faint due to being tired from attacking my Pokemon and being gradually damaged. And I'll use Forretress too to use Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin (this is fine, right?). And another question...I CAN use revenge killers instantly, right? (As in, revenge killers are supposed to faint the opponent that brought the revenge killer's teammate down. Terrakion's my revenge killer and a good counter to Blissey/Chansey which threatens Celebi, Rotom-W and Heatran, a part of my team. I'm asking whether I could just switch in Terrakion whenever Blissey's around.)
If Forretress wouldn't be good to put Stealth Rock, can I use Ferrothorn to do whatever Forretress was asked to do (Rapid Spin + Stealth Rock)?

Not exactly. While Ferrothorn can lay down Stealth Rock/Spikes like Forretress can, it can't learn Rapid Spin.

Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2015
Okay remember when I said I had my final team done? I lied.

THIS IS IT

EMPOLEON
LUCARIO
WEAVILE (As of in about 3 hours: Currently a Sneasel)
ROSERADE
GABITE
STARAPTOR

Yeah, I'm gonna post a thing in In-Game Team Help with all the movesets and EVs and natures and items. But what is an EV? Thanks to everyone!

Spencer

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
Okay then...and a question that may be answered once, but I still don't understand the answer.
Can I use revenge killers instantly? (As in, revenge killers are supposed to faint the opponent that brought the revenge killer's teammate down. Terrakion's my revenge killer and a good counter to Blissey/Chansey which threatens Celebi, Rotom-W and Heatran, a part of my team. I'm asking whether I could just send in Terrakion whenever Blissey's around.)
And if you'd like to know about EVs, how about looking at this page?

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Effort_values

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2014
Is it against the rules to lay a ton of entry hazards, and use a fast Pokemon that learns roar to spam roar to give the opposing team's Pokémon a lot of damage?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Is it against the rules to lay a ton of entry hazards, and use a fast Pokemon that learns roar to spam roar to give the opposing team's Pokémon a lot of damage?

Nope, that's pretty much the whole point of PHazing. Not many "fast" Pokemon learn those attacks, though, but yeah, that's generally what stall tends to do. :)

Okay then...and a question that may be answered once, but I still don't understand the answer.
Can I use revenge killers instantly? (As in, revenge killers are supposed to faint the opponent that brought the revenge killer's teammate down. Terrakion's my revenge killer and a good counter to Blissey/Chansey which threatens Celebi, Rotom-W and Heatran, a part of my team. I'm asking whether I could just send in Terrakion whenever Blissey's around.)

Yes you can use it in general to kill Blissey, revenge killer is basically its second purpose.

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
Alright then...thanks! And...actually, which one's better? Infernape or Heatran and Celebi or Breloom?
And also...would someone having low HP, high Defense and Special Defense be pretty frail? Because Breloom and Rotom-W are like this (low HP, high Defense and Special Defense)...

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Alright then...thanks! And...actually, which one's better? Infernape or Heatran and Celebi or Breloom?

They're different in general so I'm just going to sum up the main points/differences about them to help your choice.

Infernape is speedier than Heatran, has strong fighting STABs, and in a battle would beat Heatran due to its fighting attacks. Heatran however has the great steel typing which makes it resist the dragon typing, something that's common in OU, plus Flash Fire, allowing it to boost its stats if it switches in at the right time. Infernape can do that too, but it can't absorb the fire attacks. It just depends whether you want a fast+strong Pokemon or a slower but more useful one. ;x Both however have access to Stealth Rock though, but other than that and the fire typing, that's the only similarity they share.

For Celebi and Breloom, again it depends if you want special or physical (although Celebi can run physical sets due to how its base stats are worked out). Both have access to an attack that can boost its defensive stat which corresponds with its offensive stat and both have recovery moves in actual attacks (Giga Drain and Drain Punch). Breloom, however, has access to Poison Heal, a useful ability that helps it last longer by restoring its HP and makes it immune to status, while Celebi can remove its status issues purely by switching out. Both can be useful in the current metagame, really.

So yeah, there isn't really a "better" one, they all just have different purposes. :x

Last edited:

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
And also...would someone having low HP, high Defense and Special Defense be pretty frail? Because Breloom and Rotom-W are like this (low HP, high Defense and Special Defense)...

I wouldn't call them "frail", but "bulky". See, pokemon the Rotom can serve as bulky offensive sweepers. They can also sponge a couple of hits from a few pokemon, like in Rotom's case, a Metagross. Breloom can sponge water and electric attacks from say, a jellicent and a jolteon.

Again, bare in mind they're not walls, so they can't take a lot of hits, but only hits in moderation.

Years
I have one spot left on my team, and I'm thinking about getting a steel pokemon. It stands between Ferroseed and Exadrill.

Which pokemon should I choose?

On my team I have Dewott, Leavanny, Darmanitan, Sigilyph and Archen (I'm not sure about Archen though, any better idea?)

Last edited:

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
I have one spot left on my team, and I'm thinking about getting a steel pokemon. It stands between Ferroseed and Exadrill.

Which pokemon should I choose?

On my team I have Dewott, Leavanny, Darmanitan, Sigilyph and Archen (I'm not sure about Archen though, any better idea?)

Excadrill, no questions ask. In-game power and speed are basically the only things you want to focus on. Ferroseed/thorn aren't good at either; well power they are but they are more of a defensive Pokemon. :) Archen/Archeops will save you so many times. Keep it.

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
Hello!
I'd like to ask a question regarding the use of Pain Split.
If Rotom-W has 0 HP IVs and it uses Pain Split, would its use be better of worse than using Pain Split with 31 HP IVs?

Thrasher24

~Legendary Master~
Years
Me and a friend are looking to battle w/ the vba link. Now, we have connected and all, but when we get to the pokecenter battle, it asks me to 'be leader' or to 'join.' Yet for him, it justs saves, than 'awaits for player' Help plz???

Last edited:

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
Hello!
I'd like to ask a question regarding the use of Pain Split.
If Rotom-W has 0 HP IVs and it uses Pain Split, would its use be better of worse than using Pain Split with 31 HP IVs?

It would be worse, Rotom has naturally has low HP anyway so you dont gain much by lowering its IV's you just lose bulk to be honest.

HitmonGengarLee

Trainer in Training
Years
Hey, all.
I'm new on here, so sorry if I'm doing this wrong.
I am making a team, and I wasn't even thinking about tiers.
Feedback & suggestions are welcome!

Gengar w/ Choice scarf
Timid/ Modest nature
-Shadow ball
-Focus Blast
-Thunder/T- bolt
-Explosion/ trick

Arcanine w/ Life Orb
Timid/ Modest nature
-Fire Blast
-Extremespeed
-Morning sun