• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

~The Normal Maniacs: Normal-Type Fan Club~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Who is your favorite Normal-Type Gym Leader?

While I was honestly frustrated at Whitney's irritating personality, I found her to be my favourite out of all the normal-type gym leaders mainly because she was a challenge! I never really struggled with Norman and his Slaking was a piece of cake since it was hindered by its Truant ability. Whitney literally made me curse under my breath, her controversial Miltank isn't being overexaggerated. Its tough. It can easily withstand any of my attacks, heal back, get my Pokemon romantically attracted to a pink cow and then build up damage with Rollout along with flinching. God damn it. Overall its always a battle that I look forward to as I feel that it actually tests your skills as a trainer, rather than spamming that one super effective move.

As for the other gym leaders, I don't watch the anime so I don't know much about Lenora. I've faced her in-game and I love her love for books but overall she was a rather bland gym leader if you know what I mean. I didn't find her Pokemon particularly dangerous until they got a few Work Ups under their belt, but they were so frail and I just found it way too easy to defeat her. No struggle at all. I think she's personally my least favourite. Norman is okay, I found him challenging first time around but if you use the Protect strategy, its a really easy battle. At least in my opinion. If you don't know what the protect strategy is, it's basically trolling Slaking by protecting on its attacking turn and then attacking on its Truant turn. Really fun. :]

I also really want to see a normal-type Elite Four but I think Gamefreak would think of that as too easy, due to the fact that normal-types literally can't harm anything with their STAB moves. Yes they're diverse but I don't think they have the stats of other types needed to make a challenging Elite Four member. However I'd really be interested in seeing that happen soon, it would be pretty cool. :)

BurningLanguages

Student Linguist
Years
One thing that I've noticed about the Normal type however is that most of the Normal-Type pokemon have the highest HP as opposed to other types, with the exception of Wabuffet. The Normal-Type also has quite a few healing moves such as recover, softboiled and most Normal types can learn rest. With this being the case, as we all have noticed throughout the years, is that the Normal type can withstand a good beating. In my opinion, there's nothing more irritating than fighting something with very few weaknesses, has a ton of HP, and heals all of the time.

Wrap all this up and you have the reason why I love the Normal-Type :P

I think that Gamefreak will add a Normal-Type Elite Four member. After all, they did have a Bug-Type Trainer in Diamond and Pearl(Not to say that the bug-type is weak).

Sirfetch’d

One thing that I've noticed about the Normal type however is that most of the Normal-Type pokemon have the highest HP as opposed to other types, with the exception of Wabuffet. The Normal-Type also has quite a few healing moves such as recover, softboiled and most Normal types can learn rest. With this being the case, as we all have noticed throughout the years, is that the Normal type can withstand a good beating. In my opinion, there's nothing more irritating than fighting something with very few weaknesses, has a ton of HP, and heals all of the time.

Wrap all this up and you have the reason why I love the Normal-Type :P

I think that Gamefreak will add a Normal-Type Elite Four member. After all, they did have a Bug-Type Trainer in Diamond and Pearl(Not to say that the bug-type is weak).

Yeah having high HP is certainly something that normal types can take pride in. Most notably the Happiny, Chansey, and Blissey family. They can certainly take many hits and restore HP which ends up in a stall match, usually wearing down the opponent. Unfortunately they can't take physical fighting hits at all which is one of the most common attacking types in battling.

BurningLanguages

Student Linguist
Years
Yeah having high HP is certainly something that normal types can take pride in. Most notably the Happiny, Chansey, and Blissey family. They can certainly take many hits and restore HP which ends up in a stall match, usually wearing down the opponent. Unfortunately they can't take physical fighting hits at all which is one of the most common attacking types in battling.

Haha I remember using a very strong physical attack on a blissey and it took FOREVER for it's HP bar to go all the way down to 0. It was going at the rate of 1 PPH(Pixels per hour) :P

Sirfetch’d

Haha I remember using a very strong physical attack on a blissey and it took FOREVER for it's HP bar to go all the way down to 0. It was going at the rate of 1 PPH(Pixels per hour) :P

Even with Blissey's terrible defense, it can still take a few good physical attacks with that sky-high HP as long as they aren't fighting typed :p

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023

Oh dear god Blisseys are a nightmare. I've tried everything on it, blasting it away with fighting moves, trying to poison it, it has such a whopping HP that it seems impossible to take down. While it doesn't have fantastic attack (actually come to think of it, its attack stat is virtually non-existent), Blissey is so painful to take down. The only reason I ever really manage to take them down is by setting up with stat-raising moves and then whittling it down, pixel by pixel. Eventually it just uses Softboiled and makes fun of my anger. Jesus that thing is a nightmare. Has anyone tried training one though out of curiosity? It seems almost impossible. :I

Sirfetch’d

Oh dear god Blisseys are a nightmare. I've tried everything on it, blasting it away with fighting moves, trying to poison it, it has such a whopping HP that it seems impossible to take down. While it doesn't have fantastic attack (actually come to think of it, its attack stat is virtually non-existent), Blissey is so painful to take down. The only reason I ever really manage to take them down is by setting up with stat-raising moves and then whittling it down, pixel by pixel. Eventually it just uses Softboiled and makes fun of my anger. Jesus that thing is a nightmare. Has anyone tried training one though out of curiosity? It seems almost impossible. :I

I would never even attempt to train one! You would have to basically use an ex.share the entire time because stalling out opponents to raise it to level 100 would take FOREVER. That is just not something that I would be willing to do. I guess you could say it takes a very special trainer to have the time to train a Blissey. However I guess it pays off in the end, but still is not something that I would be really interested in doing XD

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I would never even attempt to train one! You would have to basically use an ex.share the entire time because stalling out opponents to raise it to level 100 would take FOREVER. That is just not something that I would be willing to do. I guess you could say it takes a very special trainer to have the time to train a Blissey. However I guess it pays off in the end, but still is not something that I would be really interested in doing XD

I'm not even sure if its worth it to be honest. Yes Blissey is a highly regarded Pokemon in terms of competitive but is it really worth it? Even with an EXP. Share equipped, Blissey takes a huge time to gain just one level. If you think about it- there's more EXP required to get to the next level over the previous one. It'd just be so horrible and grueling to endure that I think only the die-hard Pokemon fans would attempt this. Stalling a Level 2 Bidoof with a Level 100 Blissey would just be saddening. Like, really saddening. I personally don't think its worth it, no matter how great of a wall it is. To be honest in-game wise Blissey is rubbish. Its just there to annoy the heck out of people. But its design is still cute I have to say.

While we're on the subject of bulky normal-types, how about the Porygon family? Would they be worth training and the trading that they require?

Sirfetch’d

I'm not even sure if its worth it to be honest. Yes Blissey is a highly regarded Pokemon in terms of competitive but is it really worth it? Even with an EXP. Share equipped, Blissey takes a huge time to gain just one level. If you think about it- there's more EXP required to get to the next level over the previous one. It'd just be so horrible and grueling to endure that I think only the die-hard Pokemon fans would attempt this. Stalling a Level 2 Bidoof with a Level 100 Blissey would just be saddening. Like, really saddening. I personally don't think its worth it, no matter how great of a wall it is. To be honest in-game wise Blissey is rubbish. Its just there to annoy the heck out of people. But its design is still cute I have to say.

While we're on the subject of bulky normal-types, how about the Porygon family? Would they be worth training and the trading that they require?

I think so. Even with the annoying processes of trading them, both evolutions are very good at what they do. Looking at Porygon2 first, it is a really good defensive tank that can take many hits over and over due to great stats and access to eviolite. Also with recover in its arsenal, PG2 can quickly become an annoyance that will not die. It also has a strong enough Sp.Attack to fire back and do damage as well.

Now looking at Porygon-z. This is a very strong Pokemon when you look at it. It's special attack is nearly unmatched and it also gets access to a great boosting move in Nasty Plot. Even after one boost it can destroy anything that doesn't resist it with it's STAB Tri-attack.

So in conclusion I would definitely say that the Porygon line is worth the annoying process of trading and training.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I can definitely see where you're coming from Jelli! I've always personally enjoyed using them but the finding all of those items you need them to equip to evolve and then the trading process is just tedious. Still I've always found Porygon tough to train, I don't have much patience with grinding to be honest but I've tried using one in D/P/Pt and I was kinda disappointed. Competitive-wise however Porygon2 and PorygonZ are absolute beasts. While I think they could of been more creative with the evolution names the reference to its shape-like appearance is rather smart.

I'm kinda interested on how they made Porygon2 bulkier. Maybe its because its equipped with an Eviolite (since I haven't checked the base stats), but it seems Porygon2 can take attacks way better than its evolution. And then you've got PorygonZ who's mainly focused on special-attack with Nasty Plot and all the other moves that make it a dangerous threat. Its a pretty big jump from being a rather defensive Pokemon to all out attacker though, PorygonZ just appears to be so frail. Does anyone have an idea of why they did this? If I'm wrong on any of these facts then feel free to correct me. :p

Sirfetch’d

I can definitely see where you're coming from Jelli! I've always personally enjoyed using them but the finding all of those items you need them to equip to evolve and then the trading process is just tedious. Still I've always found Porygon tough to train, I don't have much patience with grinding to be honest but I've tried using one in D/P/Pt and I was kinda disappointed. Competitive-wise however Porygon2 and PorygonZ are absolute beasts. While I think they could of been more creative with the evolution names the reference to its shape-like appearance is rather smart.

I'm kinda interested on how they made Porygon2 bulkier. Maybe its because its equipped with an Eviolite (since I haven't checked the base stats), but it seems Porygon2 can take attacks way better than its evolution. And then you've got PorygonZ who's mainly focused on special-attack with Nasty Plot and all the other moves that make it a dangerous threat. Its a pretty big jump from being a rather defensive Pokemon to all out attacker though, PorygonZ just appears to be so frail. Does anyone have an idea of why they did this? If I'm wrong on any of these facts then feel free to correct me. :p

Yeah I kinda agree with you Sophie! I was looking more at the competitive aspect I guess and when you think about it..looking for those items to use in-game would not be fun to do.

As for the second part, I don't really know why they decided to make one defensive and then one offensive. I guess just to make the family kinda diverse?

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Yeah I kinda agree with you Sophie! I was looking more at the competitive aspect I guess and when you think about it..looking for those items to use in-game would not be fun to do.

As for the second part, I don't really know why they decided to make one defensive and then one offensive. I guess just to make the family kinda diverse?

Yeah some Pokemon are better competitively wise than in-game! Also the sport of item-hunting isn't particularly fun, I had to search high and low for a Reaper Cloth once. Then I realised it was right where I started. On a cliff in Snowpoint City. Shoulda know that if there's a cliff right in front of you that you can climb, some sort of goody has to be up there. And on a side note, personally I didn't think Dusknoir was worth it in the end despite its great reputation in competitive battling as a tank.

Diversity is great so I can see that as a valid reason. Although I've just thought of a concept explaining it. Porygon is stated to be based off computer programming right? Or at least it was genetically made using computers. Well PorygonZ sort of looks like it has been attacked by some sort of malware. Viruses or malware in general can slowly erase and damage your computer, making it significantly weaker once its gotten past your Firewall or virus-protection program. That could explain PorygonZ's significantly weaker defenses but I'm not sure. Its just a thought so if anyone has an opinion on what I just thought, feel free to share. :]

Sirfetch’d

Yeah some Pokemon are better competitively wise than in-game! Also the sport of item-hunting isn't particularly fun, I had to search high and low for a Reaper Cloth once. Then I realised it was right where I started. On a cliff in Snowpoint City. Shoulda know that if there's a cliff right in front of you that you can climb, some sort of goody has to be up there. And on a side note, personally I didn't think Dusknoir was worth it in the end despite its great reputation in competitive battling as a tank.

Diversity is great so I can see that as a valid reason. Although I've just thought of a concept explaining it. Porygon is stated to be based off computer programming right? Or at least it was genetically made using computers. Well PorygonZ sort of looks like it has been attacked by some sort of malware. Viruses or malware in general can slowly erase and damage your computer, making it significantly weaker once its gotten past your Firewall or virus-protection program. That could explain PorygonZ's significantly weaker defenses but I'm not sure. Its just a thought so if anyone has an opinion on what I just thought, feel free to share. :]

Never thought about it like that, but your theory does make really good sense Sophie! That would explain why PGZ is a bit more frail I guess.

BurningLanguages

Student Linguist
Years
I just evolved my Porygon to Porygon-Z today actually haha. It's still level 1 XD I find that funny. But Porygon-Z will prove to be very useful because it can do so much which is why I like it. The move recover is also among my favorites and that helps a lot. I definitely consider the Porygon family a beast of a family just like the Chansey family haha.

We also have our brand new Normal-Type club Userbars!
NormalMemberUserbar_zps37deb52f.png

Please attach one to your signature if you like :). Big thanks to joeyhugg in the Art & Design Forum!

There's also a new topic up you guys, I'm curious to hear what you guys think :P.

Last edited:

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
Years
I adore normal-types!

Username: Mokoko

Your Pokemon Team:

162.png

Furret @ Metronome
-Super Fang
-Hyper Voice
-Slash
-Slam

133.png

Eevee @ Leftovers
-Take Down
-Retaliate
-Wish
-Charm

573.png

Cinccino @ Lucky Egg
-Hyper Voice
-Hyper Beam
-Swift
-Focus Blast

468.png

Togekiss @ Lucky Egg
-Air Slash
-Sweet Kiss
-ExtremeSpeed
-Sky Attack

300.png

Skitty @ Eviolite
-Double-Edge
-Copycat
-Charm
-Attract

351.png

Castform @ Icy Rock
-Hail
-Blizzard
-Ice Beam
-Weather Ball

Your Partner Pokemon: Furret

Furret it my favourite Pokemon for obvious reasons! It's slim, nimble, is a normal-type, has a great design and is just simply adorable! I have never battled with one but plan to as soon I am able to play HG. It will be my first time hunting for a shiny!

The only normal-type gym leaders I have ever beaten were Lenora and Cheren. Out of those two, I'd probably have to go with Lenora for she was more of a challenge than Cheren, especially with that Watchog! His Retaliate can be a pain.

BurningLanguages

Student Linguist
Years
I adore normal-types!

Username: Mokoko

Your Pokemon Team:

162.png

Furret @ Metronome
-Super Fang
-Hyper Voice
-Slash
-Slam

133.png

Eevee @ Leftovers
-Take Down
-Retaliate
-Wish
-Charm

573.png

Cinccino @ Lucky Egg
-Hyper Voice
-Hyper Beam
-Swift
-Focus Blast

468.png

Togekiss @ Lucky Egg
-Air Slash
-Sweet Kiss
-ExtremeSpeed
-Sky Attack

300.png

Skitty @ Eviolite
-Double-Edge
-Copycat
-Charm
-Attract

351.png

Castform @ Icy Rock
-Hail
-Blizzard
-Ice Beam
-Weather Ball

Your Partner Pokemon: Furret

Furret it my favourite Pokemon for obvious reasons! It's slim, nimble, is a normal-type, has a great design and is just simply adorable! I have never battled with one but plan to as soon I am able to play HG. It will be my first time hunting for a shiny!

The only normal-type gym leaders I have ever beaten were Lenora and Cheren. Out of those two, I'd probably have to go with Lenora for she was more of a challenge than Cheren, especially with that Watchog! His Retaliate can be a pain.

Welcome to the Club Mokoko! I like Furret too, it's really cute :3. As far as cuteness goes I think Persian and Dunsparce take the cake in my opinion :P. I have never battled the two gym leaders you mentioned but maybe I will be able to in the future. What got you into the Normal-Type out of curiosity?

We have tournaments in this club once we get enough members, it will be really fun I think! I'm also trying to think of new ways to get everyone involved in the club so any ideas are most welcome :). I hope you can consider this club somewhat of a home for your love of the Normal-Type. Again, welcome!

Sirfetch’d

I see that you used a Castform on your team which certainly makes me happy. He really is an underrated Pokemon isn't he? Furret is a Pokemon that I have always adored as well. He is a really cute Pokemon that is really fun to have on your team :D

BurningLanguages

Student Linguist
Years
Hi Mokoko! Welcome :D

I see that you used a Castform on your team which certainly makes me happy. He really is an underrated Pokemon isn't he? Furret is a Pokemon that I have always adored as well. He is a really cute Pokemon that is really fun to have on your team :D

Have you used Furret competively before jellicentfan1? I have always been curious as to how people use this Pokemon and if they have any success stories? All I've seen of Furret is computers on Pokemon Staidum 2 make it look bad :(.

Sirfetch’d

Have you used Furret competively before jellicentfan1? I have always been curious as to how people use this Pokemon and if they have any success stories? All I've seen of Furret is computers on Pokemon Staidum 2 make it look bad :(.

I haven't competitively other than in randbats because it is simply too frail, but I use him on my in-game teams occasionally and he is quite a fun little guy to have!

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
Years
Welcome to the Club Mokoko! I like Furret too, it's really cute :3. As far as cuteness goes I think Persian and Dunsparce take the cake in my opinion :P. I have never battled the two gym leaders you mentioned but maybe I will be able to in the future. What got you into the Normal-Type out of curiosity?

We have tournaments in this club once we get enough members, it will be really fun I think! I'm also trying to think of new ways to get everyone involved in the club so any ideas are most welcome :). I hope you can consider this club somewhat of a home for your love of the Normal-Type. Again, welcome!

Thank you! c: Yes, it is cute. ^-^ Persian was actually my favorite Pokemon when I was little. Now it's Furret, with Eevee coming second.

What really made love normal-type Pokemon is their design. I just love their simplicity! There are all different shapes and sizes and yet each one can manage to look amazing. I really can't name a single normal-type Pokemon that I dislike!

Hi Mokoko! Welcome :D

Thanks, Jelli! Yeah, Castform kind of is one of those Pokemon many people forget about. He can be quite useful in battle, though. I used him once when I was playing Pokemon Pearl, and another time in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team.

I know! <3 Is it any good to use competitively?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back