• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen What part annoyed you the most in R/B/Y?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Sep 24, 2013
Your bag would get too full way too fast. And the stupid useless TM's were always the ones that took up all the space. Sigh... Best improvement they ever made in a subsequent generation was to add pockets to the bag. :P

Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
These games are basically unplayable for me in this day and age.

Too many faults, but it's first Gen so it gets a pass. The whole inbalance of typing is just, well silly. The Ghastly line, oh what could have been...

Mr. Magius

  
Years
Yeah, I hated Lavender Town because of its music. Music has always affected my mood in video games more than most people, and Lavender Town's extremely haunting tune and purple backdrop just scared the hell out of me going there. The music isn't bad now, but back then I just couldn't..

And apart from everyone else, I hated the Seafoam Islands. I was never good at solving puzzles as a child, so moving boulders into holes using Strength was a struggle for me. As far as I remember.

AnjinMiura_PL

Challenger Extraordinaire (?)
Years
Well, as of Lavender...music back there was really creepy, although I kinda got used to it and never really been scared of it. However, and here is a lollish story, once (guess I've been 11 or 12) I played Pokemon Red with Polish translation, so I could understand stuff. And then, once I've beaten Marowak-ghost in Lavender, that message popped up, about Marowak departing to afterlife, in Polish, so I could understand it at once...

And I've been like...damn, I almost crapped my pants and started crying. Honestly. Dunno why, it was altogether one of most scary thing I've ever heard at the time. Pokemons, afterlife...I'm leaving! I just saved the game, turned it off and played it again like a week or two later.

Yeah, now that I can into Englishness everytime I see dat line about Marowak's departing to afterlife I'm like "Hey, it's creepy. A bit.". And then I again imagine me like seven or eight years ago, being scared to death and burst into crazy laugh, sheding a single tear of reminiscence. It were fun times indeed! Ghahah!

But I've really been horrified back then. Absolutely astonished and shocked to ultimate death because of scary things. Just thought I'd share dat little story with ya folks.

And except of that bag getting insta-full.

Years
  • NY
  • Seen Aug 14, 2015
Definitely Rock Tunnel. By far the most annoying town transition ever. If I didn't bring repels or train too much, I would always exhaust resources and most likely faint. It was annoyingly tedious to go back after fainting, and honestly... I got lost in that cave a few times...

Years
For me it would have to be either the Rock Tunnel or Victory Road. Although I think any pokemon with the move wrap was also very annoying (If memory serves me right I think one of the Elite 4 had an Arbok or something similar that would kill any of my slow guys by spam wrapping...erk)

Years
  • Seen May 22, 2013
Back when I first played the game when I was younger, Misty was a true pain. I could never seem to get past her Starmie, which had a 6-7 level advantage over all the rest of my Pokemon. This was back before I had a sense to grind, of course.

Me: "Yay...it's almost dead....it's almost dead"
Misty used SUPER POTION
Me: ARGGGGGGHHHHH!

PichuRules4ever

The TF2 Pyro
Years
Brock in Yellow. Pikachu was practically useless and I was too lazy to catch a pidgey I didn't feel like wasting Pokeballs on Nidorans and Pidgeys. It took me a week to grind it enough to beat Brock with about 50 Quick Attacks. While still very difficult,it was SOOOO much easier in blue using Charmander.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 28, 2013
Two things over-annoyed me in R/B/Y.

First is Lt. Surge's gym. That puzzle is a pain to solve and GF didn't even change it in FR/LG.

Second are all the moves that trap or asleep foe. GF fixed them in the nex Generation.

Last edited:

tnfsf11

As I walk in the route just before Mt. Moon and suddenly a girl looks at me and approaches several steps...
"Eek! Did you just touch me?" B**** WTF???

Also:
-Zubats/Ratattas/Tentacools every 2 steps with no escape feature
-Having to battle five human beings in the Elite FOUR
-Douchebag Gary Oak
-Snorlax

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
For me that would be the Silph Building. Being a 9-year-old kid, those warp fields made me go crazy and i really had no sense of orientation. Tbh i still pretty much hate that part of the game

Clacla

karp karp karp
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Mar 15, 2017
The only thing that annoyed me in this generation was replaying the games recently and not having Running Shoes. You travel at a snail pace until you get the bike.

Years
Most of my gripes with the first generation are in comparison to later generations, features that were missing, and so on.
Primarily, it's the lack of an EXP bar, and a Pokéball appearing beside the name of a wild Pokémon that you'd already caught. Largely inconvenient.
Along with that, there's the very primitive PC Box system, and the fact that TMs don't have their names, just their numbers. All of these things were fixed in later games and it's not fair to consider them 'flaws' since they were present in the first release, but they were still very annoying.

Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2014
The introduction. When the game starts and Oak lectures you about Pokemon, I close my eyes and speed press the A Button and the intro still passes by slowly. Meh. Maybe I'm just the impatient type.

Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2013
Probably the fact that Gary always picked your Pokemon selections weakness. Like cmon man... how about I pick Charmander and you pick Bulbasaur for once! Switch it up lol except for yellow of course when you're stuck with Pikachu... which has to be the best game because you can actually get the other 3 starters through out the game!

JawDane

Here for the Nostalgia
Years
  • Seen Jul 3, 2013
Pokemon Mansion without a walkthrough is hell. Especially when you have a noticeably weak team for that area and all you come across is Raticates that use Hyper Fang

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back