• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ones That Got Away Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
To the Pokemon League
-Went and got Tyrougue. Named him Spinner.
-Cleared out Mt Mortar.
-Flew to Mr Pokemon, gave him the Red Scale.
-Got the Master Ball from Prof Elm.
-Surfed into Kanto.
-Whilst advancing Spinner evolved into Hitmontop.
-Went through Victory Road.
-Defeated Silver using Avatar's Fire Punch on Sneasal, Avatar's Shadow Ball on Kadabra, LadyPawnch's ThunderPunch on Feraligatr, Valance's Ice Punch on Golbat and King Ted's Mud Slap on Magneton and Haunter.
-Arrived at the Pokemon League for the Final Gauntlet !!!!
TEAM REPORT
Spoiler:

The Gauntlet.
WILL
-Xatu VS LadyPawnch-LadyPawnch Win via ThunderPunch
-Jynx VS KingTed-King Ted win via Earthquake
-Exeggutor VS Valance-Valance win via Ice Punch
-Slowbro VS LadyPawnch-LadyPawnch Win via ThunderPunch
-Xatu VS LadyPawnch-LadyPawnch win via ThunderPunch

KOGA
-Ariados VS Avatar-Avatar win via Fire Punch
-Venomoth VS Avatar-Venomoth win via Psychic
-Venomoth VS Valance-Valance win via Icy Wind
-Forretress VS King Ted-King Ted win via Earthquake
-Muk VS King Ted-King Ted win via Earthquake
-Crobat VS Valance-Crobat win via Toxic
-Crobat VS LadyPawnch-Crobat win via Wing Attack
-Crobat VS King Ted-King Ted win via Strength

BRUNO
-Hitmontop VS LadyPawnch-LadyPawnch win via ThunderPunch
-Onix VS Avatar-Avatar win via Surf
-Hitmonchan VS LadyPawnch-Hitmonchan win via Fire Punch
-Hitmonchan VS Avatar-Avatar win via Surf
-Hitmonlee VS Avatar-Hitmonlee win via ??? (Missed the attack)
-Hitmonlee VS Valance-Valance win via Ice Punch
-Machamp VS Valance-Machamp win via Rock Slide
-Machamp VS King Ted-King Ted win via Strength

KAREN
-Umbreon VS King Ted-King Ted win via Strength
-Vileplume VS Avatar-Avatar win via Fire Punch
-Murkrow VS Valance-Valance win via Ice Punch
-Houndoom VS Avatar-Houndoom win via Flamethrower
-Houndoom VS King Ted-King Ted win via Earthquake
-Gengar VS Valance-Valance win via Lick

LANCE
-Gyarados VS King Ted-King Ted win via Strength
-Dragonite VS Valance-Valance win via Ice Punch
-Charizard VS Avatar-Avatar win via Surf
-Aerodactyl VS Avatar-Aerodactyl win via Hyper Beam
-Aerodactyl VS King Ted-King Ted win via Strength

I WINNNNN !!!!!!!
*Note* I am not counting Hitmontop as used, cause its level is so low and it wasn't used

Final Report
Spoiler:

AWARDS
Spoiler:

Hoenn Sign up
Name:Kimbo
Game: Emerald
Team Members:4 + Hitmontop and Octillery, feel like Gold robbed me the oppertunity of using them.
Additional Rules: Can I have a flier, 2 Hoenn pokemon and 2 Kanto Pokemon.
The One's That Got Away:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
Hello I am new here and would like to try this!

Name: DaBomb
Game: Sapphire
List of Pokemon that got away: Mightyena Swellow Masquerain Breloom Ninjask Shedinja Exploud Hariyama Delcatty Manetric Minun Volbeat Swalot Sharpedo Wailord Torkoal Weezing Muk Grumpig Skarmory Seviper Lunatone Crawdaunt Cradily Claydol Banette Duslcops Chimecho Absol Relicanth (sorry it's a lot :D)
Number required: 6
Any specific requirements: Please make it a challenge :). Oh and something that can surf since half of hoenn is water...
Can't wait!

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2016
Hoenn Sign up
Name:Kimbo
Game: Emerald
Team Members:4 + Hitmontop and Octillery, feel like Gold robbed me the oppertunity of using them.
Additional Rules: Can I have a flier, 2 Hoenn pokemon and 2 Kanto Pokemon.

Very well done Kimbo, 2 down, 3 to go. Your Johto team has been added to the Champions list.

For your Hoenn leg, take... Hitmontop, Octillery, Rhydon, Flareon, Altaria and Chimecho.

Hello I am new here and would like to try this!

Name: DaBomb
Game: Sapphire
List of Pokemon that got away: Mightyena Swellow Masquerain Breloom Ninjask Shedinja Exploud Hariyama Delcatty Manetric Minun Volbeat Swalot Sharpedo Wailord Torkoal Weezing Muk Grumpig Skarmory Seviper Lunatone Crawdaunt Cradily Claydol Banette Duslcops Chimecho Absol Relicanth (sorry it's a lot :D)
Any specific requirements: Please make it a challenge :). Oh and something that can surf since half of hoenn is water...
Can't wait!

Welcome GolurkIsDaBomb! Try it with Wailord, Mightyena, Volbeat, Claydol, Skarmory and Torkoal. Hope you enjoy it! I've added you to the Challengers list. Looking forward to reading your updates.

Last edited:
Years
Very well done Kimbo, 2 down, 3 to go. Your Johto team has been added to the Champions list.

For your Hoenn leg, take... Hitmontop, Octillery, Rhydon, Flareon, Altaria and Chimecho.

I accept, thanks Sammu,lets hope Flareon can do something as I quite like that team otherwise, I'll hack all in before Roxanne.

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2016
I accept, thanks Sammu,lets hope Flareon can do something as I quite like that team otherwise, I'll hack all in before Roxanne.

Just wait till you get TM30 and TM27... Flareon rock. Also if you can get a Mild-natured one, Flamethrower is epic too.

To be honest you don't even need a +Sp.Atk nature on Flareon for it to be a good Pokemon. His base Sp.Atk stat is 95, which is the same as Walrein, Chimecho, Lunatone, Kingdra, Golduck, Articuno, Xatu and Cofagrigus, all of which are potent Special Attackers. Flareon gets a lot of stick basically because it hasn't got Flare Blitz, but its Attack is so good that it can use a lot of Physical coverage moves very effectively, and can rely on STAB to make its Special moves hit like a truck too. Its Speed is really its only bad point.

Obviously I say all this as a confirmed Flareon-adorer though. He's always been my favourite Eeveelution (tied with Espeon).

Also bear in mind, Flareon's base Attack is only 4 less than Tyranitar's, and is better than such Attack luminaries as Gyarados, Terrakion, Electivire, Emboar, Blaziken, Krookodile... you get my point. He may not have the Physical STAB move to back up his stats, but he can be extremely effective!

Good luck on your Hoenn run :) (and use that Flareon!)

Years
Just wait till you get TM30 and TM27... Flareon rock. Also if you can get a Mild-natured one, Flamethrower is epic too.

To be honest you don't even need a +Sp.Atk nature on Flareon for it to be a good Pokemon. His base Sp.Atk stat is 95, which is the same as Walrein, Chimecho, Lunatone, Kingdra, Golduck, Articuno, Xatu and Cofagrigus, all of which are potent Special Attackers. Flareon gets a lot of stick basically because it hasn't got Flare Blitz, but its Attack is so good that it can use a lot of Physical coverage moves very effectively, and can rely on STAB to make its Special moves hit like a truck too. Its Speed is really its only bad point.

Obviously I say all this as a confirmed Flareon-adorer though. He's always been my favourite Eeveelution (tied with Espeon).

Also bear in mind, Flareon's base Attack is only 4 less than Tyranitar's, and is better than such Attack luminaries as Gyarados, Terrakion, Electivire, Emboar, Blaziken, Krookodile... you get my point. He may not have the Physical STAB move to back up his stats, but he can be extremely effective!

Good luck on your Hoenn run :) (and use that Flareon!)

Nice Flareon Facts, thats really encouraging !!
The only reason he gets on the list for TOGWA is because a) I'm a major Vaporeon fan Boy and b) in every game Eevee is obtainable there is always 2 Fire types I Prefer (Kanto-Charizard & Arcanine,Johto-Typhlosion and Magmar,Platinum-Houndoom and Magmortar). If Eevee was in Hoenn I proberley would of used Flareon already due to lack of Fire Types (Camerupt,Blaziken and Marcargo are my 3 least favorite fire types.)

Years
Try it with Wailord, Mightyena, Volbeat, Claydol, Skarmory and Torkoal.

Thank you for the awesome team! I can't wait to start, in fact, I will start right now. (Yesterday I was horribly sick, so today I am staying home to recover. I feel much better though :)) This should be a fun run, and its nice that I can get most of my team before the 4th badge. (with the exception of wailmer) I shall update soon!

Skitty1

Highlight my signature :)
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2012
I am confused can someone help me out... what is the goal here...

Years
I am confused can someone help me out... what is the goal here...

To start a team with 6 pokemon from a list of Pokemon you've never used , assigned by a fellow poster from the list of pokemon you submit. You then go throughout the game to defeat the Pokemon League of that select game at there highest level, meaning rematches in FR/LG,HG/SS,D/P/PT and B/W, using those 6 pokemon.

Hope this helps, sorry if this question was for Sammu who created this challenge.

Skitty1

Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2012
^Oh its ok I was confused at first - I might take the challenge in Platinum :D.

Years
Update #1
Named self DaBomb (which every time I look at it, it either looks like Dumb Bob or Dumbo lol)
Picked treecko (named him forest). Did pregame stuffs. Caught a poochyena, named it fluffy. Helped wally catch a poke yadah yadah, helped Devon corp guy. Got to roxanne. Boy she was an interesting challenge, it was a battle of fluffy's howls/sand attacks and then bites. Which was silly since dark was special then, so bite didn't get stronger....anywho! beat roxanne, and helped the devon guy again. What's this? he wants me to do MORE favors for him? what a lovely surprise lol. Sailed along the sea to dewford did the granite cave and challenged brawly which...failed. So I sailed on to slateport and fought some more trainers... WHAT? FLUFFY IS EVOLVING! (dundundundun...). WHAT? FOREST IS EVOLVING! (dundun...) Unfortunately I figured I was going to need my treecko, but strangely I didn't need him. And if I thought roxanne was difficult with a poochyena, brawly was 10x harder even with mightyena. It was a battle of sand attacks/tackles/howls...but I won! Next to slateport, beat team aqua, and then continuing on to battle may...who was a joke. I basically set up howl after howl on her splashing wailmer, and then tackled my way to victory. I then reached mauville, went to the right and.... caught myself a volbeat! I named him Meriwether (nice and formal, cuz volbeats are formal right?)I beat wally, beat the trainers near verdanturf, and then onto the gym...which was hellish. It was a nightmare of confuserays/doubleteams/quickattacks on steel types. It took like at least a half hour, but Fluffys bite ended it in victory. Next I went up, fought the winstrates, then some trainer and caught myself Athena the torkoal. If ONLY I had had her last gym... anyways, i continued and caught myself Effie the skarmory, used her to take down the trainers around fallarbor. I then stopped crime in the cave, headed to the top of a volcano, and destroyed archie with Meriwether's signal beam. I then went to flannery's gym...and obliterated her. I set up curse after curse with Athena off her slugma, and then took her torkoal (2 levels higher I might add) with 2 body slams. Oh yeah, I also collected the wynaut egg, and when it hatched I named it CuzIsaidSo. After destroying flannery, I was given the go-go goggles by may (who thinks I need to train up) and headed into the sandstorm. About 50 cacnea's/sandshrews/trapinches later, I caught myself a baltoy named Bumi. And then I saved :)

I am going to try and do a spoiler for my Impressions of my team so far/their movesets and levels etc, but it might not work since I dont really know how to do one. Hear's hoping!

Spoiler:

Skitty1

Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2012
Alright... here is where I am confused which challenge do i choose and what Pokemon should I get? like should I be using Pokemon I would not normally use (and are my allowed to hack them in)?! please help - thx in advance.

Name: Skitty
Game: Platinum
List of Pokemon that got away:
Number required:
Any specific requirements:
My personal goal is to beat the elite four and complete the main game :D.

Last edited:
Years
Alright... here is where I am confused which challenge do i choose and what Pokemon should I get? like should I be using Pokemon I would not normally use (and are my allowed to hack them in)?! please help - thx in advance.

Number required:

You need a list of pokemon you've never used, write that list and how many pokemon you want to use. Someone will assign you a team of the number of pokemon you've said from your list. Hope this helps :)

A Bright Green World
-Started a new game with Torchic.
-Hacked in 6 Masters Ball's and got the Codes for the Base Form's(Remoraid-Cannon,Rhyhorn-Horny,Swablu-Cloud 9,Chimecho-Dong),Hitmontop-Spinner and Flareon-Blitz'd.
-Depoisited Torchic, had my full team.
-Grinded all to Level 7.
-Defeated May using Spinner's Rolling Kick on Mudkip.
-Did Story stuff untill I got to Rustboro.
-Leveled the team to Level 10.
-Took on Rustboro Gym.
-Defeated Roxanne using Spinner's Rolling Kick on Geodude 1 and 2, and Spinner's Revenge on Nosepass. Got the Rock Tomb TM and the Stone Badge.
2 GYM UPDATE AS I DIDN'T UPDATE YESTERDAY
-Went and defeated that team Aqua member.
-Defeated May using Cannon's Water Gun on Torkoal, and Dong's Astonish on Mudkip.
-Went ON A BOAT to Dewford.
-Did the cave, for level purposes.
-Grinded to Level 13
-Took on Dewford Gym.
-Defeated Brawly using Spinner's Rolling Kick on Machop, Cannon's Water Gun on Meditite and Dong's Confusion on Makuhita. Got the Knuckle Badge and the Bulk Up TM.

TEAM REPORT
Spoiler:

Skitty1

Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2012
^ok thanks :D

___
Any thing except for... Skitty - I have never played Platinum so...
Number required:

Years
^ok thanks :D

___
Number required:

Okay Skitty your 10 pokemon are
Houndoom
Leafeon
Gyarados
Luxray
Lopunny
Togekiss
Gallade
Lucario
Rampardos
Drapion

Shocker in Slateport
-Took THE BOAT to Slateport.
-Went to Slateport, did story stuff, defeated Team Aqua.
-Also did the battle tent, as this is the one game I am a sucker for the mini game.
-Went north to Mauville.
-Defeated May using Cloud 9's Peck on Lombre, Cannon's Water Gun on Slugma and Dong's Confusion on Marshtomp.
-Arrived in Mauville
-Defeated Wally using Cannon's Thief on Ralts.
-Got the Mach Bike.
- Did some more training.
-Took on the Winstrate's.
-Took on Mauville gym.
-Defeated Watson using Spinner's Revenge on Voltorb and Electrike and Horny's Stomp on both Magneton and Manectric. Got the Shock Wave TM and the Dynamo Badge.

TEAM REPORT
Spoiler:

Skitty1

Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2012
^Actually let me revise my request...

Game: Leaf Green
Number required:
Complete the main game :D.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 25, 2012
I'd like to give this a try, please!

Name:
Emily
Game: Soul Silver
List of Pokemon that got away: Donphan, Starmie, Skarmory, Honchcrow, Clefable, Sunflora, Mamoswine, Quilfish, Mismagius, Walrein, Snorlax, Dugtrio, Kingdra, Magcargo, Flareon, Ursaring, Xatu, Smeargle, Altaria, Driftblim
Any specific requirements: At least one Pokemon that can learn surf, and one that can learn fly.

Years
I'd like to give this a try, please!

Name:
Emily
Game: Soul Silver
List of Pokemon that got away: Donphan, Starmie, Skarmory, Honchcrow, Clefable, Sunflora, Mamoswine, Quilfish, Mismagius, Walrein, Snorlax, Dugtrio, Kingdra, Magcargo, Flareon, Ursaring, Xatu, Smeargle, Altaria, Driftblim
Any specific requirements: At least one Pokemon that can learn surf, and one that can learn fly.

Hey there,
take Skarmory
Mamoswine
Starmie
Donphan
Xatu
Smeargle

WE BE BURNING!!
-Got Strength HM by doing that Rock Smash thing in that tunnel.
-Made my way forward.
-Arrived in Fallarbor Town.
-Arrived in Meteor Falls.
-Took on Team Magma on top of Mt Chimney.
-On my way down Mt Chimney Cannon evolved into Octillery.
-Arrived in Laveridge Town
-Delivered the Meteorite to Prof Cosmo.
-Took on Lavaridge Town Gym.
-Defeated Flannery using Horny's Strength on Numel, Horny's Rock Tomb on Slugma, Blitz'ds Return on Camerupt and Cannon's Octazooka on Torkoal. Got the Overheat TM and Heat Badge.

TEAM REPORT
All Opinions will be left till end game
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 25, 2012
Progress:
Well, I just went ahead and got my pokemon as early as I could, all around level 2-3. I would say the most interesting Pokemon is going to be Smeargle, as I'm not sure what moves I want to put in his slots yet. So thank you for picking that one for me, haha! I have some ideas, but I don't know where to find Pokemon with those moves, especially right now.

I'm grinding away at the moment. I'll update later on.
Team:
Chef the Smeargle
Gelato the Swinub
Gazpacho the Phanpy
Wasabi the Skarmory
Avacado the Staryu
Umami the Natu

EDIT:
So I just beat Whitney... I'd say she's the biggest pain in the butt out of all the Gym leaders. For some reason I've always had a problem with her, and she's so whiny! Anyway... I have 3 badges, and all of my Pokemon are still at their first evolution stages currently. I traded over a Pokemon to help my Smeargle learn spore, and I also taught him transform, so I will have a little bit of fun with that! We'll see what else I decide to teach him later on. I'm thinking maybe U-turn for easy switching? And maybe endeavor just to round things off. I know Smeargle has horrible stats so it would be useless to teach him attack moves.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back