• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jul 23, 2016
MY REVIEW:
Spoiler:

Test map or not it's really good. Assuming the player's house is intended to be the bottom-left one, it gives the player an interesting path, they get to see the lab and the mart before leaving, and the surroundings are pretty interesting to look at. Also, I love love LOVE those tiles. I wish I had that kind of pixel talent.

MY MAP... but first, context:
Spoiler:

DAMN, THAT HURT! THANK YOU!

I really took that criticism to heart for this next one. After reading that, I got to thinking: "why was my forest good but not the city?"

The answer was the approach I took to designing it. For the forest, everything was designed around the path the player would take to get out, and being able to show things to the player they would be able to get. In a city, you don't have a clear goal, it's more of a checkpoint for the next route/dungeon.

Then I got to thinking: "what will the player do here? What do I have to work with, and what can I do with it?".

So... I scrapped it! Restart! A map with its broken-ness rooted to its core design can't be saved. I'd recycle certain ideas later though.

For the new iteration, I placed the buildings in the order you see so the player receives certain info before their first main goal; the mart. The player is almost guaranteed to stop by the school, the gym, and both blocked-off exits before finding the mart.

For the aesthetic approach, I tried to lean back to the original's aesthetic, but removed the paved paths to give it a more "rural" feel. Generally, every area is defined by what's around it. PokéCenter is near one exit, the gym is surrounded by water on one side, the fork in the western path is littered with rocks, there's a waterfall with an item ball very clearly visible, and the mart is accessed with a dock. The player always has something interesting to look at (IMO).

As for the other guy who gave the old map an 8/10 without explanation, shame on you. I want these critics to try their hardest at making me feel worthless so I can improve myself.

MAPSHOT IN THE ATTACHMENTS... as you can see.

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2012
MY REVIEW:

Test map or not it's really good. Assuming the player's house is intended to be the bottom-left one, it gives the player an interesting path, they get to see the lab and the mart before leaving, and the surroundings are pretty interesting to look at. Also, I love love LOVE those tiles. I wish I had that kind of pixel talent.

MY MAP... but first, context:

DAMN, THAT HURT! THANK YOU!

I really took that criticism to heart for this next one. After reading that, I got to thinking: "why was my forest good but not the city?"

The answer was the approach I took to designing it. For the forest, everything was designed around the path the player would take to get out, and being able to show things to the player they would be able to get. In a city, you don't have a clear goal, it's more of a checkpoint for the next route/dungeon.

Then I got to thinking: "what will the player do here? What do I have to work with, and what can I do with it?".

So... I scrapped it! Restart! A map with its broken-ness rooted to its core design can't be saved. I'd recycle certain ideas later though.

For the new iteration, I placed the buildings in the order you see so the player receives certain info before their first main goal; the mart. The player is almost guaranteed to stop by the school, the gym, and both blocked-off exits before finding the mart.

For the aesthetic approach, I tried to lean back to the original's aesthetic, but removed the paved paths to give it a more "rural" feel. Generally, every area is defined by what's around it. PokéCenter is near one exit, the gym is surrounded by water on one side, the fork in the western path is littered with rocks, there's a waterfall with an item ball very clearly visible, and the mart is accessed with a dock. The player always has something interesting to look at (IMO).

As for the other guy who gave the old map an 8/10 without explanation, shame on you. I want these critics to try their hardest at making me feel worthless so I can improve myself.

MAPSHOT IN THE ATTACHMENTS... as you can see.

The town is great. There are a few tile errors with the waterfall and the small pond above it (in the corners). I don't really like the rocks in the water being different. Maybe consider doing all one way (ie all rocks w/ shadows or all rocks w/out shadows)? The flowers seem a little too structured. It's okay if a few are. The middle horizontal path seems a little slim. But overall, it's great.

7/10

Map Name: Orilis Region
Map Game: Custom but going into a Hacked FireRed
Comments: The town and route set up was almost impromtu. But the geography (land shape, whatever) took a little thinking.

FrozenInfernoZX

What is out there?
Years
The town is great. There are a few tile errors with the waterfall and the small pond above it (in the corners). I don't really like the rocks in the water being different. Maybe consider doing all one way (ie all rocks w/ shadows or all rocks w/out shadows)? The flowers seem a little too structured. It's okay if a few are. The middle horizontal path seems a little slim. But overall, it's great.

7/10

Map Name: Orilis Region
Map Game: Custom but going into a Hacked FireRed
Comments: The town and route set up was almost impromtu. But the geography (land shape, whatever) took a little thinking.

Region Maps! I live seeing new regions, so expansive. Your map is pretty good. Well thought out. The only thing that may be bothersome in the future is that your northern island is too far north. The top 2 8x8 blocks are no selectable areas in the in game region map.

I'll give it 9/10.

Map Name: Taejo Region (4th and final make over)
Map Game: Pokemon TBA (FireRed)
Comments: Finally got to insert a region map after my 4th Taejo region makeover. I'm set with this map. This region is north of Kanto and east of a new region (that is north of Johto). I'll be looking to include an "extended" Kanto via route 25 to show region connectivity. And the western "smaller" region. I don't think I'll include Johto in the hack, maybe just connectivity through Mt. Mortar or Lake of Rage through my other new region that is TBA.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2014
Map Name: Taejo Region (4th and final make over)
Map Game: Pokemon TBA (FireRed)
Comments: Finally got to insert a region map after my 4th Taejo region makeover. I'm set with this map. This region is north of Kanto and east of a new region (that is north of Johto). I'll be looking to include an "extended" Kanto via route 25 to show region connectivity. And the western "smaller" region. I don't think I'll include Johto in the hack, maybe just connectivity through Mt. Mortar or Lake of Rage through my other new region that is TBA.

This region is in the same spot as my region! It's like one plane of existence is overlapping another. OH GOD THERE GOES THE TIME SPACE CONTINUUM!!

All jokes aside, this looks like a pretty good region. Everything's nice and connected, and the routes seem about the right length. The shape of the landmass is a little bland though. Maybe show a couple small rivers going into the mainland, or towards the lake, I'm not sure.

Overall, I'd say 7 out of 10

Here's mine:

Map: Rosewood City
Game: my Ruby hack
This is the one of the largest towns in my hack right now. The reason the Gym is an old Japanese tower is because it's the only surviving building from the original town that burned down long ago. North of here is the snowy side of a mountain, south is a dry canyon, and east is Cycling Road.

Edit: Well no one's reviewed me yet, so I'll add one more. It's the same city, just during a point in the story where it gets burnt to the ground by SPOILER.

Last edited:

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
Years
This region is in the same spot as my region! It's like one plane of existence is overlapping another. OH GOD THERE GOES THE TIME SPACE CONTINUUM!!

All jokes aside, this looks like a pretty good region. Everything's nice and connected, and the routes seem about the right length. The shape of the landmass is a little bland though. Maybe show a couple small rivers going into the mainland, or towards the lake, I'm not sure.

Overall, I'd say 7 out of 10

Here's mine:

Map: Rosewood City
Game: my Ruby hack
This is the one of the largest towns in my hack right now. The reason the Gym is an old Japanese tower is because it's the only surviving building from the original town that burned down long ago. North of here is the snowy side of a mountain, south is a dry canyon, and east is Cycling Road.
Spoiler:

Rated Map: Above in spoilers

Rating: Both are rated 9/10

Reason: Everything's superb! I don't notice any problems

Suggestions:
Now this isn't about your map, but rather
where the exits go. One goes to a dry desert and the other one goes to a snowy mountain? Climate clash much? Oh and one thing about the map: is it me or is it odd that the gym and that FRLG bicycle shop building survived? Sure, it's okay the Pokecenter survived because everyone needs a Pokecenter ;) but the other two aren't really needed. Unless the bicycle shop is actually the mart.

------

Map Name: Winding Town

Map Game: Pok
émon Blast (FireRed)

Comments: It's the starter town. I personally think it looks better than Clearview Town (not for the same hack.)

Spoiler:

CapnCrunch

Captain
Years
Review My Map

Review:
-Map Name: Winding City

Ok, to start. I think this map is pretty simplistic. I do like your use of trees and think they are in good places. I do not like the use of path ways in front of House' doors. I personally like to make paths connecting everything the Player should be walking to. Your flowers are really nicely placed, and theres not too many of them. Quesion: Since this is the starter town, shouldn't the Lab be there? Maybe you have a different plan, which is cool, I was just curious.

Overall Rating: 8/10 Stars :D

Map Name: Ice Path Troll
Map Game: FireRed
Comments: This is a map i made with my own tilesets, please review it as I really like it and want to see what I can do better at.

*Cant put direct image here because I dont have a total of 15 posts here yet*

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2014
@CapnCrunch
Review: Ice Path Troll
The map looks very interesting. I don't know the game, so I don't know the objective of the path. Make sure the encounter rate isn't too high, by the way. :D
The way you laid out the trees looks very natural and neat at the same time. If you can slide over the frozen pond, that would be very cool. In fact, you can even make a mini ice puzzle there if you wanted. I like how there are multiple entrances.
The big, icy rocks look like they could get the shading done a little better. You could lighten the shading at the top maybe. I'm not sure; I'm not that great of an artist. :D Also, unless you have map connections, it is really not going to look good when you get to the north and south areas because of the looping four square tiles.

Rating: 95%
----------------------------------------------------------
Map Name: Route 5
ROM: Fire Red
Tileset: Mew_Ryn and some of my own tiles.
Description: This is the fifth route in my ROM hack, Pokemon Silicon. It is a small route. It leads to Route 6, a much longer route. Do not take into much consideration of areas the player cannot see. Those areas don't matter much at all.
Image:
OptTs.jpg

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
(sorry about taking out the quote, it was making my laptop run so slow, I couldn't even reply)
Map Name: Route 5
Rating: 8/10
Reason:
I personally prefer a bit more room to roam while going through routes. It makes it a bit more interesting, as well as takes up more time for the player to go through it, haha. I do, however really like the tiles and the multiple levels the player walks through, and how the player basically has to go backwards to get to the house on the upper right.
Suggestions:
I might suggest to cut away into the rocks on the right or left, lower corners and add a bit of roaming areas, maybe for a trainer battle, or an item to find, or possibly just some grass? If not that, maybe widen out the walking areas near the water so they're not right on the edge of the water.

My map-
Name: Unknown (actual name)
Game: Fire Red
Comments:
In my hack, the player will talk to a strange man who will warp them to this area, it's basically a dream/nonexistent world. The player will start out in front of "RED/ASH's" house, and won't be able to enter any of the buildings. There is a fake Pallet Town on the lower right, a fake Newbark Town on the upper left, and a fake, generic city in the middle with buildings, a GYM, etc. I've made the whole tileset and made it gray, however, the pallet got a bit different when it came to the mountains. There will also be a series of events here, and once the player has completed them, they will be warped out of the area, unable to return. Also, I left the black around the borders of the maps and cut them off by their trees to keep the feeling of "lost" or "realm" so it seems less real.

thanethane98

Self Proclaimed Expert
Years
  • Seen Nov 16, 2013
My map-
Name: Unknown (actual name)
Comments:
In my hack, the player will talk to a strange man who will warp them to this area, it's basically a dream/nonexistent world. The player will start out in front of "RED/ASH's" house, and won't be able to enter any of the buildings. There is a fake Pallet Town on the lower right, a fake Newbark Town on the upper left, and a fake, generic city in the middle with buildings, a GYM, etc. I've made the whole tileset and made it gray, however, the pallet got a bit different when it came to the mountains. There will also be a series of events here, and once the player has completed them, they will be warped out of the area, unable to return. Also, I left the black around the borders of the maps and cut them off by their trees to keep the feeling of "lost" or "realm" so it seems less real.

Review: This is pretty interesting, reminds me of the distortion world (all it would need is fitting music :p). Yeah, the palette of the mountains is a little weird, but it doesn't take away from the feel you're trying to get with this map, so it works. The only problem's with this map are the barren areas and buildings. The two large buildings in the middle look odd with just a door and big wall, especially when one of them isn't centered. The labs in the map sort of have this problem, but not as badly. The only other area that could use something would be the area between the middle city and New Bark Town, maybe just 1 or 2 things there so that it's not a big empty space?

Overall, great work. This map would definitely work as it is, but with a bit of improvement it'd be perfect. :)

Map Name: Route 1

Map Game: Pokemon Firered

Comments: I rushed this map a lot. Right now, it seems like it's missing something, and I just don't know what.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
Review: This is pretty interesting, reminds me of the distortion world (all it would need is fitting music :p). Yeah, the palette of the mountains is a little weird, but it doesn't take away from the feel you're trying to get with this map, so it works. The only problem's with this map are the barren areas and buildings. The two large buildings in the middle look odd with just a door and big wall, especially when one of them isn't centered. The labs in the map sort of have this problem, but not as badly. The only other area that could use something would be the area between the middle city and New Bark Town, maybe just 1 or 2 things there so that it's not a big empty space?

Overall, great work. This map would definitely work as it is, but with a bit of improvement it'd be perfect. :)

Comments: I rushed this map a lot. Right now, it seems like it's missing something, and I just don't know what.

Right, dunno what you're missing, but I can tell you rushed it. WAY too much grass making random encounters far too annoying, the overlap of the trees are all tile errors as you've used the wrong tiles, no tip on the trees that overlap the grass. Narrow spaces are also a no no, but that I don't really mind too much. So, what it does need is more space where there is no grass, you know, for a break, and maybe some flowers should be scattered. Also, maybe a path in some areas to reduce the cramped claustrophobia that the map seems to give me.

6.8/10 for what it is, but has potential to be majorly increased.

thanethane98

Self Proclaimed Expert
Years
  • Seen Nov 16, 2013
Right, dunno what you're missing, but I can tell you rushed it. WAY too much grass making random encounters far too annoying, the overlap of the trees are all tile errors as you've used the wrong tiles, no tip on the trees that overlap the grass. Narrow spaces are also a no no, but that I don't really mind too much. So, what it does need is more space where there is no grass, you know, for a break, and maybe some flowers should be scattered. Also, maybe a path in some areas to reduce the cramped claustrophobia that the map seems to give me.

6.8/10 for what it is, but has potential to be majorly increased.
Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking when I made that, now that I look back on it...

Anyways, I tossed that idea aside and decided to try something different. Here's what I've come up with instead (it should be a lot better...).

Comments: This one seems a lot more simple to me, but it looks a whole lot better. This route probably is a little short, but with trainer battles and items to distract the player, I think it'll be as long as it needs to be. So, is this one any good?

Years
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking when I made that, now that I look back on it...

Anyways, I tossed that idea aside and decided to try something different. Here's what I've come up with instead (it should be a lot better...).

Comments: This one seems a lot more simple to me, but it looks a whole lot better. This route probably is a little short, but with trainer battles and items to distract the player, I think it'll be as long as it needs to be. So, is this one any good?

A simple and great beginner route however IMO you replace the wooden fences with ledges and another thing IMO is that you dont put the cliffs there and replace them with something else. I just don't get the point of too many obstacles in the first route now for mine

Attachments

• Route1.PNG
    Route1.PNG
    16.8 KB · Views: 98

M.L

Invisible
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017
A simple and great beginner route however IMO you replace the wooden fences with ledges and another thing IMO is that you dont put the cliffs there and replace them with something else. I just don't get the point of too many obstacles in the first route now for mine

Its empty the placement is "odd" the map does not look so great it needs some work.... the placement is awkward, use some larger trees and not so much grass try to make it more interesting but not annoying.

Map Name: Resiliance town
ROM Type: FR
Credits: Eddies fr base :) and all the tile artists!
Map Image:
Spoiler:

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
Map Name: Resiliance town
ROM Type: FR
Credits: Eddies fr base :) and all the tile artists!
Map Image:
Spoiler:

Woah, really cool I rate this 8/10 I like that Pokemon Center tile it looks great that way! But there's a tile error down there in the tree... :)

Map Name: Tranquill City
Map Game : FireRed
Comments: I could really use some new tiles but, something could be done with FR tiles! :) This is also the starter city in my upcoming hack, the title will be kept secret as of now, I know about those flowers I might change the map once I get some reviews/ratings... :)
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

DaleH771

Pokémon: Giovanni Origins developer
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
My Rate
Spoiler:

My Map
Map Name: Twinleaf town, Route 201 & Sandgem Town.
Hack name: Pokemon: Sinnoh Silver

A hack I hope to make. It is NOT a remake of Diamond, Pearl or Platinum. Just a new game, based in Sinnoh using a Pokemon Silver ROM base.

Would people be interested in a hack like this? Do the maps look like interesting maps to play, Sinnoh in GBC? Let me know!

RegionMap.png

SK3

Pokemon Hacking Company™ CEO
Years
That's a pretty interesting hack idea :)
9/10 overall, maps look great, I just would've done a tiiiiny bit more with Sandgem. Still awesome though :D

VoltraK

Not Beginning Trainer
Years
My Rate
Spoiler:

My Map
Map Name: Twinleaf town, Route 201 & Sandgem Town.
Hack name: Pokemon: Sinnoh Silver

A hack I hope to make. It is NOT a remake of Diamond, Pearl or Platinum. Just a new game, based in Sinnoh using a Pokemon Silver ROM base.

Would people be interested in a hack like this? Do the maps look like interesting maps to play, Sinnoh in GBC? Let me know!

RegionMap.png

I like the idea. as for the map, 9/10. Looks almost identical to a degraded Sinnoh. Although like SK3 said, Sandgem does seem a little empty in the lowwer right corner.
Otherwwise, great.

as for my map

Spoiler:

Name: Route 256
Region: LEKKON
My Hack: Pokemon Sparks Of Ages
Comments: North is the 2nd gym leader towwn, South is a somewwhat Mountainous route

.parado✗

paranormal user
Years
Well, this map is a bit too straight.
More trees and mountains would have not hurt this map in my opinion :)
As I miss much high grass on many routes, you made it well.
7/10, i like the structur ;)

And now mine..
For my Hack pokemon septa
Credits go to Calis Project, WesleyFG and Red-eX
The Flags are by me so don't use it!

Hack Name: Pokemon Septa
Map Name: Intercity
Rom: Ruby (U)

Spoiler:

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
I really like the looks of this map. You've clearly put effort in making it and having new graphics in it doesn't look "out of place". Not that they often do but the flags, buildings, cars, pretty much everything fullfill each other.

VoltraK

Not Beginning Trainer
Years
Well, this map is a bit too straight.
More trees and mountains would have not hurt this map in my opinion :)
As I miss much high grass on many routes, you made it well.
7/10, i like the structur ;)

And now mine..
For my Hack pokemon septa
Credits go to Calis Project, WesleyFG and Red-eX
The Flags are by me so don't use it!

Hack Name: Pokemon Septa
Map Name: Intercity
Rom: Ruby (U)

Spoiler:

8.5/10

I like howw it uses some modern real wworld features, like Cars, Newws Station etc. Although, all the cars are the same, wwhich irritates me. Howw do people tell there cars apart? I also like that little area in the top right, an the flags are cool also

Another map of mine noww

http://oi46.tinypic.com/jt04ut.jpg

Name: ROUTE 255
Hack: Pokemon Sparks Of Ages
Region: LEKKON
Comments: the NorthWWest Corner leads to the map I posted last time in this thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back