• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: How did you discover Rom Hacking?

Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2012
I discovered rom hacking when i reached lavender town in fire red. I had (and still have) a large interest in lavender town, the song didn't scare me, but i loved humming it and i adored it. Until i turned 7 and devoloped the feeling called "Creepyness". One day i was on a youtube vid about the lavender town theme, and i found in the suggestions a video about pokemon choas. I watched it and thought "What is this??". After reading the comments for 5 minutes, i found out it was rom hacking, a process in which you get a gba game's guts onto your computer and play it in your gba gut player. Except with the game modified in ways that can make it a totally different. I got myself an emulator and gba fire red file. Then after moar research, i got all the programs neccecary and made rom hack.

.parado✗

paranormal user
Years
Oh my Godness, its long ago to remember it well^^
I think i saw a Hack on Youtube, googled it and played some.
After that I was encouraged to make my own :P

Majarath

ROM-hacker
Years
That was almost ten years ago, so I don't really remember.

I think the first thing I did was downloading PokeMap and GoldMap and fool around with them, but I don't know how I found out they existed. I didn't join any ROM-hacking communities until a few years later.

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
How I started ROM Hacking

I was a boy about 7-8 years old and was on YouTube to look for stuff I could do on Pokemon I found a video called Pokemon: The Hack and it featured an item called Glitch Powder and I did not know what hack meant or read a description or even look at TamashiiHiroka's other hack videos. A few years later, I got my first laptop and I somehow typed in Glitch Powder without knowing and found the video again and I found the description and her videos on how to hack so I experimented and later found PC and registered to download hacking tools and stayed because back then new tools came often and I would check the forums and I fell in love with PC and found some tutorials and am now working on a hack.

~Sincerely
Pikakitten, devout member of the Pokecommunity

slim spazzy

Kik: spazzyda59
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
Well... it all happenned to me long ago... in the year 2007 when i was in 4th grade..... o used to be a major fan of th GBA serires of pokemon and one daywhile searchin for some pokemon games on the net.... i accidiently stumbled onto a website called whack a hack.com...... i saw an image os hiny gold in which the main character was battling his red haired rival...... and i being a hardcore fan of the gsc series on the sot knew that this game was familiar..... and then i started searching on the web about hacks and found many like naranja and so on.......... then i learnt a bit of scripting in pokemon gold...and i ffinally signed up on pc :D

SoliderOfMisfortune

Master in the making.
Years
  • Seen Jun 24, 2013
Youtube..... I found out when I typed in "Pokemon" In Youtube and got to "That part" of Youtube. There were some people who hacked Pokemon games and made them tell stories and then they'd put them on Youtube like it was a T.V. Show. I eventually found out the call themselves the NGH (Next Generation Hackers) And I enjoyed watching the stories take place. The series that I remember msot fondly are the Golds Adventure Series and Pokemon Dawn of Darkness. They both contained music soundtracks from multiple games I recognize now. Among others though I also remember watch the series revolving around Doryan the water master. After I learned how they did it and found I could do it I started downloading the tools.... That eventually brought me here. :)

bondi.blues

there is a glow at the horizon
Years
  • Seen Jul 21, 2013
I found out about ROM hacking a long time ago. I had just gotten the first generation iPod Touch and I planned to jailbreak it so I could emulate the GBA games on it. This was back in 2007 or 2008. I was searching for a download for Emerald or Fire Red or something and I somehow stumbled across Naranja, the Orange Islands hack. I was really interested in trying to do something like that myself and eventually found myself here.

Years
  • Seen Nov 15, 2019
I was trying to figure out how to play GBA games on my computer, some how I got here.... -_-"

Now a gig on my computer is fully devoted to pokemon hacks....

Years
  • Seen Dec 3, 2014
I discovered Rom hacking when i traveled to malaysia for pokemon games, hoping they were legitiment i recieved pokemon Darkcry instead, i searched up on fake pokemon games and it eventually lead me to this

Back