• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen New Abilities Speculation Thread!

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
Just post what kind of new abilities there should be in the new game. I think of a ability called Growth which is just a combination of Chlorophyll and Solar Power.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
I'd like an ability that works just like Intimidate, but lowers Special Attack instead of Attack.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Yes an ability of that kind would be great(Now Alakazam won't stop us). Also what about an ability Which lowers the pokemon attack after hit by a Physical move?

That'd be kind of crazy, unless it has contr--actually no I see no benefit to that whatsoever. XD;

But yes the Intimidate one would be nice :3

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
Years
Huge Power, you mean?

Anyway, I'm hoping for a permanent half-effectiveness Miracle Eye, along with a retcon to Scrappy to make it half-effectiveness. The first allows a Dark/Psychic/Fighting trio, the second prevents Scrappy from allowing Ghost/Dark types from being hit super-effectively.

(Foresight, Odor Sleuth, and Miracle Eye themselves would retain their present effects, including the ability to hit Sableye and Spiritomb for SE damage.)

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Why would they depower scrappy? it's fine how it is imo.

I want that special intimidate. Also I want an ability in which the pokemon instantly uses moves that need charging such as Sky Attack and Solarbeam.

Deceit

Toxic.
Years
OK, here are some really random ideas...
an ability that works like download, except for defense. Like if you sent out the pokemon, it would gain either defense or special defense, depending on which stat is higher for the opponent.
Another random ability is when the pokemon is hit with a move (let's say tackle), then the receiver of the attack will gain in its attack stat by 1, since tackle is physical. And the same for something likw water gun, the receiver gains special attack. It can either work like this up to two times per switch-in, or it can be a +2 on the stat.

Also, I was thinking about Magmaruby's thought of not having to charge, and I was thinking of something kind of similar, but for stat decreases and gains. Now this is really weird, but it's just an idea.
So basically, if the pokemon gets hit with a stat gaining or decreasing move, they all happen at the end of the next turn the stat move was used. So let's say Rattata used Overheat. It wouldn't lose Special Attack until the end of next turn. And the same for gains and increases. But this can easily be abused, I know, as pokemon can use strong moves like Overheat two times before having the lower come in. But yeah, just a weird idea.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Also, I was thinking about Magmaruby's thought of not having to charge, and I was thinking of something kind of similar, but for stat decreases and gains. Now this is really weird, but it's just an idea.
So basically, if the pokemon gets hit with a stat gaining or decreasing move, they all happen at the end of the next turn the stat move was used. So let's say Rattata used Overheat. It wouldn't lose Special Attack until the end of next turn. And the same for gains and increases. But this can easily be abused, I know, as pokemon can use strong moves like Overheat two times before having the lower come in. But yeah, just a weird idea.

That'd be way too strong. ;( I don't think they'd introduce an ability that allows that, MRAS' seems more likely tho!

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
An ability for Poison types that turns rain toxic, damaging any non-poison types and removing its water related benefits.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

^ Good Idea. What about a fire Pokemon that stops rain because it turns it to steam before it can hit the ground? Or an ice Pokemon that can change rain to hail because freeze water before it gets to the ground? That would shake up competitive weather a bit.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
Fog Machine - Brings back the fog weather effect from Gen 4. Half the new Pokemon have it as their only ability. Players quit in droves.

Oh Arceus noooo!

But for serious, I wouldn't mind more Lightningrod-esque abilities for the otherwise weak new Pokemon. I mean, heck, Storm Drain made Gastrodon super useful in countering rain teams, why not an ability like that for more weaker Pokemon?

Perhaps an ability that increases accuracy to 100% for damaging moves but puts in a power penalty. Inaccurate moves like DynamicPunch could see limited use outside of No Guard.

Perhaps a randomized and limited Wonder Guard? Perhaps every turn the ability activates and renders the Pokemon immune to blank-type moves for that turn. Maybe a bit subject to RNG, but so is Moody, and it could be interesting.

A reverse Multi-scale, making Pokemon below say... 40% health take less damage. Do you go for an HP balancing act and go for a set with perhaps Reversal or do you play it safe and try to stay healthy?

I think those would be pretty interesting to see.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
An ability for Poison types that turns rain toxic, damaging any non-poison types and removing its water related benefits.

^ Good Idea. What about a fire Pokemon that stops rain because it turns it to steam before it can hit the ground? Or an ice Pokemon that can change rain to hail because freeze water before it gets to the ground? That would shake up competitive weather a bit.

Omgggg I want these ideas. Especially the hail to freeze water, and the poison rain :3 Imagine what the first one would do to stall teams, oh my God.

Mujahid

Sir Froakie is impressed.
Years

That sounds awesome. Poison types really need something to go there way.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I've been hoping for a burn variant of Poison Heal since Gen IV, and now seems like a good time to introduce that ability.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I've been hoping for a burn variant of Poison Heal since Gen IV, and now seems like a good time to introduce that ability.

I liike if you give it to things uhhh well, grass mons that otherwise have Chlorophyll...? Or maybe that doesn't work out well. XD; Actually I'm not sure what it'd go to really.

Back