• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: DNS - Day, Night and Seasons

Lance32497

LanceKoijer of Pokemon_Addicts
Years
1) The DNS alone is not enough to evolve Eevee's by Day and Night without introducing some ASM, I believe I said this previously or said I was uncertain, but I think this how it goes.
2) You can find, if you take 5 minutes to skim through the thread, a tutorial to how to input the proper ASM, if I do so recall.
3) Usually, your problems are solved by reading the thread. When there are 10 or fewer pages, there is no excuse not to if you have an issue.

EDIT: Thank you for wasting all of our time, because i did in fact directly tell you that you needed to use some ASM coding in a previous post. Please, don't ask something and then totally disregard the information given to you and then complain about you trying to make it work and failing. You just wasted my time replying to you as well as your own because you don't know how to listen.
(I am not in a good enough mood to deal with stupidity after getting hit by a car; so if anybody has a problem with this response that is why.)

Im so sorry for that, I didnt read comments because when I load my rom in DNS, I read in about that It supports Day and Night evo. not knowing that I need to put ASM manually, Im really really sorry.

PSYqualiac

King of Eatos!
Years
Im so sorry for that, I didnt read comments because when I load my rom in DNS, I read in about that It supports Day and Night evo. not knowing that I need to put ASM manually, Im really really sorry.

If the Tool is saying that, I'm confused. XD It may be a glitch then. The implementation may have been intended and just never happened. I am looking into a way to do it though, just for you without ASM

Lance32497

LanceKoijer of Pokemon_Addicts
Years
If the Tool is saying that, I'm confused. XD It may be a glitch then. The implementation may have been intended and just never happened. I am looking into a way to do it though, just for you without ASM

No no no!, I can insert ASM, but If you will, then its fine, hackers who use your tool will be having a lesser work

anonyboy

Pokemon Aerial Emerald Creator&Pokemon Hybrid Co-C
Years
guys, could anyone share here how to make windows light up in DNS?

Years
  • Seen Jan 21, 2021
So, the day/night cycle works great, and I love how it looks! But there is one thing I would love to be able to change. The times I play pretty much mean I never get to see the morning pallette, and see the night time ones about 80% of the time. Is there any way to make it so instead of going through every time once a day, I could make it change every hour or something? I really don't expect it to be possible with the tool or anything, but I think that would be cool.

xboxmandude

Rom Hacker
Years
Okay... I have a few questions about this tool...
I havent had a chance to download and test it yet...
So...
1 is there a tutorial for this tool? I'm a beginner at hacking and don't fully understand the offsets and ram offsets thing :P
2 is it possible to have only two times of day... Instead of like six?
I only want the normal time and a slightly dim... Like night-evening...
3 is it safe to use on an already hacked rom? Im working on a hack :P i dont want to start over...

Years
  • Seen Jan 21, 2021
2 is it possible to have only two times of day... Instead of like six?
I only want the normal time and a slightly dim... Like night-evening...
3 is it safe to use on an already hacked rom? Im working on a hack :P i dont want to start over...

I can help out with these two questions. First, you can use it on any rom, no matter how far along it is. Perfectly safe. :) As for switching times of day, you can do that as well.

For the other question, you can make it so it has anywhere from 1 to 6 different times. You can change how long, as you can see, but with how this screenshot is now, as you can see by those RGB checkmarks, all times will be the same (which you can see by the viewer at the top). Mess around with those checkmarks, and you can make it go from day to night back and forth throughout the day, night besides one hour of the day, or whatever else you wanna do with it.

fiBnmMd.png

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Oct 5, 2019
So, I'm trying to get this working for Emerald and I can get the DAN functioning, but what about the seasons? Do I need to make a new header? I know I need to know what the tileset offsets are to do so, but the problem with that is that I have no idea what the tileset offsets are and nobody in the thread has said what they are at any point. The fact that this still, after so many years, does not have a tutorial, is very frustrating.

Criminon

Forever Spriting
Years
I can't seem to get this working either. I have installed the RTC, as well as the DAN. Its showing both systems are installed. I have properly located the free space to install, and made sure I had ample room around it just incase anything was off. I have enabled RTC in VBA, as well as force enabling it.

How does the RTC work in VBA? Does it display time based off of what my computer time is? If I change my comp time, should that change my graphics in game? How long does it take for graphics to switch over? What should I be looking for?

Currently I run around like an idiot in game waiting for stuff to change, and so far everything looks the same. I've tried it in routes, in cities, everywhere I can.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
I can't seem to get this working either. I have installed the RTC, as well as the DAN. Its showing both systems are installed. I have properly located the free space to install, and made sure I had ample room around it just incase anything was off. I have enabled RTC in VBA, as well as force enabling it.

How does the RTC work in VBA? Does it display time based off of what my computer time is? If I change my comp time, should that change my graphics in game? How long does it take for graphics to switch over? What should I be looking for?

Currently I run around like an idiot in game waiting for stuff to change, and so far everything looks the same. I've tried it in routes, in cities, everywhere I can.
Assuming the version of VBA/VBA-M you're using doesn't have a messed-up RTC implementation and that you have it enabled in the emulator, the time in your modified ROM in-game should be the same as the time on the machine you're playing it on. If playing on a laptop, it'll represent the time on your laptop.

If you implemented DAN in your ROM, the lighting outside in-game will also change based on the time on your machine. It's very noticeable. You can check to see if it's working by changing the time on your laptop to sometime at night. The lighting on the overworld should be very dark.

Criminon

Forever Spriting
Years
Assuming the version of VBA/VBA-M you're using doesn't have a messed-up RTC implementation and that you have it enabled in the emulator, the time in your modified ROM in-game should be the same as the time on the machine you're playing it on. If playing on a laptop, it'll represent the time on your laptop.

If you implemented DAN in your ROM, the lighting outside in-game will also change based on the time on your machine. It's very noticeable. You can check to see if it's working by changing the time on your laptop to sometime at night. The lighting on the overworld should be very dark.

Got it working! Was just impatient. Everything functioned correctly the first go.

Mod: sorry for double posting. Feel free to delete this one. I wanted to be helpful and I wanted to make sure it pinged his account as a reply.

Last edited:

Criminon

Forever Spriting
Years
Hello, does anyone here know how to check if it's daytime or night in a script?

Since there are technically 3 slots for night, this is what you would want to use:

comparefarbytetobyte 0x203C000 0x0 ///this is complete night
if == jump @itsnight ' Equal To
comparefarbytetobyte 0x203C000 0x4 ///this is dusk
comparefarbytetobyte 0x203C000 0x5 ///this is twilight

if you look on the bottom right of the program, it says "status byte" these are the corresponding #s for night.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen May 15, 2015
Not working at all for me.... Perhaps I am setting it up wrong? Anyone else have this problem?

Criminon

Forever Spriting
Years
Not working at all for me.... Perhaps I am setting it up wrong? Anyone else have this problem?

HOW TO GET THE PROGRAM WORKING
Open the program "FSF" (free space finder)
Open windows calculator and change it to programmer mode.
Open the DNS program.

In the DNS program, look where it says install RTC (on the left) it should have a # on how much free space it needs.
Click the calculator and click hex mode.
Type in that #.
Click the decimal mode.
Copy that # and paste it into FSF after opening the rom.
Click search.
Copy that # and paste it into the RTC and hit install.
This will now install it to that offset.
Now, do the same process with night and day, and seasons if you want those.

The RTC is a clock based system. It basically makes variables in the game that will read off the time. Until you make it do something, you won't see a difference.
The day and night system works on the REAL time of day and night. So if its still day outside where you are, you won't see a difference.
Wait until night time or morning. Also make sure you have your emulator's real time clock enabled.
Options -> Game emulator -> Game override -> Real time clock enabled. (This is for VBA)

I haven't touched seasons and won't touch them. Too much spriting.

USING NIGHT FUNCTIONS

Since there are technically 3 slots for night, this is what you would want to use:
Spoiler:

if you look on the bottom right of the program, it says "status byte" these are the corresponding #s for night.

TELLING WHAT DAY IT IS

if you're looking to check what day it is, first you have to understand how the information reads. If you look on the DNS program at the RTC area. You're going to see the offset where the RTC is installed, and then you're going to see the time will be written to "0x0300553c"
Now since it seems like there has been a lot of innacuracy on this specific offset throughout this thread, causing a lot of issues, we have to do this to confirm we're in the right spot:

Open up VBA.
Click tools -> memory viewer -> and type in your offset.

You're going to see:

DF 07 etc etc etc

If you reverse DF 07 you get 07DF, and that's 2015 in hex. (Hey we found the year offset!)
Now we know the corresponding days...
0 is sunday 1 is monday 2 is tuesday etc... so which one of these #s lines up with what day it is?
Click the one that does. At the bottom right you will see the offset for comparefarbytetobyte. Grats!

Spoiler:

Hopefully this clears up confusion.

Edit: I don't mind if this post is stickied somewhere to help out.

Last edited:
Back