Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 17th, 2014 (11:55 AM).
BadSamaritan
This isn't even my final form!!!

Nature: Timid
Quote originally posted by Florio:
The latest map from my game, this is the end part of Route 11 (the same route with barn), and splits off into two directions. A town to the west, and another route to the south.

Spoiler:
I really like it! It certainly doesn't have any of the issues people mentioned about your barn a few posts back.

I only have two minor issues with it. The first is that the pond is really small and seems out of place. I might be thinking too seriously about it, but I would find it hard to believe someone would build a bridge over that instead of just cutting down a path through the trees to the side.

My other very minor gripe is that there are perhaps a few too many hidden item spots. Between the small rocks and holes in the grass, I feel like there is just a smidge too much to check.

But other than that, it's a solid map.
Old December 17th, 2014 (12:12 PM).
Java's Missingno.
Notoriously Overscoped

Nature: Quiet
Quote originally posted by Derxwna Kapsyla:
Spoiler:
Well.. It's.. big. And a lot of attention to detail was put into it. However, there are quite a few areas that are merely wasted space, some of which seem to just be you naturally extending features so that that they connect(IE the river, which is only visible from 2 points, despite having a large L-bend in it), Also, you have your bodies of water up to the cliff face multiple times. There should be at least half a tile(or even just a small ridge) against the edge of the cliff face so that it doesn't look like a glass of water filled exactly to the top. As much as it takes away from the awe factor, I'd recommend splitting the route into 'zones' all with the same map name, and focusing on each one individually.

Currently working on UNITE. Will create a thread when a playable demo is out.
Old December 22nd, 2014 (07:31 AM).
Evilrake

I've decided to go back over the first section of my game and redo a lot of the routes and towns. Mostly, I wanted to bring my game up to the standard I have now I made as opposed to my standard from a year ago when I first started out in game development. At first I wasn't sure if I wanted to make such a big time commitment considering it wouldn't be adding any new content upon the demo I've already released, but since I've started I'm so glad to be replacing some of the maps I was unhappy with with ones I love. Especially thanks to Help-14's seasons script which makes the in-game feel so much more exciting.

Here's an example of the change. No judgements on the first image pls, it was the first route/forest I ever made x).

Old Kaishi Forest:

Spoiler:

And the new Kaishi Forest (Spring):

Spoiler:

Old December 22nd, 2014 (02:48 PM).
BadSamaritan

Quote originally posted by Evilrake:
I've decided to go back over the first section of my game and redo a lot of the routes and towns. Mostly, I wanted to bring my game up to the standard I have now I made as opposed to my standard from a year ago when I first started out in game development. At first I wasn't sure if I wanted to make such a big time commitment considering it wouldn't be adding any new content upon the demo I've already released, but since I've started I'm so glad to be replacing some of the maps I was unhappy with with ones I love. Especially thanks to Help-14's seasons script which makes the in-game feel so much more exciting.

Here's an example of the change. No judgements on the first image pls, it was the first route/forest I ever made x).

Old Kaishi Forest:

Spoiler:

And the new Kaishi Forest (Spring):

Spoiler:
As far as layout is concerned, it's definitely much more dynamic and interesting than your first version.

But it has one big flaw in my opinion, and that's the trees. There's no depth to them in terms of value. Some kind of Hue shift between values would help too, because they are SO green right now. But by far the biggest issue with them is that weird purple cast shadow it has. For some reason it gets brighter around the edges, and just as a whole simply doesn't mesh well with the ground beneath it.

I'd suggest either changing the tree tile, or adding a purplish tone to the other sprites to make them work together.

Other than issue though, it is a large improvement, and I'd say worth your time to do the update.
Old December 22nd, 2014 (06:49 PM).
Evilrake

Quote originally posted by BadSamaritan:
As far as layout is concerned, it's definitely much more dynamic and interesting than your first version.

But it has one big flaw in my opinion, and that's the trees. There's no depth to them in terms of value. Some kind of Hue shift between values would help too, because they are SO green right now. But by far the biggest issue with them is that weird purple cast shadow it has. For some reason it gets brighter around the edges, and just as a whole simply doesn't mesh well with the ground beneath it.

I'd suggest either changing the tree tile, or adding a purplish tone to the other sprites to make them work together.

Other than issue though, it is a large improvement, and I'd say worth your time to do the update.
Thanks for the advice. I've modified the hue so they're the trees are a little more cyan during Spring, good call. I don't know what 'depth of value' is though sorry. About the shadow, maybe it's hard to see but there's no purple in it at all. It's totally gray.

Old December 25th, 2014 (12:18 AM).
AfroPharaoh

I made a small town and wanted some feedback. I haven't added the shadows to the buildings and a couple other things yet.
Spoiler:
Old December 25th, 2014 (05:31 AM).
Saving Raven
#BAMFPokemonNerd

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Saving Raven
Quote originally posted by AfroPharaoh:
I made a small town and wanted some feedback. I haven't added the shadows to the buildings and a couple other things yet.
Spoiler:
iunno I guess it seems fine, but the paths seem too long and straight for me. The doors are also entirely too small and I don't think the berry trees look right, you should choose a closer color to the other trees, even though you're trying to make it look distinct from them.

~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

Old December 25th, 2014 (04:40 PM).
BadSamaritan

Quote originally posted by Evilrake:
Thanks for the advice. I've modified the hue so they're the trees are a little more cyan during Spring, good call. I don't know what 'depth of value' is though sorry. About the shadow, maybe it's hard to see but there's no purple in it at all. It's totally gray.
Ah, my bad, "depth" was a bad word to pick. I guess I meant the contrast between values should be bit larger. Because right now the difference between the lighter values and the darker values are so little it makes them seem flat.(to me)

And yeah, now that I taker a closer look the bottom is indeed gray. Still though, the issue is that it pops out way to much. I'm not sure if you're using different tree tiles for the different seasons, but if not, I'd suggest maybe making the shadow part, partly transparent, so that way it blends in better with whatever color it's laying on.
Old December 29th, 2014 (03:10 AM).
Savordez
Life? Interesting, tell me more

Nature: Relaxed
Chroma City, a small city the player can visit after defeating the eighth gym. Has a Pokémon Laboratory for reviving fossils, a small mall (top-left corner) with lots of different Poké Balls on sale and the lighthouse.

Spoiler:
Old January 7th, 2015 (08:47 PM). Edited January 9th, 2015 by PeckanPie.
PeckanPie

I got the amount of posts I needed to be able to do this I hope...

So... I'm fairly new at all this and feedback would be awesome and totally appreciated. This is my first map I've made with RPG Maker with Pokemon Essentials, but I edited the default tileset myself.

The idea is like a secluded cabin in the woods as a starting house.
Spoiler:

The only thing I know I need to work on is adding snow to the house to remain consistent, but I couldn't figure out how to make it look right.

(Things I made include the snow tiles, recolored trees, flowers, grass, fences and the cut bush, as well as re-texturing the house with another's assets.)

EDIT: I've updated the map based on suggestions from people elsewhere so it's fuller and doesn't come across as compact. I also made the cut bush useful, and finished more tiles like the snow on the house. (I'll keep the original up though for comparison.)
Spoiler:
Old 2 Weeks Ago (06:27 PM).
Evilrake

Another revamp shot. (Dentouno City)

Spoiler:

This is one of the first maps I posted here when I first started, because it was one of the first maps I'd made which I was actually happy with. Still, looking back on it I can see there's a lot of places that aren't great. Random elevated area, random rock, random gardens, little space....
Most of the criticisms I got of it picked up on that latter point, but I was reluctant to change it because I didn't see how I could reconcile the cramped architecture of traditional Japanese villages (the city's thematic inspiration) with in-game playability.

(Dentouno City - Summer)
Spoiler:

In the revamp, however, I tried to address this a little better. I retained most of the same shapes and the huddled houses, because those were important to me in keeping with the traditional Japanese theme of the town, but to compensate for these confined spaces I expanded the pathways and added in little pockets of space every here and there to give the player enough breathing space. Some elements like the cliff were scrapped, others like the gardens were made more prominent so they fit in with the theme rather than sticking out. So yeah, glad I redid it.

Old 2 Weeks Ago (11:04 PM).
Rayquaza.
Lead Dev in Pokémon Chaos

Nature: Adamant
Not posted much in a while but been practicing with my pen tablet recently and managed to whip up a couple of tiles over the course of 2 days. Pretty happy with most of it.

Spoiler:
Old 2 Weeks Ago (08:37 PM).
Java's Missingno.
Notoriously Overscoped

Quote originally posted by Rayquaza.:
Not posted much in a while but been practicing with my pen tablet recently and managed to whip up a couple of tiles over the course of 2 days. Pretty happy with most of it.

Spoiler:
Not 100% sure why you tilted the image, but I'm not a big fan of the gradient trees or no-outline style. That said, the arrangement seems decent but I don't understand why there is a little ledge at the top. Additionally, the map doesn't have any tall grass, so I can only assume that this area is meant to showcase the tiles you have done or possibly be an area with a focus on story. Also, the staggered trees right by the edge of the cliff look much better than the trees arranged in a grid, in my opinion, and allow you to show off the tree trunks more prominently while making the forest seem more dense.

Old 2 Weeks Ago (05:56 AM).
carmaniac
Where the pickle surprise at?

Nature: Relaxed
I'm just practising at the moment in getting back into the game, pointers about what's good and bad in the mapping would be much appreciated. Go easy on me though, not mapped in just over a year it would seem.

Spoiler:

Pokémon: Lost Souls.

Developed by Carmaniac.
Old 2 Weeks Ago (10:53 AM).
Florio
Pokemon Crimson Skies Owner

Nature: Lax
Quote originally posted by carmaniac:
I'm just practising at the moment in getting back into the game, pointers about what's good and bad in the mapping would be much appreciated. Go easy on me though, not mapped in just over a year it would seem.

Spoiler:
It seems like a really good map to me. You have made good use of all the tiles you used and there is no space that seems overused/underused. I would give this map a 9/10 for sure.
Old 2 Weeks Ago (02:56 PM).
Rayquaza.
Lead Dev in Pokémon Chaos

Nature: Adamant
Quote originally posted by Java's Missingno.:
Not 100% sure why you tilted the image, but I'm not a big fan of the gradient trees or no-outline style. That said, the arrangement seems decent but I don't understand why there is a little ledge at the top. Additionally, the map doesn't have any tall grass, so I can only assume that this area is meant to showcase the tiles you have done or possibly be an area with a focus on story. Also, the staggered trees right by the edge of the cliff look much better than the trees arranged in a grid, in my opinion, and allow you to show off the tree trunks more prominently while making the forest seem more dense.
I tilted the image to prevent tile theft. The trees don't have gradient as such, it shading which is what all trees have (although the resolution of these tiles is far higher than that of gamefreaks). The map is to showcase the new tiles and not the quality of mapping as I know I can do better than that. The set is also only about 10% finished as I haven't gotten to the tall grass (I may skip that as these tiles aren't intended for Pokémon) or any buildings yet.

Quote originally posted by carmaniac:

Spoiler:
Well it seems you haven't lost any of the skill you had. If anything taking a break from gamedev is a good thing for mapping as it can change the way you look at your own mapping style because you haven't been doing it constantly.
Old 1 Week Ago (03:23 PM).
Java's Missingno.
Notoriously Overscoped

Not particularly looking for feedback on the map's graphics since it's mostly placeholder assets, but here's the current map of Podunk as seen from the Unity editor. Now that overworld collision and NPC interaction are easily scriptable, it'll be a much more pleasant process to implement maps, and then replace the placeholder assets with game assets as Joey makes them.

The main focus of the area is a fairly open feel, since it's the starting town and not meant to incorporate much detail. (Scope-wise, visualize the starting town in B2/W2) To the northeast is the Jade Emperor, a Chinese restaurant where you can buy healing items, and in the center of town is a fireworks stand, were you can buy consumable attack items. To the west is the Rumford Corporation office building and the highway, and to the north is Mt. Podunk.
Attached Thumbnails
PodunkOverview.png‎  

Old 20 Hours Ago (11:58 PM).
DarkDoom3000
Super Pokemon Eevee Edition

Nature: Calm
After spending so much time in SPEE doing background systems related stuff and rewriting story bits, i've finally started making new areas again, and goddddddaaaammm it feels good. I really feel like im hitting my stride with this gen2 graphic style.

Quote:
click to enlarge
Never really done a proper beach map, which are always a bit strange in pokemon, because you don't really have wild battles due to lack of tall grass.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links