• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen The Sevii

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
In FireRed and LeafGreen, unlike their pre-makes, we had chance to access locations referred to as Sevii Islands.

Sevii Islands consist of seven, as the name implies, small islands, and they're based off anime's Orange Islands, which Ash and his pals had gotten to visit throughout end of their original season, if I'm not mistaken. Some of these areas are reachable before we defeat Pokémon League (hopefully, I'm not wrong), while others are unlocked after.

When it comes to Sevii Islands, how would we say we feel? Of all these places, which is our most favorite, and why so? If we were to make changes to these islands to make our experience better, how would we go about that?

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
Years
In FireRed and LeafGreen, unlike their pre-makes, we had chance to access locations referred to as Sevii Islands.

Sevii Islands consist of seven nine, as the name implies, small islands, and they're based off anime's Orange Islands, which Ash and his pals had gotten to visit throughout end of their original season, if I'm not mistaken. Some of these areas are reachable before we defeat Pokémon League (hopefully, I'm not wrong), while others are unlocked after.

When it comes to Sevii Islands, how would we say we feel? Of all these places, which is our most favorite, and why so? If we were to make changes to these islands to make our experience better, how would we go about that?
Can't forget about Birth Rock and Navel Isle, though those two are event only. In general I love the islands. I wish you could catch more Pokemon in them, as there were so many mysterious places there that looked like they might be hiding something, like Pattern Bush. Speaking of, did you know there were originally gonna be up to around 20 islands in all? There's data in the game for islands 18 and 20, but most were cut, and only nine made it into the game.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Can't forget about Birth Rock and Navel Isle, though those two are event only. In general I love the islands. I wish you could catch more Pokemon in them, as there were so many mysterious places there that looked like they might be hiding something, like Pattern Bush. Speaking of, did you know there were originally gonna be up to around 20 islands in all? There's data in the game for islands 18 and 20, but most were cut, and only nine made it into the game.

I do know that there were going to be more islands, but not 20...that's a lot. I bet since they were working on FrLg and Emerald at the same time and had close releases for them (in their country of origin aka Japan) they ran out of time, perhaps taking time to focus on Emerald's frontier over FireRed and LeafGreen's Sevii islands. Though...it would've been fun if GF had debuted the BF in the Sevii islands, one for each of the main seven.

Reactions: Sun
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
I have a lot to say about these islands, and most of it isn't positive.

The original RBY had a pretty barren postgame (especially compared to GSC), so it's understandable that they would want to fix that in FRLG... But, this group of tiny, boring islands wasn't exactly what I (and many others) were thinking of.

Supposedly, an NPC says in the games that the Sevii Islands are called "Sevii" because they were created in seven days, which is exactly what I can believe in regards to Game Freak's offices. They really didn't put any effort into these islands at all.

The Sevii Islands had no identity. Despite being a more "tropical" location, they used the exact same tilesets from Kanto and the exact same music as Johto. They didn't even have their own League or any kind of culture or backstory to speak of. Instead, all they were was a dumping ground for stuff that GF was too lazy to give us in Kanto, such as Breeding, Berries, a Battle Facility (however poor it was), and of course, a few weak, underleveled Gen 2 Pokémon.

And, those fetch quests were terrible, especially the long, tedious one you had to complete just to be able to trade with RSE. Whoever thought it was a good idea to put Braille in these games? Thank goodness the later remakes scrapped this nonsense and let you trade with the main pair right from the get-go.

If GF wanted to give Gen 1 a post game, they should've just given us the real deal instead of trying (and failing) to make their own version. With Orange, we would've gotten a completely brand new region with its own (unique) League, different scenery, and varied backstory. In short, a region with identity.

And, if they were too scared of borrowing anything from the anime, then they should've just given us that other region Sevii was trying (and failing) to be. Hey, it's right next door to Kanto, and it's not like we ever saw what Johto was like 3 years before Gen 2. Plus, HGSS were still a good 5-6 years away, and I'm sure many people would've liked to have gotten their Johto fix before then. (Especially, since 2004-05 was around the time GSC batteries started dying off.)

Suffice to say, if the Sevii Islands ever return to the games (like in a 3DS Gen 1 remake), they're going to need to get a HUGE makeover before they'll pass my standards. Give them things like a backstory and their own League, for starters. Graphics and music that weren't ripped off from Kanto and Johto would be nice, too. And, what about all of those extra islands that were seemingly scrapped at the last minute?

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Mar 30, 2015
I have a lot to say about these islands, and most of it isn't positive.

The original RBY had a pretty barren postgame (especially compared to GSC), so it's understandable that they would want to fix that in FRLG... But, this group of tiny, boring islands wasn't exactly what I (and many others) were thinking of.

Supposedly, an NPC says in the games that the Sevii Islands are called "Sevii" because they were created in seven days, which is exactly what I can believe in regards to Game Freak's offices. They really didn't put any effort into these islands at all.

The Sevii Islands had no identity. Despite being a more "tropical" location, they used the exact same tilesets from Kanto and the exact same music as Johto. They didn't even have their own League or any kind of culture or backstory to speak of. Instead, all they were was a dumping ground for stuff that GF was too lazy to give us in Kanto, such as Breeding, Berries, a Battle Facility (however poor it was), and of course, a few weak, underleveled Gen 2 Pokémon.

And, those fetch quests were terrible, especially the long, tedious one you had to complete just to be able to trade with RSE. Whoever thought it was a good idea to put Braille in these games? Thank goodness the later remakes scrapped this nonsense and let you trade with the main pair right from the get-go.

If GF wanted to give Gen 1 a post game, they should've just given us the real deal instead of trying (and failing) to make their own version. With Orange, we would've gotten a completely brand new region with its own (unique) League, different scenery, and varied backstory. In short, a region with identity.

And, if they were too scared of borrowing anything from the anime, then they should've just given us that other region Sevii was trying (and failing) to be. Hey, it's right next door to Kanto, and it's not like we ever saw what Johto was like 3 years before Gen 2. Plus, HGSS were still a good 5-6 years away, and I'm sure many people would've liked to have gotten their Johto fix before then. (Especially, since 2004-05 was around the time GSC batteries started dying off.)

Suffice to say, if the Sevii Islands ever return to the games (like in a 3DS Gen 1 remake), they're going to need to get a HUGE makeover before they'll pass my standards. Give them things like a backstory and their own League, for starters. Graphics and music that weren't ripped off from Kanto and Johto would be nice, too. And, what about all of those extra islands that were seemingly scrapped at the last minute?

Have played through FRLG many times and the Sevii Islands are horribly boring. The only use I have for them is to collect any pokemon I need to complete my dex. Other than that, they are horribly boring and the story is weak. They could have sued their own league, or even mini league, like maybe 3-4 trainers. Throw in a couple rewards and some more new pokemon and I would have actually enjoyed them.

Years
I remember enjoying the Sevii Islands quite a bit back when FRLG were new, in the mid 2000s. There were a handful of trainers I remember battling on Seven Island with the Vs Seeker so many times, like those two CoolTrainers and the Pokémon Ranger with the Chansey. But all the exhibits had a couple areas that I enjoyed exploring, such as the Green Road. It wasn't one of the best post-game experiences out there, but it was alright.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
I'm totally fine with the addition of new places, but it would have been better if the Battle Frontier from Emerald made their debut in each islands. The quests can be better as well.

Back